Airport Security? More Like TSA GONE WILD

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Airport Security? More Like TSA GONE WILD

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 am

:thumbsup
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Cordelia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I was bothered when the Kimmel studio audience cheered & applauded at the end of the video that showed the passenger being dragged so I didn't watch all 5 minutes. (I admit I'm a hypocrite about what I think is & isn't funny and also I have no idea how I'd have reacted had I been the passenger being ousted or a passenger watching).

United must be relieved that the doctor has a criminal record & nefarious past; their own PR spinners were probably quick to dig it up. But it doesn't matter who/what he is; if not a risk to the plane & passenger's safety, nobody should be brutalized like that and then humiliated w/images of their bloodied self broadcasted around the world. Even if he's an exhibitionist and loves the attention, it was a shocking action brought about by an incomprehensible commercial greed mindset. United's stock reportedly took a dive yesterday but is back up today. I can't even pretend that I understand the world anymore.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:26 pm

so I didn't watch all 5 minutes

then you didn't understand what they were applauding and cheering about...the last minute of the video

and it is a comedy show not a news program ..some people do laugh at absurdity (not the person) when watching a comedy show
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby 82_28 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I once was on a flight from Seattle to Vegas and had some stopover or transfer in SF but the next leg was overbooked. So they told us to rush down to some other airline's gate. They told us because we had ordered our tix from Priceline there was no recourse. They eventually let us on. Then, once the trip was over I emailed them saying I wanted my money back. Priceline relented and refunded it all even though it says NO REFUNDS. This was back in the early 2000s. My brother is a captain and he wears his uniform coming and going everywhere even though he flies standby. I asked him a couple of weeks ago when he came out why he puts his "Halloween costume" on even though he is not flying it. He said he gets to go to the front of the line.

I totally understand United's concerns insofar as getting the crew to where it had to go but this obviously is over the top. They could have just handed him some money and a voucher or directed him to the other gate that might have had some empty seats. But it sounds like a not super busy route given the cities. But what do I know? Like Mr. Rex's friend said on FB, congrats, United, an $800 flight just cost you 8 Million.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Karmamatterz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:50 pm wrote:Iam,

I'll second you on what your posted with the exception of running to the government for help. Screw that, the government sucks and could care less and they are not here to be our benefactors.

Hit United with wallets and purses. They will learn their lesson, as will the other airlines when people boycott their business. A mass movement to simply stop flying United would be a powerful statement.

I doubt much will happen though. People will go back to their lives and this too shall pass. If enough elderly grandmothers got pulled off of planes in such a manner we might then see more people outraged. If someone were selling t-shirts that said Don't Fly United I would buy one and wear when flying. I travel enough for work that it would make it worthwhile. I quit flying United years ago, they can kiss my ass.

I doubt we view this similarly, Karma. I believe we are still a country ruled by laws. A great many of our punishments for violating certain laws incur financial liability as a form of recompense for damages a criminal act caused another party to suffer.

To outlaw similar incidents of abuse in future a law is necessary. Without any law in place prohibiting such behavior, those committing such violence cannot be held financially liable for any damages they cause, so they cannot be sued by their victims. That's why a federal law is necessary. I seek no protection for myself, but for those like you, who do fly more often than I.

But you're right, in one sense. Make them pay!

btw, our US Constitution guarantees citizens only one right, the right to seek redress in a court of law if they believe any of their so called constitutionally guaranteed rights (as outlined in our bill of rights and through consequential constitutional amendments) have been violated by another party, and to have their case presented before a judge in a court of law and be judged by a jury of their peers.

In a Capitalist society, the preservation of wealth is paramount.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 am

David Dao dragged off United flight files court papers

BBC, 5 hours ago, From the section US & Canada

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39586391

This story gets more and more bizarre. David Dao is still in hospital. What the hell did they do to him? And how on earth did he manage to get back on the plane? (!) How was he finally removed? Where's the rest of the film? (His lawyers have filed to have all the evidence preserved.) How badly traumatised were the other passengers?

United Airlines said it would refund the ticket costs of all passengers on Sunday's flight.

Will they be required to sign a confidentiality agreement before collecting the dough? If so, will that also require them to delete their cellphone footage?

Dr Dao was pulled off Sunday evening's flight because it was fully booked, and the airline wanted to get four passengers to leave to make room for staff members.

At least the BBC have now stopped saying that the plane was overbooked.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Blue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:08 am

Cordelia » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am wrote:I was bothered when the Kimmel studio audience cheered & applauded at the end of the video that showed the passenger being dragged so I didn't watch all 5 minutes. (I admit I'm a hypocrite about what I think is & isn't funny and also I have no idea how I'd have reacted had I been the passenger being ousted or a passenger watching).

United must be relieved that the doctor has a criminal record & nefarious past; their own PR spinners were probably quick to dig it up. But it doesn't matter who/what he is; if not a risk to the plane & passenger's safety, nobody should be brutalized like that and then humiliated w/images of their bloodied self broadcasted around the world. Even if he's an exhibitionist and loves the attention, it was a shocking action brought about by an incomprehensible commercial greed mindset. United's stock reportedly took a dive yesterday but is back up today. I can't even pretend that I understand the world anymore.

Wow, do I agree with that. I know Kimmel is comedy and I've never watched that show before altho I remember his sexist schtick from other places BUT I would expect the audience to gasp or boo or yell "Jackboots!" not laugh like it was entertainment. Damn.
Blue

Postby Blue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 am

quote="MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 am

This story gets more and more bizarre. David Dao is still in hospital. What the hell did they do to him? And how on earth did he manage to get back on the plane? (!) How was he finally removed? Where's the rest of the film? (His lawyers have filed to have all the evidence preserved.) How badly traumatised were the other passengers?

I read somewhere that they tazed him. That's why he was screaming and then went limp.

Dr Dao was pulled off Sunday evening's flight because it was fully booked, and the airline wanted to get four passengers to leave to make room for staff members.

At least the BBC have now stopped saying that the plane was overbooked.

Yes, all the news reports say over booked, as if that would make a difference anyway! I really dread flying again. Maybe next time it will be to finally leave this hellhole. Anyone here live in South America?
Blue

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am

sometimes a sense of humor is not a criminal offense and satire is a good... essential thing in this world

United Airlines passenger dragged off flight suffered concussion, broken nose
John Bacon , USA TODAY Published 10:06 a.m. ET April 13, 2017 | Updated 0 minutes ago

Video of a man being dragged out of his seat on a United Airlines flight has sparked social media uproar. The airline insisted the flight was over-booked and that it had no choice but to contact authorities when the man refused to leave. (April 10) AP

A daughter of the Kentucky physician at the center of a global uproar over his forced removal from a United Airlines flight said Thursday the family was "horrified, shocked and sickened" by the incident.

"What happened to my dad should never have happened to any human being, regardless of the circumstances," Crystal Pepper said at a news conference in Chicago.

David Dao, 69, remains hospitalized with a concussion, broken nose, damaged sinuses, and other injuries that included the loss of two teeth after he was pulled from his seat and dragged off a flight Sunday, lawyer Thomas Demetrio said. He said Dao "probably" will file a lawsuit. A hearing on preserving evidence from the scene is set for Monday in Chicago.

Social media outrage rained down on the Chicago-based airline after videos emerged of Sunday night's violent confrontation on United Express Flight 3411 at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, drawing hundreds of millions of views around the world.

Demetrio called the video "rather disturbing."

"I think the whole culture has to change," Demetrio said.

United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said all 70 seats on the Louisville-bound flight were filled when four passengers were told they had to give up their seats to accommodate crew members needed in Louisville the next day. The passengers were selected based on a combination of criteria spelled out in United’s contract of carriage, including frequent-flier status, fare type, check-in time and connecting flight implications, among others, according to United.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 100409492/

United passenger suffered broken nose, concussion - live updates

Last Updated Apr 13, 2017 11:46 AM EDT

Scant lawsuit details
11:44 - Dao’s legal team has two years to file a lawsuit, Demetrio says, but promises the audience the process won’t take that long. He doesn’t specify a time, and adds that it will be in state court.

11:42 - United Airlines has not reached out to Dao’s legal team, Demetrio says. “I have no quarrel with that.”

“I’m not looking for a telephone conversation with Mr. Munoz,” he says, adding that he would rather Munoz “change the culture” at the company. “His public apology to the family we accept, with gratitute.”

11:36 - There probably won’t be a class-action suit, Demetrio tells the audience. “Class-action lawsuits are a different breed and I don’t believe this will be” one, he says. Nonetheless, he references what he calls airlines’ habitual bad treatment of customers.

“I hope he becomes a poster child,” he says. “Someone ought to.”

“Staged” apology
11:33 - Demetrio is not impressed with United CEO Oscar Munoz’s apology. “I thought it was staged,” he says, in response to an audience question.

Suspect refunds?
11:31 - Demetrio implied that United’s move to refund passenger fares is suspect.

“One wonders why they would do that,” he says. “But it’s not going to keep these people quiet about what they observed.” He added that the legal team had heard from other passengers on the flight who witnessed the incident and who, according to him, were disturbed by it.

Who’s responsible?
11:25 - “There is a culture of rudeness on airlines,” Demetrio says, adding that Sunday’s incident “went beyond rudeness.”

“Rudeness and bullying of customers has gone the next step now to injury.”

11:23 - “Just because United is responsible, doesn’t mean the City of Chicago isn’t responsible,” Demetrio says, appearing to foreshadow a lawsuit.

“Stormtroopers”
11:19 - Demetrio calls the the officers who dragged the doctor off the flight “stormtroopers.”

According to Demetrio, Dao, who left Vietnam in 1975, was more traumatized by his experience being dragged off the flight than fleeing his country. “He said that being dragged down the aisle was more horrifying and harrowing than what he experienced in leaving Vietnam,” Demetrio says, relaying a conversation with his client.

11:16 - Dao was discharged from the hospital late Wednesday night, Demetrio says. He said Dao had “a serious broken nose, injury to the sinuses” and lost two front teeth, as well as suffering a “serious concussion.”

“He’s shaken,” Demetrio adds.

11:15 - Demetrio downplays the role of race in the incident. “I think what happened to Dr. Dao could have happened to anyone” he says. He referenced an email whose sender called Dao “a modern-day Asian Rosa Parks.” He disagreed with that characterization, though.

11:14 - Dao’s daughter, Crystal Dao gives a brief statement. “What happened to my dad should never happen to any human being, regardless of circumstance,” she says, and thanks the audience for their support.

“Treated like cattle”
11:12 - Demetrio wraps up. “We’re going to be vocal about the whole subject of what we, as a society, say passengers are entitled to,” he says. “Are we going to continue to be treated like cattle?”

11:09 - “Will there be a lawsuit? Probably,” Demetrio says. He notes there is a court hearing scheduled for Monday.

Demetrio: “Airlines have bullied us”
11:06 - “For a long time, airlines, United in particular, have bullied us,” Demetrio said. “They have treated us less than maybe we deserve. I’ve concluded that based upon hundreds of tales of woe, of mistreatment, by United, is that, here’s what we want as a society. We want fairness in how people treat us; we want respect and we want dignity.”

11:03 - Thomas Demetrio opens the conference. Crystal Dao, one of Dao’s five children, will speak later, he says.

Lawyers for the Kentucky doctor who was dragged off an overbooked United Airlines flight are speaking out publicly for the first time, a day after filing court papers that likely presage a lawsuit.

Thomas Demetrio and Stephen Golan, aviation lawyers who are representing David Dao, are set to hold a press conference at Chicago’s Union League Club at 10 a.m. local time. Crystal Dao, one of Dao’s five children, is also set to speak.

On Wednesday, Dao’s lawyers filed an emergency request with an Illinois state court to require United to preserve video recordings and other evidence related to the April 9 incident, in which Dao was forcefully dragged away from his seat on the overbooked flight to make room for crew members. The flight, which was supposed to depart from Chicago’s O’Hare Airport, had been bound for Louisville, Kentucky.

Citing the risk of “serious prejudice” to Dao, the filing asks that the airline and the City of Chicago, which runs the airport, to preserve surveillance videos, cockpit voice recordings, passenger and crew lists, and other materials related to United Flight 3411.

The filing with the Cook County Circuit Court likely presages an eventual lawsuit against United, and possibly the City of Chicago, for the incident.

170411-facebook-united-passenger-bloody-face.jpg
In a video posted online, a United Airlines passenger is shown with a bloody face after he was forced off an overbooked flight on Sun., April 9, 2017, by officers at Chicago O’Hare airport.
Dao’s ordeal reached a global audience this week when a video of him being dragged off the flight went viral.

United CEO Oscar Munoz on Wednesday said the company would no longer use law enforcement officers to remove passengers from overbooked flights.

The officer who dragged Dao away, and two other security officers, have since been placed on leave ; the aviation department said the officer’s actions “are obviously not condoned.”

The backlash from the incident resonated globally, with social media users in the United States, China and Vietnam calling for boycotts of the No. 3 U.S. carrier by passenger traffic and an end to the practice of overbooking flights.

Delta Air Lines (DAL) CEO Ed Bastian told Reuters that overbooking was “a valid business practice” and did not require additional oversight by the government.

“It’s not a question, in my opinion, as to whether you overbook,” Bastian said during a Wednesday earnings call. “It’s how you manage an overbook situation.”

Footage from the incident shows Dao, bloodied and disheveled, returning to the cabin and repeating: “Just kill me. Kill me,” and “I have to go home.”
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-airl ... ht-speaks/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

He's still in the hospital while awaiting reconstructive surgery.

Hello Blue. The reason he went limp was because they yanked him by his legs to loosen his grip and like a pendulum, his nose smashed into the armrest, breaking and bloodying it and knocked him unconscious. Then the dragged him off the plane.

Not an $8 million loss, 82, but an $800 million blunder.
Iamwhomiam

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 pm

None of this makes any sense at all. If three beefy cops knocked this man unconscious and then dragged him off the plane (which is what the cellphones videos show), then how on earth did he manage to escape their clutches and get back on the plane? He's not the Incredible Hulk. He's a 69-year-old Vietnamese.doctor of medicine, and he was already badly injured.

David Dao, 69, remains hospitalized with a concussion, broken nose, damaged sinuses, and other injuries that included the loss of two teeth after he was pulled from his seat and dragged off a flight Sunday.

Or did he suffer some of those injuries while being thrown off for the second time? There must be surveillance video of the whole incident from beginning to end, both on and off the plane.

Also, the BBC is now saying that the four vacated spaces were taken, not by UA staff, but by employees of "a partner airline". I wonder who they were, really.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Has anyone here ever been actually on a plane where peaceful passengers were asked/told/bribed to vacate seats they had booked and paid for and checked through security to sit down on? I haven't, ever. And I've never heard of such a thing happening to anyone anywhere. (Finding out at check-in that the plan's been overbooked - that's something else entirely.)

It's not common practice even in the US, is it? Is this case actually unique? I don't mean the violence, I mean the request to leave the plane.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby norton ash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:48 pm

I was on a Toronto-Vancouver flight where they offered three passengers $300 and a night at a TO hotel if they got off ... my friend and I thought about taking the deal, but others jumped at it faster.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Right, thanks, norton. It's good to get that clarified.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion