Is The Trump Thing Serious?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Is The Trump Thing Serious?

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:16 am

Trump is #2 under Romney with mainline Republicans, and #1 with Tea Partiers. Romney, Huckabee, Gingrich all seem like goofy hasbeen windbags with zero charisma no matter where you're standing.

But how will the 2012 narrative play out? While it seemed clear by 2007 that Brand Obama(tm) was to be the chosen (s)election, 2012 seems more unsure than ever.

To counteract Obama, the right needs someone larger than life. Since there's no actor in a position, Trump may be the closest thing. Ron Paul is not someone whom they would want, even if he might not be the most social justice/civil rights minded person.

New interview/video piece on Trump:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 6#42469716

Trump seems like he's right out of a movie, the brash say what the angry populace wants to hear, raw raw "restore America" bravado(I agree tho, about needing to take care of schools and cities at home instead of overseas)

Yet, as we've seen in virtually every disaster/end of the world movie...it's always a black guy as president.

What's your guys take on Trump, his chances, and what his scenario could be? Will Trump be it?
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is The Trump Thing Serious?

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 am

So, wait... not Sarah Palin?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby NeonLX » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:So, wait... not Sarah Palin?

Veep?
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 23 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:40 am

http://blogs.forbes.com/brendancoffey/2 ... ald-trump/
Howard Dean Supporters Readying to Back Donald Trump

(excerpted)

The California-based political action committee best known for sending Howard Dean to victory in the 2004 cycle Democratic primaries – and more recently has worked in support of Barack Obama and the repeal of California’s gay marriage ban – is readying to come out in support of potential 2012 Republican candidate, real estate mogul and reality TV star Donald Trump.

Eugene Hedlund, head of TruthandHope.org and political consulting firm D Media has registered the domains YoureHired2012.com and TrumpForAmerica.com as part of a plan to possible gear up and throw support behind Trump, worth $2.7 billion in the Forbes World Billionaires ranking, released today.

“I am really attracted to the personal story – even though it is at a different level – having built something, lost it and the personal life story of rebuilding it even stronger. Having weaned himself off of credit, I think that is a powerful story,” Hedlund told me by phone last evening. Trump famously suffered in the late 1980s real estate bust, with some properties entering bankruptcy protection. He rebuilt his fortune by, among other deals, buying Manhattan’s 40 Wall Street building for $1 million. Later as real estate rebounded, the deal was a steal, with the building alone estimated to be worth at least $200 million.

Hedlund’s group is, at first blush, an unusual backer of a potential Republican party nominee. It’s best known for its ad campaign that won Howard Dean the Vermont primary in the 2004 cycle despite the fact Dean had dropped out of the race well ahead of the Green Mountain State’s election. With Dean’s blessing it then shifted support to work on behalf of Senator John Kerry’s bid to win the presidency and in the last election cycle, it threw its weight in support of then-Senator Obama. More recently the group has campaigned for the repeal of the California state gay marriage ban.

Hedlund, who says he has never met Trump or has dealings with anyone in his organization, says Trump’s appeal also comes from “The fiscal conservatism mixed with [being] socially more moderate is in line with the majority of the country. Talking about trade issues, the way he does with such fluency is something we don’t hear talked about so much. He is getting to the core of real problems which may not be sexy to talk about.”

Not everyone believes Trump is at all serious about running, as Frederick E. Allen wrote recently in Forbes. Flirting with a presidential run may very well be about blowing the horn for the Trump brand for business. After all, a great deal his business now relies on foreign partners for funding as well as development abroad. Any glint of presidential possibility would further boost his image abroad.

However, Ben Smith at Politico has been following Trump closely and notes that Trump has both sent his attorney to Iowa to gauge interest (in a possible violation of financing rules, he writes). The Trump organization also has registered the domain Trump2012.com. Trump for his part, continues to hint at a run, telling NY1 there will be a “June surprise.”

When asked why he would shift support the PAC’s support from President Obama to Trump, Hedlund, who referred to the President at times as “Barack” said “I have no negative feelings for him. [With Trump] it just feels like right person right time.”

Hedlund’s day job is CEO of DMedia, Inc. a political media and PR company.
"Once you label me, you negate me." — Soren Kierkegaard

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 am

NeonLX wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:So, wait... not Sarah Palin?

Veep?

Ah, like Gerald Ford, Bush I, LBJ...
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 am

Well, it does seem he would be impervious to what Jeff "famously" coined "the Bill Hicks moment".

Bill Hicks famously said that he had "this feeling" that whoever's elected president,

no matter what promises you make on the campaign trail - blah, blah, blah - when you win, you go into this smoky room with the twelve industrialist, capitalist scumfucks that got you in there, and this little screen comes down... and it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before, which looks suspiciously off the grassy knoll.... And then the screen comes up, the lights come on, and they say to the new president, 'Any questions?'

http://rigint.blogspot.com/2006/06/that ... oment.html

I don't know what a Trump run at a presidency would portend. He was on Letterman some months ago and was very passionate about making America "respected" again.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 23 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 am

82_28 wrote:I don't know what a Trump run at a presidency would portend. He was on Letterman some months ago and was very passionate about making America "respected" again.

If germophobia is a fear-driven mindset, then he may end up becoming a fear-driven President. Elected by a fear-driven electorate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket ... hake-hands
Germophobe Donald Trump says he will shake hands

For the man who once wrote that "one of the curses of American society is the simple act of shaking hands," running for president poses a unique problem.

But real estate mogul Donald Trump-- an admitted germophobe who once distributed bottles of Purell hand sanitizer to reporters--appeared to casually suggest Thursday that he's going to grin and bear the germ-heavy custom of candidate hand-shaking if he does decide to seek the 2012 presidential nomination.

"I will meet many, many people--maybe all of the people" in Iowa, Trump told the Des Moines Register. "If I decide to run, I will be shaking hands with everybody."

Trump did not specifically address hands belonging to teachers, whom Trump once said he will never touch because they have "17,000 germs per square inch on their desk[s]."
Last edited by 23 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Once you label me, you negate me." — Soren Kierkegaard

Postby stefano » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:Ah, like Gerald Ford, Bush I, LBJ...
:shock: If they do that they'll rather do it the other way around, with the American Mother being killed by a dastardly Arab and a plain-talking man stepping in to do what needs to be done. More mythical resonance, I think.

As for Trump being 'socially moderate', here he is on the Jewish Question Muslim Problem, abortion and gay marriage.
stefano

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 am

It does not seem that the powers that be are finished with Obama yet. Think about his story arc as we were predicting it to play out from 2004 to 2016. The message we were sent with his presidency is not yet completed; and we've predicted it accurately thus far.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby yathrib » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

As cynical as I am, i still can't believe it. A reality TV star is about to become president, possibly with another reality TV star as veep. He is spreading a thoroughly discredited slander about the sitting president, and the media doesn't have the nerve and/or will to call him on it because he's rich and loud. Idiocracy is NOW, folks.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst that justice prevail.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
yathrib

Postby 82_28 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 am

yathrib wrote:As cynical as I am, i still can't believe it. A reality TV star is about to become president, possibly with another reality TV star as veep. He is spreading a thoroughly discredited slander about the sitting president, and the media doesn't have the nerve and/or will to call him on it because he's rich and loud. Idiocracy is NOW, folks.

Haha. That very thought literally just coursed through my brain right before I clicked on the thread. This really is it.

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby norton ash » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah, me too, thinking of Idiocracy is pretty much a given on this one.

And here I thought I was disgusted and embarrassed by the Canadian election.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Searcher08 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 am

Trump is what Americans crave.
It's got electrolytes
Searcher08

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:It does not seem that the powers that be are finished with Obama yet. Think about his story arc as we were predicting it to play out from 2004 to 2016. The message we were sent with his presidency is not yet completed; and we've predicted it accurately thus far.

Oh I agree. I remember whispers of a "some day he will be presidential material" after his 2004 DNC speech. To me, it just puzzled me why so many people were saying "not yet, maybe in 2012" when faced in 2006, 2007 and even 2008 with the idea of Obama winning. You really have to look at the cultural zeitgeist in 2008 and really today: blogs, tweets, facebook, smart phones, etc. Obama was custom made for this generation, but also made to be the ineffectual leader ala Carter. It would take...a major disaster unfolding to make him stand tall. As for now he's the favorite whipping boy of the right, even tho he is doing everything they loved Bush for.

But yes, the ptb are certainly not done with his storyline yet, and the 2012 Presidential cycle itself could be a show...its not clear yet if Obama is meant simply to boost a Republican into power next year...or, if they are saving something special for him.

I also suspect one of these days they'll also wrap up the bin Laden saga as well, perhaps even producing the real man himself.

Obama, Osama...a coincidence? There's been no other two polar opposite/polarizing figures used within a decade media cycle before. Osama is the devil! Obama is the lightbringer! Only Obama get get Osama.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 pm

We're definitely not living on the same planet, none of these contenders are serious, Obama obviously gets a 2nd term, everything happening right now is a replay of 1995 right down to Gingrich calling the shots and "shutting down" DC.
Wombaticus Rex

Next

Return to General Discussion