The creepiness that is Facebook

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The creepiness that is Facebook

Postby crikkett » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Elvis wrote:
Found this while surfing:

You can also find support through resources like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and Psychology Today's online listing of [b]counselors and therapists[/b].

What if it's product placement?
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Elvis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 pm

crikkett wrote:
Elvis wrote:
Found this while surfing:

You can also find support through resources like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and Psychology Today's online listing of [b]counselors and therapists[/b].

What if it's product placement?

Very interesting. And I wonder if someone (e.g. Facebook) gets a kickback for every "click-through" to treatment.

I'm telling people, "get out of Facebook, while you can!" :lol2:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Elvis wrote:
Nordic wrote:If you have enough money to invest in the stock market AND short a stock, short the shit out of FB.

I wish I could.

Schadenfreude, sure. But in this case it's a sure thing. Watch it fall to five or six bucks and stay there for a good long time.

Young people are abandoning it by droves.

Somebody must be making a lot of money off the Facebook stock "fail."

Oh absolutely. I saw an article the other day, can't remember where and i can't look fot it right now, which described how the very lawyers who set up the IPO were set to make something like a hundred million bucks upon the tanking of the stock and that they had set it up that way on purpose. You know, as a "hedge".
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 am

facebook = AOL/GEnie/Prodigy/CompuServe for the internet. :wink
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby justdrew » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Hacker group Anonymous has outed the creep who allegedly bullied Canada teen Amanda Todd — who killed herself on October 10.

Anonymous says Kody Maxson, 30, a Facebook employee from New Westminster, British Columbia, is the one who made explicit photos of Amanda Todd public. This started a chain of events that led to Todd's depression, drug use, alcohol abuse and eventual suicide. Anonymous posted Maxson's name, age, username and location onto a pastebin page.

http://www.heavy.com/news/2012/10/anonymous-names-creep-who-allegedly-bullied-amanda-todd-into-suicide/

http://pastebin.com/X4pd8bLM

http://motleynews.net/2012/10/16/has-amanada-todds-online-extortionist-turned-himself-in/

Got some new intel, A man was arrested in vancover who happened to be named Dakota Maxson for sexual assault charges.
justdrew

Postby elfismiles » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 am

Facebook Is New Bouncer At Finnegan’s Irish Pub in Stockton (Video)
August 22, 2013 11:47 PM
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/08/ ... -stockton/
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby conniption » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:11 am

Facebook Fraud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag

Veritasium

Published on Feb 10, 2014

Evidence Facebook's revenue is based on fake likes.
My first vid on the problem with Facebook: http://bit.ly/1dXudqY
I know first-hand that Facebook's advertising model is deeply flawed. When I paid to promote my page I gained 80,000 followers in developing countries who didn't care about Veritasium (but I wasn't aware of this at the time). They drove my reach and engagement numbers down, basically rendering the page useless. I am not the only one who has experienced this. Rory Cellan-Jones had the same luck with Virtual Bagel: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-...

The US Department of State spent $630,000 to acquire 2 million page likes and then realized only 2% were engaged. http://wapo.st/1glcyZo

I thought I would demonstrate that the same thing is still happening now by creating Virtual Cat (http://www.facebook.com/MyVirtualCat). I was surprised to discover something worse - false likes are coming from everywhere, including Canada, the US, the UK, and Australia. So even those carefully targeting their campaigns are likely being duped into spending real money on fake followers. Then when they try to reach their followers they have to pay again.

And it's possible to be a victim of fake likes without even advertising. Pages that end up on Facebook's "International Suggested Pages" are also easy targets for click-farms seeking to diversify their likes. http://tnw.co/NsflrC

Thanks to Henry, Grey, and Nessy for feedback on earlier drafts of this video.
conniption

Postby Hunter » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Caved in made a FB page 6 months ago, quickly built up 300 friends and family. News feed from them all drove me nuts. Old high school bullies and druggies now pushing Jesus on everyone. Old high school hotties bitching about abusive husbands and their 15 kids, almost everyone sharing happy experiences with new meds like prozac, adderal and ambien, many in recovery and living in shelters of some sort. LOTS of religious and AA zealotry and people posting hundreds of pics of their kids doing everything from eating a happy meal to trying on new clothes at store. Everyone posting and taking pictures of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Did I mention past assholes now being hard core religious fundies and trying to push it on everyone to save them? It is fucking maddening, deleted it two weeks ago and no plans to go back.
Hunter

Postby Dioneo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:44 pm

I just deactivated my account two days ago after an 18 month experiment. My experience was not as extreme as Hunter's, but it was damned irritating. (I never let my friend count get over 120--that helped.) What I found most disturbing were the people who would post shit 12-15 times a day (intelligent, well educated people, too).

Having serious discussions was fucking impossible. No one there can think beyond ironic hipster quippiness. If that. Lots of idiotic postcards with moronic platitudes (mistakenly referred to as "memes"). Unlike Hunter, however, I wasn't bombarded with AA; rather, countless pictures of the glasses of wine and cocktails that were about to be consumed (because, of course, I quit drinking a few years ago...) (Maybe Hunter and I should switch accounts lol...)

But the biggest reason I nixed it finally was because I found I was developing what I call FBINS: Facebook Induced Narcissistic Syndrome. When I first joined, I wouldn't post more often than once every couple of weeks. In the last month or so I had my first multi-post day. I started to wonder how long it would be before I was one of those sad cases making multiple posts a day. And, to be pathetically honest, I have found myself suffering a bit of FB withdrawal, despite the fact that it is something that almost never enriched my life. Well, thank Krishna for books.
Dioneo

Postby Elvis » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:33 pm

It seems Facebook is mandatory for bands; venue owners want to see a FB page. So I recently had to start a FB account for our band to have a page (no one else would do it). I hate it. We're only on there for "Likes" and the occasional chatter, to show that we're "popular."

FB keeps showing and suggesting people from my past whom I do not ever want to contact. Ugh.

I did notice that almost all Facebook posts are shorter than Twitter's 140 characters.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:47 pm

My most active facebook friend is a feminist musician who works in a tech field and who also happens to be brilliant. She posts maybe five times a day, and in just taking a quick look at her page I find the subject matter of each to be perfectly agreeable and/or interesting. I consider myself lucky.

This is making me feel as though I am some sort of social snob (which I might be).

Facebook itself is creepy, I barely use it — but there's no way I'm going to begrudge individual users as an entity. If you're going to use it, I suggest connecting with other researchers, investigative journalists, and activists — people who at least share your passions.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Yea that was my mistake, I should have kept my contacts to people I actually share opinions and viewpoints with, activists and freelance writers and such instead of everyone from high school, most of which I really have nothing in common with anymore and really dont care to get back involved in their lives anymore. I didnt understand what FB really was as I was letting all these people in to my friends list, now that I know if I did it again I would keep the list small and with people I can actually communicate with and share interests with. It can certainly be good for those purposes.
Hunter

Postby Nordic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:59 pm

That's how I use it, and thus customized it can be a pretty great real-time info resource. I follow a ton of people and organizations that I've never met in person.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Hunter » 21 Apr 2014 11:22 wrote:Yea that was my mistake, I should have kept my contacts to people I actually share opinions and viewpoints with, activists and freelance writers and such instead of everyone from high school, most of which I really have nothing in common with anymore and really dont care to get back involved in their lives anymore. I didnt understand what FB really was as I was letting all these people in to my friends list, now that I know if I did it again I would keep the list small and with people I can actually communicate with and share interests with. It can certainly be good for those purposes.

I'd be willing to use it on that basis, but not if I "have" to use a real name.
justdrew

Postby Hunter » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Nah you can use any name you want. I may make another using a fake name because there was some people and groups that I did follow that offered some really good insight and information and ideas but all the other clutter I let in made it impossible to enjoy or ultilize any of it. I have made the same mistake on twitter, started following way too many people and now I whittled it down to just activists and writers and alt news and such and it is much more enjoyable and quite a valuable resource for quick information exchange. And on twitter even more so you can actually interact with people you would normally not be able to, most of them actually respond to tweets, it is pretty cool. Thinking on it now I like twitter much better than FB by leaps and bounds.
Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion