If you have nothing to hide . . . nothing to worry about.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: If you have nothing to hide . . . nothing to worry about

Postby Nordic » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:48 am

brekin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 pm wrote:
If you have nothing to hide . . . nothing to worry about.

That is a pretty easy one. Next time some one says that just ask them for their email password, their house key or to look through their wallet, etc.
If they balk just tell them "if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about."
So ask them again. The dialogue will probably go like this.

"Let me have your email password."
"But I don't want to."
"Why, do you have something to hide?"
"No."
"Then you have nothing to worry about, let me have your email password."
"I don't want to."
"Then you have something to hide."
"No, it just isn't any of your business, it's private."
"But if I worked for the government it would be ok, right?"
"Well, um...

Yeah, exactly. End of story.

And wasn't that basically Greenwald's response when he was hit with that on some dumbass talking-head show?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby OP ED » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:10 am

OP ED has nothing to hide.

OP ED has nothing to worry about except for whatever worrisome thing it is that makes it such that OP ED should be worrying about whether OP ED has something to worry about.

oh bother.
OP ED

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 am

End of story indeed, Nordic. You've broken the law by not breaking one. Everybody was all over this, for instance, at slashdot today as well.

This is sheer absurdity at its finest. Honestly, I do not know how the fuck they do it and then look at themselves the next morning as they go out to their next meeting.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:34 am

Alchemy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:45 am wrote:
thatsmystory » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 am wrote:Where do you hide when the government criminalizes dissent? That is a key aspect of this and explains government use of the Espionage Act. How do you get real information when the government is spying on sources to prevent journalists from reporting?

This is something that cannot be stressed enough, the ability to speak out against your government, expose corruption and have a press that is willing and able to help you do such is the very bedrock upon which a free society is built, without it there is no free society and we are very close to that point, very very close.

In this country right now we are handing out stiffer criminal penalties to whistle-blowers, leakers, politcal dissidents and activists than we are murders and rapists and that is a major, major problem. The Obama administration in particular has taken a harder line against these types of people than any other administration in recent memory and they are setting some very dangerous precedents in doing so.

Indeed. And when the what we understand as the "traditional winger" get hold of it with "someone in power" it will be hell to pay. Face it, they hate us. Why? Because we kept ourselves free with this constant barrage of infotainmentaganda. It held no sway with us. Yes we felt bad, we marched, we did what needed to be done and we still do, however it had little to no effect. It is not legal to give a fuck about something helpless. Admitting being unswayed by their excesses is a crime, I am afraid.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cedars of Overburden » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:38 am

Sometime very soon after having just barely learned about sex, I read a standard issue Cold War story in the Readers Digest by a Chinese refugee who wrote about escaping from a Cultural Revolution re-education camp. She and her husband were sent there and when they'd behaved well enough for long enough they were permitted conjugal visits. In fact, conjugal visits were kind of demanded of them. They were allowed to be together in a bunk bed screened by a curtain observed by a guard. They were expected to have sex and chit chat. They were, apparently, being expected to demonstrate that they would not have counter revolutionary conversations when they got together in bed. She wrote that this was the worst thing that happened to her during the entire Cultural Revolution. She and her husband were upper middle class professors and they weren't treated very well but being expected to have sex with that curtain the only privacy was the worst thing that happened. Her story stuck in my mind as something that I think is, in fact, one of the very worst things that could happen to a person.

If you have nothing to hide, it means you have no intimacy. It means you have no heart or tenderness. It means you have no true connection with another human being. It means you are on the road to no longer being human. It violates marriage. It violates family. It violates friendship. It violates all human ties except the state and that violates the very idea of humanity itself.

This brings up some interesting thoughts about modesty, but I know better than to go there on this board. I'll leave it at if you have nothing to hide, you no longer have any modesty. I'll leave it at this: for the past 12 months I've been haunted by a new strange longing to go veiled. Though I am a hick feminist Protestant, I want a mantilla, a chapel veil, a Mennonite cap, something, I don't know what....
Cedars of Overburden

Postby slimmouse » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Cedars of Overburden wrote:
If you have nothing to hide, it means you have no intimacy. It means you have no heart or tenderness. It means you have no true connection with another human being. It means you are on the road to no longer being human. It violates marriage. It violates family. It violates friendship. It violates all human ties except the state and that violates the very idea of humanity itself.

A beautifully articulated reminder that ultimately this is unequivocally as much of a spriritual war being waged against humanity, as it is about any other factors we may care to consider.

Amplifying fear energy in as many ways as possible, including elimination of the emotional signals of love and empathy. Many a notably recorded legend would have us believe that this would be precisely the kind of tactic we might expect of the Archons. After all, everyone needs to eat.

Whatever you make of the above, I just feel its high time we got off our knees, come what may.
Last edited by slimmouse on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Hunter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:27 pm

This sort of bullshit should really anger the voting public and wake them up to the fact that our elected representitives simply do not give a shit, for them to pull this bullshit and not even TRY to act the part and act interested is just beyond the fucking pale:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3057 ... ights-home

Senators skip classified briefing on NSA snooping to catch flights home
By Alexander Bolton - 06/15/13 06:00 AM ET

A recent briefing by senior intelligence officials on surveillance programs failed to attract even half of the Senate, showing the lack of enthusiasm in Congress for learning about classified security programs. [WATCH VIDEO]

Many senators elected to leave Washington early Thursday afternoon instead of attending a briefing with James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence, Keith Alexander, the head of the National Security Agency (NSA), and other officials.

Like I said, I realize none of it is going to change a damn thing but couldnt they at least ACT THE FUCKING PART just once, this no small matter and they just totally blew it off, not only incapable of caring but totally incapable of even PRETENDING to care.
Hunter

Postby slimmouse » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Alchemy » 15 Jun 2013 18:27 wrote:This sort of bullshit should really anger the voting public and wake them up to the fact that our elected representitives simply do not give a shit, for them to pull this bullshit and not even TRY to act the part and act interested is just beyond the fucking pale:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3057 ... ights-home

Senators skip classified briefing on NSA snooping to catch flights home
By Alexander Bolton - 06/15/13 06:00 AM ET

A recent briefing by senior intelligence officials on surveillance programs failed to attract even half of the Senate, showing the lack of enthusiasm in Congress for learning about classified security programs. [WATCH VIDEO]

Many senators elected to leave Washington early Thursday afternoon instead of attending a briefing with James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence, Keith Alexander, the head of the National Security Agency (NSA), and other officials.

Like I said, I realize none of it is going to change a damn thing but couldnt they at least ACT THE FUCKING PART just once, this no small matter and they just totally blew it off, not only incapable of caring but totally incapable of even PRETENDING to care.

Maybe we should also note the convenient timing of the address? Not that this is in any way an excuse for those with a plane to catch, if you get my drift.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby brekin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Cedars of Overburden wrote:
slimhouse wrote:
A beautifully articulated reminder that ultimately this is unequivocally as much of a spriritual war being waged against humanity, as it is about any other factors we may care to consider.

Yes! I feel like this is the shooting war against having an interior life while Facebook, cell phones, twitter, etc are basically the soft war. People are opting in to having their inner lives (unedited, without pause or reflection) broadcasted to the whole world continuously while the NSA and others are bringing online everything else. Why all this concerted effort to mine what people think? I mean advertisers have already gotten pretty good at selling us shit, the government has got a lock on truly devious WMD's, social media is becoming more of social hindrance than enabler because of the sheer asocial time investment, why the push for total transcription of our inner thoughts?
My guess is we are headed for a new inquisition of those who don't share the same neuro-cognitive faith of the ptb's. If for no other reason than no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Col Quisp » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:46 am

I miss Username!
Col Quisp

Postby Nordic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 am

I found this on, of course, Facebook.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby conniption » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:06 am

Col Quisp wrote:I miss Username!

Me too.

Do you think Jeff might let her return if she promises to remove the hex from RI and says she's sorry?
conniption

Postby Col Quisp » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 am

I did not realize she was banned. Whatever for?
Col Quisp

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 pm

"If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about."

I've got plenty to hide, and I sure as hell don't want the NSA knowing about it. :mad2
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I do have things to hide, I just know that they're not unethical or immoral.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion