The robot thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The robot thread

Postby Nordic » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 pm

h/t cryptogon

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19506130

Cheetah robot 'runs faster than Usain Bolt'

A robot called Cheetah has set a new world speed record for legged robots, running faster than the fastest human.

The headless machine, funded by the Pentagon, reached 28.3mph (45.5km/h) when tested on a treadmill.

Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt's top speed is 27.78mph (44.7km/h).

The project is part of efforts to develop robots for military use. One robotics expert told the BBC that it was "unfortunate" the Cheetah was made primarily "to kill people".

It has been created by the Massachusetts robotics company Boston Dynamics and backed by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa).

According to Darpa, the aim is to "more effectively assist war fighters across a greater range of missions".

The Cheetah, which is powered by a hydraulic pump, broke its own record of 18mph (29km/h), recorded in February.

"The Cheetah had a slight advantage over Bolt as it ran on a treadmill," Darpa said in a statement, "but most of the power Cheetah used was to swing and lift its legs fast enough, not to propel itself forward."

The agency plans to test the robot in the field in 2013.

Killing civilians?
The machine's design has been inspired by the real cheetah, the fastest land animal, which can reach speeds of 75mph (121km/h).

"Cheetahs happen to be beautiful examples of how natural engineering has created speed and agility across rough terrain," said Gill Pratt, Darpa programme manager.

Usain Bolt: World's fastest human
"Our Cheetah bot borrows ideas from nature's design to inform stride patterns, flexing and unflexing of parts like the back, placement of limbs and stability."

"What we gain through Cheetah and related research efforts are technological building blocks that create possibilities for a whole range of robots suited to future Department of Defense missions."

Noel Sharkey, professor of artificial intelligence and robotics at the University of Sheffield, said the robot was "an incredible technical achievement, but it's unfortunate that it's going to be used to kill people".

"It's going to be used for chasing people across the desert, I would imagine. I can't think of many civilian applications - maybe for hunting, or farming, for rounding up sheep.

"But of course if it's used for combat, it would be killing civilians as well as it's not going to be able to discriminate between civilians and soldiers."

I can't embed the video right now. It's at cryptogon, but I can't access it right now, thanks to whatever bug they have in my computer.

http://cryptogon.com/?p=31186
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

h/t cryptogon

A robot called Cheetah has set a new world speed record for legged robots, running faster than the fastest human.

The headless machine, funded by the Pentagon, reached 28.3mph (45.5km/h) when tested on a treadmill.

The project is part of efforts to develop robots for military use. One robotics expert told the BBC that it was "unfortunate" the Cheetah was made primarily "to kill people".

It has been created by the Massachusetts robotics company Boston Dynamics and backed by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa).

According to Darpa, the aim is to "more effectively assist war fighters across a greater range of missions".

The Cheetah, which is powered by a hydraulic pump, broke its own record of 18mph (29km/h), recorded in February.

"The Cheetah had a slight advantage over Bolt as it ran on a treadmill," Darpa said in a statement, "but most of the power Cheetah used was to swing and lift its legs fast enough, not to propel itself forward."

Killing civilians?
The machine's design has been inspired by the real cheetah, the fastest land animal, which can reach speeds of 75mph (121km/h).

"Cheetahs happen to be beautiful examples of how natural engineering has created speed and agility across rough terrain," said Gill Pratt, Darpa programme manager.

"Our Cheetah bot borrows ideas from nature's design to inform stride patterns, flexing and unflexing of parts like the back, placement of limbs and stability."

"What we gain through Cheetah and related research efforts are technological building blocks that create possibilities for a whole range of robots suited to future Department of Defense missions."

Noel Sharkey, professor of artificial intelligence and robotics at the University of Sheffield, said the robot was "an incredible technical achievement, but it's unfortunate that it's going to be used to kill people".

"It's going to be used for chasing people across the desert, I would imagine. I can't think of many civilian applications - maybe for hunting, or farming, for rounding up sheep.

"But of course if it's used for combat, it would be killing civilians as well as it's not going to be able to discriminate between civilians and soldiers."

I can't embed the video right now. It's at cryptogon, but I can't access it right now, thanks to whatever bug they have in my computer.

Nordic

h/t cryptogon

Killing civilians?

Nordic

Postby Laodicean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 am

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Okay, you got me. The "Cheetah" designed to kill people is a hell of an argument for an individual right to automatic weapons - and RPGs.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm

I am trying to determine a meaningful way to contribute to this thread without risking any personal information.

Humanoid Robot Challenge Kicks Off At DARPA

For the next two years, researchers and scientists from the nation's top robotics shops in government, academia, and the private sector will compete for a $2 million prize to see who can build a robot that can use human hand tools, drive vehicles, and climb ladders in a disaster scenario.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's Robotics Challenge, announced in April and launched Wednesday, will bring together some of the nation's top robotics engineers in a bid to develop some of the most advanced robotics yet built.

The challenge requires teams to build robots and robotics software that can navigate through the scene of a disaster. In addition to using tools, driving, and climbing ladders, the robots will have to traverse rubble and move debris.

While there are few qualms made that the endgame here is defense, this is being done in the wake of Fukushima and the inherent risk to human life in the wake of a natural or manmade disaster.

Certain actors are naive about the implications of war, and almost all are acting primarily to mitigate loss of human life. Prestige and money are other influential factors. It is obvious that Raytheon is a challenger for strictly war machine research, and to a lesser extent that is true for Lockheed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me via PM.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby semper occultus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:10 pm

The robots are already with us, but they are still in a quite underdeveloped phase. My interest in them was sparked on a visit to Japan a couple of years ago, where I observed a miniature, humanoid-type robot navigate a zigzag, elevated pathway on a small bicycle, using artificially generated sight, co-ordination and balance functions.

It was an impressive feat that would have foxed many biological humans. This robot couldn’t think for itself but it was capable of some highly complex, reactive movements strictly reserved, until now, for those of Darwinian origin.

Japan sees robotics as very much the future, and is investing in its development accordingly. This is not just for economic advancement. Japan also thinks of robots as a viable alternative to mass immigration.

No, seriously. For the notoriously insular Japanese, the idea of a friendly robot in the house to see to your every need is widely thought far preferable to a culturally alien immigrant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/9778354/Our-robotic-revolution-is-only-just-beginning-to-gather-steam.html
semper occultus

Postby stefano » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:32 am

"Needs a bit more work."

stefano

Postby ShinShinKid » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm

The robot apocalypse has been imminent since "Terminator" came out.
Robots are expensive, and are called for in expensive scenarios...again we come back to vanity...do you really think they'll send a robot after you? Puh-leeze, you really think you're worth that much? Much more likely they'll just cut your water off, or burn your house down, or shut your work down, or poison your local environments, or any number of much more cost effective ways of dealing with the "masses". That's all we are, masses, so no need for shameless hubris...so stop worrying, if anything, start building your own! They are quite easy to construct nowadays, and you can weaponize them too, if you want.
Thing about robots, is, they are usually somewhere back, designed by a person, so a person can undesign them, too.
BTW, I have extensive experience with robotics, both within and outside the scope of force projection/ protection.
Don't be afraid, robots are your friends (or could be). :thumbsup
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby jlaw172364 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:35 am

Robots are used by the humans that control them as force multipliers. One pilot can take command of multiple drones without risking any injury, whereas if human pilots get shot down, in all likelihood, they die. In any case, they are out of commission. Drones are cheaper than airplanes with pilots. The human is never at risk. No life support systems are necessary. The same thing goes for other units too. You could sent in tanks in that are remotely piloted by humans. You could even have a Command and Conquer style scenario where one commander can control a whole batch of units with a few mouse clicks.

But what you said about neglect taking care of people is true also. The robots are mostly useful if people start getting violent.
jlaw172364

Postby dbcooper41 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:28 pm

and like i told you guys. :wallhead:
the robot/drone/automated warfare advocates were all over the 9/11 events.
dbcooper41

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:18 pm

$24k. Pretty cool, though.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby justdrew » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:02 am

By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

www.logosfoundation.org/instrum_gwr/HAT.html

Postby IanEye » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:14 pm

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby stefano » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:52 pm

A robot solving a Rubik's cube in 0.637 seconds.

stefano

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion