is this board for the left-wing only?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

is this board for the left-wing only?

Postby kool maudit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:32 pm

recent events leave me wondering whether the bulk of RIers feel traditionalist or right-leaning viewpoints should be barred from the board?

i don't really care save for a general aesthetic criticism of partisanism as a whole, but, you know, inquiring minds etc.
kool maudit

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: is this board for the left-wing only?

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Uh, wtf?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby kool maudit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:35 pm

the israel thing seems to have wound up exposing a sort of inner manicheanism here, a sense that there is only one acceptable "side."
kool maudit

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Nope, don't think so.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby alwyn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:46 pm

i thought it was for thinking people....which, now that you mention it, may leave much of the right wing out....
question authority?
alwyn

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:54 pm

No, it's not left-wing only, though I suppose it's predominently so.

This is an anti-fascist board. Propagation of fascist, neo-Nazi and "white pride" causes, including sympathetically linking to sites which advocate such, will not be permitted. This includes revisionist histories of the Holocaust.

Posts advocating violence, or espousing hatred of a people based upon race, religion, gender or sexuality, are not permitted.

Suggesting a poster is purposefully spreading disinformation is not permitted. The charge or insinuation of "disinfo agent" can almost never be proven, and it poisons and often ends the discourse. If you have evidence that a poster is a disinfo agent, IM me with it.

Please refrain from personal attacks, and let's try to keep arguments issue-based.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9030
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby beeline » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 pm

No, at least in my case.

I consider myself to be center-left, but then again I've been called a 'fascist' here. So who knows what I am. One of the reasons I like this place is that I can usually find a lot of information on a given issue. Then I might decide about it. Or not.

Let's take an issue for example: Mumia Abu Jamaal. I know for a fact there are plenty of Mumia supporters on this board. But if you look into his case closely and carefully enough, there is little doubt, IMO, in his guilt in the murder of Danny Faulkner: his gun, his holster, his bullets, his cab all at the scene. He never testified in his own defense, and neither did his brother, who was at the crime scene.

Apparently, it makes me some kind of a 'fascist' to believe that if you murder someone in cold blood, you should probably spend a good amount (like all) of your remaining years locked in a 5x8 cage separating you from the rest of humanity.

But I am certain there are people here who would have Mumia walk free, today, based soley on the fact that 25 cities around the world have granted him honorary citizenship. That's their right, I suppose, as it is mine to think he should be caged. Can they attempt to convince me otherwise? Of course. Just keep the discourse civil, and I will, in all likelihood, read what you have to say, digest it, and analyze it. That doesn't mean you will change my mind. But I will listen.
beeline

Postby stefano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:00 pm

kool maudit wrote:the israel thing seems to have wound up exposing a sort of inner manicheanism here, a sense that there is only one acceptable "side."

If you want to argue for ghettos, murder, lies, racism and a total disregard for law, please go right ahead. Some will be thrilled.
stefano

Postby kool maudit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:02 pm

slogans & histrionics.
kool maudit

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 pm

kool maudit est faux naif aujourd'hui.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby barracuda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pm

It's easy to be angry about the injustice in Palestine. It's a lot more difficult to cogently discuss solutions, particularly if part of the solution must be the tacit ongoing existence of Israel as a nation at all. If you don't think Israel can or should exist as a nation, then you should have the guts to say so, explain why, and accept the consequences of that belief.

It's all the beating around the bush that causes the bullshit.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby stefano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Erm, my point was that if you can substantiate your point of view, you're welcome to do so. Can you?
stefano

Postby kool maudit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 pm

norton ash wrote:kool maudit est faux naif aujourd'hui.

somewhat, but there's a point to it.
kool maudit

Postby nathan28 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:11 pm

kool maudit wrote:recent events leave me wondering whether the bulk of RIers feel traditionalist or right-leaning viewpoints should be barred from the board?

i don't really care save for a general aesthetic criticism of partisanism as a whole, but, you know, inquiring minds etc.

Boo fucking hoo. This ain't FOXNews. It's time for another "PC In-Crowd" whine-off, because you can't figure out a sound argument to support sentiments you have, and more to the point, don't want to do so and don't believe it possible to do so--which to me suggests, quite simply, you have not thought about those sentiments you hold so dear.

You all are a bunch of fucking whiners. "Piling on!" "Unfair" etc., etc. Hey, did I mention that the President of the United States is black? Man, that must be really unfair.

You already have access to equal time, through the "post" and "reply" functions. If you can't articulate a defense of whatever right wing principles, be they neoliberal tariffs-for-you-free-capital-flows-for-us trade policies, uncritical support for doomed apartheid regimes, disenfranchisement of women, ethnic minorities and the working class, state-sponsored terrorism like executive support for assassination programs, opposition to social democracy like health, old age and disability insurance, refusal to consider unpaid domestic labor as socially necessary, half-a-trillion-dollar military budgets, violation of basic human security rights in the name of torture "interrogations," increasing encroachment on civil liberties, regressive flat taxes that shift tax burdens onto the poor and middle class, etc., etc., you hope to promulgate, it's not my fault. If you love these things so much, and believe them to be so valid, I'd have assumed by now you could put together a defense of them.

I also simply fail to see why KILLING UNARMED AID WORKERS ON A CIVILIAN VESSEL is something necessarily due equal consideration as an important principle of right-wing political philosophy. So you may have to explain that to us. If people find your explanation wanting--tough shit.

Here's a hint: you'd stand half a fucking chance if you invoked vague and reactionary communitarian, primitivist or paleocon ideologies, or something like that. Even naive or vulgar libertarianism, which believes in a difference between Capital and the free market, does better than what I imagine is to follow... I'm not a lawyer or PR associate and the CIA won't return my phone calls to join Cass Sunstein's "cognitive infiltration" initiative so at present I'm not a hired gun in the world of battling ideas--so I'm not providing any more hints.
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

Postby norton ash » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Well, if you're admitting you're faux naif, you're saying you're being coy, childish, and disingenuous.

Not a good starting point for a thread, mon chou.
Zen horse
norton ash

Next

Return to General Discussion