The latest cover of Time Magazine.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The latest cover of Time Magazine.

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:14 am

How are they getting the acid? That freaks me the fucking fuck out. The last thing random assholes with nothing to live for need is easy access to something that can melt our damn faces off. WTFology.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:How are they getting the acid? That freaks me the fucking fuck out. The last thing random assholes with nothing to live for need is easy access to something that can melt our damn faces off. WTFology.

yeah, it is a bit alarming.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby compared2what? » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 am

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:Acid-in-the-face attacks, of course, are associated with Taliban/Muslim extremists suppressing women.

That's really only an "of course" to people who also associate french fries and the sitting President of the United States with Taliban/Muslim extremists. IOW; People who get all their information from Fox News, right-wing radio talk shows and the wingnut blogosphere. As far as I can recall, there was one (1) moderately widely covered news story about one (1) acid attack by the Taliban on Afghani schoolgirls a couple of years ago.

And I would never ever have recalled it if you hadn't billboarded the association for me. Because I've had decades of exposure to news stories that emphatically associated acid-in-the-face attacks on women in the India-to-China part of Asia with the personal vendettas held against them by their attackers, whose advances they'd rejected.

I've also always kind of vaguely assumed that it's also the kind of assault that their husbands might commit. Or their families or their bosses or whoever the mostly-male-but-conceivably-female figures who have a claim to personal dominion over them as a socio-cultural/socio-economic matter and not a religious/political one happen to be. Which appears kind of vaguely accurate, per a vague perusal of search engine results.

Except that -- as I've just learned via G--gle -- it extends to other continents and countries that meet the same societal criteria as the ones I associate with the phenomenon, which are basically a formal or informal caste system, a very large permanent economic underclass, and an unquestioned and unreconstructed full-on patriarchal worldview that classifies women as someone's property first and as people second, if at all.

Looks like 9/11 agit-prop by a certain American alphabet agency, doesn't it?

I'd say that you can't really call a violent crime committed for political reasons by the state "agitprop." Because it would kinda be more like "terrorism," if that's what it was.

As it may be. Or may not be. I mean, I'm sure that the association will be manufactured and billboarded by everyone who has something to gain by doing so. Which includes the political hard-right and practically all of the media. But it's not like they need any agency direction to know what's in their own institutional best interests. They're already in the full-time business of knowing that. By definition.

So, no. It doesn't particularly look like that. And there's not a single quantity or quality in the whole of humanity that's at all worth championing or supporting that wins as a result of efforts to portray it that way to the exclusion of every other consideration.

Because -- obviously -- it impoverishes rather than enriches people's understanding when you preempt their perceptual autonomy by suggesting that something that's largely opaque looks like one thing and one thing only. In every way and at every level.

For example, a certain three-letter agency has been regularly in the news for illegally committing numerous documented atrocities against people who didn't happen to be exceptional Americans. And wholly without the assistance of anti-Castro Cubans, too, shocking though that idea is to contemplate. Why, just yesterday I was reading about how two ex-spooks who quietly left government service after the DOJ decided not to procecute them for using a handgun and a power-drill in a mock execution they staged during the interrogation of Abd Al-Rashim Nash'ri are now both back on the payroll as private contractors.

But people'd sure never learn about that by reading RI's resident expert on objectionable illegal CIA operations. You do know that they didn't drop the international-activities part of their brief when Clinton beat GWHB, don't you?

Good. Just checking.
Last edited by compared2what? on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
compared2what?

Postby compared2what? » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:How are they getting the acid? That freaks me the fucking fuck out. The last thing random assholes with nothing to live for need is easy access to something that can melt our damn faces off. WTFology.

Sulphuric acid, which has been the classical acid of choice in the West since the Victorian era is a staple of about nine-gazillion kinds of commerce from agriculture to industry. It's probably not that hard to find your way to some if that's your will. And it's also a darkroom chemical, isn't it?

But there are a lot of vitriol-esque consumer products that would cause facial burns if you threw them in somebody's face, too, I'm pretty sure. Hardware-store-type detergents and paint-strippers and stuff like that.

But I'm not positive, it's not like I've ever tried pouring them on myself. Or anybody else. I take those "Caution" labels at their word.
compared2what?

Postby stefano » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm

You get sulphuric acid out of car batteries.
stefano

Postby beeline » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Not too difficult to manufacture hydrochloric acid, either, just mix ammonia and bleach.
beeline

Postby justdrew » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 pm

beeline wrote:.

Not too difficult to manufacture hydrochloric acid, either, just mix ammonia and bleach.

well I hope anyone intending to splash people with acid follow your advice, preferably in a small enclosed space

(it was a popular way to go in Japan a couple years ago, maybe still is)
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Nordic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Just discovered this one:

Bombing for peace!

(This was posted by a wonderful woman named Luciana Bohne on FB who seems to be a wonderful and clever person. Just friended her)
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Cordelia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:43 pm

My first glance saw: "BRINGING THE SERBS TO HELL". (I guess the photo, subtitle & tweak of 'heel' promote 'misreadings'.)
Cordelia

Postby Nordic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Cordelia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:43 pm wrote:My first glance saw: "BRINGING THE SERBS TO HELL". (I guess the photo, subtitle & tweak of 'heel' promote 'misreadings'.)

Yeah these guys are pros and I'm sure what you saw was what they wanted you to see.

"Bombing the Serbs to hell" is very little different, visually, from the actual headline.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Previous

Return to General Discussion