The robot thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The robot thread

Postby 82_28 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Cryptogon turned me on to this site today with a rather creepy clip he found at http://www.plasticpals.com -- in fact the last one in this OP is the one Kevin linked to.

Check out this remarkable trip down robot lane. None of the clips are all that long. The Honda Humanoid Robot:

First let's start with 1986:

Now 1987 and 1991:

Now 1991-1993:

Now 1993-1999

Honda's latest robot as of 2009, Asimo:

Just fuckin' remarkable!

Now just a couple of random ones from the present day as well:

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The robot thread

Postby stefano » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 am

Without driver or map, vans go from Italy to China

SHANGHAI – Across Eastern Europe, Russia, Kazakhstan and the Gobi Desert — it certainly was a long way to go without getting lost.

Four driverless electric vans successfully ended an 8,000-mile (13,000-kilometer) test drive from Italy to China — a modern-day version of Marco Polo's journey around the world — with their arrival at the Shanghai Expo on Thursday.

The vehicles, equipped with four solar-powered laser scanners and seven video cameras that work together to detect and avoid obstacles, are part of an experiment aimed at improving road safety and advancing automotive technology.

The sensors on the vehicles enabled them to navigate through wide extremes in road, traffic and weather conditions, while collecting data to be analyzed for further research, in a study sponsored by the European Research Council.

"We didn't know the route, I mean what the roads would have been and if we would have found nice roads, traffic, lots of traffic, medium traffic, crazy drivers or regular drivers, so we encountered the lot," said Isabella Fredriga, a research engineer for the project.

Though the vans were driverless and mapless, they did carry researchers as passengers just in case of emergencies. The experimenters did have to intervene a few times — when the vehicles got snarled in a Moscow traffic jam and to handle toll stations.

The project used no maps, often traveling through remote regions of Siberia and China. At one point, a van stopped to give a hitchhiker a lift.

A computerized artificial vision system dubbed GOLD, for Generic Obstacle and Lane Detector, analyzed the information from the sensors and automatically adjusted the vehicles' speed and direction.

"This steering wheel is controlled by the PC. So the PC sends a command and the steering wheel moves and turns and we can follow the road, follow the curves and avoid obstacles with this," said Alberto Broggi of Vislab at the University of Parma in Italy, the lead researcher for the project.

"The idea here was to travel on a long route, on two different continents, in different states, different weather, different traffic conditions, different infrastructure. Then we can have some huge number of situations to test the system on," he said.

The technology will be used to study ways to complement drivers' abilities. It also could have applications in farming, mining and construction, the researchers said.

The vehicles ran at maximum speeds of 38 miles per hour (60 kilometers per hour) and had to be recharged for eight hours after every two to three hours of driving. At times, it was monotonous and occasionally nerve-racking, inevitably due to human error, Fredriga said.

"There were a few scary moments. Like when the following vehicle bumped into the leading one and that was just because we forgot, we stopped and we forgot to turn the system off," Fredriga said.

stefano

Postby stefano » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:35 am

This is amazing, about equal parts pretty cool and unsettling - and significant as much as a technology thing as a comment about pop idols. Hatsune Miku is a "singing synthesizer application and its female character", massively popular in Japan. Her voice is sampled from Japanese voice actress Saki Fujita. I think it's a thing that you load onto a synthesiser or something. One of the Vocaloid compilations, Exit Tunes Presents Vocalogenesis feat. Hatsune Miku, debuted at number-one on the Japanese weekly Oricon album charts dated May 31, 2010.

This is a clip for a sold-out concert to 25 000 fans with a Hatsune Miku hologram. The fans know the words.

stefano

Postby norton ash » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:53 am

I've seen the robot trucks working deep underground in hard-rock mines with their scoop-buckets, controlled from the surface. They beep at you when their motion/heat sensor detects your presence, pause for five seconds and 'stare' at you, and then are steered back to picking up their blasted rock. It's amazing and unnerving, and impossible not to anthropomorphize them, e.g. , they seem happy as they hustle away.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:17 pm

norton ash wrote:I've seen the robot trucks working deep underground in hard-rock mines with their scoop-buckets, controlled from the surface. They beep at you when their motion/heat sensor detects your presence, pause for five seconds and 'stare' at you, and then are steered back to picking up their blasted rock. It's amazing and unnerving, and impossible not to anthropomorphize them, e.g. , they seem happy as they hustle away.

We've got them working in hospitals over here now - apparently Japan and the US pioneered it, but now we have them doing all the ancillary jobs in Forth Valley Royal Hospital. They're mostly just big square boxes or driverless forklift trucks. I foresee a few heart-attacks when older patients or recovering drug-addicts get up in the middle of the night and see vacuum cleaners going around the corridors by themselves. They also pick out drugs in the pharmacy and take clinical waste away for disposal.

Oh, and they're ridiculously slow in everything they do, and steal people's jobs. Where are the Luddites when we need them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10344849

In Japan they can even conduct marriages:

"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:19 pm

82_28 wrote:

:shock:

NOOOOO!!!!
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 am

Sorry for triple-posting, but DARPA really are terrible people, and masters of the Uncanny Valley.

BIGDOG

LITTLEDOG

Robot Snake

LittleDog reminds me of that electric spider + light-gun game that was around in the 80s. Think it was called "Stop Boris!"

Somebody should stop Boston Dynamics.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby 82_28 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 pm

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:44 pm

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-sea ... obots.html

Seabird's morphing wings inspire design for robots that can both fly and swim

(PhysOrg.com) -- There are robots that can fly, and there are robots that can swim, but so far a robot that can both fly and swim does not exist. With the goal to design an aerial/aquatic robotic vehicle, a team of researchers is investigating how nature achieves both aerial and aquatic motion in a single entity, particularly in a seabird called the common guillemot. They plan to use their calculations, models, and simulations to design a robotic vehicle with a morphing wing similar to the one used by the seabird.

Researchers Richard Lock, who is working under the supervision of Dr. Ravi Vaidyanathan at the Bristol Robotics Laboratory, University of Bristol, and coauthors, have published their investigation of the common guillemot's locomotive abilities in a recent issue of Bioinspiration & Biomimetics.

“The capacity to mathematically model the morphological shifts the bird makes from aerial to aquatic media is our first step in being able to reproduce the process,” Lock told PhysOrg.com. “Understanding locomotion in a single medium is already a complex problem to solve; therefore, attempting to further our understanding of systems with a multi-modal capability, i.e., operations in two different media, provides many challenges. Our work focuses on trying to understand this balance between the different media, focusing on how different mission requirements present different compromises in performance.”

As the researchers explained, a variety of birds and insects are capable of locomotion in both air and water. However, these animals are confronted with numerous physiological challenges, due primarily to the fact that water is some 800 times denser than air. The animals' locomotive strategies that solve this problem can generally be divided into two categories: two different mechanisms for the two different media, or a single mechanism adapted for both media.

The common guillemot falls into the second category, as it flaps its wings for locomotion in both media. However, the bird modifies its wing shape when swimming by folding part of its wing. This simple change results in a reduction of surface area, which, as the researchers calculated, reduces profile drag by as much as 50% and significantly reduces the overall power requirements. This ability enables the common guillemot to nest on land along the coast, fly up to 30 km out to sea, dive underwater, and flap its wings to swim and hunt for marine food.

After developing a model of the common guillemot's wing size, shape, and flapping behavior, the researchers validated the model with simulations. Their goal was to find the values of key variables that achieve the highest performance (i.e., the lowest energy requirements) for a robotic vehicle that could fly with a range of 2 km at a velocity of 20 m/s and swim with a range of 500 m at a velocity of 1.5 m/s. These values are similar to that of the typical feeding habits of the common guillemot. The model’s suggested values for key geometric and kinematic parameters were in close agreement to those exhibited by the guillemot, providing the researchers with preliminary validation of their numerical model. The model can also be used for additional missions based on projected uses of the concept vehicle.

A robotic vehicle with the ability to fly and swim could have a variety of applications. For example, the vehicle could be used to inspect underwater oil pipes while flying to and from remote oil rigs. It could also be used for aerial and aquatic surveillance for counter-terrorism purposes. Variations in the missions could require very different operating speeds in each medium. The numerical model developed by the researchers takes these issues into consideration and can provide mission-specific optimal values to use in future concept vehicle designs. Currently, the researchers are developing an experimental platform from which they can investigate various parameters associated with flapping propulsion during aquatic locomotion.

As Lock noted, there are still several challenges that need to be addressed, starting with the need to better understand the performance compromise between operations in the air and water due to the fact that robots of this type have not yet reached a level of maturity within the research community.

“The second biggest challenge that we face is one that everybody within the robotics community has to deal with, and that is the problem of a suitable power source,” he said. “There is of course a finite payload which any robotic vehicle can carry, of which the power source invariably contributes a significant proportion of the overall mass. Implementing a power source that is light enough to allow aerial operations but provides sufficient power to enable the use of the locomotion mechanisms for any feasible length of time is a huge problem that we face. Luckily this is a common problem faced by many robots whereby the ultimate aim is for the untethered operations and as such many research groups are striving towards new power sources with greater power-to-weight ratios and lifespans. Although not currently available, we believe that in time a suitable power source will be developed that allows aerial/aquatic vehicles to be developed.

“Finally, the third challenge we face comes from developing a vehicle of this scale capable of aerial operations utilizing beating wing flight. Very few mature examples exist that achieve this mode of locomotion through a flapping locomotion strategy, and they are not attempting operations in water as well. Solutions to this problem do exist, such as the inclusion of an additional propulsion source for use whilst in air such as a propeller, but this then moves away from the biological example from which the work drew inspiration. However, we are not ruling this out as a stepping stone whilst addressing other elements of the complex task that we face.”
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby dbcooper41 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 pm

if anyone really wants to learn about the robot people they should follow up on my earlier posts on the subject.
learn who was at the meeting on 9/29/01(part 2) and you might just decide you know who pulled off 9/11. :shrug:
dbcooper41

Postby 82_28 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:14 pm

Linkie dink, coop?
82_28

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm

82_28 wrote:

My goodness, having followed here and there the progress of androids since the 80's I am astonished that they finally nailed it. Now, if only they can merge this 'valley of the uncanny' with an Asimov robot...then we're truly in AI/Blade Runner world.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby dbcooper41 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 am

does no one else think it is unusual that a group of robot experts, all directly linked to darpa, john blitch, robin murphy, nasa and the spacewarfare people(ralph eberhart, remember him?), or the future battlefield folks, would get together at the end of september 2001 for an invitation only meeting that was funded by darpa in the middle of september 2001, immediately after the events of 9/11. supposedly john blitch was still at the wtc site, yet he is shown as a participant in 2 groups as a saic/darpa employee.
the "lunchtime entertainment" was a presentation of the rescue robots at the wtc site. all the participants were linked to the so called rescue robots(in reality they were explosive ordinance disposal robots). 9/11 was the largest event in the history of "rescue robots", yet, the report had absolutley NO MENTION OF 9/11 AND RESCUE ROBOTS EXCEPT FOR THE LUNCHEON PRESENTATION BY ROBIN MURPHY(SNUFF FILM).
look at the invitation. when was it actually prepared? when was the darpa funding request submitted and granted?
in my line of work we might have called this an after action review, or a lessons learned review.
does no one else see this connection?
(edited to remove bitchy remark.) :oops:
dbcooper41

Next

Return to General Discussion