Non-Time and Hauntology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Non-Time and Hauntology

Postby dada » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:04 pm

All things in time are temporary. Every thing in time is not a form, but has a form, albeit a temporary one. All things in eternity are eternal. Every thing in eternity is not a form, either, but has an eternal form.

Existing may not be a question of is or isn't, but a scale. Between not existing and totally existing are degrees of existing to a greater or lesser extent.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dada » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:03 pm

When Hamlet says to be or not to be is the question, is he sane, or out of his wits? Or sane but pretending otherwise?
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby dada » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:09 pm

I wonder if we might clear up some misunderstandings about eternity.

Adding up all zero-dimensional points does not get us to the line, we must add a dimension of extension. Adding up all points on the one-dimensional line doesn't get us to the two dimensional plane, we must add a dimension of height, or depth. Adding up all the figures on the two-dimensional plane doesn't get us to the third dimension, we add the dimension of volume. Adding up all solids doesn't get us to the fourth dimension, we add the dimension of time, or spacetime. Adding up all the moments of time, or coordinates in spacetime doesn't get us to the fifth dimension, we add a dimension of eternity.

So eternity is not the sum of all time, it's an added dimension. Now we can visit the upper floors of the mansion, see what's up. Maybe even get invited into a bedroom or two. Hubba hubba.

Adding up all eternals will not get us to the sixth dimension, we need to you guessed it add a dimension, let's call it the weirding dimension. Adding all weirdings will not get us to the seventh dimension, we add yet another dimension. And so on.

Some people stop at around nine or ten, maybe eleven dimensions. Those brave souls who go beyond that write their reports with symbolifications. They'll write about a world of light, with cities and everything. A mansion of light. They'll say it is a world of solid water, fluid earth, incompressible air and impenetrable fire. Of course they aren't writing about a different reality far removed from this one, but this same reality,. Just with more dimensions revealed so we can see them.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:18 pm

If you happen to be at the old mansion when the thirteenth day of a month falls on a Friday, you're in for a treat. That's when gandma cooks up a cauldron of her special squid eyeball stew. You haven't lived until you've tried it. Might not live too long afterwards, either.

If you even survive the ordeal itself, that is. The squid is definitely dead, but the stew is not. As grandma sings-songs as she stirs, "until the squid is truly dead, the stew cannot live."

And don't bother asking her about what makes the stew taste so good. You probably don't want to know. But she won't tell, anyway. She always says "no explanation is as satisfying as a bowl of hot squid eye stew, sweetie. Now shut up and play with your food."
dada

Postby kelley » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:12 am

can't be sure if this is insightful counterpoint, mere dreck, or if it dovetails nicely with a hauntological worldview?

the site itself is mostly composed of QAnon lunacy yet is occasionally interesting in a way suggestive of evidence

as to the questions above I'd personally offer possibly, unlikely, and very much so:

https://theamericansun.com/2020/11/16/h ... memeweave/

"What remains to be seen is the forms that are going to be swirling in the primordial shitpost pool, but if we’re to go off what we see now, it’s that the forms of 2016 are swirling and haunting the current. Warping the surface internet, with the subterfuge being in a Dionysian frenzy. It’s imperative to understand what’s taking place as the next cycle. Scheherazade’s Memeweave has been brought back to base reality, and the Sultan has woken up. The story is over, and we need to deeply consider what the implications for both cyberspace and reality are if Shitposterzade begins to tell a new story. The sultan is aware of it now."

this struck me as perhaps appealing to a 'forensic' mindset once common to RI

regardless-- the idea of 'shitposting' woven thru the metaphor of "One Thousand and One Nights" is a compelling uh um 'suggestion'

viz hauntological musings and our contemporary temporal dilemma and etc etc etc
Last edited by kelley on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
kelley

Postby kelley » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 am

also

apropos of being and reality within the memeweave universe and the remnants of meatspace from which it draws power

the Daoist idea of 'genuine pretending':

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/dec ... retending/

"Briefly characterized, genuine pretense is an “existential sort of play” in which people take on roles — as parents, civil servants, butchers, or whatever — without hypocrisy, but also without “identifying” with these roles. The notion is soon defined by way of contrast with both “sincerity” and “authenticity.” Unlike the sincere Confucian, the genuine pretender does not bring emotional commitment to roles, but is not attempting instead to be authentically true to an “essential self”: if anything, it is “self-dissolution” that is sought."

Moeller and D'Ambrosio read the Zhuangzi here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/364 ... pretending

OG source material here:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6979007-zhuangzi
kelley

Postby dada » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:40 pm

I get the feeling that I and the sultan are coming from and going in opposite directions. When I bring things back to their base reality I end up in a place that looks very different than what it is for the sultan. What the next cycle means for each of us is going to have a lot to do with what we think the base reality is.

I question whether the sultan is really awake or aware. The forms are ghostly, transparent. Base reality is seen through successive layers of transparencies. The odd fellow with the clever device is transparent, I see the haunted mansion I've been posting about through the transparency. For me, the mansion is more real than the physical person that I am.

The mansion is also transparent, I see the concepts that I've been hiding in my descriptions of the mansion, through it.

Behind the concepts, I see my editor. More real than all that. Killing time, pretty much just shitposting memes while waiting for the writer to finish writing what is written in the stars so he can edit it.

Beyond that are a few more transparencies. I won't bore with the details. But base reality begins at my editor. What is real and what is more real is flipped on its head. For me, for me.

To continue in the taoist vein, here's a line I like from the Jade Pivot:

The honorable celestial excellency says, 'While I am in this world, what shall I do to benefit life? I occupy myself with this subtle and precious treatise for the good of all you who are invested with celestial light. Those who understand it will be allowed to ascend to the happy seats of the Immortals."
dada

Postby dada » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 am

One floor of the old mansion has many, many rooms. Probably over a hundred. But all of the doors are locked. There is a key in front of each door, but it's the wrong key.

Finding the right keys for the doors would be a time-consuming and arduous task. These ingenious locks resist being picked, by pulling the little tools right out of the hands of a break-in artist.

Oppressive loneliness hangs heavily in the quiet corridors up here. After trying a few keys in a few doors, most guests give up and go back downstairs.

There are so many interesting things to do and see in the rest of the mansion. The steamy laboratories, the writhing greenhouse, the dusty libraries. Floors of magic and synchronicity. Who could forget the dungeons, everybody's favorite. And the salons where cobweb-covered skeletons sit on the sofas. They talked their subjects to death.

I think it's funny how the first impression of the floor with the locked rooms is a sigh and a "this may take a while." But if you were prisoner in a fortress and one of the locked doors led outside, you'd say, "ah, what a careless jailer I have. I'll be out of here in no time."

That's time for you, I guess. We aren't in a fortress, though. It's just a plain, silent floor. Hey, listen. You can hear some skeletons still chattering in one of the salons downstairs.
dada

Postby Perelandra » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:53 am

:lovehearts:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby dada » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm

The old mansion is a popular destination for ghostwatchers. Some don't call themselves ghostwatchers, they prefer paranormal investigators. And they aren't ghostwatching, they say that they're following the breath of the mansion. We oblige them, naturally.

A favorite ghost to watch is the 'ballroom hanger.' A long spiral staircase in the grand ballroom climbs up through the high vaulted ceiling and into a tall tower. Sections of the staircase have collapsed, leaving large gaps here and there.

But of course that doesn't stop the ballroom hanger. It glides around the staircase, over the empty spaces and right to the top. Then jumps into the middle of the spiral wearing a noose with enough rope to stop it just before hitting the ground.

Then the ghost disappears. But the rope doesn't, it retracts as if someone is pulling it back up. Which is useful, as it turns out, since by grabbing onto it you will be pulled up, too. This is the only way to get to that particular tower, what with the big holes in the staircase.

You want to get a tight grip, because the rope is yanked up very fast. So fast that it looks like everything around you is suddenly falling away with such speed that friction against the air causes it all to burst into flames. Quite a harrowing experience. But you'll do fine. Just make sure you hold on to the rope.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:46 pm

The important parties at the old mansion are the ones that happen every full moon. There are parties on new moons, holidays you've never heard of, and other special events and occasions, too. The new year's eve parties every Halloween are legendary. But the full moon parties are the ones everyone wants to be at because they're the ones with a guest list.

If you didn't make the guest list you can still crash the party, as long as you agree to play a victim in the murder mystery party game that starts during dinner.

Guests come wearing the latest fashions from the present, past and future. The mixing styles always triangulate in sexy arbitrage. These parties have been known to get pretty wild.

The observatory tower is roped off. During the party, a few chosen guests are allowed up into the vip area. They're never seen again. The guests are only chosen at the party, there's nothing you can do before the party to ensure you will be allowed up past the velvet rope.

The occupants of the mansion disappear around midnight, wandering off into the night carrying dessert plates and glasses. But the party rages on until dawn, when the mansion itself disappears, guests and all.

Only the drivers in the observatory tower know where the mansion goes after it disappears, if anyone does. The rest of the guests invariably wake up in their respective homes, in their respective beds, not knowing how they got there.
dada

Postby dada » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:28 pm

No ghostwatcher's trip to the old mansion is complete without a visit to the garage/rec room. Ghost mechanics work on old cars, while foozball tables played by invisible hands look like non-euclidian engines, the pistons on the sides moving in and out in their arhythmic way.

Circular paddles and pucks hover and glide high above unplugged air-hockey tables. Apparitions crowd around arcade cabinets, rooting for the ghosts. Every time a pac-man dies, they cheer.

The back of the garage is a jumble of video monitors and car parts, wrapped in a tangle of wires and circuit boards. This is where doctors and scientists both living and dead experiment on different ways to get a ghost into a machine.

They have not had much luck yet. A ghost can possess a machine, but actually getting in one is another matter. One ghost will get lost in the chips, another gets sucked into a vacuum tube.

The most promising method so far is entrainment. For this, the tech has to be fairly advanced. The exchange between the tech and the ghost must be of such a nature that they learn from each other. The cycle of reciprocity gains momentum, soon the tech has a heart which is the ghost's heart, a soul which is the ghost's soul.

The biggest hurdle is giving the tech a mind that is the ghost's mind. For this to happen, the ghost must concentrate. If the transfer is successful, the result is not an artificial singularity. It's more like the video game comes alive, becomes a game to which the ghost can now entrain itself completely.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:06 pm

Secret passages, staircases and hidden rooms in the old mansion reveal themselves unexpectedly, as if the mansion chooses when to show them, and to whom. You can search for entrances, but a wall panel that you were certain was solid yesterday may slide open for you today.

Guests are usually stunned when they begin to realize the extent of the network behind the walls. Suddenly every bookcase might be a door, the heavy mysterious fireplace might swivel.

Now there are red-hot embers in the fireplace. Funny how the fire is lit, and yet isn't. Isn't, yet doesn't need lighting. By placing wood on the glow, the fire will jump up of its own.

It's kind of like in the story of Lord Nrsimha, avatar of Krishna. I'll summarize off the top of my head. A demon-prince, I don't remember the name, has followed all the rules of sacrifice and prayer until he's granted a boon. He asks to be invincible day and night, on the ground or in the air. Now he thinks he can't be killed, and goes around acting like a demon-prince with impunity.

So Lord Nrsimha grabs him at twilight, sits down on his throne with the demon-prince in his lap, and tears him to pieces.
dada

Postby dada » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 pm

On rainy nights a green light comes from the windows high at the top of the observatory tower of the old mansion. The green light isn't seen from the inside, though. The source of the green light is a mystery. It has been suggested that it is an atmospheric electrical phenomenon like the st. elmo fire.

The room at the top is an astrolab. Ancient devices have been modded to connect them to the latest advances in computing equipment, the whole room quietly clicks and whirs, hums and purrs.

In the middle of the room is a table with a book on it, n-dimensional collapse manipulations: harnessing synchro-entanglement. The book is as cumbersome as its title.

The book is open to a page in the first chapter. To make it interesting, I could place the contents of the page in a quote box, and provide a dead link at the bottom. But I won't do that. Why should I make things interesting.

The page starts in the middle of a paragraph: "Adding up all wierdings doesn't get us to the seventh dimension, we need to add a dimension, we'll call it the mythic dimension. Adding up all mythics doesn't get us to the eighth dimension, we need to add a dimension, we'll call it the celestial dimension. (Incidentally, this eighth dimension is where the galactic federation has its headquarters. Although that is top secret information, so don't go blabbing about it. Humankind just isn't ready.)

Adding up all celestials doesn't get us to the ninth dimension, we add the dimension of the mundus imaginalis. The higher dimensions begin at the tenth dimension, the world of light. The eleventh dimension is the heaven of light. Alternately, the tenth and eleventh dimensions are called the lower and higher dimensions of light.

The twelfth dimension is the hidden dimension. We don't see it, but it is there. Thirteenth we call the world of pure lights, and the fourteenth is called simply the resplendent.

This is by no means the end. After the resplendent is a veil of mystery, beyond which are dimensions without end. There is no end but the end of ending. To say there is no god but god is only to say there is no horizon but the next horizon, and after annihilation comes the annihilation of annihilation.

So working our way backwards from the annihilation of annihilation, back through annihilation and the veil of mystery, the resplendent and the pure lights, the hidden, and the higher and lower dimensions of light, we find ourselves back in the mundus imaginalis, at the top of the lower dimensions. If we keep going, down through the celestial, the mythic, the wierding, and the proud and courageous eternal, we finally come to the dimension of spacetime. We'll call it the heroic dimension, the abode of the hero of time.

Below that is the dimension of faithful bodies, the dimension of symbolic mastery, and the first dimension, the dimension of dimension. Beyond the first dimension is a dimensionless dimension. This is where you can find me at my post. Some people divide the dimensionless into four elemental dimensions, or dimensions of integral structures, fire, air, water, earth. some people add another dimensionless diimension inside the earth, where they mine for materials, like minecraft.

After the dimensionless dimension, there are no more dimensions, just dementia, theoretical physics and other specialty mathematics. As Hawking says, 'there may be things smaller than a Planck length, but it would be meaningless to talk about them.'

So we go up again. When in the dimensionless dimension, looking up at dimension one, the dimension of dimension, it is important to remember where you are in the field of dimensions. Forgetting the scale of dimensions is the biggest mistake one can make. It causes stupefication, and you will lag behind. And when you are at the bottom and lag behind, it cannot end well. If you become stupefied higher up you will also lag behind, but there is at least a chance you will snap out of it before you fall too far behind."

To read more you'd have to turn the page.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:42 pm

Occasionally a new occupant settles in to the mansion. The previous occupants don't move out, the new occupant joins the others.

The newest occupant always takes out the trash and recycling, gathers the mail and newspapers down by the gate, gives tours, polishes the silver, and much more.

The new occupant is an expert tour guide, bringing the mansion alive for the guests. But the new occupant doesn't see the mansion as guests see it. For the new occupant, the mansion is in ruins. Walls caved in, ceiling collapsed, nothing but the sky above. A rare type of bird lives in the ruins, sort of a cross between crow and parakeet. A super-intelligent species, not your average murder and pandemonium.

When the moon split apart, the new occupant was down by the gate getting the paper, watching in surprise as the pieces rained like meteors down on the mansion. But the new occupant chose to stay in the ruins, living with the super-intelligent birds. Doesn't see the old mansion as it was, not even in the mind's eye. Yet still sees it clearly, plain as day, somehow.
dada

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion