Check out DIA while attending the Philip K Dick Fest!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Attention dickheads!

PHILIP K DICK FESTIVAL

COLORADO 2010
August 13, 14 & 15

Calling all fans of PHILIP K. DICK!

You are invited to come to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado in the Summer of 2010 to celebrate the Life and Imagination of this great American writer in the setting of his Hugo Award-winning novel
THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.

Join with fellow fans and discuss all things PKD while enjoying the natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains in the summertime.

This is the first, the biggest and the best Philip K. Dick Festival to be held in the United States.
In fact, a Festival so fantastic that it will take three Colorado mountain towns and two counties to hold it!

Contact your host, Lord Running Clam, for more information and check this website often as we progress in getting this PKD Festival up and running.

http://www.philipkdickfestival.com/index.html

I think it might be more insanity than I could take -- talkin' dick with a bunch of dickheads and agents in that rarefied air. It's even being held in Blackhawk! (the place you can't ride bikes from that 'ur doin it wrong Colorado' thread from yesterday).

Anyhow, any interest in this anybody? An RI contingent of agents and idiots -- maybe even come up with our own shirts and badges? I might even be able to hook people up with places to stay, as I am from there afterall. But I can't promise anything at this point. Throwin' it out there though to see if anyone is down.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Check out DIA while attending the Philip K Dick Fest!

Postby Simulist » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:51 pm

Attendees may get a chance to check out the Denver International Airport and representatives from the Defense Intelligence Agency... Woo-hoo!
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby wha? » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:22 am

wow. DIA and PKD. that'd be a lot to take in at once. is anubis still there too?
wha?

Postby exojuridik » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 am

cool - I'll be back in the states and home in Denver during that time. That's synch enough for me to follow up on.
"Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders."
exojuridik

Postby justdrew » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:13 pm

anyone make it?

full story and pics at link...
Searching for reality at the Philip K. Dick festival
Searching for reality at the Philip K. Dick festivalLast weekend, hardcore Philip K Dick fans trekked to the high Rocky Mountains for a festival of Dickian dimensions. There were Dick scholars, biker bars, library lectures, Techgnostic side-trips with Erik Davis, and an epic, weekend-long attempt to define reality

We took one really cool short side-trip to see some crazy rock art at an undisclosed location near the Utah/Colorado border. The paintings depicted strange space-alien looking characters with big eyes, wearing helmets, elaborate head gear, and/or antenna; the archaic Native American art was created sometime between two thousand and eight thousand years ago.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Ugh. I made the OP and was excited to possibly make arrangements to go. But dammit, get this, I fully FORGOT about it until now! Summer just flies by. Time must be out of joint.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby zangtang » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm

my head hurts - PKD and DIA? - lets throw in that that fucking vile spider sculpture in Brussels(?), spot of Ayuhuasca, bit of dr peter beter, the obligatory (but no more disrespectful for that) RAW, bit of M.Cremo's forbidden archeology, Dr J.Lilley's(?) solid state conspiracy, Waves forrest (where he the last 15 years?) and his oxygen wars, touch of 'does 2012 coincide with the singularity along with everything else?', eye of newt, frog of toad - running commentary by HMW and pretty soon we'll be halfway to true enlightenment or hardcore metaphysical catastrophe!

Shit, nobody said it wasn't gonna be a gamble!

if only the stakes weren't so high....allegedly

what say you?
zangtang

Postby justdrew » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:42 pm

ambiguous disjoint pseudo chronal discontinuities abound :)

I'd swear a week ago I notice the moon change from just a sliver to a half moon in just a weekend, Friday to Monday. well, didn't see it change, just noticed it Friday and Monday... but that can't happen. OR CAN IT? I just checked in Stellarium, from PDX looking south the moon just made a brief appearance with the sun still in the sky and changed by that much in just a weekend.

it's going be be the Harvest moon on the 23rd of September here, the night after the autumnal equinox.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Searching for reality at the Philip K. Dick festival
Last weekend, hardcore Philip K Dick fans trekked to the high Rocky Mountains for a festival of Dickian dimensions. There were Dick scholars, biker bars, library lectures, Techgnostic side-trips with Erik Davis, and an epic, weekend-long attempt to define reality.

Phil Dick's science fiction often features characters alienated by the technology that surrounds them, overwhelmed by the immense absurdity of the Universe as well as the drudgery of their daily lives, but who are ultimately saved through genuine human connection. As our world grows to look more and more like a PKD novel, the adjective Dickian has come to describe the way reality seems frayed at the edges, too strained with irony and weird synchronicities to maintain its apparent stability for long.

Now that Philip K Dick is widely considered one of the most important science fiction writers of the second half of the 20th century, and with his canonization in the Library of America series, looks to become one of the most important American writers period, it's easy to forget that as recently as fifteen years ago, his fanbase was considerably smaller, confined mostly to SF nerds and druggies.

The first Philip K Dick Festival to take place in the United States, held last weekend near Nederland, Colorado (elevation 9100'), served as a great reminder of those times. The smallish turnout consisted of uber-fans and scholars (mostly SF nerds now doing drugs only occasionally) who have been reading, studying, and fanning out on PKD since before he went big, fans loyal enough to drive to the remote location high in the Rocky Mountains for the festival. With a turnout of about 30 people for the main talks and considerably fewer attending the group meals, certainly a similarly promoted PKD Festival in any large city would draw more people, but anyone could show up to that. This festival's remote location weeded out all but the most hardcore of fans.

My trip to the festival began with a 20-hour drive in a Budget moving truck from San Francisco, across California, Nevada, Utah, and into some huge mountains in Colorado, with fellow Dick-head and the author of Techgnosis, Erik Davis (techgnosis.com). The drive, which I had been envisioning as a kind of gnostic version of Thelma & Louise, carried us across some of the most God-forsaken land in the country, past town after town, each eerily similar to the one before: America's finest fast food chains, a small cadre of gas stations, diners, and strip clubs. I suspect some of those towns were simply cardboard fronts, hastily constructed props. We took one really cool short side-trip to see some crazy rock art at an undisclosed location near the Utah/Colorado border. The paintings depicted strange space-alien looking characters with big eyes, wearing helmets, elaborate head gear, and/or antenna; the archaic Native American art was created sometime between two thousand and eight thousand years ago. I guess there were SF druggie nerds even back then.

Friday's festivities took place in a biker bar called the Last Shot. Inside the old wooden building, there was a video game that involved shooting turkeys with a giant orange plastic rifle, one of the largest collections of shot glasses in the world, and an oil painting of Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope of the Insane Clown Posse. There were also engraved wooden tributes to the Blue Man Group. I found it almost as alien as the rock art, but the food was good and the people were nice.

As the small group assembled on a wooden gazebo with panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains even casual conversations would come to a halt as packs of full-throated motorcycles roared past.

The festival was organized by a devoted Dick-head named David Hyde, who goes by the moniker Lord Running Clam (likewise obsessive Dick-heads should know the reference). Hyde has been a staple in the PKD scene for more than a decade and a half, creating the fanzine For Dickheads Only after the Philip K Dick Society Newsletter ceased publication in 1992. Most recently Hyde self-published the incredibly useful Pink Beam: A Philip K Dick Companion (http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/p ... on/1254787), a must have for any serious fan. The laid-back guy in sunglasses with a cool British accent who took on the onerous task of organizing the festival because, as he told me, ‘if I didn't who would?' kept the events moving and fans properly herded with a low-key grace.

Hyde began the day by giving a brief overview of PKD's life and selected novels. Frank Hollander a self-described ‘obsessive PKD collector' spoke next, outlining his endless quest to find obscure PKD publications, the most amazing of which was a 1981 issue of The Yorba City High Times which contained Phil Dick's short story "The Alien Mind," a far-cry from PKD's current publishing juggernaut. For the first part of his speech Hollander used a microphone running through a cheap guitar amplifier. As the crackling amplifier struggled to overpower the motorcycles idling in the parking lot, it struck me as a Dickian moment.

Next, longtime fan Patrick Clark whose fanzines covering PKD and cyberpunk go way back to the golden age of alt-Dick, and who now writes the informative PKD Otaku fanzine (http://home.arcor.de/pkdotaku/viereck.htm), gave a great talk about the role of Philip K Dick in his life. As someone who discovered PKD in the early 90s, I was struck by how different it must have been to read Phil Dick's books as they came out in the 60s and 70s.

After a wonderful group dinner, we retired to our rooms at the rustic Sundance Lodge. My confusion, caused by mislabeled hot and cold knobs in the shower, seemed remarkably Dickian.

Saturday's festivities began at the Gilpin Library around noon as professor Sam Umland of the University of Nebraska Kearney gave a great talk on Dick's break-through novel The Man in the High Castle. What better place to discuss the book than in the high Colorado Rockies where much of the novel's action takes place in a demilitarized zone dividing German occupiers on the east coast from the Japanese occupiers on the west coast?

I followed Professor Umland with a short talk on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Basically, I delivered the lecture that I give my classes on the novel at San Francisco State University. But here at least I knew my audience had actually read the book. Erik Davis finished up our discussions at the library with a fascinating talk on the connection between dreaming and writing and the similarities between the life and work of Phil Dick and his Cthulic predecessor, HP Lovecraft.

Late Saturday afternoon, we headed back over to the Last Shot Saloon where John Fairchild presented his research on the heavily anticipated and newly released volume of PKD's selected letters covering the years 1980-1982 which he helped to transcribe. Finally, Lord Running Clam did his damndest to convince us that Dick's writings contain the secrets of the Universe. But, for the most part, we already knew that. Stay tuned to my blog Total Dick-Head as all of these talks will be available as podcasts in the very near future.

We finished up the night at another local bar, The Stage Stop, where the band Blu Simon was set to rock out. The band had traveled up from Omaha, Nebraska, determined to play this PKD Festival. When I showed up at the bar a little early, I found myself instantly immersed in an intense conversation with Aaron Shoemaker, the band's guitarist and singer, who had incredibly insightful and cogent comments on the life and work of Philip K Dick and then about his own senior thesis in college which involved developing an extremely original theory of human motivations. I felt like I was in a parallel Universe where even rock musicians understand existentialism. The band rocked the room with its unique brand of Southern boogie rock, many beers were consumed, and their new single "Palmer Eldritch" was performed, twice.

Sunday started off with a wonderful group breakfast overlooking the tree-covered Rockies, which reminded me of The Shining (as well as the Kubrick's scenic outtakes from the film used to end the initial theatrical release of Blade Runner). At a short official meeting (‘official' is a term PKD fans seem to instantly recoil from) we decided that our next Festival would be in the California Bay Area in 2012. Apparently, I volunteered to organize this. I blame the SF drugs coursing through my veins.

We then retired back to the Last Shot Saloon where we had lunch and talked intently about our favorite writer. But we were also acutely aware, on this last day of the festival, that, sadly, the man most responsible for PKD's literary ascension could not be in attendance. Phil Dick's friend and first literary executer, Paul Williams, has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia, the delayed result of a bicycle accident, and now requires full-time care in a nursing home. Many hardcore fans donated some of their PKD-related treasures to an auction for Paul to be held on Ebay next month. While this generosity evoked Dick's concern with empathy, Williams's steady deterioration reminded us all that PKD's Universes are often unjust and even cruel.

The small festival embodied the best aspects of Philip K Dick's work. As Erik Davis said of the attendees, "We're all a little weird, but we're friendly and accepting." In fact, I dare say every attendee felt deeply connected to one another by the end of the festival. I got to meet people that I had been corresponding with about PKD for over a decade, and it was wonderful to interact with them in the ‘real world' instead of online. The lack of usable cell-phone signals, and the dodgy wi-fi connection at the Lodge, forced all of us to unplug and focus on each other rather than our digital lives. Again, it seemed very Dickian to me.

David Gill has studied the life and work of Philip K Dick for fifteen years, writing his Masters Thesis on Dick's novel Time Out of Joint. Aside from maintaining the Dick-centric Total-Dick Head blog, for the last five years, he has been teaching literature and writing at San Francisco State University and regularly assigns Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. He has written about Philip K Dick for boingboing, io9.com, Article Magazine, and is currently part of a team working to edit Dick's Exegesis, a series of notes made by the author over the last eight years of his life, for publication.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Believe it or not, I kinda made a note of that too, justdrew. Didn't think much of it, just thought I wasn't paying enough attention. But it did appear and I do remember it, that the moon waxed much quicker than "usual". I chalk it up to the universe and spacetime fully under the influence of The Jack Palance Effect.
82_28

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:40 am

John Lennon once said something about how life is what happens when you are making other plans. In this case, life is what happens to other lucky bastards while you are dead broke and scrambling to keep the cats fed (they WILL eat you, best to feed them first...).

Next year, dammit. I've always marvelled at the cons I've been to- being in a hotel with a bunch of fellow sci-fi geeks or heathen pagans. To be in a hotel filled with Dick fans...almost too much to contemplate...sigh. Sounds like it was a success, tho.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby 82_28 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:52 am

Twyla, next year, they say it's gonna be in SF. If we don't have any money now, I think we likely missed out on our opportunity. My girlfriend texted me a bit ago, who happens to be in SF on business and said she spent $100 on two glasses of wine, an app and an entree and was by herself -- nearest restaurant to her hotel. I told her to go to In n' Out. But it was on the company dime, so no skin off our backs. Colorado would have been a much cheaper trip to talk about all things Dick -- allowing for all the kindly fellow dickheads keeping me away from the blackjack tables in Black Hawk, that is.

On edit: If anything, they should have it at some dive motel in Anaheim near Disneyland. Now that would be rad!
82_28

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:27 am

On edit: If anything, they should have it at some dive motel in Anaheim near Disneyland. Now that would be rad!

It would probably be the most authentic Dickian experience of the alternatives. :)

SF is easier for us than even Colorado, the husband grew up in South Bay and we have a number of friends nearby. We've gone to cons in SF and it wasn't TOO bad.

But, I agree, the Anaheim gathering of DickHeads would be a pretty once-in-a-lifetime-must-go, shouldn't be too hard for the organizers to start booking now and certainly cheaper than SF, hint, hint....

PS: There should have to be some kind of luncheon at the teacup ride or where ever the hell it was he spent his day... A cheesy guided tour of his neighborhoods and places he describes conducted by an android... The possibilities are endless...:guitarbanana:
Twyla LaSarc

Postby LilyPatToo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 am

Twyla LaSarc wrote:

It would probably be the most authentic Dickian experience of the alternatives. :)

SF is easier for us than even Colorado, the husband grew up in South Bay and we have a number of friends nearby. We've gone to cons in SF and it wasn't TOO bad.

But, I agree, the Anaheim gathering of DickHeads would be a pretty once-in-a-lifetime-must-go, shouldn't be too hard for the organizers to start booking now and certainly cheaper than SF, hint, hint....

PS: There should have to be some kind of luncheon at the teacup ride or where ever the hell it was he spent his day... A cheesy guided tour of his neighborhoods and places he describes conducted by an android... The possibilities are endless...:guitarbanana:

The Skeptic and I would show up for that for sure! It was through my hubby that I came to appreciate Dick. I'd read science fiction since I could read, but somehow had missed out on Dick's body of work. But better late than never--it really spoke to me, since I'd lived a strange life by then, among mobsters, other low-life and rich, corrupt men who all lived in a kind of parallel reality to most American's lives. We moved to the Bay Area too late to have met him and I'll always regret that.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 pm

It was through my hubby that I came to appreciate Dick. I'd read science fiction since I could read, but somehow had missed out on Dick's body of work. But better late than never--it really spoke to me, since I'd lived a strange life by then, among mobsters, other low-life and rich, corrupt men who all lived in a kind of parallel reality to most American's lives.

I'm glad your husband turned you on to his stuff. He's one of those authors I literally give books away just to get friends to read them. I even got my sister (who is very straight and not really into SF) to read his stuff, which she wound up liking...

Phil's work has been a huge part of my life. My first job at 14 was working in a library as a page. I got fired for reading. I'm pretty sure the book in question was 'Scanner Darkly'. For better or for worse, Phil Dick taught me about people, the inherent weirdness of life and mortality. I can identify with a life led in some parallel world to the one that is accepted as real. I dunno if I went there because I read Dick and Burroughs at an impressionable age, or if reading those authors taught me the inherent absurdities of life and the secret world that exists behind the veil of 'normalacy'. Either way, I am far richer for both the literature and the experience (which the literature helped me survive... :) ).
Twyla LaSarc

Next

Return to General Discussion