Israeli Girls in First-Person Shooters, Killing Real People

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Israeli Girls in First-Person Shooters, Killing Real People

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 pm

I had read the entire Ender series years ago and just loved it. One of my net nicks is Valentine. I was surprised when I learned of Card's politics and very disappointed.

The idea of remote kills makes me quite ill. From a distance you could not know what that person is doing and just dispatching someone without a thought, without questioning them, without any semblence of a trial... I could never.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Israeli Girls in First-Person Shooters, Killing Real People

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Pele'sDaughter wrote:I had read the entire Ender series years ago and just loved it. One of my net nicks is Valentine. I was surprised when I learned of Card's politics and very disappointed.

The idea of remote kills makes me quite ill. From a distance you could not know what that person is doing and just dispatching someone without a thought, without questioning them, without any semblence of a trial... I could never.

Well it wouldn't bother me if he simply had personal objections to gay marriage or felt homosexuality was "wrong in God's eyes", simply because thats just how many people seem to operate in their mind.

But Card goes beyond that...

He has called same-sex marriage a "potentially devastating social experiment". He has argued that same-sex marriage is not necessary to ensure LGBT rights because: "Any homosexual man who can persuade a woman to take him as her husband can avail himself of all the rights of husbandhood under the law."[19] He claims that "gay activism as a movement is no longer looking for civil rights, which by and large homosexuals already have."[20] He also says he is against "changing the word 'marriage' to apply to something it's never applied to."[21]

With regard to the acceptance of legal same-sex marriage in Massachusetts and California, Card writes that: "The first and greatest threat from court decisions in California and Massachusetts, giving legal recognition to 'gay marriage,' is that it marks the end of democracy in America. These judges are making new law without any democratic process; in fact, their decisions are striking down laws enacted by majority vote."[22] In the same article he voiced strong condemnation of any government that recognized gay marriage stating, "Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down..."[22]

Writing of the LDS Church's attitude towards homosexuals, he argues that because the Church leaders and prophets teach against homosexual behavior, it is hypocritical for a practicing homosexual to claim to be a Church member but still deny that their behavior is sinful.[20]

Card's statements on homosexuality and civil rights for gay people have drawn charges of homophobia.[23] Card does not consider his views homophobic, stating he does not advocate "harsh personal treatment of individuals who are unable to resist the temptation to have sexual relations with persons of the same sex,"[20] and that he views homosexuals as "human beings with as complex a combination of good and evil in them as I find within myself." However, he has written that "laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society."[20]

In April 2009, Card became a member of the board of directors of the National Organization for Marriage
, a group that seeks to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage. He replaced Matthew S. Holland, one of the founding board members, who is also a Mormon.[24]

Board of directors...damn, this guy is hardcore.

US Mega churches supporting anti gay Ugandan politicians: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... c=fb&cc=fp
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to General Discussion