The spook who sat by the door
Who killed Teddy Bear
foistlastus

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Allegro » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 am

I added this movie to the lounge Film Clips
a few months ago. Haven't watched the film
since the mid 90's, but still have those fond memories.

Nina, an interpreter, is beside herself with grief at the recent death of her boyfriend, Jamie, a cellist. When it appears that she is on the verge of being no longer able to cope with life, Jamie reappears as a ghost and the couple are reconciled – either in Nina's imagination or in an actual reunion: it is up to the viewer to decide. More of the plot.

Truly Madly Deeply | trailer
      no click over on this vid

Truly Madly Deeply | poetry scene
      Juliet Stevenson, Alan Rickman

Last edited by Allegro on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Re: Moviedrome

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 am

madeupname452 wrote:
Moviedrome is (or "was") a BBC2 series where a cult movie (but what is cult?) was introduced before it was shown. Moviedrome first showed up in 1988 when cult director Alex Cox hosted the introductions (he didn't choose the movies though). Cox hosted Moviedrome (shown every summer) till 1994. In 1997 the show returned from the dead with movies chosen and introduced by Mark Cousins (known for his work at the Edinburgh Film Festival).

Moviedrome was aceness, and Alex Cox made some films of a certain quality himself. They've probably been mentioned, maybe even in your post madeupname452, but "Repo Man" and "Straight To Hell" are undeniable classics. Moviedrome is the only reason I know anything at all about good films - Testsuo, Lair of the White Worm, Jabberwocky, The Reflecting Skin, My Own Private Idaho, Ghosts of the Civil Dead.

If I had not been exposed to these films at a too-young age, I would've had no interest in the craft or beauty of film at all, and would now be able to enjoy most of the films that get released.

Thanks for depriving me of that enjoyment, Alex Cox - it was for the best.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby justdrew » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:34 am

foistlastus wrote:Spiderbaby
The spook who sat by the door
Who killed Teddy Bear

was planning to watch "The spook who sat by the door" this weekend :ohwh

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:<...>and Alex Cox made some films of a certain quality himself. They've probably been mentioned, maybe even in your post madeupname452, but "Repo Man" and "Straight To Hell" are undeniable classics. Moviedrome is the only reason I know anything at all about good films - Testsuo, Lair of the White Worm, Jabberwocky, The Reflecting Skin, My Own Private Idaho, Ghosts of the Civil Dead.

If I had not been exposed to these films at a too-young age, I would've had no interest in the craft or beauty of film at all, and would now be able to enjoy most of the films that get released.

Thanks for depriving me of that enjoyment, Alex Cox - it was for the best.

Repo Man and most importantly Straight to Hell are two of my favorite of all time. Cox is doing a fully restored high quality digital transfer of Straight to Hell that's going to look amazingly high quality, not sure when that's going to get released though.

"hey! Let's make the wiener kid sing his song!"

and for Joe :tear ...
Last edited by justdrew on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:44 am

The Pogues, the Clash, and Courtney Love all in one film - directed by Alex Cox. A lot of people say it's rubbish, but how could it possibly be, under those circumstances?

A lot of people don't know much about anything, and this is a case in point.

Thanks for the clip. I remember it, but will enjoy it again a lot.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby streeb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:50 am

Repo Man and most importantly Straight to Hell are two of my favorite of all time. Cox is doing a fully restored high quality digital transfer of Straight to Hell that's going to look amazingly high quality, not sure when that's going to get released though.

I saw Straight to Hell Returns last weekend. Hadn't seen the movie since it debuted for a week at the Scala Cinema in London, to general bafflement (me included). But I enjoyed the shit out of it this time around. Very odd to see everybody so young, particularly Courtney Love. Joe Strummer is astoundingly sexy. And Sy Richardson (RIP) should have gotten a lifetime of royalties from Samuel L Jackson. The (well done) additions include lots of digitally rendered dust, flies, and blood, and a couple of marvelously hokey stop motion skeletons. Also Elvis Costello being tortured. Bravo. It was very much ahead of its time.
streeb

Postby justdrew » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:58 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:The Pogues, the Clash, and Courtney Love all in one film - directed by Alex Cox. A lot of people say it's rubbish, but how could it possibly be, under those circumstances?

A lot of people don't know much about anything, and this is a case in point.

Thanks for the clip. I remember it, but will enjoy it again a lot.

and the guy from tenpole tudor (wunderbar)

and Elvis Costello (the butler)!

and the Karl, the wiener boy, was Zander Schloss from The Circle Jerks

and Dick Rude and Sy Richardson as themselves :)

and Dennis Hopper and Grace Jones, & Jim Jarmusch (!)

One of the peak films of the modern era. :eeyaa

streeb- totally agree about Jackson owing Sy "blanks get the job done too" Richardson
justdrew

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am

streeb wrote:...Elvis Costello being tortured.

That's his default mode, surely?

Happy to see that there is some late night/early morning appreciation of Straight To Hell here. These are the hours, and WE Are The People.

Justdrew, in his posting of the Danny Boy clip, might well have inadvertently ruined the "What Are You Listening To Now?" thread for the foreseeable future, but you can't blame the lad for doing what he thought was right.

EDIT: Okay Justdrew, I give in. You know more about the cast of Straight To Hell than me. :lol:
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby justdrew » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:05 am

AhabsOtherLeg wrote:
streeb wrote:...Elvis Costello being tortured.

Happy to see that there is some late night/early morning appreciation of Straight To Hell here. These are the hours, and WE Are The People.

Justdrew, in his posting of the Danny Boy clip, might well have inadvertently ruined the "What Are You Listening To Now?" thread for the foreseeable future, but you can't blame the lad for doing what he thought was right.

EDIT: Okay Justdrew, I give in. You know more about the cast of Straight To Hell than me. :lol:

:yay Wictory ees h'mine!

I was jus about go over there and muss it up a bit
justdrew

Postby streeb » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:08 am

streeb wrote:
...Elvis Costello being tortured.

Ah, no, you see in Straight to Hell he has other people do it to him. This is Cox's genius.

Not so fast, you forgot Biff Yeager, whoever the fuck he is.
streeb

Postby justdrew » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:33 am

well, I'm not the living embodiment of Wikipedia, though it becomes a preferred appendage more each day

another fine film: Human Highway ! Devo and Niel Young together at last

listen to all of Neil Young's Trans album... from the same era as human highway...

which is also where you find the long lovely version of, Like an Inca...
justdrew

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 am

streeb wrote:

streeb wrote:
...Elvis Costello being tortured.

Ah, no, you see in Straight to Hell he has other people do it to him. This is Cox's genius.

Crafty bugger, that Alex Cox. Always looking for the angles.

Not so fast, you forgot Biff Yeager, whoever the fuck he is.

I bet he's a pal of Buzzy Krongard and Randy Bumgardener. It stands to reason.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby justdrew » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:57 am

ImageAfter emerging from a blacked-out skyscraper from which a famous humanitarian apparently jumped to his death, cost accountant David Stillwell (Gregory Peck) is stunned to discover that gunmen are chasing him and he has no idea why. Stillwell gradually realizes that he suffers from "unconscious amnesia", and that this illness has caused him to apparently black out the events of the past two years. The problem is that a prickly psychiatrist he consults assures him that it is impossible for unconscious amnesia to last more than a day or two.
---
+ Quincy Jones soundtrack
justdrew

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Operation: Endgame Action-black-comedy about a group of false flag terror attack government killers who worked for the Bush admin getting "cleaned up" by being turned against one another in their super-secret underground base. Rob Cordry really, really comes through on this, but the real star of this movie is the fucking script. It's an amazingly weird blend and I find it hard to imagine how this flick ever got made. Two thumbs up.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby eyeno » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:51 am

Love And A .45

Blue Velvet
eyeno

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie