FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:41 am

What, Daniel Day-Lewis kneeling before that preening princeling? I did not know that. :( Depressing!
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Hecho en Mexico. A very lively and relevant look at Mexican culture through music and interviews. I loved it. And here's the complete film courtesy of the director:

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby RocketMan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:06 pm

Came across a little something RI...

http://www.slashfilm.com/a-dark-song-re ... ore-376120

‘A Dark Song’ Makes Occult Magic Scary (and Human) Again [Fantastic Fest Review]

If your average horror movie is an indication, the occult is a piece of cake. Grab a dusty old tome from your local library, pick up a Ouija board, light a candle or two and voila! You’re ready to open a portal, summon a demon, or cleanse a house of a vengeful spirit. Genre movies have a habit of making magic look easy and convenient. Either anyone can do it, or an exposition-spouting expert is just a quick phone call away.

A Dark Song isn’t that kind of movie. Writer/director Liam Gavin has made a movie where black magic isn’t just dangerous and a good way endanger your soul – it’s also really, really difficult and it takes a long time. Here is a movie about a single dark ritual that takes place over the course of six months.

Set almost entirely in an isolated Welsh country home, A Dark Song follows Sophia (Catherine Walker) as she hires a bitter and anti-social occultist named Joseph (Steve Oram) to assist her in a dangerous black magic ritual that, if successful, will grant them their heart’s desire. Joseph lays every card on the table: once the house is in encircled in salt and the ritual has begun, they cannot leave under any circumstance. They will endure physical and mental suffering. They will fast and pray and draw meticulous symbols in chalk. They will slowly find themselves out of step with reality as various other planes of existence bleed into theirs, bringing all kinds of unwelcome guests. And most importantly, Sophia and Joseph will have to learn to live with each other — a task easier said than done for a woman with more than a few dark secrets and a man who simply doesn’t enjoy the company of other humans.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:26 pm

From director Sonia Kennebeck and executive producers Wim Wenders and Errol Morris, NATIONAL BIRD follows the harrowing journey of three U.S. military veteran whistleblowers determined to break the silence surrounding America’s secret drone war. Tortured by guilt for their participation in the killing of faceless people in foreign countries, and despite the threat of being prosecuted under the Espionage Act, these three veterans offer an unprecedented look inside this secret program to reveal the haunting cost of America’s global drone strikes. Also featuring famed defense attorney Jessalyn Radack—best known for representing Edward Snowden—NATIONAL BIRD is the first film that has revealed so much first-hand information about the U.S. drone program through on-the-record sources, connecting the stories of veterans and survivors as never seen before in a documentary.

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:57 pm

"A Dark Song" sounds awesome, thanks for the heads-up. About to watch "The Alchemist's Cookbook," a similar setup of occult isolation.

Both films make me weary in a jealous way, being 2/3 through a screenplay that's uncomfortably similar to both outlines. Fortunately, my arrogance always overwhelms my caution eventually.

It’s difficult to imagine what a script for all of this would even look like. Whatever The Alchemist Cookbook has to express, it expresses through scenes that feel as though someone were dared to do something while a camera rolled, in the near-extinct tradition of the transgressive underground movie.

Via: http://www.avclub.com/review/personal-a ... fia-243563

Was surprised to learn it's by director Joel Potrykus, whose previous film Buzzard I recommended in this very thread awhile back.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby KUAN » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:10 pm

KUAN

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Take a few minutes of your busy day and watch this.

Iamwhomiam

Postby semper occultus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:43 am

Call it Sleep 1982 Directed by Isaac Cronin, Tom Seltzer

A global, strategic evaluation of the social forces comprising the society of the spectacle. It is conceived from the view that, if individuals are to gain control over their lives, the world of hierarchical power must be destroyed.
semper occultus

Postby chump » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:01 am

A microcosm of social control and manipulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8GAMZqJqjs

Believe it or not, The Boss was a blast...

Funniest film in forty years!!
chump

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:10 pm

I did a cursory search to see if V for Vendetta had been listed in this thread, but didn't find it and I don't remember it being mentioned, so I mention it now. I just finished watching it and thought it quite good.

I suppose Trump hasn't watched it, 'cause if he had, he'd be telling folk to watch it and and use it as a guide to what to do in case he loses.

A classic, for sure.

https://putlockerhd.co/watch?v=V_For_Vendetta_2006#video=3zmt_9xIrD5nvqlzQzuifBeYPjF3T4L5ONBt0wKachw
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:44 pm

"Hunt for the Wilderpeople" is a movie worth watching. About an unwanted and rejected youth on the verge of becoming institutionalized, incarcerated in juvenile detention until he reaches 21, due to him being an incorrigible bad boy and gangsta wannabe, thought to be beyond redemption. As a last attempt at foster care, he's placed with a couple living in the fringe of the New Zealand wilds.

Rebellion! And on the run from the law into the bush

It will tug on your heartstrings and make you laugh.

https://putlockerhd.co/watch?v=Hunt_For_The_Wilderpeople_2016#video=3zmt_9xIrD5nvqlzQzuifBeYPjF3T4L5ONBt0wKachw
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 pm

Got my annual horror list up: http://www.brainsturbator.com/posts/437 ... st-of-2016

Strongly co-sign "Hunt for the Wilderpeople," that was a really worthwhile ride.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 am

Samhain, indeed.

Look forward to the read, though admittedly it's been some time since I've sought 'horror' in film, given the prevalence of ongoing 'real world' horrors outside any enclosed medium.

Perhaps horror as a genre is a luxury for those that needn't worry about experiencing such trauma regularly. The privilege of First World comfort, ay? Would those living with the daily reality of drones and/or various bomb threats be interested in horror films during their downtime, or would they be more interested in, say, staying alive on a given day?

Horror... such an abstract concept for many here in these fine States of America. So far, at least.

Don't mean to put a damper on the festivities here, folks. I am, after all, a hypocrite of the first order -- typing away in the comfort of a U.S. residence, which happens to be along the Eastern coastline, qualifying it as one of the wealthiest regions of the world (relatively speaking), enjoying internet access provided by a local cable company...

Much like the rest of you. Relatively speaking.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:12 am

Nice list! Hadn't even heard of Train to Busan before and it's in my favorite genre. Action and horror and zombies? Yes please!

Which reminds me:

Old school zombie flick with slow zombies set in Africa.

Speaking of Africa, Dust Devil is worth a watch (same director as Hardware):
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Belligerent Savant » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 pm wrote:.Perhaps horror as a genre is a luxury for those that needn't worry about experiencing such trauma regularly. The privilege of First World comfort, ay?

Don't think so. No doubt that horror is a popular genre worldwide and across classes. I'm sure the most pronounced demographic variation is by age group, not class or nationality. You can't see people under bombs wanting to watch it, sure, but they're probably not getting to watch much of anything; it's not hard to imagine given groups that might not care for it. I find it boring with very few exceptions and those are meta (Cabin in the Woods). It's also depressing that it's such a big genre.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie