BABEL (The Foreign-Language-Posts-Only Thread)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: BABEL (The Foreign-Language-Posts-Only Thread)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

You lazy bums, letting this thread go.

I read this and just had to translate it. It beautifully illustrates the meaning of another foreign word: CHUTZPAH.

From today's L'Orient le Jour:

An Israeli ex-officer accused of rape by a former Hezbollah prisoner demands damages and interest

OLJ/Agences | 23/01/2012

Israel: "Captain George" complains that he can no longer find work.

Last Sunday, a former Israeli officer accused of abusing and raping Mustafa Dirani, a Lebanese member of Hezbullah, during interrogations, claimed $1.4 million in damages plus interest from the state, according to the media.

According to Israel's privately-owned Channel 2, the officer nicknamed "Captain George", whose real name has not been made public, was discharged from the army some years ago, notably because of the methods he had used in interrogating Mustafa Dirani. Last Sunday, Israeli television aired some segments of a video filmed during Mustafa Dirani's interrogation, showing the Israeli interrogators ordering him to undress.

Mustafa Dirani, a leading member of Hezbollah, was kidnapped in southern Lebanon on May 21, 1994, for use as currency in exchange for information on the fate of the Israeli pilot Ron Arad, captured during an air raid on Lebanon in 1986. In January 2004, shortly before his release, he testified before a Tel Aviv tribunal and described the sexual and other physical abuse he had endured during interrogations.

His lawyer demanded reparations in the amount of $1.3 million, but no Israeli court ruled on the admissibility of his lawsuit. Mustafa Dirani had specifically singled out the man known as George, whom he described as a sadistic and brutal torturer, for sodomizing him with a police baton.

Recently questioned by Israel's Channel 2 with his face covered, "Captain George" denied having tortured Mustafa Dirani and insisted that he had always acted upon the orders of his superior officers. "My superior officers have abandoned me, I've been treated as a scapegoat, and since I'm no longer in the army, I haven't been able to find work," he stated, to justify his claim for damages and interest from the Israeli army and the Ministry of Defense.

:sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry: :sadcry:

Link
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Freitag » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Ich hab's noch nicht gelesen, aber ich habe die Absicht dazu:

(German) Mathias Bröckers - Fakten, Fälschungen und die unterdrückten Beweise des 9-11 (2003)

Es liegt jetzt in mein(er?em?) ebook reader. Mein deutsch ist schrecklich, aber trotzdem werde ich versuchen, es zu lesen.
Freitag

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Freitag wrote:Ich hab's noch nicht gelesen, aber ich habe die Absicht dazu:

(German) Mathias Bröckers - Fakten, Fälschungen und die unterdrückten Beweise des 9-11 (2003)

Es liegt jetzt in mein(er?em?) ebook reader. Mein deutsch ist schrecklich, aber trotzdem werde ich versuchen, es zu lesen.

Schrecklich kann man das kaum nennen. Nicht schlecht.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Freitag » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:05 pm

JackRiddler wrote:Schrecklich kann man das kaum nennen. Nicht schlecht.

Danke! Jeden Tag arbeite ich ein bisschen, um mein deutsch zu verbessern. Ich habe vor, deutschland bald zu besuchen.
Freitag

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 am

02.06.2012 / Feuilleton

Berliner Prostitution

Von Wiglaf Droste

http://www.jungewelt.de/2012/06-02/049.php

Klaus Wowereit ist weder arm noch sexy, aber wenn es nach ihm geht, soll Berlin es sein. »Arm aber sexy« ist die Marketingformulierung für Prostitution, und Käuflichkeit ist das einzige, was dem Regierenden Bürgermeister Berlins einfällt, wenn es um Geldbeschaffung geht. Die Stadt wird zum Strich gemacht, und die Freier heißen Freier, weil sie die freie Auswahl haben an Plätzen, Prachtstraßen und ganzen Quartieren. Zwar handelt es sich um öffentlichen Raum, der also allen gehört, doch Wowereits Senat behandelt ihn als Pfründe, vertickt die Stadt häppchenweise und gewährt der Kundschaft auch noch das Hausrecht.

Wenn Wowereit die Eröffnung eines Großflughafens um zehn Monate verschieben muß, trägt er keinerlei Verantwortung dafür. Er ist schließlich nur Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender der Flughafengesellschaft, woher sollte er also etwas gewußt haben oder wissen? Die Stadt Berlin kommt für anderthalb Milliarden Euro Mehrkosten auf, verkündet Wowereit generös. Das ist beruhigend zu wissen; man möchte schließlich eine Ahnung davon haben, wofür man Steuern zahlt.

Daß BMW und Guggenheim ganze Stadtviertel zugeschoben bekommen, um in »Denklaboren« eine »Zukunft der Stadt« zu entwerfen, die dann ohne die jetzigen Bewohner stattfinden wird, ist Politik im Stile Wowereits: Der Zuhälter gibt sich gern hemdsärmlig, wenn er seine Ware feilhält. Und wenn er dann großzügig »Bitte bedienen Sie sich« sagt, dann ist der Berliner Provinzpolitiker Wowereit endlich angekommen in der großen, weiten Welt.

http://www.jungewelt.de/2012/06-02/049.php
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm

For LolaB, JackR, vanlosekid, Freitag, Spiro C. Thiery, and anyone else who has the deutsch:

Recommended: Das dritte Jahrtausend, A podcast series on current affairs, approximately twice monthly, with the great Mathias Bröckers, the excellent Dirk Pohlmann and the very good young Robert Fleischer, who moderates and usually takes a back seat to the two older guys but makes a lot of interesting points himself. All three of them are fluent in Spanish, btw, which I'm not, so I'm particularly grateful for their informed commentaries on Latin America.

The latest edition is less than half the usual length, a rather hurriedly-arranged special following the US assassination of Soleimani (and NINE others) in Baghdad.

https://www.exomagazin.tv/category/sendungen/

You can choose to listen to the audio versions alone and won't miss much except the wrinkly old mugs of MB and DP. But the podcast does nearly always include several film clips & photos & short TV news items (often from Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, etc.) which are sometimes astonishing and always worth watching, not least because the trio provide context & background and comment informedly on the images you're seeing.

PS The first ten minutes or so are always taken up with thanks to subscribers and contributors, so fast-forward to skip that.

--------------------

On Edit: All of the podcast videos are also available, with synopses (in German), at Bröckers' website, here:

https://www.broeckers.com/videos/
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Previous

Return to General Discussion