Actor Randy Quaid and his wife seeking refuge in Canada

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Actor Randy Quaid and his wife seeking refuge in Canada

Postby 82_28 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:14 am

It reminds me actually of the "Palance Effect" that Tim Boucher and I documented a bit a number of years ago. Read about it here:

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2006/ ... ready-die/

Tim started thread about it at RI here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9212&hilit=Jack+Palance
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby IanEye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 am

82_28 wrote:
Apparently, The Last Picture Show was Quaid's debut Hollywood role (I have never seen it). I shall let others speculate from here as I, too, am synthesizing it all as well.

A wee bit strange no?

Actually, Randy Quaid has a small role in "Targets", which came out before "Last Picture Show", both directed by Mr. Bogdanovich.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063671/fullcredits#cast
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 am

FYI - looks like someone got caught for a change...

Financial advisor to stars gets 7.5 years prison

By Agence France-Presse
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 -- 8:01 pm

NEW YORK – A financial advisor to US socialites and Hollywood celebrities was sentenced Wednesday to seven and a half years prison for stealing millions of dollars in clients' funds.

Kenneth Starr, 67, was sentenced in New York federal court to 90 months behind bars, a spokeswoman for the US attorney's office told AFP.

The former high-flying advisor's client list resembled a Who's Who of the US entertainment and publishing worlds.

Some of his clients, who reportedly included actors Sylvester Stallone and Al Pacino, photographer Annie Leibovitz and fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi, had entrusted him with every aspect of their financial lives.

Instead, he was quietly stealing millions that he used to fund a luxury lifestyle, both for himself and his former stripper wife, whom he lavished with jewelry.

As he racked up debts, he then repeatedly stole money from one client to pay off another in a Ponzi scheme totaling more than $30 million in losses, before he was finally caught, prosecutors said. When FBI agents raided his $7.5 million Manhattan apartment, they found him hiding in a closet.

"Kenneth Starr pretended he had the Midas touch, but he was in reality peddling fool's gold," prosecutor Preet Bharara said. "Today's sentence is just and appropriate for the audacious fraud he perpetrated on many victims."
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby chump » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 am

I posted that Dave McGowan interview in the Laurel Canyon thread. He talks like Chong without the bong.

One thing led to another, and I found this Quaid interview in which they explain why they did what they did:

They name some names and tell their side of the story, and seem like they're perfectly sane.

I got to reading about the Monarch program http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio ... KULTRA.htm
and a synopsis of Trance Formation. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bb/obrien.htm

These videos were quite revealing and really made me think.

Lots of pretty girls and the music was great.

Also thanks to Elfsmiles and Mack White above. I listened to your show - way back when. Are you going to do anymore?

I'm beginning to understand.

I should add that the video could be "triggering".
chump

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Cross-posting from the "What are you listening to" thread:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby TheDuke » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 am

Some of this interview reminds me of an old Irish joke:

One 'day' in heaven, St. Peter goes out in front of the Pearly Gates and sees two signs.
One sign says 'stand here all ye men who were hen-pecked by their wives'.
8 million souls stand lined up by this sign.
The other sign says 'stand here all ye men who were not hen-pecked by their wives'.
Riley stands alone by this sign.
St. Peter goes over to Riley and says, "Riley, why are ye standing here by yourself?".
Riley says, "My wife told me to."
TheDuke

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 am

TheDuke wrote:Some of this interview reminds me of an old Irish joke:

One 'day' in heaven, St. Peter goes out in front of the Pearly Gates and sees two signs.
The other sign says 'stand here all ye men who were not hen-pecked by their wives'.
St. Peter goes over to Riley and says, "Riley, why are ye standing here by yourself?".

yeah, it reminds me of the joke where the wife says, "I wouldn't even BE at the pearly gates if my husband hadn't beaten me to death for telling him to pick up his stinking underwear from the shower floor." this sexist stuff is hilarious! especially when it has ZERO bearing on the topic at hand!
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby brekin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 am

Canadian_watcher wrote:

yeah, it reminds me of the joke where the wife says, "I wouldn't even BE at the pearly gates if my husband hadn't beaten me to death for telling him to pick up his stinking underwear from the shower floor." this sexist stuff is hilarious! especially when it has ZERO bearing on the topic at hand!

That seems a stretch to me. It seems he was making the connection from the above interview, which I haven't watched. Have you?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby crikkett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 am

Canadian_watcher wrote:yeah, it reminds me of the joke where the wife says, "I wouldn't even BE at the pearly gates if my husband hadn't beaten me to death for telling him to pick up his stinking underwear from the shower floor." this sexist stuff is hilarious! especially when it has ZERO bearing on the topic at hand!

This, from someone who gives 'douchebag' a pass... you're looking a little arbitrary this morning, C_w.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby kool maudit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 am

that joke also made me think of hideous instances of spousal abuse that result in death.
kool maudit

Postby justdrew » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am

I don't think it fits. Look at their interactions, doesn't look like he's being driven by her at all. Toward the end he objects and disagrees with one interpretation. They're a good couple and supporting each other, it really doesn't look to me like her driving this at all. The whole idea that there was or is something "crazy" about their actions is what seems crazy to me.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 pm

brekin wrote:Canadian_watcher wrote:

That seems a stretch to me. It seems he was making the connection from the above interview, which I haven't watched. Have you?

yes, I watched it. I see what he is reacting to. She asks to be allowed to speak and Randy lets her.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Canadian_watcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm

crikkett wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:yeah, it reminds me of the joke where the wife says, "I wouldn't even BE at the pearly gates if my husband hadn't beaten me to death for telling him to pick up his stinking underwear from the shower floor." this sexist stuff is hilarious! especially when it has ZERO bearing on the topic at hand!

This, from someone who gives 'douchebag' a pass... you're looking a little arbitrary this morning, C_w.

it's not arbitrary at all - I see many, many reasons not to be offended by the word 'douchebeg' as applied as insult whereas inserting a blatantly old-school sexist joke in a thread about a couple's legal troubles does offend me. I'm not asking for it to be stopped, I'm just pointing out why it's a ridiculous thing to post.

thanks, though, Crikket, for constantly remarking on everything I say which touches on the treatment of women.

Canadian_watcher

Postby crikkett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:thanks, though, Crikket, for constantly remarking on everything I say which touches on the treatment of women.

Evidently, I can't resist your bait.

:backtotopic:

What makes the joke on-topic, in my mind, is that it prompts us to watch the interview specifically to see for ourselves if there'e anything to support the speculation that Randy Quaid's wife is overly controlling.

There were also rumors of domestic violence between them, IIRC.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby TheDuke » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:

You need to chill the fuck out. Ok so the joke was bound to offend someone but it's mildly offensive at best. The notion that "all wives hen peck" is a dumb and outdated generalisation but this woman, at least for me, seems to fit the stereotype.

I saw a rather shrill woman telling her husband saying "tell them about this, tell them about that", "that's not true", interrupting him when he talked and when she did say "let me speak" I 'd say it was purely for the benefit of the camera. This interview along with the earlier written piece do, in my opinion, present a woman with a high degree of control over her husband and probably driving this whole 'thing' with Randy going along for the ride.

But yeah you're right, I was somehow making light of domestic violence FFS
TheDuke

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion