is this board for the left-wing only?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: is this board for the left-wing only?

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote: If Clement Attlee, generally quit a good Prime Minister, had had the courage to massacre those holocaust survivors as they were sailing into infamy it would have saved a lot of lives in the long run. In stead they chickened out, under American pressure, and let the Jews in.

Can you expound on this please? Because it is sounding like you are advocating for what should have been the finishing off of Jewish holocaust survivors.
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Perelandra » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 pm

norton ash wrote:Right on, Wombat. Namaste.

Seconded, with thanks.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Peregrine wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote: If Clement Attlee, generally quit a good Prime Minister, had had the courage to massacre those holocaust survivors as they were sailing into infamy it would have saved a lot of lives in the long run. In stead they chickened out, under American pressure, and let the Jews in.

Can you expound on this please? Because it is sounding like you are advocating for what should have been the finishing off of Jewish holocaust survivors.

Yes, please do.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby 17breezes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Peregrine wrote:

No other way to read it. Glad he is out of the closet though. The more it happens here and out there the more it proves what I've been saying. The masks have been in place a LONG time but the truth is out there.

Here we have a leftist saying whatever's good for the greatest happiness even if means killing off Jews back in the day. I propose that he is one of a very large throng. Maybe even a majority.
"Go back to Auschwitz" Humanitarian peace activists, 2010.
17breezes

Postby Peregrine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 pm

17breezes wrote:I propose that he is one of a very large throng. Maybe even a majority.

I'd say that is a stretch, if you are talking about RI...
~don't let your mouth write a cheque your ass can't cash~
Peregrine

Postby Simulist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Stephen Morgan speaks for Stephen Morgan.

And he's certainly never been representative of posters on this board.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby 17breezes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Peregrine wrote:
17breezes wrote:I propose that he is one of a very large throng. Maybe even a majority.

I didn't say RI; I said the left. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
17breezes

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

The left, and he's a UKIP voter?
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby 17breezes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Jeff wrote:The left, and he's a UKIP voter?

So he's part of the red brown alliance.
17breezes

Postby Simulist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 pm

17breezes wrote:
Peregrine wrote:

I didn't say RI; I said the left. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

The "left" as it is in America deserves little but contempt, but your remarks remain a stretch, even for it.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Penguin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

Left wing of what?
Im sitting outside the hall, in any case. There is no up and down in space.

Wombat wrote:What disturbs me is observing my own patterns -- I'm usually reacting more to emotional triggers ("I cannot fucking believe this idiot just said that") and I usually respond by improvising a series of mentally available "data points" to act like I'm proving something I actually thought about.

When I examine situations like this, I invariably find that what I'm trying to prove is an inherited assumption I've never actually researched or pursued with any curiosity.

In trying to fast from political conversations, I find it's emotional triggers again that try to re-engage me. Based on first hand experience and second hand conjecture, it's all lizard brain monkey mouth noise.
Penguin

Postby yathrib » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 pm

While I don't have strong feelings about the Mumia case one way or the other, I can accept your reasoning *if* it applies to those who murdered Black Panthers like Fred Hampton in their beds as well.

As to whether this is a left wing only board, so much of right wing ideology rests upon demeaning people for race, sexual preference, religion, etc. I imagine those restrictions would rule out much of it on this board.

No, at least in my case.

I consider myself to be center-left, but then again I've been called a 'fascist' here. So who knows what I am. One of the reasons I like this place is that I can usually find a lot of information on a given issue. Then I might decide about it. Or not.

Let's take an issue for example: Mumia Abu Jamaal. I know for a fact there are plenty of Mumia supporters on this board. But if you look into his case closely and carefully enough, there is little doubt, IMO, in his guilt in the murder of Danny Faulkner: his gun, his holster, his bullets, his cab all at the scene. He never testified in his own defense, and neither did his brother, who was at the crime scene.

Apparently, it makes me some kind of a 'fascist' to believe that if you murder someone in cold blood, you should probably spend a good amount (like all) of your remaining years locked in a 5x8 cage separating you from the rest of humanity.

But I am certain there are people here who would have Mumia walk free, today, based soley on the fact that 25 cities around the world have granted him honorary citizenship. That's their right, I suppose, as it is mine to think he should be caged. Can they attempt to convince me otherwise? Of course. Just keep the discourse civil, and I will, in all likelihood, read what you have to say, digest it, and analyze it. That doesn't mean you will change my mind. But I will listen.
yathrib

Postby beeline » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:13 pm

yathrib wrote:While I don't have strong feelings about the Mumia case one way or the other, I can accept your reasoning *if* it applies to those who murdered Black Panthers like Fred Hampton in their beds as well.

Yes it does. I really cannot abide by murder--there is just SO much of it happening in my city--we average 300 murders or so a year in a city with a population under a million. Murder by anyone---the cops, the government, criminals, whomever---destroys families, society and the murderer.

Mumia's case of cause celebre I cite as an example of the stubborness and narrowmindedness I sometimes encounter among those who consider themselves 'liberal' and 'open-minded' yet are frequently the least open-minded people I encounter. They really believe that 'the system railroaded him,' and ignore the evidence at hand.
beeline

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm

RI seems to be a thinking person's forum. It would make sense that more intellectually sound arguments would be made here whatever their philosophical provenance. Those just typically happen to be historically "leftist".
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion