Non-Time and Hauntology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Non-Time and Hauntology

Postby dada » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 am

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed the tour. Tell your friends. Be sure to stop at the gift shop on your way out.

Soon the old mansion will get lost in the threads. But those who have visited it don't ever get lost, they simply vanish. In a moire distortion veil, leaving lots of cherry blossom petals in their wake.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Applause.

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:45 am

Though as much :starz: and :praybow as :yay and :twisted:

Sincerely, ( :lovehearts: )

:partyhat :eeyaa :angelwings:
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby dada » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:15 pm

My posts on the last few pages of this thread have become a piece on Andy Wilson's The Traveller in the Evening site:

https://www.travellerintheevening.com/strategy-guide-for-ghosts/

Andy added the images.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

spectacular

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Let it not be said R.I. is not good for something.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby dada » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:11 am

Good for something, but what?

Just as a place where coherent thoughts can be found from time to time, makes this message board something rare and worth having around. I think that to the extent that this board resists the total social mediafication of thought, is the extent that it is useful.

I still wonder how much of a ripple effect this board has, and has had over the years. The Rigorous Intuitionization of thought. But it must be left an open question. How can you quantify hidden societal influence?

We should standardize the system. From now on, hidden societal influence will always be measured in ParaKeet Units, or PKUs.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Thought about changing "resists the total social mediafication of thought" to "escapes the total social mediafication of thought." Decided that it comes to the same thing, now. Like when the Borg say 'resistance is futile,' it's the same as saying 'there is no escape.'
dada

Postby dada » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:36 pm

If you read the fruhmenschen news feeds, like I do, or have spent any time in the back pages of this message board, then you know how the world can be a dark place. Any post that doesn't reflect on it has a 'whistling past the graveyard' feel.

To some, the whistler past the graveyard may seem oblivious. A mildly superstitious person would say whistling past a graveyard brings bad luck. A very superstitious person will say that the whistling attracts the attention of the spirits of the dead, who will cause mischief for the whistler, or worse.

To others, the foolish whistler is clearly whistling on purpose. A kind of pied piper character.
dada

Postby Blue » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 pm

dada » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:36 am wrote:If you read the fruhmenschen news feeds, like I do, or have spent any time in the back pages of this message board, then you know how the world can be a dark place. Any post that doesn't reflect on it has a 'whistling past the graveyard' feel.

RI can also be a dark place and maybe, just maybe...some posts that don't reflect on that darkness are not pretending to be pretending.
Blue

Postby dada » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 am

It can be, and some posts that don't may be, it's true. Mine always are.

Sometimes whistling past the graveyard isn't enough. Probably why gabriel blows a horn. Personally, I'm partial to bagpipes.

There's a question here, I think. Is not reflecting on the darkness the same as reflecting on the light. Is the absence of one automatically the other.

There can be a dim light shining in the darkness, say the whistler is holding a lantern. Or bright, natural light, sunlight, which is the light of a star. Moonlight is starlight too. Sunlight reflected off the moon. And there are lights even brighter than that.

With the light of intelligence, a magnifying glass can be fashioned, concentrating a beam of light. The two lights of intelligence and the beam work together, we'd say it is light upon light. Light upon light is useful for burning the darker darknesses, the kinds that are more than just the absence of light.
dada

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:40 pm

§ê¢rꆧ

Postby dada » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 am

"She gives him writing materials.

He loses them in the underworld, or the world, in other words, and sends his faithful friend to find them. However, his faithful friend doesn't follow the instructions he was given before leaving, fights with the shades down there, and becomes a permanent resident."

Talking about Gilgamesh on the Roko's Basilisk thread. He doesn't just abandon his friend, Enkidu, gil tries to bring him back. But no one can change his destiny. The best they can do is allow Enkidu's ghost to come to Gilgamesh, so at least they can talk. Enkidu tells him all about the sorry state of the underworld.

The medieval Slavonic 'Appeal of Adam to Lazarus in Hell,' "begins with the righteous dead of the Old Testament learning of the birth of Christ. They decide to send Lazarus as an emissary to petition for their release. Adam composes this plea, consisting of a list of major figures from the Old Testament and their good deeds. A longer version briefly recounts the resurrection of Lazarus. The work anticipates Christ’s descent into Hell and is particularly close to the Gospel of Nicodemus."

I see a kind of parallel here, Lazarus coming from the underworld with Adam's petition. Also notice the poet Attar's 'Jomjoma-nama,' "being an illustrative story about Jesus’s reanimation of the skull of a heathen king who then tells him of the horrors of the tomb and hell’s punishments"

Communication with the dead, anticipating the harrowing. Some old ghost stories for the hauntologist's consideration and study.

"'The Sea of Tiberias' recounts the primeval history from creation until the death of Adam, with a final notice about the life of Christ. The titular sea is the primordial ocean before the creation of the world. The most noteworthy aspect of this text is the description of a duck, identified as Satan, floating over the watery chaos."

Another medieval slavonic work. No reason, just love the duck.
dada

Postby dada » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:31 pm

In the Enochiic tradition, the petition from the underworld is communicated to Enoch by the lower order of fallen angels. Leaving aside the discussion of what particular laws they transgressed to end up in this uncomfortable predicament, the scenario is similar to Enkidu's. They descended, got lost down there one way or another, and became stuck.

"the angels choose to ask the patriarch about interceding with God. This request for intercession before God appears to allude to the unique role of the seventh antediluvian hero [patriarch, seventh antediluvian hero mean Enoch] reflected already in the earliest Enochic booklets where he is depicted as the envoy bringing petitions of intercession to God on behalf of this rebellious angelic group. John Reeves suggests that the petition pressed upon the exalted patriarch by the imprisoned angels in 2 Enoch 7 is reminiscent of the language found in the Book of the Watchers (1 Enoch 13:4) where the Watchers ask the patriarch to write for them a prayer of intercession. From 1 Enoch 13:6-7 we learn that this prayer was prepared by the seventh antediluvian hero and later was delivered by him in a vision to the Creator."

Is the Creator moved by the petition? Even if so, can the destiny of angels be changed? I don't know, something to think about. In another sense, these angels have failed a test. Enoch is another test, and this time they pass. The devil submits, is 'converted to islam.' Maybe the lord of spirits isn't moved by the penitence of the angels, but by Enoch's capacity for mercy.

Anyway, that's the lower order of fallen angels. To the higher order, Enoch says, “I have seen your brothers and their deeds and their torments and their great prayers; and I have prayed for them. But the Lord has sentenced them under the earth until heaven and earth are ended forever.”

And then he says to them, “Why are you waiting for your brothers? And why don’t you perform the liturgy before the face of the Lord? Start up your liturgy, and perform the liturgy before the face of the Lord, so that you do not enrage your Lord God to the limit.”

And they responded to his recommendations, and they stood in four regiments in this heaven. And then 4 trumpets trumpeted in unison with a great sound, and the Grigori burst into singing in unison. And their voice rose in front of the face of the Lord, piteously and touchingly.
dada

Postby kelley » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:15 am

An interesting premise at work in this piece— when elite consensus collapses, creative innovation falters at the bleeding edges of culture. Fashion died circa 2010? This seems an accurate synopsis and one not seen elsewhere. IMO, normcore and / or vaporcore are the last legit expressions of sartorial style, but aren’t named as such here:

http://akinokure.blogspot.com/2021/03/f ... tural.html

Comments worth a look, too.

This second piece is likewise articulate in ways not encountered elsewhere. The disparate threads the author draws together is impressive, and the thesis is very convincing:

https://medium.com/s/story/are-we-post- ... 9ff6023cb8

Both of these pieces focus on particular forms, but seem to implicate the influences larger post-media forces have had in shaping the current moment. I've found them to be among the most astute 'hauntological' works since Mark Fisher introduced his initial critique of capitalist realism.
kelley

Postby dada » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 am

"when elite consensus collapses, creative innovation falters at the bleeding edges of culture."

I like it, I'm just thinking that something else must first collapse for this particular dynamic to lock in. Creative innovation draws on an open future of many possibilities. When the open future of possible timelines collapses into a history of elite-nonelite certainty, there can be no creative innovation, culture must unfold along the certain track.

Free associating here from something I was thinking about on the vaccine-autism thread. The crusader locks in the narrative they are against, in effect collapsing the future possibilities into the narrative, which becomes the only way the future can play out. This is why the crusader against tyranny becomes the tyrant. The crusader locks in the narrative of tyranny, therefore has no other possible timelines to choose from, "cannot escape destiny."

It's the question of precognition, really. Seeing the future is seeing many possible timelines, not one timeline. Seeing all possible futures produces the wisdom which the computer learns in the movie War Games, "the only winning move is not to play."
dada

Postby dada » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Trying to come up with a better way of putting across the idea of elite/non-elite narratives. Like stories, histories that presuppose the pyramid-shaped class structure. The pyramid is not part of the story, it's history doesn't unfold within the narrative, but is built into the foundation of it. Taken for granted as part of the scenery, is what the scenery is made of in fact. The unanlyzable background in front of which the story takes place, which must remain unanalyzable for the story to retain its semblance of coherence.
dada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion