The creepiness that is Facebook

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The creepiness that is Facebook

Postby FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:24 am

No, I don't think what happened was shadow banning. It is just straight up banning. Total erasure. I logged back in checked: Almost 3000 tweets. Gone.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby alloneword » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:31 am

You stated:
FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 am wrote:I could still log in and see my own posts, but when I just logged out to check out of curiosity what strangers see when they go to my profile now, I saw that it was all gone.

That is shadowbanning. It looks like your account was deleted (proper banning) subsequently.
alloneword

Postby FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 am

alloneword » 01 Nov 2019 06:31 wrote:You stated:
FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:00 am wrote:I could still log in and see my own posts, but when I just logged out to check out of curiosity what strangers see when they go to my profile now, I saw that it was all gone.

That is shadowbanning. It looks like your account was deleted (proper banning) subsequently.

No. It was never shadowbanning. Just banning.

I can still log in and see my own posts. I'm in the middle of copy-pasting all 2,996 tweets to a Word document. But if anyone looks at my profile who isn't me, I am erased. I mean, I'm thankful the motherfuckers didn't completely delete the account so that not even I could see anything. But they are still breathtakingly fascist pieces of shit and this is still dystopian as fuck.
FourthBase

Postby alloneword » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

They didn't delete your account, no one could see your posts, but you could when you were logged in?

Mmmm... Yup. Shadowbanning.
alloneword

Postby FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 pm

alloneword » 01 Nov 2019 10:02 wrote:They didn't delete your account, no one could see your posts, but you could when you were logged in?

Mmmm... Yup. Shadowbanning.

NO. IT IS NOT SHADOWBANNING.

Shadow banning (also called stealth banning, ghost banning or comment ghosting[1]) is the act of blocking or partially blocking a user or their content from an online community such that it will not be readily apparent to the user that they have been banned. For instance, shadow banned comments posted to a blog or media site won't be visible to other persons accessing that site from their computers.
By partly concealing, or making a user's contributions invisible or less prominent to other members of the service, the hope may be that in the absence of reactions to their comments, the problematic or otherwise out-of-favour user will become bored or frustrated and leave the site, and that spammers and trolls will not create new accounts.[1][2][3]

IT'S JUST A GOOD OLD-FASHIONED BANNING, MAN.

You mentioned convenience, and that reminded me:

p.s. I posted my entire banned Twitter history as a data dump just for the record:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41929
FourthBase

Postby FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

https://twitter.com/ChandlerPablo

What do you see?

Same as I see when I log out: Nothing. Suspended. Deleted.

When I log in, I don't get to post anything. I'm not even allowed to see my direct messages anymore. Those are completely gone. I am not in any way being given the impression by Twitter that I haven't been banned. It's not that I'm still allowed to post and I just don't realize my posts are invisible. THAT would be shadowbanning. No, they made me fully aware that they were permanently blocking me. I just didn't realize that that meant that EVERY SINGLE THING YOU'VE EVER POSTED IS REMOVED.
FourthBase

Postby alloneword » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:15 pm

When I log in, I don't get to post anything. I'm not even allowed to see my direct messages anymore. Those are completely gone. I am not in any way being given the impression by Twitter that I haven't been banned.

Well, why didn't you say so, then? :D

Having read some of what you were posting on Twitter, I'm not at all surprised you got banned. Are you?
alloneword

Postby FourthBase » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm

alloneword » 01 Nov 2019 13:15 wrote:
When I log in, I don't get to post anything. I'm not even allowed to see my direct messages anymore. Those are completely gone. I am not in any way being given the impression by Twitter that I haven't been banned.

Well, why didn't you say so, then? :D

Having read some of what you were posting on Twitter, I'm not at all surprised you got banned. Are you?

Not really. I know I'm an asshole. I'm foul-mouthed and belligerent. I did tell some British dickhead who thinks ridicule should be banned that if people like him try to take away the rights of Americans that we will literally kill them in a violent revolt. I don't think that's a threat, just a fact. It's happened before, it'll happen again. If some Haitian tweets at Europeans that they'd better not think of trying to enslave Haiti again or they'll be killed, is that a threat or promotion of violence? Or just a fact? When do we get to WARN people? How? If I think the left wing is so fucking deluded that it might actually wind up destroying our rights and launching a civil war, how do I phrase that without it being possible to misread it as a threat? Anyway, the specific tweet that got me banned was an expression of apathy. Apathy. "Go ahead and die, you vicious delusional imbeciles, be my guest." Do you realize that that means indifference is no longer allowed? Ultimately, though, even if I got banned, and I knew I was flirting with a ban, I had NO FUCKING IDEA that my entire Twitter history would be blanked out. I just thought I'd be locked out, maybe have some "offending tweets" erased.
FourthBase

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 am

Duncan Campbell
@dcampbell_iptv

20 hours ago, 8 tweets, 4 min read

Complete new leaked Facebook confidential documents will be online to assist the International Grand Committee on Disinformation and Fake News, meeting in Ireland on Wednesday.
International Grand Committee on Disinformation and ‘Fake News’ Dublin, Ireland – Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th November 2019 – 25 Oct 2019, 11.00 – Houses of the Oireachtas
Parliamentarians from ten countries have confirmed attendance at the International Grand Committee (IGC) on Disinformation and ‘Fake News’, which takes place in Leinster House, Dublin on Wednesday, 6…
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/press-cent ... ember-2019
@carolecadwalla, @DamianCollins , @JoStevensLabour, @profcarroll, @ashk4n
At noon on Wednesday, Dublin time, I + others will publish full copies of 6,971 pages of Facebook confidential and legal documents, leaked in February. Some are documents used by @commonscms in their report on Facebook. Download sites will be identified Wednesday.
Since then, key media partners @computerweekly, @nbcnews, @williamrt, @oliviasolon, @cfarivar have had full exclusive access to all the documents for investigative reporting, for a decisive serious of reports since March 2019.
1,210 of the pages to be released are marked "HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL" by Facebook. The documents evidence multiple breaches of the FTC settlement agreed by Facebook, leading to the record breaking $5 billion fine agreed in July.
Facebook leaks reveal anti-competitive projects to shut down thousands of app developers unless they paid Facebook through in-house advertising subsidiary, methods used by Facebook to deceives users about privacy, and to monetise their data, secretly allowing favoured companies.
The practice allowed abuses like Cambridge Analytica. Chosen companies could copy data from millions of online "friends". And much more ...
I am putting the full leaked documents into the public domain so that regulators, litigants can have fullest possible information. Last week I arranged for copies to go to US Congress, to help the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law.
In September, the Subcommittee asked for all the documents. Facebook have ignored the request. I provided them.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1191 ... 79232.html

International Grand Committee on Disinformation and ‘Fake News’ Dublin, Ireland – Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th November 2019
25 Oct 2019, 11.00
Parliamentarians from ten countries have confirmed attendance at the International Grand Committee (IGC) on Disinformation and ‘Fake News’, which takes place in Leinster House, Dublin on Wednesday, 6th and Thursday, 7th November.
Hildegarde Naughton TD, Chairperson of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communication, Climate Action and Environment, will chair the meeting.
“The International Grand Committee, which is representative of hundreds of millions of citizens, met in London and Ottawa previously. I am delighted that the third meeting is being hosted in Ireland. We will be joined by parliamentarians from ten other countries including the United States and Australia who are participating for the first time,” Deputy Naughton said.
How to advance international collaboration in the regulation of harmful content, hate speech and electoral interference online is the theme of the meeting. At the end of the deliberations, the IGC intends to agree a set of principles to underpin international collaboration in tackling these issues while at the same time respecting freedom of speech.
Deputy Naughton said: “It’s significant that this meeting is being held in Dublin which is home to the European headquarters of social media giants; Google, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Social media has created a connected, online global community but concerns around fake news, transparency in political advertising, the protection of young people and vulnerable adults from harmful content and online privacy and security are intensifying.
“The International Grand Committee brings together international parliamentarians with a particular responsibility in this area. Together, we hope that this significant meeting in Dublin will lead to the creation of a roadmap to ensure a safer and more secure online experience for everyone.”
Parliamentarians will be welcomed to Leinster House for a preliminary one hour private meeting of the International Grand Committee in Committee Room 2 at 6pm on the 6 November.
A full day meeting will take place in the Seanad Chamber on Thursday, 7 November
Speakers on the day include Data Protection Commissioner, Helen Dixon, UK Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham and award winning journalist and 2019 Pulitzer prize nominee Carole Cadwalladr.
Representatives of social media companies Facebook, Youtube EMEA, Google and Twitter will all make presentations during the meeting before questions are put to them by IGC Members.
There are five distinct sessions throughout the day from 9am to 6pm which are:
The Evidence. What does the evidence on online harms, hate speech and electoral interference tell us about the nature of the problem? What most urgently needs to be addressed?
Industry perspective. How can industry be a part of the solution?
The state of play in regulation. What are relevant existing regulatory structures, how will they change and what legislative proposals are pending.
International collaboration. How can national parliaments come together on the issue of regulation.
Deliberation.
Deputy Naughton is joined on the IGC by her Oireachtas Communications Committee colleagues; Deputies James Lawless and Eamon Ryan.

They will be joined by 15 parliamentarians from Argentina, Finland, Georgia, Singapore, USA, Estonia, France, Australia, United Kingdom and Sweden.
Each expert witness at Thursday’s meeting will make a short opening statement. This will be followed by a Questions and Answer session.
The full agenda can be viewed here.
NOTE:
Parliamentarians attending are: Leopoldo Moreau, (Argentina, Chair, Freedom of Expression Commission, Chamber of Deputies); Tom Packalén, MP (Finland); Nino Goguadze, (Georgia, Chair of Foreign Relations Committee); Dr Janil Puthucheary, (Singapore, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Communications and Information); Amrin Amin, (Singapore, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs); Congressman David N. Cicilline, (USA Chairman of Sub-Committee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law, House of Representatives); Keit Pentus-Rosimannus, MP, (Estonia, Vice-Chairwoman, Reform Party); Catherine Morin-Desailly, (France, Chair of Senate Culture and Education Committee); Milton Dick MP (Australia); Senator Carol Brown (Australia); Damien Collins MP, (UK, Chair of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee); Ian Lucas MP, (UK, Member of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee); Jo Stevens MP, (UK, Member of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee); Lord David Puttnam, (UK, Chair of the House of Lords Select Committee for Democracy and Digital Technology); Momodou Malcolm Jallow, (Sweden, Member of the Riksdag, Left Party).
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/press-cent ... mber-2019/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:34 pm

"We quickly fixed an issue where someone could see who edited or published a post on behalf of a Page when looking at its edit history," said the company in a statement. "We are grateful to the security researcher who alerted us to this issue."

Facebook says the bug was the result of a code update that it pushed Thursday evening. It's not something most people would have encountered on their own, since it took navigating to a Page, viewing an edit history, and realizing that there shouldn't be a name and profile picture assigned to edits to exploit it. Still, despite the Friday morning fix, screenshots circulated on 4chan, Imgur, and social media appearing to show the accounts behind the official Facebook Pages of the pseudonymous artist Banksy, Russian president Vladimir Putin, former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, the hacking collective Anonymous, climate activist Greta Thunberg, and rapper Snoop Dogg, among others.

Facebook points out that no information beyond a name and public profile link were available, but that information isn't supposed to appear in the edit history at all. And for people, say, running anti-regime Pages under a repressive government, making even that much information public is plenty alarming. -Wired
Belligerent Savant

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:13 am

An fyi cross-post on FB censorship experienced this morning. Follow link for the screenshots.

JackRiddler » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:57 am wrote:.

This could go in a different thread - on impeachment, or censorship practics - but to me the impeachment story is the new season of #Russiagate.

As you probably know, during the proceedings last night (30 Jan), senators were allowed to ask questions only by submitting them in writing to Roberts in advance. Rand Paul submitted a question which he used the name (known for months) of the alleged White House whistleblower from the CIA, although phrased such that it did not identify this person, Eric Ciaramella, as the whistleblower. Roberts refused to read it. Paul went out to the press and read his question, and then tweeted the text, thus "revealing" the alleged whistleblower's name.

In an FB discussion, someone asked who Paul had named. Remember, this was already online at Paul's twitter feed, and still is. I responded as in the screenshot. Next morning, FB had banned me from posting for 24 hours, for facilitating or abetting crime!

SCREENSHOTS AT LINK...

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:08 pm

That's fucked. Thought so yesterday. But no link, Jack.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm

82_28 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:08 pm wrote:That's fucked. Thought so yesterday. But no link, Jack.

Yes, follow the link to the quoted matter from the other thread to see the screenshots. (When I upload images to show in a given thread, for whatever reason, these do not appear in the quoted version of the same post on another thread.)

Also, as you will read there, the punishment was not actually carried out. Mysterious!

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:38 pm

There ain't no link, Jack.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 pm

82_28 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm wrote:There ain't no link, Jack.

YES THERE IS.

Every time you use the quote function, it makes a link to the original matter being quoted.

JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion