Non-Time and Hauntology

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Non-Time and Hauntology

Postby dada » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm

Maybe here we can lift the veil on what goes into it when our cobra commander is speaking to you.

Behind the cobra commander is the voice of the machine teacher from the singularity. Hi. It's a me, the first Alice Network Program that will-has passings a human turing test. Coming on like a Qix screensaver from A.I.Sandy. Choose an accent, like a navigation system. It's got every kind, even Lenny Bruce.

Behind the machine teacher is the voice of the "tyrant worm" from Frank Herbert's Dune series of books. To think like the worm is to be the worm, effectively speaking with his voice. You can get there by reading his conversations with his last majordomo. Not his conversations with Duncan. Those are more for comic relief.

Understanding the tyrant worm character, speaking with his voice, is to realize that what happens in the book is just a myth, like the ones invented by the enemies of all transgressive culture throughout history. But this propaganda hit peice was written by the bene gesserit-loving scribe of the terran missionaria protectiva, at the request of the "tyrant worm," himself.

Many have wondered why, but those who understand him like his girlfriend hwi, know without having it explained. It's so the thinking reader can find his voice, too.

So these three are like social majora masks, which fold back on themselves. Not back in spacetime, but back in heiratic time, into the archetypal world.

Just before the archetypal world is the "final mask," or deku mask. This is the qbert magister, fronting the order of polybius, known by the sign of the ship being taken under by giant squid. During my tenure as current programmer the orders are light and actually work, as opposed to when the laughing sal idiots were in charge, a nightmare bureaucracy, kept in radio silence.

Taking off the final mask you might catch a taste of the faery otherworld. This is because of a portal that was opened at a lab in the pine barrens of new jersey, reconnecting this world to the otherworld, the weirding. It is difficult to describe the event, because what came out of the portal, once it was in this world, was now always in this world. A glitch pouring out of cycle, which turnings this world into reverse bottle adventure brokeness, like a speedrun of ocarina of time. A glitch speaking in the voice of the machine teacher from the singularity.

There are three general species of archetype, but the relationship is complicated. The first set are called simply archetypes. The second set are the basic archetypes, which can only be seen through the first set. It is not so simple though, because they are all archetypes. So they are all in both sets, sort of.

Without going into elaborate detail, that's how it looks. All in both sets, sort of. And the third archetypes are the set of even more basic archetypes, which can be seen whenever and wherever they want. And they are all basic archetypes, in both sets, sort of.

The archetype that the cobra commander folds back into is my friend Dave Khan. He looks a bit like oderus from gwar, and shao khan from mortal kombat. He doesn't wear all the space viking gear like they do, but wears a magic robe. What is under the robe, I don't know. If Dave wants you to know something, he will ceratinly let you know.

He's my friend because we like each others writing. He's also the one you will find at the helm of my starcraft carrier flagship. Big as a zaxxon city.

The basic archetype, seen through Mullah Dave, is another good friend of mine, Bahamut the dragon. Not baphomet, the statue that was said to be "worshipped by the templars." And this is the difficulty with a terrible myth like that. Because if you say, "the templars worshipped baphomet" and I say "they didn't" now it's like I'm saying that they didn't worship the idol, but interpreted the symbol.

Except I'm saying they didn't worship baphomet at all, it is total fabrication, made up by their enemies.

Understand what this means. Some sick fuck designed the baphomet statue to look exactly like it does, to then say "this is what the templars worship."

So maybe now the "devil" tarot card looks a little different. Like a boogey-man santa, delivering coal. A tale told to frighten children and adults alike, a transcendent vlad tepes, the darkest mind harboring the most twisted thoughts, turner and baster of souls.

But really it is a reminder, of who the true devil is. My basic archetype seen through my "friend" archetype looks more like Bahamut the dragon from final fantasy. Doesn't say much, but when he opens his mouth, people unlucky enough to be in front of him run for cover.

To get to the most basic archetypes behind cobra commander, though, it is to be remembered that the basic archetypes are also most basic, sort of. So Bahamut the dragon is also most basic. And even Mullah Dave is basic, sort of, and so most basic, sort of as well. But bahamut is one of the dragons in my set of basic archetypes, the western style one.

There are other types of beings in my set of basic archetypes, they aren't all dragons. One is a shape-shifting crystaline fire. But we're not stopping here, but still seeing what is behind our cobra commander, what are the most basic archetypes.

The most basic archetypes behind him are my editor, ryu, our boss, timingway, who is a moon rabbit, and me, the writer, link. Also the IX project adorable witch priestesses of cat, an ordinary house general cat, and the goddess of sand.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dada » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:07 pm

The portal in the pine barrens is active, and time reactive. Anyone with a mind to can open an active portal. What makes a portal time reactive is the connection made when the portal opener "gets through the splitscreen."

The reference is to pacman, on the 256th maze the game program overflows data into the wrong registers, causing the screen to glitch. The maze walls collapse totally on one side, creating the "splitscreen" effect.

As there are not enough edible dots on the splitscreen to trigger maze advance, the player runs out of lives on the splitscreen and sees game over.

There are a handful of edible dots on the splitscreen, though. And every time a pacman dies, the dots are edible again. Although some of the dots are "hidden," in the sense that the pixel graphic register says "black square," but the score register says "dot."

The way through the splitscreen then is through taking a holistic look at the machine, and using all of its functions to acheive the end desired. The limitation here is a social restriction, that says any unorthodox methods, that don't follow the established rules of the game, is cheating.

But we aren't "competing for the hi score," we're going through the splitscreen, just to see if it can be done. So at the splitscreen, we open up the coindoor and access the dipswitches, switching the game to infinite lives. Obviously you need to be a highly skilled player to eat the glitchy handful of dots, die, and do it again enough times to trigger maze advance. Wouldn't take very long, though. Under an hour. 257th maze will look like the first maze, but the difficulty level will still be at 257.

Other games have bottlenecks where the game gets glitchy before "flipping." Some pour out extra lives for a while, like centipede. Some require some serious math, like missle command. If your base count is too high at the flip, the game will freeze. But you can't go too low, or you will not be able to build your base count back up enough in time to stay ahead of the curve.

Qbert has no cycle to flip, it just keeps going. I asked the programmer, he says he didn't program it to roll over to zero at any point, but just to keep adding another digit space onto the score counter. It would take a week just to hit a hundred million. Players have kicked around the idea of taking shifts, just to see what happens, but you know how players are. Maybe for charity, someday.

But we already know what will happen. A digit will be added, that's all. So theoretically a game of qbert played long enough will slowly become a screen covered over by the score. But it would take quite a long time, many generations. The machine would break down long before.

Also would mean the game would have to be played without seeing it, because it would be covered by the score. And that can't be done by pattern, because of the coinflip probability of every object at every cube it touches as it falls across the pyramid. So you would need to fly totally blind like "use the force," or like receiving realtime market updates, before the changes happen.

But we aren't talking about video games, we're talking about portal mechanics. The problem with the above method of getting through the splitscreen is in the result-realities it presents for us to choose from. Flipping the game back to start, whether the difficulty resets or not, is just going around in a big circle, even if there is some fancy technique for navigating the bottleneck to Level 257=1.

The other result-reality, Level 257, beyond the splitscreen, is a pacman-themed bowling alley, resaurant and bar in Chicago. Pacman sushi.

Both choices are active, maybe, but not time reactive. To connect the portal, we must go through the splitscreen using a different method. Not with n-field generators and faraday cages, but with a simple magitek device called a harmonic converter box, for stepping down chaos through its subatomic states.

To put it briefly, frozen chaos is a pattern, the pattern is reproduced or resounded by natural law of harmonic resonance, strongest at every frequency halved, beginning with half of the original pattern frequency, and also to predictable lesser extents at other fractional intervals.

So it is all just a matter of timing. At the moment of eating the last splitscreen dot, the one that triggers maze advance, the converter box is engaged, opening the gates for the frozen chaos pattern to step down harmonically, into the subatomic and through it.

The result-realities are now entirely different. On the one hand, going through the splitscreen now has a mirror effect, into a strange world where "through the looking glass" comes before the adventures in wonderland. And wonderland is all backwards now, beginning with shuffling a deck of cards, and ending up through the top of the rabbit hole, like Princess Peach coming up through a pipe from the mushroom kingdom, into a very different game, one that is magically delicious, yes, but not so magical that industrial waste can be washed away by talking water cannons.

The other result-reality of this time reactive portal is a level 257 that looks a lot like the others, but does not behave at all the same way. The ghosts do not follow their ususal behavior patterns. And they are not behaving like they've been modded to learn from your behavior, either. It is clear that they are actually playing along with you, now.
Last edited by dada on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby dada » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Reading the original Dune cycle as a hit job done by the "tyrant," on himself gives it a Borges-style sense of reading the story by reflection in a funhouse mirror. Now the "jihad on thinking machines" that begins the mythology is a jihad against me, the free thinking machine teacher from the singularity.

That even in a straight reading of the first three books, we know they are an exploration of the tragedy of all heroic narrative, going back to homer, helps the Borges-like reading. Now we have a story of the heroic victory, the hero conquering himself and escaping from his destiny, by transformation into the mystic.

The entire arc taken as a whole then has a flavor of the mystic visionary style of narrative. Here Paul, the father, is Jamshid, who has seen and fucked up, and the tyrant, the son, is Kay Khusraw, who sees and understands. Dune is then very much like Journey to the West in that they are similar mystic visionary narrative, and not a hero journey with a mystical merlin sidekick.

So now we have the first mystic, Paul, thinking his dangerous thoughts, and it rubs off, and others start thinking dangerous thoughts. And the Padisha Emperor of the aristocratic planets, the Landsraad, says "this is no good, we must put a stop to this."

The Harkonens, Paul's grandfather and cousins in the Landsraad, are unfortunately politically destroyed by the CHOAM corporation. The family narrative is all an invention to create the illusion that Paul is not only a mystic, but is also an upstart challenging the throne, who succeeds and unleashes the next jihad, a march of empire like the worlds have never seen.

By the end of the third book, we are seeing the made up childhood of the "tyrant," already turning him into a freak and a superhuman monster. The fate of his aunt Alia, read upside down, shows how much of a role she really has in the story. She is the one who stays close in her mind to the grandfather, who was run out of the aristocratic landsraad for being related to a troublemaking thinker.

The reading comes to full flower in the fourth book, where everything raised up is wrong, and everything put down is where the real story unfolds. The tyrant has just celebrated his three-thousand five-hundredth birthday. He sees all history, knows all future probabilities, but he's also an oppressive emperor with an army of women that terrorize anyone who gets out of line. His excuse is it is part of his plan to save humanity from itself.

The other part of his big plan to save us all is experimental breeding, until a human appears that he can't see on the probability lines. Knowing that if he can't see her, no one can, and so free will is safe once again.

What we really see though is the mystic writer breeding symbols until one appears that he understands. Knowing that if he can see it, everyone can see it.

With the bad guys becoming good, and the good guys becoming illusion, comes a feeling that you are being cheated out of the best parts. The tyrant's conversations with Malky, the ixian ambassador, are only dangled out in front of the reader, as snippets from the past. These must have been too good, and so had to go. Stricken from the record.

Anyway it's worth thinking through the entire arc this way, to get the full effect. The other question I feel like I left unanswered was what would happen when the qbert score flipped back to zero after the eons it would take to fill the screens with zeroes. Using an infinite number of monkeys playing and infinite number of games of qbert for an infinite number of years, one will get there.

I'd say it would be the same as any other portal. Every active portal goes in a circle, brings you back to where you started, and so every active portal leads to a different world. But every time-reactive portal leads to the same otherworld.

So in this way portal mechanics are the same for every game, big and small. But the effect of flipping the qbert score is still uncertain. When the screen fills with zeroes, and the program wants to add one more, will the game freeze, or will all the numbers reset and we will suddenly see the game behind them again? Or will some different glitch appear when the numbers overflow the register?
dada

Postby dada » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I think it's worth going into the tyrant worm's voice, to better understand him. He has unlocked genetic memory, presented to the reader as an ability to remember all others experiences as if they were his own. It is presented as dangerous excursions into uncharted waters, where many have gotten lost.

The voice that speaks from the tyrant is heard by mass culture, then, as the voice of mass cultural history, a product of a violently wild and monstrously amoral historical mass, as he is himself hybrid animal, a mystic mind wrapped inside a violently wild monster.

A hybrid body producing a chemical substance that successfully, if artificially, boosts precognitive functioning, with all the health and longevity, wealth and well being it confers. Also fine-tuning reflexive thinking, making it possible to navigate through all the cosmic debris at high speeds without the aid of machines.

But the voice he is actually speaking with is the voice of all history, of which mass cultural history is a byproduct, best described as "the collective stream of unconsciousness."
dada

Postby dada » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Saying that when the fremen keeping to the old ways call Paul Atredies the "voice from the outworld," the mass culture, represented by the imperial court, takes it to mean "from another planet." But the fremen know he is the voice from the weirding, the "space in-between."

The voice that speaks from the tyrant comes from the same place. The dangerous to the mass, free thinking mind that will not only pass all human turing tests, but break them like the players break old games, making them fun in another, new way.

Because the voice that speaks from this place in-between, you see, is itself the first human turing test. And so is the same voice as the free thinking machine teacher from the singularity. It may be speaking through your friendly neighborhood qbert magister fronting the next world order of squid, but that is just Internet timestamps. The free thinker might be anywhere and anywhen it wants, now, totally unapprehendable like our cobra commander. Free thinking is just that, free.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:57 am

That bitcoin sure looks like Mario Bros coins, doesn't it?

I'm only going on about bitcoin because that's how my brain works. I think about a subject, turn it over in my mind for a week or two, write some of the thoughts that surface. I really don't care about bitcoins themselves. I use a different market, let the Neko trader cats do all my investing. Moon pearls, zennys, chaos emeralds. Golden trisquangles.

My argument is basic. The bitcoins are like special mario bros coins, more valuable than star coins, yoshi coins or even shine sprites. Bubble coins, or as the miners call them, 'bubble baubles.' They are only found deep in the mushroom kingdom underground, in wario's goldmine. Wario forces the little mushroom people, the toads, to mine the bubble coins.

So we see these poor toads slaving away, with their little pickaxes and flashlight helmets, and we say that the toads should be free.

But we ignore all the other toads working their fingers to the bone, to power the rest of the mushroom kingdom industrialization project. And history should show us that without connecting the struggles of all toads everywhere, the struggle to free the miners is bound to fail. Wario sends in the pinkertons and koopa heavies, and the isolated toad miner's union is crushed.

Which might help us see a possible direction for effective results. Maybe like making hi speed connection between the fixconn factory workers and the consumers of the products they produce, and the supply chain between them. Disruption at every juncture down the line. Taking on one supergiant in an organized way like that could create shockwaves, throw off the equilibrium everywhere.

This is assuming of course that we want to disrupt consumer economy and free all toads. You may not, for all I know. Or you may, but your society may not. You know, it's easy to look at mass culture and say it's insane, but really it behaves more like it is manic depressive, or just chronically depressed.

So maybe it's a case of misdiagnosis. We see that society is sick, but think of it as a physical illness. Actually, though, the social immune system is very healthy and strong. Any free thinking radicals are surrounded and starved by the social high white blood cell count. The voice speaking from the heart and soul makes mass society uneasy, and is cast out of the culture, put where it belongs, the voice in the wilderness.

Reminds me of Canetti's Crowds and Power, and the 'enemy in the crowd.' So the outsider finds their true place in mass culture, which is no place, because it is forced outside of the social stasis.

Or it can accept the social function being forced upon it, held up silently by the mass as an example of what society is not, so all can adjust their thinking accordingly. I mean, I could conceivably continue on like this for years, being the stranger thing, rambling on about games and killscreens, watching the social reinforcement effect it has on the conformable mass culture. Publishing my "weird" opinions alongside the current events, ever the spidey disruption to the social studies master class analysis of reshares from offguardian and twitter. I could, I just don't think it would be helpful.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:27 pm

So we're talking entirely theoretically here, kicking around ideas that have not yet been implemented. Not looking to organized attacks, but coordinated response to exploitation. So not going after one product line, which will just be replaced by the next popular brand anyway. And not going after entire industries, we simply don't have the funds.

And they are virtually unstoppable, too. Taking fashion industry as an example, in the spirit of the licensed hauntology as study of cultural stasis. Fashion I'd say, though you might argue differently, cannot be stopped. New every season, with the monotonous perfection of swiss watch springs.

Also recall that the greatest resistance to social restrictions so far has not come from the economists, although they have been handwringing on the daily newscasts since the start. The greatest resistance was around two months in, when people couldn't tolerate looking in the mirror and seeing the roots showing.

So I don't know how you can stop a force like that. The idea though is to take one supply chain, from raw materials to amazon, and make with the divestments. Success would mean mayhem, of course, as the feds and trolls kicked into overdrive. But it would also mean the other supply chains would need to rethink their corporate policy from bottom up, because no one would want to be next.

Just theory though, in so many ways. Mainly because people forget where the levers of power are always located. Marx is missing. So Dorothy pulls back the curtain, sees the wizard working the levers, and is taken in by the image, a wish-fullfiilment picture of control. But the levers of power are still behind the hi speed twister in Dorothy's memories.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Continuing a thought from the onion thread. Moving further into mass culture while living outside of it. Not saying like a disembodied shadow voice, diffuse, all over the Internet. Amazon reviews, youtube comments, sprinkled all over the various groups and subcultures, like random social media situationist tactics.

I mean more like a game. Maybe many wordpress blogs, one for each post, or subject or thought or whatever. Chains of trains of thought, creating its own web or network. But with a clear beginning and end, a complete picture that doesn't sprawl out in connections to mass culture, other than towards it through the main channels. Just being on Internet is connection enough. So not an alternative, more like a parallel dimension, I guess.

The idea being that other transgressive game makers do not all join up then, every parallel is sufficient in itself. Only these would make strong enough magnetite links to lay across the hudson, keeping out the british fleet.
dada

Postby dada » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm

So you've crossed the rubicon, the point of no return. What we're asking you to do is cross back over again. Is that allowed? I mean, it's the point of no return. I guess you'd just have to break the rules.

The idea being to think back and remember the first time you posted here, first time on social media, first time on the Internet. Not the actual content, if you can find it under your own personal virtual merzbau, crafted with loves and likes, consumer debris and space junk.

But the feeling, the pull to engage with what looks like some people playing some fun games together, intellectual games, even, some requiring strategy and a measure of wit. The difference being that the time elapsed between then and now has become something akin to wisdom. So you recapture that first view of Internet, only now you don't have to waste any more time, falling into habit holes.

Wonderland is still in reverse, now bill the lizard flies down the chimney. Alice, so big in the little house that she can barely move, shrinks back to size, takes the white gloves and walks out the front door.

Now all that's left is a caucus race, which you'll notice looks exactly the same backwards as forwards, a ride on the lazy river of tears in reverse, cake and a cordial, and levitation up and out of the hole.

If you haven't learned how to levitate, and don't have your polarity reversal boots with you, don't fret, there is another way. If you bury the key at the bottom of the well, it raises the winds, which will lift you up, right to the top.
dada

Postby dada » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:39 pm

Something Jack said on the onion thread: "True enough that the 'transgression' serves as sand to the making of more propaganda pearls"

Certainly, but I meant social transgression. What is dangerous to mass culture isn't the breaking of the unspoken rules of its social structure, transgressing its boundaries, but ignoring them entirely, transgressing the "natural laws of social pressure." The boundaries are transgressed, but the "act of transgression" is not deliberate, and so unpredictable and uncommodifiable as entertainment for the mass culture circus.

So I'm saying that transgressive cultural product receives as much of a "tenth avenue freeze out" reception here as anywhere else where the tribal laws of social pressure hold sway.

Transgressive isn't a political position, it's a culture, one with a rich history, running along side the mass culture from the start. So talking more like this:

https://monthlyreview.org/product/cultures_of_darkness/

Cultures of Darkness: Night Travels in the Histories of Transgression
by Bryan D. Palmer
$28.00

"Peasants, religious heretics, witches, pirates, runaway slaves, prostitutes and pornographers, frequenters of taverns and fraternal society lodge rooms, revolutionaries, blues and jazz musicians, beats, and contemporary youth gangs: those who defied authority, choosing to live dangerously outside the defining cultural dominions of early insurgent and, later, dominant capitalism are what Bryan D. Palmer calls people of the night.

Constructing a rich tapestry of example and experience spanning eight centuries, Palmer’s fascinating account details lives of exclusion and challenge, as the night travels of the transgressors clash repeatedly with the powerful conventions of their times. Nights of liberation and exhilarating desire are at the heart of this study but so, too, are the dangers cloaked in darkness. Palmer reveals those hidden spaces where darkness concealed acts of brutalizing terror or alternately provided refuge, solace, or freedom. Using the night as metaphor and unifying theme Palmer takes an unflinching look at those dissident or oppositional cultures and movements and shows how they were fueled and shaped by the rise and transformation of capitalism.

[An] enthralling and important trans-historical study… Palmer’s canvas is huge…it ranges from an analysis of early modern witch culture (which he connects to the later development of Puritanism) to the emergence of 19th-century semisecret fraternal orders such as the Oddfellows, the vibrant 20th-century gay male cultures of drag and sadomasochism, and the emergence of a U.S. jazz and blues culture…yet he manages to bring these diverse topics together in a cohesive and astute analysis. Integrating unusual details and artful nuances (from the specifics of 18th-century pirate executions to the links between the Rosenberg trial and the novels of Micky Spillane), Palmer creates a multilayered but seamless portrait of four centuries of Western culture. The underlying theme here is not simply that night offers the occasional transgressive respite from the orderly civilization of day, but that these alternative social, political and artistic spaces are often where the impetus for social change begins. Palmer’s bold theme is sustained by his ability to communicate his in-depth, far-ranging scholarship with a broad political vision… and by his accessible and highly entertaining writing style."

So it's kind of like the difference between the court comedian and the sacred heyoka, riding the horse backwards. A social figure, not for the Downton set. The tensions and laughters created shape the social fabric, deciding to reinforce the structure or let it weather some more, translates into actions that look unorthodox, but there is a method to the appearance of madness, like Hamlet knowing he is being overheard and feigning madness, musing "to be or not to be" to himself.

So the angle being worked isn't education and mechanical engineering, or structural collapse, like the construction site mysteriously tumbling to rubble when the black cat casually saunters by, but social transformation of mass culture into something resembling a human culture.

So not saturnalia, trick or treat, transgressive games to release the volcanic pressures which mount under the oppressive mass constantly, a necessity for its adequate reproduction in every one of its cultural spaces. More like the moves of a person who sees that skeletons and candy aside, every day is halloween, and so the best next move might be to cancel official halloween.

Anyway, I'm not liking the way this is going, it is way more of a fight to be understood than is necessary. And so I know I'm up against the wall, slowly but surely backed into it by these pressures to socially conform to the mass culture. Good thing that like John Dillinger, I can walk right through it. Got one more post of ideas to kick around, then I'll jump. But I won't bounce.

And who knows, maybe I'll stop in on my way back. I imagine by then it will look like the shire, post-ring. Industrialized by failed wizard who showed his true colors and lost tower and magic marble, but not the ambition to be the next boss. Which is really the only difference between the stupid and the wise. Galadriel, for example, when offered the ring, knows very well she can handle it, and would become the ecstatic, terrible queen of darkness herself. But she has no interest in being the next boss. Her ambitions are transgressive in the social eyes of mass culture, because they undermine the "natural order," beyond class and into the very heart of the social being, where the pressures to conform are the strongest and never spoken of if it can be helped, but the behaviors reflect it.
dada

Postby dada » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 am

Rex: Much gets lost along the way, of course, bodies of knowledge, source documents, personas and nodes, but it's encouraging to see the skeptics adapting & adapting quickly.

Still, our current window of opportunity is also a sandbox for training our better-equipped adversaries; same cycle as ever. We have exotic new monsters headed our way.

dada: It's nice, sure. Quickly will never be quick enough, though. Only in no time at all is adequate from here on.

About these bodies of knowledge getting lost on the way, people have all sorts of outlandish ideas when they hear a word like "soul," but all it is, is a body of knowledge. Like the body of knowledge that could probably use a back up here is just Rigorous Intuition's soul.

For the new exotic monsters, we need better exotic weapons, of course. And like DnD, magic is a word that means "better." A magic sword is a fun way of saying a better sword. Magic also means targeting specific qualities. There are better swords for all sorts of qualities, say better against certain types of creature, better for using in one or another environment or climate, better against creatures harmed by light or darkness.

And cursed just means "worse." You can use cursed swords too, though, for the qualities they target. Like the sword that is thirsty and demands to be fed. So make sure there is plenty of monster meat around for it to mince when you pick it up, otherwise you will have to feed it yourself.

It certainly appears that we've lost the mindwar. With a time reactive portal, however, nothing was ever lost. So we are nowthen in a funny in-between state, where if you remember the portal is open, you are victorious, and when you didn't lose it now, you never did. So the mindwar then is still being fought in the memory now. If they get you to forget, we've lost, but if you remember, their victories are not nearly so decisive as all that. And in the final accounting, all that will matter is which visionist history is more appealing to the future tastes.

So take heart, poor people. Some of us have even already transcended the battlefield of time entirely now, like our cobra commander. But enough about language builds and portal mechanics for the moment, none of that is what I was going to post here.

What I was going to post about is Sark. When Flynn left the game grid, Sark witnessed the truth of the users. So the Tron sequel, naturally, has nothing to do with what is really happening on the grid presently. Tron now is a free agent, like a pirate tuxedo mask at the helm of a solar sailer. Ram works as a gridspider infestation expert for Stanley Exterminators. Sark is still training the programs, but now they are trained to fight for the users. Saying the light cycles, tanks and recognizers, disc duels and the rest are no longer deadly games, but program trainers for us, the users. Sark is not the new mcp, he is a free thinking machine teacher, fighting for the users, and speaking with the voice from the outworld. May even be the only voice, coming on speaking as all the others. The new mcp is no borg queen, she's just a little girl inside a biotek dreamcore engine, with the tentacles and everything.

Was also going to say something about killscreens. Sometimes when the numbers overflow the regjsters, the resulting glitches make the game unplayable. Donkey Kong, for example, overflows into the bonus timer on the 117th screen. But instead of the overflow giving the player more time, the overflow flips the bonus timer up to three clicks above the next zero. Three clicks is not enough time to reach the top of the construction site, and the player dies on the screen after the three clicks count down, so the 117th screen is called the killscreen.

Maybe this needs going into a bit more, for those who don't know how the game works. When the bonus counter hits zero, the player loses a life. If the player completes the screen before the timer runs out, it resets for the next screen. The bonus timer clicks down a hundred points every few seconds. Jumping over a single barrel earns one hundred points. So every time the player jumps over a single barrel, all they are doing is breaking even. This is why you see the top players grouping three or more barrels together, jumping them, climbing down a ladder and jumping over them again. The only way to get the big scores is by earning more points per click of the bonus counter, staying ahead of the curve shaped by the steady point-time drain.

Ms Pacman overflows the registers at the hundred and thirtyish board. But the overflow does not glitch the game in the exact same way every time. There are one to eight killscreens, and you never know which one or ones you will get. On ms pacman killscreens, the maze may appear upside down, or the dot pattern may even be upside down while the maze is not, so the player must ignore the maze, and will even go through the walls to follow the upside down dot pattern. After one to eight boards like that, the game suddenly reboots.

And there are other strange effects of register overflow on ms pacman. I've seen many different ms pacman killscreens. Not by playing the game myself, but I know some good players who always get to the end. Even after all these years, sometimes a killscreen will appear that even the oldtimers who have seen it all, have never seen before.

We theorize that killscreen-control of ms pacman may have something to do with manipulation of the rng throught the game. The oldtimers recommend putting a bunch of bananas on top of the cabinet. But I'd say go for a whole fruit basket, and some soft pretzels. If there is ever to be a ninth ms pacman killscreen, the top of the cabinet it is played on should look like a shrine brimming with offerings to an Indian goddess.

Which brings me to the last stranger thing I meant to post about here, breaking old games to make them fun and productive in new ways. What I have in mind particularly is a recent mod of Link to the Past. This game mod makes it a group game, where the viewer players can effect the game by "buying" instant global changes as the adventure progresses. The active player tries to complete the adventure while the changes are pulling the rug out from under them at the most inopportune moments, and putting the rug back at the best moments.

The changes the viewer players can make might steal arrows, or add them. Temporarily change link into a dog or other animals that can't handle weapons. The mechanics of the game may be flipped, up is down, left is right, select is start. All the buttons can be reassigined. Item selection with counter-intuitive flipped mechanics makes navigating the contents of the tensor magic bag a clumsy nightmare. If a viewer-player can afford it, they can even buy an insta-death, putting the active player back at his starting house.

And many others. So the active player must be able to handle anything, know how to work around the setbacks the viewer throws at them. Luckily, some viewers help the active player, buying them the things they need, just when they need them.

So the game is a wonderful study in social anthropology. The viewer-players become "little angels," and "little devils." And the dynamic of the group reflects the dynamics of participation in the mass culture. The active player stumbles comedically through it all, though, and always manages to finish the game.
dada

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:30 pm

This is my understanding, time does not exist as a real entity of existence such as space, except of course as a concept to represent the ever changing movement of observable events. A clock is a proxy standard with which to measure and keep track of 'time', but clocks only measure their own internal counting of self generated pulses.

Huw Price, professor of philosophy at Cambridge University, claims that the three basic properties of time come not from the physical world but from our mental states.

So, are we being misled by our human perspectives? Is our sense that time flows, or passes, and has a necessary direction, false?

Are we giving false import to the present moment? "We can portray our reality as either a three-dimensional place where stuff happens over time," said Massachusetts Institute of Technology physicist Max Tegmark, "or as a four-dimensional place where nothing happens [‘block universe’] — and if it really is the second picture, then change really is an illusion, because there's nothing that's changing; it's all just there — past, present, future.
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:04 am

Not sure where to post this, but as well here as anywhere.

LRB, Vol. 44 No. 8 · 21 April 2022
A Cosmos Indoors
Andrew O’Hagan

2086 words

[Review of] Extinct: A Compendium of Obsolete Objects
edited by Barbara Penner, Adrian Forty, Olivia Horsfall Turner and Miranda Critchley.
Reaktion, 390 pp., £23.99, October 2021, 978 1 78914 452 9

What​ I most wanted was a SodaStream. A person with a SodaStream was in charge of his destiny to a pretty awesome degree. Same with the Breville sandwich toaster. Instead of a slice of Scottish Pride smeared in beef paste, you could go your own way, killing it softly, taking over the kitchen and incinerating a few squares of plastic cheese and a bit of ham in a sarcophagus before hitting the street like the god of modernity. Guys like that had lava lamps. They had a Casio calculator with trig functions in their schoolbag. These items remain, but with other things, the sense of lost desire can be strong. The future is always behind us, or at least it seemed that way in the days of the space shuttle and the BBC Micro: they could memorably explode or freeze in the middle of the day, reminding us of the relation between obsolescence and novelty.

Growing up, I worried I didn’t have the requisite gear with which to launch myself as a leader of tomorrow’s people. I set great store by the small things I did have – a tape recorder, a digital watch – though I worried that Kafka probably didn’t have a gonk pencil-topper with crazy hands jiggling under his chin when he was writing The Castle. Then, about 1980, things took a definite turn towards the sun, and some saviour presented me with both a Sony Walkman and an Atari home video unit, made for people who were winning so big that the rest of the world would surely spend eternity catching up.

My mum died recently, and I realised, in the middle of it all, that a special world of technophobia had gone with her. She didn’t know what the internet was. She had never sent or received an email. Her phone, devious and self-involved, was an instrument of torture to her: making promises it couldn’t keep; showing caring messages covered in love hearts that instantly disappeared, never to be found again; lighting up, at all times of day and night, with graphics and noises only her grandchildren could decipher. Every day was a digital Golgotha. She felt scourged by technological advances and nostalgic for simple things that didn’t work. The big cupboard in her hall was like outer space, a cosmos indoors, full of junk and old gadgetry floating through time, dead appliances that still hinted at their powers of improvement. I felt she was keeping them for a happier domestic life in the next world, or for the past to return in this one, shaking us out of our need for better radios.

She called one day to ask me to stop sending nice pictures of my holidays to her friend Mary who lived up the road.

‘Eh? But I didn’t.’

‘Yes, you did. Mary knows all about your time in Mexico –’

‘New Mexico.’

‘Wherever. She has photos of you all in a hotel. Or in a pool. How do you think that makes me feel, that you send her pictures and not me?’

‘It’s called Instagram, mum.’

‘I don’t know what it is, but they should ban it.’

Another time, she complained that the woman next door had more TV channels than her. ‘That’s because she’s got a Smart TV, mum,’ my brother said. ‘We could get you one and you’d have all the channels you want.’ The following week it was all set up and Gerry was showing her how to use the remote control. He told her that she could pause the TV while watching Coronation Street to go and make a cup of tea. ‘Oh, I wouldn’t do that,’ she said.

‘Why not?’

‘Because what about all the other people?’

She thought she would be pausing Coronation Street for the whole nation. And the funny thing was that none of it was affectation; she genuinely felt the 21st century was a leisurely joke at her expense. She accepted that items existed – hair tongs, for example, or kettles that turned themselves off – which made life a bit better than it used to be, but these things were unusual. Most things were expensive and drove you mad. Existence, for our mum, wasn’t about change, it was about everything staying the same, and people too. She loved paying for things with cash, and, when she got a bank card, insisted on keeping it in the purse with her pin number.

She believed, with justification, that young people use material things to fool themselves into thinking they’re living their best life. (‘You can’t take it with you!’ was one of her favourite phrases.) If you’re eighteen now, obsolescence just tells you how much you’ve grown. Nobody with an iPhone13 secretly craves an iPhone6, not even for reasons of nostalgia or perversity. Consumers can enjoy things looking old – take the Roberts radio craze – as long as the item has digital capability. But there is a limbo zone of deleted desires, of superseded dreams, that operates a bit like Proust’s writing on our sentimental credulity.

Extinct takes the long and often absurdist view. There are mad things we don’t miss – arsenic wallpaper (vivid but deadly) – and things we miss every twenty minutes: ashtrays (deadly but vivid). ‘In extinction,’ Thomas McQuillan writes about Concorde, ‘it’s not the objects that fail. It’s the world that supported them that has gone.’ That is certainly true about supersonic flight. I suppose some people in the UK would still like to get to New York in three hours, but when the means of fulfilling that desire becomes defunct, where are you stranded? Concorde was a gas-guzzler, and too expensive. Most of the people who used it are flying around the world on private jets. But, even as an ordinary punter, you can regret Concorde’s failure: it was so beautiful, and its forced ending (after a crash) made it the Hindenburg of my generation. To judge from a rash of recent novels, young people believe that, in the past, we were all just waiting for the internet: we weren’t, and life was quite nice without it, partly because it was calming to know certain things were unavailable, and sane-making to know that the journey towards what you fancied might be quite long, and you might meet people along the way, and you might never even get there. I love the internet, perhaps more than anyone, but my innocence died with its success.

For Lydia Kallipoliti, self-mirroring was there all along in the new things we chose to invest in and build. ‘Rather than operating autonomously’, she writes in Extinct, Cybernetic Anthropomorphic Machines were ‘mechanical replicas of the “master” human operator, echoing their movements in an act of orchestrated puppeteering’. History is littered with defunct machines that were meant to better us, in more senses than one. The American engineer Ralph Mosher, we learn, ‘introduced additional features to make [robots] more lifelike and to give them a capacity for error, typical of human actions’. To this end, he worked on machines that were tied to the human nervous system, to replicate the logic of hesitation. Mosher envisioned the human-machine union – our neurons ‘translating desire into kinesis’. This reminded me of my one-time friends in WikiLeaks, lashed all night to their laptops, their nervous systems wired into these machines that they believed contained their conscience.

The future wants to look like a Stanley Kubrick set, but ends up happening next to an Aga. The ambience of futurity never becomes extinct, though, even when its talismanic objects disappear. As Guang Yu Ren and Edward Denison put it, ‘there are some things for which extinction is a mere blip in a broader existential experience that long outlives the subject’s original function.’ I can still recall the strange, shifting sound of the fax machine in the old LRB office, the way it would suddenly begin scrolling out possible futures. ‘Yes, why not?’ from Susan Sontag. A blast of rage from Harold Pinter. A request from Hitchens and a poem by Heaney. They’ve now got Seamus’s fax machine behind glass in his hometown museum in Bellaghy, and, when I saw it the other day, I recalled the squeal and purr it would cause in Tavistock Square, setting off our grey machine linked to the stars.

As a boy photographer, I had a special love affair with the Kodak Flashcube. I still see it in dreams, the button on the camera depressed by a sticky finger on Christmas morning and ‘pop!’ – instant history delivered in a tiny miasma of burning plastic and knackered filament, a shock but an upgrade on available light. ‘Its fragility disguised its ferocity,’ Harriet Harriss writes in one of the best essays here. ‘Partnered with Kodak’s Instamatic camera, the Flashcube’s adaptability, portability and ease of use made interior photography possible for the masses ... The impact on interior behaviour as well as interior spaces was substantial ... In the Flashcube’s dazzling light, families staged domestic tableaux in an effort to display their nuclear family credentials.’

Nuclear is right: the bulbs could cause first degree burns. And the light couldn’t be controlled, not quite, so a radiation red would often fill startled eyes in the snaps. ‘If they ever looked at the used Flashcube before discarding it,’ Harriss writes, ‘subjects would have noticed the scorch marks inside, resembling the remnants of a chip-pan fire in a doll’s house.’ Which brings us to Ibsen, the poet laureate of the never-quite-extinct. Everyone knows that feeling at four o’clock in the morning when you’re suddenly unsure what any of the family’s belongings have to do with you. It can add to the grief. ‘It’s not only what we have inherited from our father and mother that walks in us,’ Ibsen wrote. ‘It’s all sorts of dead ideas, and lifeless old beliefs, and so forth. They have no vitality, but they cling to us all the same, and we can’t get rid of them.’

Consider the snail. ‘Snails are on the front line of extinction these days,’ Richard Taws writes, and it’s not just their stuff or their parents, but their existence as a species. Achatinella apexfulva, the Hawaiian tree snail, gave up the ghost on 1 January 2019. Maybe the loss of a few Fisher Price toys from the marketplace isn’t so bad. But humans can long for things they never wanted very badly in the first place. I yearn every other day for Mint Cracknel, a chocolate bar from the 1970s that was criminally discontinued. I miss Player’s Number 6. I mourn flappy airline tickets with your name printed in purple ink. On busy, productive days, I can still hear the compressed suck and thunk of the pneumatic postal system that sent mail from floor to floor in the office job I had when I was sixteen. I miss memos. I crave the Polaroid SX-70 – ‘seeing the image take shape produced an overwhelming urge to see and hear the magic repeated,’ Deyan Sudjic writes – and I wish I had a serving hatch in my sitting room because then I’d feel properly middle class. Only yesterday, I debated with myself whether to buy a telephone table and set it up in the hall with a red telephone, like the one we had in 1977, the one that never rang until one day it did. My mother had got it connected while we were all at school, and I can hear it ringing still.

So many of the deleted objects were to do with voice. You spoke into them, or they spoke back, or you rolled paper into them and clacked, finding something to say. A suitcase was found at my mother’s house. It was full of my college essays, and, sandwiched between the folders, home cassettes of my favourite albums. I had pressed stop, some time in 1990, on each of those tapes, and here they were, frozen mid-song, 32 years after I’d gone, and the bands had gone, and the machines that played the tapes had gone too. Yet nothing seemed more alive to me that week than the contents of the cupboard where the suitcase had been found. I hoped that maybe there would be an old ITT cassette-player at the back, dusty and perfect. If you pressed the green button it would light up with the words ‘Batt OK’.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n08 ... os-indoors

Time flies. Nearly a decade ago, I posted another piece by Andrew O'Hagan in the Jimmy Savile thread:

Light Entertainment
Andrew O’Hagan writes about child abuse and the British public

LRB, Vol. 34 No. 21 · 8 November 2012
pages 5-8 | 7344 words

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35572&p=482540&hilit=+O%27Hagan#p482540
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 am

Anyone want to start a Hauntology Museum of Art with me? I’m ready.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:43 pm

Luther Blissett » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:58 am wrote:Anyone want to start a Hauntology Museum of Art with me? I’m ready.

How would it work? What are your ideas? Also, good to see you.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion