The Amazing Rita Katz and S.I.T.E.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Amazing Rita Katz and S.I.T.E.

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:24 pm

GORDON DUFF AND BRIAN JOBERT: IS ISRAEL CONTROLLING PHONY TERROR NEWS?

December 30, 2009 posted by Gordon Duff

(FALSIFIED VIDEO REALLY TAKEN IN 1991: Courtesy Fox News)

Who says Al Qaeda takes credit for a bombing? Rita Katz. Who gets us bin Laden tapes? Rita Katz. Who gets us prettymuch all information telling us Muslims are bad? Rita Katz? Rita Katz is the Director of Site Intelligence, primary source for intelligence used by news services, Homeland Security, the FBI and CIA. What is her qualification? She served in the Israeli Defense Force. She has a college degree and most investigative journalists believe the Mossad “helps” her with her information. We find no evidence of any qualification whatsoever of any kind. A bartender has more intelligence gathering experience.

Nobody verifies her claims. SITE says Al Qaeda did it, it hits the papers. SITE says Israel didn’t do it, that hits the papers too. What does SITE really do? They check the internet for “information,” almost invariably information that Israel wants reported and it is sold as news, seen on American TV, reported in our papers and passed around the internet almost as though it were actually true. Amazing.

Do we know if the information reported comes from a teenager in Seattle or a terror cell in Jakarta? No, of course not, we don’t have a clue. Can you imagine buying information on Islamic terrorism from an Israeli whose father was executed as a spy by Arabs?

It is quite likely that everything you think you know about terror attacks such as the one in Detroit or whether Osama bin Laden is alive or dead comes from Rita Katz. Does she make it all up? We don’t know, nobody knows, nobody checks, they simply buy it, print it, say it comes from Site Intelligence and simply forget to tell us that this is, not only a highly biased organization but also an extremely amateur one also.

Is any of this her fault, Rita's? No. She is herself, selling her work. The blame is not Site Intelligence, it is the people who pass on the information under misleading circumstances.

Imagine if a paper carried a story like this:

Reports that Al Qaeda was responsible for bombing the mosque and train station were given to us by an Israeli woman who says she found it on the internet.

This is fair. Everyone should be able to earn a living and information that comes from Israel could be without bias but the chances aren’t very good. In fact, any news organization, and most use this service, that fails to indicate that the sources they use are “rumored” to be a foreign intelligence service with a long history of lying beyond human measure, is not to be taken seriously.

Can we prove that SITE Intelligence is the Mossad? No. Would a reasonable person assume it is? Yes.

Would a reasonable person believe anything from this source involving Islam or the Middle East? No, they would not.

SITE’s primary claim to fame other than bin Laden videos with odd technical faults is their close relationship with Blackwater. Blackwater has found site useful. Blackwater no longer exists as they had to change their name because of utter lack of credibility.

What can be learned by examining where our news comes from? Perhaps we could start being realistic and begin seeing much of our own news and the childish propaganda it really is.

Propaganda does two things:

1. It makes up phony reasons to justify acts of barbaric cruelty or insane greed.

2. It blames people for things they didn’t do because the people doing the blaming really did it themselves. We call these things “false flag/USS Liberty” incidents.

Next time you see dancing Palestinians and someone tells you they are celebrating a terror attack, it is more likely they are attending a birthday party. This is what we have learned, perhaps this is what we had best remember.

From an AFP article on Site Intelligence:

Rita Katz and S.I.T.E. are set to release yet another “aL-Qaeda” tape

Despite a massive manhunt by the world’s intelligence agencies, BL seems to evade their combined efforts, staying on the run. But he still has time to drop into his recording studio and cook up a fresh tape for the likes of Rita Katz and her outfit called S.I.T.E. SITE is staffed by TWO people, Katz and a Josh Devon.

WASHINGTON (AFP) The head of the Al-Qaeda network Osama bin Laden is expected to release a taped message on Iraq, a group monitoring extremist online forums said Thursday. The 56-minute tape by the hunted militant is addressed to Iraq and an extremist organization based there, the Islamic State of Iraq, said the US-based SITE monitoring institute, citing announcements on “jihadist forums.”

It said the release was “impending” but did not say whether the message was an audio or video tape. Despite a massive manhunt and a 25-million-dollar bounty on his head, he has evaded capture and has regularly taunted the United States and its allies through warnings issued on video and audio cassettes.

Source: ME Times

Yes, despite a massive manhunt by the world’s intelligence agencies, BL seems to evade their combined efforts, staying on the run. But he still has time to drop into his recording studio and cook up a fresh tape for the likes of Rita Katz and her outfit called S.I.T.E. SITE is staffed by TWO people, Katz and a Josh Devon.

Yet these two individuals manage to do what the ENTIRE combined assets of the world’s Western intelligence can’t:

Be the first to obtain fresh video and audio tapes from aL-Qaeda with Bin Laden making threats and issuing various other comments. If BL appears a bit “stiff” in the latest release, that’s because he is real stiff, as in dead.

How is it that a Jewish owned group like S.I.T.E. can outperform the world’s best and brightest in the intelligence field and be the first to know that a group like al-Qaeda is getting ready to release another tape?

How is it possible that Rita Katz and S.I.T.E. can work this magic? Maybe looking at Katz’s background will help:

Rita Katz is Director and co-founder of the SITE Institue. Born in Iraq, her father was tried and executed as an Israeli spy, whereupon her family moved to Israel [the move has been described as both an escape and an emmigration in different sources]. She received a degree from the Middle Eastern Studies program at Tel Aviv University, and is fluent in Hebrew and Arabic. She emigrated to the US in 1997.

Katz was called as a witness in the trial, but the government didn’t claim she was a terrorism expert. During the trial it was discovered that Katz herself had worked in violation of her visa agreement when she first arrived in America in 1997.

She also admitted to receiving more than $130,000 for her work as an FBI consultant on the case.

Source Watch

Link

Also from the Source Watch link above (lots of interesting info there):

In early September 2007, SITE announced that Osama bin Laden would release a video message on the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the United States. Bloomberg News also reported that IntelCenter, another web monitoring service, noted that al Qaeda's media production group as-Sahab flagged the video in an online media statement.[8] While Bloomberg reported only that the video would be released, the Associated Press stated that "the 30-minute video was obtained by the SITE Institute" and had provided a copy to the AP. The report stated that "American officials said the U.S. government had obtained a copy even though the video had not been posted yet by al-Qaeda".[9] AP noted that "during the video, bin Laden's image moves for only a total of about 3 1/2 minutes in two segments, staying frozen the rest of the time while his remarks continue." An anonymous U.S. intelligence official told the AP it may have been a technical glitch that occurred during production. While the video was intercepted by US intelligence agencies, its provision to SITE Institute may have been a boon to the small group, which only made it available on its website to subscribers.[10] However, Fox News released a transcript of the tape.[11]

A little over a month later, the Washington Post reported that SITE had given the video to two senior officials "on the condition that the officials not reveal they had it until the al-Qaeda release." SITE's Rita Katz complained to reporter Joby Warrick that within 20 minutes of providing access to it on the group's website, several government agencies began downloading it. "By midafternoon that day, the video and a transcript of its audio track had been leaked from within the Bush administration to cable television news and broadcast worldwide," Joby Warrick wrote. "Techniques that took years to develop are now ineffective and worthless," Katz said. [12] Link

Alice here: Other than Rita Katz' magical ability to provide U.S. intelligence with "Al Qaeda" videos before they've even been posted on the internet, the truly amazing thing about the S.I.T.E. "intelligence group" (with a staff of two and maybe the occasional grad student temping) is that their stable of Evil Al Qaeda Masterminds consists exclusively of dead people and Jewish "converts to Islam". Now that's pretty impressive, but most impressive of all, in my opinion, is Katz' uncanny ability to sell this stuff to actual American intelligence agencies, to the U.S. Treasury Dept., and to huge media organizations among others for lots and lots of money and even get tax-exempt status!!!
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Amazing Rita Katz and S.I.T.E.

Postby barracuda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Any discussion of the sources for bogus stories of Al Qaeda masterminds should include the CIA-linked company IntelCenter. IntelCenter probably created Al-Qaeda’s media arm As-Sahab, and works hand in hand with the bogus Pakistani Al-Qaeda group Jundullah. IntelCenter has been responsible for releasing a number of these tapes:

April 2006: A video featuring Qaeda no. 2 Ayman al-Zawahiri, in which he said the US military had "seen only 'loss, disaster and misfortune' in Iraq". It "was first obtained by IntelCenter".[2]

In June 2006, a video of "20th hijacker" Fawaz al-Nashimi, who died in a shootout in Saudi Arabia in 2004, "was released by IntelCenter".[3]

On 30 September 2006, an 18-minute al-Qaeda tape in which Al-Zawahiri called Bush "a deceitful charlatan". It was "made available" by Intelcenter.[4]

On 2 October 2006, IntelCenter and Venzke were again referenced as a source in an article detailing a silent Al Qaeda video recently released in which two 9/11 hijackers, Mohamed Atta, and Ziad Al-Jarrah, read their last wills and testaments.[5]

27 April 2007: A file picture "released by the IntelCenter of leading Al-Qaeda operative in Afghanistan Abu Laith al-Libi during an interview". As-Sahab logo on picture. (From a video.)[6]

On 4 July 2007, an al-Zawahiri video was "provided by al-Qaeda's As-Sahab Media to ... IntelCenter".[7] Another US-based intelligence group, SITE, "said it had obtained the tape ahead of its release on the internet by militant web sites".[1] The video was "first reported by IntelCenter and SITE".[8]

On 11 September 2007, a "video" of bin Laden with an IntelCenter credit appeared on the news.[9]. The visuals consisted of a still picture of Osama (similar to, or the same as, the "frozen" image on the video[10] "provided" by SITE to Associated Press on 7 Sept. 2007). The video also contained footage of Waleed al-Shehri, one of the 9/11 hijackers.

14 September 2007: A video of a dead US pilot, bearing the insignia of the "Islamic State of Iraq", an al-Qaeda affiliate. It "was first obtained by IntelCenter".[11]

2 April 2008: An online audiofile, in which Al-Zawahiri called the United Nations an enemy of Islam, was released via IntelCenter by As-Sahab (according to IntelCenter).[12]

So whatever disinfo Ms. Katz/Mossad is pushing, she's apparently got some real competition from the Defense Department.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:17 pm

S.I.T.E. and IntelCenter are two sides of the same Mossad coin (the Mossad, believe it or not, operate through multiple fronts):

IntelCenter is run by Ben Venzke, former director of intelligence at iDefense, a VeriSign company. VeriSign is a partner of Verint, formerly known as Comverse Infosys, which was founded by former Israeli intelligence officer Jacob “Kobi” Alexander. In 2006, Alexander fled to Namibia after the U.S. Department of Justice indicted him on multiple counts of fraud. Comverse/Verint, one of a number of Israeli eavesdropping and surveillance companies created by veterans of Unit 8200, the technology intel unit of the Israeli Defense Forces Intelligence Corps, has been widely suspected of spying on Americans. Link
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Nordic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm bookmarking this thread ....
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:23 pm

The 2007 video, with 12 minutes of a still image from the 2004 video over new audio, can be seen as one of the all-time fuck-you's to the skeptical community. That's right, still image for 12 minutes! Whatcha gonna do about it, punk? But that may be too self-centered a view. More likely, it was a test of just how obediently the media will play along, or how stupid and fearful they really are.

Of course, Al-Jazeera is an important player in all this, having accepted direct deliveries of several of the most important works (like the KSM/Binalshibh Karachi confessions to Yosri Fouda, done in distorted audio in April, May or June 2002, depending on which of Fouda's several stories you prefer.)

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Nordic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Pretty good link here, from one of cuda's links:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... error.html

For those who prefer their info in a more mainstream flavor ....
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm

JackRiddler wrote:Of course, Al-Jazeera is an important player in all this, having accepted direct deliveries of several of the most important works (like the KSM/Binalshibh Karachi confessions to Yosri Fouda, done in distorted audio in April, May or June 2002, depending on which of Fouda's several stories you prefer.)

Ah, yes, Yosri Fouda! He's quite a piece of work. He left Al-Jazeera several years ago and is currently hosting an Egyptian current-affairs show on a private network owned by the billionaire Sawiris family. On pretty much any other subject, his show is pretty good, informative and hard-hitting. But then, every few episodes he airs a special covering something about "Al Qaeda" in which he obsequiously interviews some American "terrorism expert" -- suddenly his normally skeptical, "been there, done that" air is gone, replaced with a fawning, worshipful air and softball questions.

I was actually pretty psyched to watch his special on the anniversary of 9/11, figuring it would be entertaining. After a few minutes of watching him derisively dismiss "conspiracy theories" and accuse anybody who dares to question the Official Story of "ignorance", I couldn't watch any more. It was like he was reading from a script. It was sickening but even more than that, it was boring as hell.
AlicetheKurious

Postby barracuda » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 pm

AlicetheKurious wrote:S.I.T.E. and IntelCenter are two sides of the same Mossad coin (the Mossad, believe it or not, operate through multiple fronts):

Maybe, though the Director of Threat Intelligence for iDefense/VeriSign is pure DIA, a U.S. Army Colonel with Military Intelligence assigned to the office of the Secretary of Defense until 2008. In other words, you're trying to paint IntelCenter as Mossad on the basis of an Israeli partnership of the parent company, Verisign, when the reality could just as easily be that the DoD is the controlling agency here. To say that VeriSign or even IntelCenter is Mossad is a stretch, I think, without better evidence than you've presented here. More likely DoD/CIA.

However, I realise that you may likely consider the DoD as a Mossad offshoot as well...
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:26 pm

barracuda wrote:However, I realise that you may likely consider the DoD as a Mossad offshoot as well...

Let's put it this way: given the fact that the DoD has a history of being liberally infested with the likes of Dov Zakheim, who was its Chief Financial Comptroller and Paul Wolfowitz, who was its Deputy Secretary and Richard Perle, who was the Chairman of the Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee (just off the top of my head -- I gotta run), let's just say that the lines can be a bit blurry.

I can flesh this out later.
AlicetheKurious

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:28 am

barracuda wrote:...you're trying to paint IntelCenter as Mossad on the basis of an Israeli partnership of the parent company, Verisign, when the reality could just as easily be that the DoD is the controlling agency here.

Actually, Verisign is more than just a partner with Verint. An SEC investigation in 2006 discovered that

...three companies have six directors who sit on more than one implicated company board—Comverse, Verint Systems, and Ulticom. Comverse is the controlling stockholder of Verint, the Corporate Library notes.

Verisign has five dual-board directors, while Juniper Networks and Xilinx have four. According to the study, two directors in the network of option-scandal boards—William H. Kurtz and Scott G. Kriens—connect the most boards.

...Novellus noted that Kurtz, who has been Novellus's CFO since September 2005, is a member of the boards of Redback Networks and PMC Sierra (which were both named in the report) and chairs the audit committees of both companies. Link

In one of those strange coincidences, Novellus' president between 1993 and 2007 was Sass Somekh, like Rita Katz an Iraqi-born Jew who moved to Israel at a very young age. Actually, the story of his early life is eerily similar to that of Rita Katz except for his father being eventually released from prison instead of being hanged for espionage as Katz' father was:

I was born in Iraq. I am a Jewish refugee from Iraq. In 1948, when the state of Israel was established, my father was thrown into prison. I was two at the time. My mother had to take my sister and myself and escape from Iraq into Iran. We were robbed on the way, but eventually we arrived and lived in a refugee camp.

My father was released from prison five years after he was arrested, so we lived in the refugee camp until we were reunited as a family. The reason he was imprisoned, was that he was falsely charged. It was a way at taking revenge on the Jews who lived in Iraq, for losing the war in Israel. We were reunited in 1953 and started our life in Israel. Link

As for Juniper Networks,

For years, firewall wizards such as Marcus Ranum had speculated on the existence of a Mossad backdoor in the Israeli-owned Check Point. Link

Nir Zuk to leave Juniper Networks
Published by: Globes
http://www.globes.co.il
Ofer Levi
02/03/2005

Zuk is expected to found a security start-up.

Sources inform "Globes" that Juniper Networks (Nasdaq: JNPR) chief security technologist Nir Zuk is expected to leave the company shortly, and found a new start-up in the security field. Zuk confirmed that he was leaving the company, and said that he had been in his position for several years, and that it was time to move on and found a new start-up.

It is believed that Zuk is already negotiating with the Greylock and Sequoia Capital funds to raise initial financing for his new start-up, but he denied the report, and said he was not negotiating with the two funds. Zuk explained that at the current stage, he had no concrete plan for the company to be founded. He added that after he had left Check Point (Nasdaq: CHKP), it had taken him six months before he founded a start-up OneSecure.

Zuk, 33, one of Check Point’s first employees, constantly predicts doom and gloom for the company. He joined Check Point after meeting cofounders CEO Gil Shwed and Shlomo Kramer during their [Israeli] army service. He worked over four years at the company, and was chief engineer there.

After leaving Check Point, Zuk founded OneSecure, sold in 2002 for 5% of information security company NetScreen Technologies. Zuk owned 8% of OneSecure at the time. He switched to Juniper after that company acquired NetScreen for $4 billion in shares. Link

Now to Ulticom: according to Wikipedia, Ulticom is actually a subsidiary of the Israeli-owned Comverse Technology, along with Verint.

The current President and CEO of Xilinx is Moshe Gavrielov, who obtained his MS, Bachelor's Degree, BS and Master's Degree, all from Technion Israel Institute Of Technology.

Bottom line: Ben Venske, CEO of IntelCenter was Director of Intelligence at a Verisign company. Verisign has 5 dual-board directors with fellow hi-tech Department of Defense contractors that are either Israeli owned or have significant ties to Israel. You may consider this to be relevant or not, as you wish.
Last edited by AlicetheKurious on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlicetheKurious

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:53 am

Re: barracuda's implication that working for the DoD somehow disqualifies one from being an agent of the Mossad, here are some excerpts from the important 2004 article Serving Two Flags: The Bush Neo-Cons and Israel, by Stephen Green:

... Have the neo-conservatives—many of whom are senior officials in the Defense Department, National Security Council and Office of the Vice President—had dual agendas, while professing to work for the internal security of the United States against its terrorist enemies?

A review of the internal security backgrounds of some of the best known among them strongly suggests the answer.

Dr. Stephen Bryen and Colleagues

In April of 1979, Deputy Assistant Attorney General Robert Keuch recommended in writing that Bryen, then a staff member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, undergo a grand jury hearing to establish the basis for a prosecution for espionage. John Davitt, then Chief of the Justice Department’s Internal Security Division, concurred.

The evidence was strong. Bryen had been overheard in the Madison Hotel Coffee Shop, offering classified documents to an official of the Israeli Embassy in the presence of the director of AIPAC, the American-Israel Public Affairs Committee. It was later determined that the Embassy official was Zvi Rafiah, the Mossad station chief in Washington. Bryen refused to be poly-graphed by the FBI on the purpose and details of the meeting; whereas the person who’d witnessed it agreed to be poly-graphed and passed the test.

The Bureau also had testimony from a second person, a staff member of the Foreign Relations Committee, that she had witnessed Bryen in his Senate office with Rafiah, discussing classified documents that were spread out on a table in front of an open safe in which the documents were supposed to be secured. Not long after this second witness came forward, Bryen’s fingerprints were found on classified documents he’d stated in writing to the FBI he’d never had in his possession....the ones he’d allegedly offered to Rafiah.

Nevertheless, following the refusal of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to grant access by Justice Department officials to files which were key to the investigation, Keuch’s recommendation for a grand jury hearing, and ultimately the investigation itself, were shut down. This decision, taken by Philip Heymann, Chief of Justice’s Criminal Division, was a bitter disappointment to Davitt and to Joel Lisker, the lead investigator on the case, as expressed to this writer. A complicating factor in the outcome was that Heymann was a former schoolmate and fellow U.S. Supreme Court Clerk of Bryen’s attorney, Nathan Lewin.

Bryen was asked to resign from his Foreign Relations Committee post shortly before the investigation was concluded in late 1979. For the following year and a half, he served as Executive Director of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (JINSA), and provided consulting services to AIPAC.

In April, 1981, the FBI received an application by the Defense Department for a Top Secret security clearance for Dr. Bryen. Richard Perle, who had just been nominated as Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Policy, was proposing Bryen as his Deputy Assistant Secretary! Within six months, with Perle pushing hard, Bryen received both Top Secret-SCI (sensitive compartmented information) and Top Secret-“NATO/COSMIC” clearances.

Loyalty, Patriotism and Character

The Bryen investigation became in fact the most contentious issue in Perle’s own confirmation hearings in July, 1981. Under aggressive questioning from Sen. Jeremiah Denton, Perle held his ground: “I consider Dr. Bryen to be an individual impeccable integrity....I have the highest confidence in [his] loyalty, patriotism and character.”

Several years later in early 1988, Israel was in the final stages of development of a prototype of its ground based “Arrow” anti-ballistic missile. One element the program lacked was “klystrons”, small microwave amplifiers which are critical components in the missile’s high frequency, radar-based target acquisition system which locks on to in-coming missiles. In 1988, klystrons were among the most advanced developments in American weapons research, and their export was of course strictly proscribed.

The DOD office involved in control of defense technology exports was the Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA) within Richard Perle’s ISP office. The Director (and founder) of DTSA was Perle’s Deputy, Dr. Stephen Bryen. In May of 1988, Bryen sent a standard form to Richard Levine, a Navy tech transfer official, informing him of intent to approve a license for Varian Associates, Inc. of Beverly, Massachusetts to export to Israel four klystrons. This was done without the usual consultations with the tech transfer officials of the Army and Air Force, or ISA (International Security Affairs) or DSAA (Defense Security Assistance Agency.

The answer from Levine was “no”. He opposed granting the license, and asked for a meeting on the matter of the appropriate (above listed) offices. At the meeting, all of the officials present opposed the license. Bryen responded by suggesting that he go back to the Israelis to ask why these particular items were needed for their defense. Later, after the Israeli Government came back with what one DOD staffer described as “a little bullshit answer”, Bryen simply notified the meeting attendees that an acceptable answer had been received, the license granted, and the klystrons released.

By now, however, the dogs were awake. Then Assistant Secretary of Defense for ISA, (and now Deputy Secretary of State) Richard Armitage sent Dr. Bryen a letter stating that the State Department (which issues the export licenses) should be informed of DOD’s “uniformly negative” reaction to the export of klystrons to Israel. Bryen did as instructed, and the license was withdrawn.

In July, Varian Associates became the first U.S. corporation formally precluded from contracting with the Defense Department. Two senior colleague in DOD who wish to remain anonymous have confirmed that this attempt by Bryen to obtain klystrons for his friends was not unusual, and was in fact “standard operating procedure” for him, recalling numerous instances when U.S. companies were denied licenses to export sensitive technology, only to learn later that Israeli companies subsequently exported similar (U.S. derived) weapons and technology to the intended customers/governments.

In late 1988, Bryen resigned from his DOD post, and for a period worked in the private sector with a variety of defense technology consulting firms.

Bryen and the China Commission

In 1997, “Defense Week” reported (05/27/97) that, ....“ the U.S. Office of Naval Intelligence reaffirmed that U.S.- derived technology from the cancelled [Israeli] Lavi fighter project is being used on China’s new F-10 fighter.” The following year, “Jane’s Intelligence Review” reported (11/01/98) the transfer by Israel to China of the Phalcon airborne early warning and control system, the Python air-combat missile, and the F-10 fighter aircraft, containing “state-of-the-art U.S. electronics.

Concern about the continuing transfer of advanced U.S. arms technology to the burgeoning Chinese military program led, in the last months of the Clinton Administration, to the creation of a Congressional consultative body called the United States-China Economic and Security Review Commission. The charter for the “The China Commission”, as it is commonly known, states that its purpose is to....“monitor, investigate, and report to the Congress on the national security implications of the bilateral trade and economic relationship between the United States and the Peoples Republic of China.” The charter also reflects an awareness of the problem of “back door” technology leaks: “The Commission shall also take into account patterns of trade and transfers through third countries to the extent practicable.”

It was almost predictable that in the new Bush Administration, Dr. Stephen Bryen would find his way to the China Commission. In April 2001, with the support of Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz and Senator Richard Shelby (R-Alabama) Bryen was appointed a Member of the Commission by Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert. Last August, his appointment was extended through December of 2005.

Informed that Bryen had been appointed to the Commission, the reaction of one former senior FBI counter-intelligence official was: “My God, that must mean he has a ”Q clearance!“ (A ”Q“ clearance, which must be approved by the Department of Energy, is the designation for a Top Secret codeword clearance to access nuclear technology.)

Michael Ledeen, Consultant on Chaos

If Stephen Bryen is the military technology guru in the neo-con pantheon, Michael Ledeen is currently its leading theorist, historian, scholar and writer. It states in the website of his consulting firm, Benador Associates, that he is ”...one of the world’s leading authorities on intelligence, contemporary history and international affairs“ and that....”As Ted Koppel puts it, ‘Michael Ledeen is a Renaissance man....in the tradition of Machiavelli.’“ Perhaps the following will add some color and texture to this description.

In 1983, on the recommendation of Richard Perle, Ledeen was hired at the Department of Defense as a consultant on terrorism. His immediate supervisor was the Principle Assistant Secretary for International Security Affairs, Noel Koch. Early in their work together, Koch noticed with concern Ledeen’s habit of stopping by in his (Koch’s) outer office to read classified materials. When the two of them took a trip to Italy, Koch learned from the CIA station there that when Ledeen had lived in Rome previously, as correspondent for The New Republic, he’d been carried in Agency files as an agent of influence of a foreign government: Israel.

Some time after their return from the trip, Ledeen approached his boss with a request for his assistance in obtaining two highly classified CIA reports which he said were held by the FBI. He’d hand written on a piece of paper the identifying “alpha numeric designators”. These identifiers were as highly classified as the reports themselves....which raised in Koch’s mind the question of who had provided them to Ledeen if he hadn’t the clearances to obtain them himself. Koch immediately told his executive assistant that Ledeen was to have no further access to classified materials in the office, and Ledeen just ceased coming to “work”.

In early 1986, however, Koch learned that Ledeen had joined NSC as a consultant, and sufficiently concerned about the internal security implications of the behavior of his former aide, arranged to be interviewed by two FBI agents on the matter. After a two hour debriefing, Koch was told that it was only Soviet military intelligence penetration that interested the Bureau. The follow-on interviews that were promised by the agents just never occurred.

Koch thought this strange, coming as it did just months after the arrest of Naval intelligence analyst Jonathan Pollard on charges of espionage for Israel. Frustrated, Koch wrote up in detail the entire saga of Ledeen’s DOD consultancy, and sent it to the Office of Senator Charles Grassley, then a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, which had oversight responsibility for, inter alia, the FBI.

A former senior FBI counter-intelligence official was surprised and somewhat skeptical, when told of Koch’s unsuccessful attempts to interest the Bureau in an investigation of Ledeen, noting that in early 1986, the Justice Department was in fact already engaged in several on-going, concurrent investigations of Israeli espionage and theft of American military technology.

Machiavelli in Tel Aviv

Koch’s belated attempts to draw official attention to his former assistant were too late, in any event, for within a very few weeks of leaving his DOD consultancy in late 1984, Ledeen had found gainful (classified) employment at the National Security Council (NSC). In fact, according to a now declassified chronology prepared for the Senate/House Iran-Contra investigation, within calendar 1984 Ledeen was already suggesting to Oliver North, his new boss at NSC....“ that Israeli contacts might be useful in obtaining release of the U.S. hostages in Lebanon.” Perhaps significantly, that is the first entry in the “Chronology of Events: U.S.- Iran Dialogue”, dated November 18,1986, prepared for the Joint House-Senate Hearings in the Iran-Contra Investigations.

What is so striking about the Ledeen-related documents which are part of the Iran-Contra Collection of the National Security Archive, is how thoroughly the judgments of Ledeen’s colleagues at NSC mirrored, and validated, Noel Koch’s internal security concerns about his consultant.

* on April 9, 1985, NSC Middle East analyst Donald Fortier wrote to National Security Advisor Robert McFarlane that NSC staffers were agreed that Ledeen’s role in the scheme should be limited to carrying messages to Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres regarding plans to cooperate with Israel on the crisis within Iran, and specifically that he should not be entrusted to ask Peres for detailed operational information;

* on June 6, 1985, Secretary of State George Shultz wrote to McFarlane that, “Israel’s record of dealings with Iran since the fall of the Shah and during the hostage crisis [show] that Israel’s agenda is not the same as ours. Consequently doubt whether an intelligence relationship such as what Ledeen has in mind would be one which we could fully rely upon and it could seriously skew our own perception and analysis of the Iranian scene.”

* on 20 August, 1985, the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense informed Ledeen by memorandum that his security clearance had been downgraded from Top Secret-SCI to Secret.

* on 16 January, 1986, Oliver North recommended to John Poindexter “for [the] security of the Iran initiative” that Ledeen be asked to take periodic polygraph examinations.

* later in January, on the 24th, North wrote to Poindexter of his suspicion that Ledeen, along with Adolph Schwimmer and Manucher Ghorbanifar, might be making money personally on the sale of arms to Iran, through Israel.

During the June 23-25, 1987 joint hearings of the House and Senate select committees’ investigation of Iran-Contra, Noel Koch testified that he became suspicious when he learned that the price which Ledeen had negotiated for the sale to the Israeli Government of basic TOW missiles was $2,500 each.

Upon inquiring with his DOD colleagues, he learned the lowest price the U.S. had ever received for the sale of TOWs to a foreign government had been a previous sale to Israel for $6,800 per copy. Koch, professing in his testimony that he and his colleagues at DOD were not in favor of the sale to begin with, determined that he—Koch—should renegotiate the $2,500 price so that it could be defended by the “defense management system.” In a clandestine meeting on a Sunday in the first class lounge of the TWA section of National Airport, Koch met over a cup of coffee with an official from the Israeli purchasing mission in New York, and agreed on a price of $4,500 per missile, nearly twice what Ledeen had “negotiated” in Israel.

There are two possibilities here—one would be a kickback, as suspected by his NSC colleagues, and the other would be that Michael Ledeen was effectively negotiating for Israel, not the U.S. Like his friend Stephen Bryen (they’ve long served together on the JINSA Board of Advisors) Ledeen has been out of government service since the late1980s....until the present Bush Administration. He, like Bryen, is presently a serving member on the China Commission and, with the support of DOD Undersecretary for Policy Douglas Feith, he has since 2001 been employed as a consultant for the Office of Special Plans OSP). Both involve the handling of classified materials and require high-level security clearances.

The Principals: Perle, Wolfowitz and Feith

One might wonder how, with security histories like these, Messrs. Bryen and Ledeen have managed to get second and third chances to return to government in highly classified positions.

And the explanation is that they, along with other like-minded neo-conservatives, have in the current Bush Administration friends in very high places. In particular, Bryen and Ledeen have been repeatedly boosted into defense/security posts by former Defense Policy Council member and chairman Richard Perle (he just quietly resigned his position), Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith.

As previously mentioned, Perle in 1981 as DOD Assistant Secretary for International Security Policy (ISP) hired Bryen as his Deputy. That same year, Wolfowitz as head of the State Department Policy Planning Staff hired Ledeen as a Special Advisor. In 2001 Douglas Feith as DOD Under Secretary for Policy hired, or approved the hiring of Ledeen as a consultant for the Office of Special Plans.

The principals have also assisted each other down through the years. Frequently. In 1973 Richard Perle used his (and Senator Henry “Scoop” Jackson’s) influence as a senior staff member of the Senate Armed Services Committee to help Wolfowitz obtain a job with the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. In 1982, Perle hired Feith in ISP as his Special Counsel, and then as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Negotiations Policy. In 2001, DOD Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz helped Feith obtain his appointment as Undersecretary for Policy. Feith then appointed Perle as Chairman of the Defense Policy Board. In some cases, this mutual assistance carries risks, as for instance when Perle’s hiring of Bryen as his Deputy in ISP became an extremely contentious issue in Perle’s own Senate appointment hearings as Assistant Secretary.

Every appointment/hiring listed above involved classified work for which high-level security clearances and associated background checks by the FBI were required. When the level of the clearance is not above generic Top Secret, however, the results of that background check are only seen by the hiring authority. And in the event, if the appointee were Bryen or Ledeen and the hiring authority were Perle, Wolfowitz or Feith, the appointee(s) need not have worried about the findings of the background check. In the case of Perle hiring Bryen as his deputy in 1981, for instance, documents released in 1983 under the Freedom of Information Act indicate that the Department provided extraordinarily high clearances for Bryen without having reviewed more than a small portion of his 1978-79 FBI investigation file.

Richard Perle: A Habit of Leaking

Perle came to Washington for the first time in early 1969, at the age of 28, to work for a neo-con think tank called the “Committee to Maintain a Prudent Defense Policy.” Within months, Senator Henry “Scoop” Jackson offered Perle a position on his staff, working with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. And within months after that—less than a year—Perle was embroiled in an affair involving the leaking of a classified CIA report on alleged past Soviet treaty violations.

The leaker (and author of the report) was CIA analyst David Sullivan, and the leakee was Richard Perle. CIA Director Stansfield Turner was incensed at the unauthorized disclosure, but before he could fire Sullivan, the latter quit. Turner urged Sen. Jackson to fire Perle, but he was let off with a reprimand. Jackson then added insult to injury by immediately hiring Sullivan to his staff. Sullivan and Perle became close friends and co-conspirators, and together established an informal right-wing network which they called “the Madison Group,” after their usual meeting place in—you might have guessed—the Madison Hotel Coffee Shop.

Perle’s second brush with the law occurred a year later in 1970. An FBI wiretap authorized for the Israeli Embassy picked up Perle discussing with an Embassy official classified information which he said had been supplied to by a staff member on the National Security Council. An NSC/FBI investigation was launched to identify the staff member, and quickly focused upon Helmut Sonnenfeldt. The latter had been previously investigated in 1967 while a staff member of the State Department’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research, for suspected unauthorized transmission to an Israeli Government official of a classified document concerning the commencement of the 1967 war in the Middle East.

In 1981, shortly before being appointed Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Policy (ISP)—with responsibility, inter alia, for monitoring of U.S. defense technology exports, Richard Perle was paid a substantial consulting fee by arms manufacturer Tamares, Ltd. of Israel.
    Shortly after assuming that post, Perle wrote a letter to the Secretary of the Army urging evaluation and purchase of 155 mm. shells manufactured by Soltam, Ltd. After leaving the ISP job in 1987, he worked for Soltam.

Paul Wolfowitz: A Well Placed Friend

In 1973, in the dying days of the Nixon Administration, Wolfowitz was recruited to work for the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (ACDA). There was a certain irony in the appointment, for in the late 1960’s, as a graduate student at the University of Chicago, Wolfowitz had been a student and protege of Albert Wohlstetter, an influential, vehement opponent of any form of arms control or disarmament, vis a vis the Soviets. Wolfowitz also brought to ACDA a strong attachment to Israel’s security, and a certain confusion about his obligation to U.S. national security.

In 1978, he was investigated for providing a classified document on the proposed sale of U.S. weapons to an Arab government, to an Israel Government official, through an AIPAC intermediary.
    An inquiry was launched and dropped, however, and Wolfowitz continued to work at ACDA until 1980.

In 1990, after a decade of work with the State Department in Washington and abroad, Wolfowitz was brought into DoD as Undersecretary for Policy by then Secretary of Defense Richard Cheney. Two years later, in 1992, the first Bush Administration launched a broad inter-departmental investigation into the export of classified technology to China. Of particular concern at the time was the transfer to China by Israel of U.S. Patriot missiles and/or technology. During that investigation, in a situation very reminiscent of the Bryen/Varian Associates/klystrons affair two years earlier, the Pentagon discovered that Wolfowitz’s office was promoting the export to Israel of advanced AIM-9M air-to-air missiles.

In this instance, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, aware that Israel had already been caught selling the earlier AIM 9-L version of the missile to China in violation of a written agreement with the U.S. on arms re-sales, intervened to cancel the proposed AIM (-M deal. The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs at the time was General Colin Powell, currently Secretary of State.

Wolfowitz continued to serve as DoD Undersecretary for Policy until 1993, well into the Clinton Administration. After that, however, like most of the other prominent neo-conservatives, he was relegated to trying to assist Israel from the sidelines for the remainder of Clinton’s two terms. In 1998, Wolfowitz was a co-signer of a public letter to the President organized by the “Project for the New American Century.” The letter, citing Saddam Hussein’s continued possession of “weapons of mass destruction,” argued for military action to achieve regime change and demilitarization of Iraq. Clinton wasn’t impressed, but a more gullible fellow would soon come along.

And indeed, when George W. Bush assumed the Presidency in early 2001, Wolfowitz got his opportunity. Picked as Donald Rumsfeld’s Deputy Secretary at DoD, he prevailed upon his boss to appoint Douglas Feith as Undersecretary for Policy. On the day after the destruction of the World Trade Center, September 12, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz raised the possibility of an immediate attack on Iraq during an emergency NSC meeting. The following day, Wolfowitz conducted the Pentagon press briefing, and interpreted the President’s statement on “ending states who sponsor terrorism” as a call for regime change in Iraq. Israel wasn’t mentioned.

Douglas Feith: Hardliner, Security Risk

Bush’s appointment of Douglas Feith as DoD Undersecretary for Policy in early 2001 must have come as a surprise, and a harbinger, even to conservative veterans of the Reagan and George H.W. Bush Administration. Like Michael Ledeen, Feith is a prolific writer and well-known radical conservative. Moreover, he was not being hired as a DoD consultant, like Ledeen, but as the third most senior United States Defense Department official. Feith was certainly the first, and probably the last high Pentagon official to have publicly opposed the Biological Weapons Convention (in 1986), the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty (in 1988), the Chemical Weapons Convention (in 1997), the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty (in 2000), and all of the various Middle East Peace agreements, including Oslo (in 2000).

Even more revealing perhaps, had the transition team known of it, was Feith’s view of “technology cooperation,” as expressed in a 1992 Commentary article: “It is in the interest of U.S. and Israel to remove needless impediments to technological cooperation between them. Technologies in the hands of responsible, friendly countries facing military threats, countries like Israel, serve to deter aggression, enhance regional stability and promote peace thereby.”

What Douglas Feith had neglected to say, in this last article, was that he thought that individuals could decide on their own whether the sharing of classified information was “technical cooperation,” an unauthorized disclosure, or a violation of U.S. Code 794c, the “Espionage Act.”

Ten years prior to writing the Commentary piece, Feith had made such a decision on his own. At the time, March of 1972, Feith was a Middle East analyst in the Near East and South Asian Affairs section of the National Security Council. Two months before, in January, Judge William Clark had replaced Richard Allen as National Security Advisor, with the intention to clean house. A total of nine NSC staff members were fired, including Feith, who’d only been with the NSC for a year. But Feith was fired because he’d been the object of an inquiry into whether he’d provided classified material to an official of the Israeli Embassy in Washington. The FBI had opened the inquiry. And Clark, who had served in U.S. Army counterintelligence in the 1950’s, took such matters very seriously.....more seriously, apparently, than had Richard Allen.

Feith did not remain unemployed for long, however. Richard Perle, who was in 1982 serving in the Pentagon as Assistant secretary for International Security Policy, hired him on the spot as his “Special Counsel,” and then as his Deputy. Feith worked at ISP until 1986, when he left government service to form a small but influential law firm, then based in Israel.

In 2001, Douglas Feith returned to DoD as Donald Rumsfeld’s Undersecretary for Policy, and it was in his office that “OSP”, the Office of Special Plans, was created. It was OSP that originated—some say from whole cloth—much of the intelligence that Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld have used to justify the attack on Iraq, to miss-plan the post-war reconstruction there, and then to point an accusing finger at Iran and Syria.....all to the absolute delight of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. Link
AlicetheKurious

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:16 am

Reports that Al Qaeda was responsible for bombing the mosque and train station were given to us by an Israeli woman who says she found it on the internet.

Wow! That's more proof than they had for 911!

Er, I don't think the M*ss*d were responsible for 911. I think more likely it was faction(s) within the USA intelligence/defense communities, with some assistance from allies abroad. I'm not going to mention the shrubbery.

Nice to see you Alice, I enjoy your posts, even if you do push the z*g angle a bit too much sometimes. There, that's mild criticism isnt it? You are always pretty straight on the facts though.

Alice wrote:the lines can be a bit blurry.

That's for sure. They probably all have so much on each other by now, and they have so much invested in their various middle eastern "interests" that they are joined at the hip in this alliance of convenience. I think the British are in the same boat actually. The interests of aggressive western pro war factions anxious to wage campaigns in the middle east, and even further abroad into Africa and across Asia, do coincide with the interests of aggressive zionists, in that both are keen to portray the largely mythical Al Qaeda globalised Islamic terror network as a credible threat to the continental USA and others. I am sure they work closely together on this joint project.

It's the civilised and virtuous West, together with the noble and long-suffering Jews against our ruthless and implacable common foe, the global Islamist Terror network known as Al Qaeda. Last seen in Yemen. Saddle up boys!
Hammer of Los

Postby wintler2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:22 am

From Sourcewatch:
SITE describes itself as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization "that provides information related to terrorist networks to the government, news media, and general public."[1]

However, SITE states on its Internal Revenue Service Forms 990 that it claims tax-exempt status because the "Organization receives compensation for services provided under contract to the Government of the United States on an Arms-Length basis at fair market value" and "the organization believes such work is consistent with its exempt purposes", in 2003[2] and 2004[3] the organization "earned more than $500,000 from the GOVERNMENT", with "over $273,000" coming directly from taxpayers in 2004, Berni McCoy reported September 10, 2007, in his Democratic Underground journal.[4]

Eamonn Fitzgerald wrote September 6, 2006, that his Rainy Day blog "does not subscribe to the 'Intelligence Service' offered by Rita Katz. Although convinced that evil has to be opposed, we don't have the pressing need to spend $2,500 a year on 'real-time information on terrorist activity to aid you in tracking the terrorist threat.' But others do and Katz's clients include the media and people on the frontline in the War on Terror." ..[5]
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Postby semper occultus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:54 am

RK was the "anonymous" author of :

Terrorist Hunter: The Extraordinary Story of a Woman Who Went Undercover to Infiltrate the Radical Islamic Groups Operating in America ( 2003 )

apparently she's really just...stumbled into all this counter-terror stuff really :

Katz: Little could I imagine when I responded to an employment ad in a paper, just over five years ago, that my career would evolve the way it did. It all started by pure chance; I was looking for a job, responded to an ad, and was hired to work for a Middle-East research institute. I wasn’t trained or instructed there, but rather on my own initiative and quite accidentally I started to study a certain charity, the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development (HLF), and I realized that this was a front group for Hamas. After a few months, I wanted to get to know in person the people I studied so closely, so I went to a fundraiser of theirs dressed as a Muslim woman. Soon thereafter I was attending conferences, visiting mosques, participating in rallies — and the more I did, the more I discovered the enormity of the problem of radicalism on U.S. soil.

www.nationalreview.com

the book was published by a Rupert Murdoch owned publisher
semper occultus

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:12 am

Hammer of Los wrote:They probably all have so much on each other by now, and they have so much invested in their various middle eastern "interests" that they are joined at the hip in this alliance of convenience. ...The interests of aggressive western pro war factions anxious to wage campaigns in the middle east, and even further abroad into Africa and across Asia, do coincide with the interests of aggressive zionists, in that both are keen to portray the largely mythical Al Qaeda globalised Islamic terror network as a credible threat to the continental USA and others. I am sure they work closely together on this joint project.

See, I disagree that it's an "alliance of convenience" for the Americans. If it were, the Mossad wouldn't need to infiltrate so many of its identifiable Israeli intelligence and military personnel to engage in aggressive espionage and bribery (and almost certainly blackmail) within the American defense, political and media establishments. You certainly don't find American spies enjoying anything like the free reign Israeli agents have, within the Israelis' own military-industrial complex, nor do you find American companies being given access to Israel's deepest military secrets (and stealing highly classified technologies), or being allowed to electronically monitor the communications of Israeli citizens.

You think Israeli intelligence pays two-bit outfits like Rita Katz's S.I.T.E. and IntelCenter to give it the scoop about what's going on? Why on earth would the mammoth U.S. intelligence agencies need to spend good money to subcontract a housewife and some other guy with ties to a foreign country for data that is demonstrably fabricated?

Moreover, you never, ever see anything in Israeli elections like the spectacle of America's aspiring candidates (and incumbents) groveling at the feet of Israel during election season, and clambering over each other to declare undying, eternal allegiance to the United States. On the contrary, Israeli politicians often boast about their power over the US and speak about America's leaders and people in quite contemptuous terms. Certainly the U.S. doesn't get to decide who can run for Israeli office, the way Israeli opponents are weeded out by Israel's agents in the U.S.

Neither do you see Israeli politicians willing to sacrifice Israeli interests to give America what it wants, the way American politicians gladly cut domestic programs and spending while increasing US taxpayers' gifts to Israel. Israel doesn't allow its citizens to make tax-free donations to build settlements and make investments in the U.S., as far as I know. American organized crime figures and other crooks who get away with stealing millions or even billions from Israel aren't routinely given "refuge" in the U.S. the way so many Israeli mafiosi have.

Even as America's own economy tanks, the Israeli economy is booming on the proceeds of billions of dollars in free gifts and its military-industrial complex is using stolen American technologies to encroach on the U.S.' own markets.

Why is it so hard to admit what could not possibly be more obvious? What would Israel have to do for you to abandon this bizarre, entirely baseless fantasy that the US' relationship with Israel is mutually beneficial?
AlicetheKurious

Next

Return to General Discussion