Wrestling & the power of deception in human affairs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Wrestling & the power of deception in human affairs

Postby brekin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 pm

At the point Kayfabe was forced to own up to the fact that professional wrestling contained no sport whatsoever, it did more than avoid being regulated and taxed into oblivion. Wrestling discovered the unthinkable: its audience did not seem to require even a thin veneer of realism. Professional wrestling had come full circle to its honest origins by at last moving the responsibility for deception off of the shoulders of the performers and into the willing minds of the audience.
Kayfabe, it appears, is a dish best served client-side.

Interestingly there was a moment in time when John Stossels (yeah I know) was trying to "expose" that professional wrestling really was all fake, when he was attacked by a professional wrestler when Stossel told him "I think it is all fake". The wrestler claimed later he was put up the WWF to attack Stossel, obviously to "prove" otherwise. I think this points to that even long ingrained, orchestrated deceptions occasionally need spikes of "realism" (even if that is pre-planned or staged to some degree also) to maintain some legitimacy or verisimilitude.

As Hannah Arendt said:
Power and violence are opposites; where the one rules absolutely, the other is absent. Violence appears where power is in jeopardy, but left to its own course it ends in power's disappearance.
I think many systems of power based on deception will lean on the deception part as long as that works, but will use violence when challenged. In fact, we may be entering a stage when power through violence is more accepted, welcomed and celebrated.

The pro-wrestling spectacle I grew up with was more thick on spectacle and ritualism than violence or dysfunction (racism, mysogony, sexual humiliation, etc), but it got incredibly more raunchier and crude to where two guys body slamming each other were the least of ones worries. In fact, while physical violence can by stylized and staged, many other acts like shaming, humiliating, degrading, etc. really can't, its just two people really giving their consent to be used that way and not "take it seriously". Professional wrestling seems to have become (and its been awhile since I've watched) more of a honor/shame based Fear Factor of emotional violence.

Now with MMA you have real, unstaged gladiator ultra violence, that regularly ends in serious injury and even occasionally death, but kids now buy action figures and posters of MMA fighters similar to professional wrestlers of the past. In the national sphere we have thrown out just war theory, have private and public torture, murders of heads of state televised, etc. So, I wonder if the "client side" of Kayfabe for most citizens is inverted now, choosing to believe that ones country is not violent, sadistic and predatory contrary to the evidence. Believing the crimes against humanity and violent policies are not "really representative of the way America is". Its like instead of watching WWF and suspending belief that it is mostly real, now its like watching MMA and willfully trying to believe it is staged.

Battery on John Stossel

Schultz had a notorious encounter on December 28, 1984 with 20/20 reporter John Stossel while Stossel was backstage at Madison Square Garden doing a story about professional wrestling's secrets.[10] During an interview Stossel told Schultz that he thought pro wrestling was fake and Schultz's response was to hit Stossel in the head twice, knocking him to the floor each time.[3] Before the first hit, Stossel said, "I think this is fake" to which Schultz said, "You think it's fake?" and hit him the first time on his right ear.[3] Before the second hit Schultz said, "What's that, is that fake? Huh? What the hell's wrong with you? That's an open hand slap. You think it's fake? I'll fake you."[3] After the second hit, to Stossel's left ear, Stossel attempted to exit the scene, but Schultz proceeded to go after him, saying, "Huh? What do you mean, fake? What the hell's the matter with you?" as a man in the background says "Easy, easy" to calm Schultz down.[3] The attack, which attracted a large amount of media coverage, was later aired on national television including ABC News which reported that the network had received more than 1,000 calls from viewers inquiring about Stossel's health.[10]

Marvin Kohn, a deputy commissioner at the New York State Athletic Commission, had been present at the arena during the incident and immediately suspended Schultz for his actions.[10] Although called by Commissioner Jose Torres to come to a hearing before the Commission, Kohn later reported that Schultz had written a letter to the commission admitting "that he had acted improperly and apologized both to the commission and to Mr. Stossel" and further stated "I admit the allegations ... I intend the commission to know that I did not intend to hurt John Stossel. I apologize to the commission and to John Stossel."[10]

Stossel stated that he suffered from pain and buzzing in his ears eight weeks after the assault.[10] Stossel later claimed he was unaware of Schultz's apology and would pursue his action in court although commented he would be "less likely to sue" if the after-effects of his injury disappeared.[10] Stossel eventually filed a lawsuit against the World Wrestling Federation, and settled out of court for $425,000.[11] In his book, Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity, Stossel writes that he has come to regret filing charges, having adopted the belief that lawsuits harm hundreds of innocent people.[11][12]

Although he has consistently maintained that World Wrestling Federation officials told him to hit Stossel, Schultz was fired. Many industry insiders believe that it was not because of his actions against Stossel, but rather because he challenged Mr. T to a fight backstage at a WWF show at Madison Square Garden.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sch ... restler%29
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:42 pm

I had this friend who loved this Nintendo game that was all about wrestling. He believed this shit was real. I just remember that WWF (as it was called back then) would air on Sundays with a televangelist on the first end of the time slot and then rasslin'. I couldn't put the two together. I began to realize that every damn thing is fake. It was in the years that my family took me to church and shit and I asked the question of whether my dog was going to heaven and it was the wrong question. No, no dogs will not be going to heaven said my pastor. It drove me nuts back then.

Everything you believe is fake. That is why you don't believe a thing.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Bumping this since it got lost on the bottom of the last page and I think it's so relevant to the state of mainstream news-media.

Repeating: major news networks like CNN and BBC are reporting KAYFABE WRESTLING ANGLES as stone-cold fact. If they apply this same amount of diligence and rigor to the actual news, then no wonder we are so well-informed as a society!

Agent Orange Cooper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm wrote:Perfect thread for this:

At the end of SummerSlam 2016, Brock Lesnar opened up Randy Orton the hard way (intentionally drew blood) and the match was ended due to TKO. Shane McMahon (one of the GMs) got in the ring to check on his guy and Lesnar assaulted him, giving him the dreaded F5. The night after, Stephanie McMahon (Shane's competing GM) said that there would be "severe repercussions" for Lesnar's actions.

It was later announced that she had fined him $500 (a month after he made somewhere close to $10 million for a single UFC fight, so this is lunch money for him). It was actually pretty funny, but it's a certainly a sad state of affairs in 2016 when one of our major news networks (CNN) is reporting KAYFABE WRESTLING ANGLES as actual fact. I mean, what?!?!

Agent Orange Cooper

Postby brekin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:25 pm wrote:Bumping this since it got lost on the bottom of the last page and I think it's so relevant to the state of mainstream news-media.

Repeating: major news networks like CNN and BBC are reporting KAYFABE WRESTLING ANGLES as stone-cold fact. If they apply this same amount of diligence and rigor to the actual news, then no wonder we are so well-informed as a society!

Agent Orange Cooper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm wrote:Perfect thread for this:

At the end of SummerSlam 2016, Brock Lesnar opened up Randy Orton the hard way (intentionally drew blood) and the match was ended due to TKO. Shane McMahon (one of the GMs) got in the ring to check on his guy and Lesnar assaulted him, giving him the dreaded F5. The night after, Stephanie McMahon (Shane's competing GM) said that there would be "severe repercussions" for Lesnar's actions.

It was later announced that she had fined him $500 (a month after he made somewhere close to $10 million for a single UFC fight, so this is lunch money for him). It was actually pretty funny, but it's a certainly a sad state of affairs in 2016 when one of our major news networks (CNN) is reporting KAYFABE WRESTLING ANGLES as actual fact. I mean, what?!?!

Relax, Users can always go back to previous pages to read it again or for the first time. Nothing "gets lost on the bottom of a page". But duplicate posts and thread bloat are forever.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:25 pm

and you just increased the bloat. congrats.
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby brekin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 pm wrote:and you just increased the bloat. congrats.

I thought you were more of a experiential learner, so I geared the lesson to your style.
brekin

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

brekin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:36 pm wrote:
Agent Orange Cooper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 pm wrote:and you just increased the bloat. congrats.

I thought you were more of a experiential learner, so I geared the lesson to your style.

:thumbsup Let's stop, bud. Thanks.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby brekin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm done. I'm good. I'm cool like that.

Last edited by Wombaticus Rex on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BECAUSE I CAN, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA but also because
brekin

Postby brekin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:22 pm

This is where it started.

What Donald Trump learned about politics from pro wrestling
Sometimes, the heel wins.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/postever ... 98a322b84c

In the 16 months between launching his campaign by calling Mexicans rapists and closing it with an ad that recalled the “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,” President-elect Donald Trump broke practically every rule of politics and rejected the norms of conventional wisdom at every turn. He insulted women, Gold Star families and war heroes. He mocked the disabled and traded barbs with the pope. He lied consistently about his record and claimed that the whole election was rigged against him. In most years, any one of those actions would disqualify candidates from office and ensure their defeat.

Trump might not have been playing by the rules of politics, but he won the game. So how did he do it? Those looking to his career as a developer or reality TV host came up short in predicting Trump’s survival and eventual victory, because those are only part of the story. The most important lessons Donald Trump ever learned were in a pro wrestling ring.

Trump’s decades-long relationship with the world of pro wrestling — and its chief company, WWE, and chief mastermind, Vince McMahon — has been well-documented. He sponsored two early WrestleManias, endorsed Jesse Ventura for president at one and headlined another (he didn’t wrestle, but he did help “Stone Cold” Steve Austin shave McMahon’s head). In one storyline, he “bought” the WWE’s flagship program, “Monday Night Raw,” causing the company’s real-life stock to take a hit. He’s even in the company’s Hall of Fame.

Trump’s time in the squared circle wasn’t simply a business venture: It was a chance to commune with McMahon, with whom he shares a nearly parallel biography. Born to leaders of regional industries, both men took over their fathers’ businesses and turned them into national powerhouses. After ascending to the heights of American culture in the 1980s, they suffered setbacks — legal, financial, personal — in the ’90s before roaring back to prominence at the turn of the new millennium, with the same “You’re fired!” catchphrase, no less.

In pro wrestling, Trump found a world where his particular skills come in handy. Pro wrestling is a morality play where the hero (the “babyface” or simply “face”) battles the villain (the “heel”). The heel gets “heat” — a negative reaction from the crowd — by insulting his enemies and his audience, cheating at every turn and claiming that the game is rigged against him. The audience boos the heel and eagerly waits for the face to give him his comeuppance.

Throughout this presidential campaign, Trump relished his role as a heel, and nearly every one of his positions, statements and actions had an analogue in the annals of pro wrestling. This week, political junkies who were also attuned to the rules of wrestling expected Trump to finally get his comeuppance by losing in dramatic fashion to Hillary Clinton. Obviously, that did not happen. So is the pro wrestling rulebook yet another one Trump has managed to rip up?

Not quite. Heels do win. Arguably the best professional wrestler of all-time, Ric Flair, is a 16-time world champion who reigned for more than 3,000 days over his career, often for longer than a year at a time. Flair also dubbed himself the “stylin’, profilin’, limousine-riding, jet-flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin’ n’ dealin’ son of a gun,” which the Donald would surely appreciate. Even today, the two top champions in the WWE are heels. Heels win championships because it’s good storytelling to have a babyface chase after them. Eventually, a face will win and get the “rub,” or boost in stature within the WWE’s hierarchy, that vanquishing a bastard heel provides. But not every face can climb that final mountain.

If Donald Trump was the heel, then Hillary Clinton was the babyface (if a flawed one) in this campaign. She stayed cool, calm and collected, while Trump seemingly became more extreme as Election Day neared. Even though she played the face, though, a winning combination of voters never got behind her.

Unlike the election, pro wrestling really is rigged, from top to bottom. The booker picks the faces and the heels, plots the storylines and determines the outcomes. If it is done well, the fans cheer the faces, boo the heels and buy tickets, merchandise and pay-per-views. But even the best booker misjudges his audience, from time to time. It even happened to McMahon, a billionaire who built a global entertainment brand.

One of the biggest stars in the WWE today is Roman Reigns. He’s a 31-year-old former football player with the physique of a Greek god, movie-star looks and a prestigious pedigree: he’s a member of the Samoan Anoa’i family, which makes him a cousin of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. After he’d been wrestling for several years, it seemed as if Reigns had been chosen by McMahon to be the face of the company to succeed another star, John Cena, as Cena had followed The Rock and Stone Cold before him. Reigns won big matches, was thrust into the main event and was used as a PR spokesman, filming a PSA for the Ad Council’s “Fatherhood” campaign and other promotional duties.

Then the fans revolted.

Even though everyone knows wrestling is rigged, McMahon’s heavy-handed push of Reigns was a bridge too far. Most fans preferred Daniel Bryan, the scrappy, undersized vegan who up through the ranks of smaller, independent wrestling promotions before coming to WWE. Reigns is a prototypical babyface and the perfect candidate to carry the WWE into the next generation, but he can’t get over with fans. From his look to his in-ring skill to his lineage, he’s perfect on paper. Fans just refuse to root for him.

Maybe what this week taught us is that Clinton is the Roman Reigns of presidential politics. Trump — thanks to what he’s learned from McMahon — is Ric Flair. And with the conventional wisdom of politics in disrepair, perhaps we should be watching more WWE and less cable news to figure out what happens next.

WWE Fan Donald Trump Has Never Tapped Out of Pro Wrestling
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wwe ... ng-n693611

When President-elect Donald Trump was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2013 before a raucous crowd, he made a point to single out and thank Linda McMahon, the matriarch of the wrestling empire, who would become his pick to lead the Small Business Administration just three years later.

Trump, who spent much of his acceptance speech bragging about how a WWE telecast he participated in had "the highest ratings, the highest pay-per-view in the history of wrestling of any kind," was hailed at the time by McMahon's husband Vince as a "Wrestlemania institution," but that might have been an understatement.
The future president has been a fixture in the theatrical world of professional wrestling almost since the beginning of its modern incarnation in the 1980s. He infamously appeared at Wrestlemania IV in Atlantic City in 1988, where he was seen on camera alongside the late mobster Robert LiButti, whom Trump claimed he'd never met and wouldn't recognize.

And in the years since, Trump has taken an even more active role in the McMahon family business, often playing a foil opposite Vince McMahon, who is usually cast as a villain.In 2007, he tried to show up McMahon by dropping "buckets of cash" on the crowd at a WWE Raw event ("How dare Donald Trump embarrass me like this!" an apoplectic McMahon bellowed).In 2009, he pretended to sell "Monday Night Raw" back to McMahon because "I can do whatever the hell I want."And in 2013, in the "Battle of the Billionaires" (a.k.a. "Hair vs. Hair"), Trump got physical, tackling McMahon to the ground and then pumping his fist in the air. McMahon, the loser of that bout, had his head shaved by Trump.Even in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech, Trump was still in character, challenging McMahon to a fight the following year. "I will kick his a-- if he wants, I will kick his a--," Trump said.However, behind the scenes, Trump has enjoyed a much more cordial and friendly relationship with the McMahons. Trump has even hosted two of their Wrestlemania events at his properties.

"Vince is an amazing man, he really is, we kid and we have fun, but everybody knows he's an amazing guy," Trump said backstage after his WWE Hall of Fame induction.Linda McMahon, who can be seen giving Trump a standing ovation at the end of his speech, donated $6 million to Rebuilding America Now, a super PAC that supported the Republican's presidential campaign, and she and her husband have also given $5 million to his foundation, which would make them that controversial entity's largest outside donor, according to the Washington Post.

Linda McMahon, a former U.S. Senate candidate in Connecticut, has been critical of Trump's past comments about women.
"He's not helping, certainly, to put women in the best light," she said in an interview with Yahoo's Katie Couric in March of this year. "Maybe he regrets them, maybe he doesn't. I realize he punches hard when he punches back, but that's just over the top."
Later, she conceded in an interview with the Associated Press that while Trump was not her first choice for president (she was a Chris Christie supporter) she believed he could be "a vessel that has housed this anger and this dissatisfaction" and called him "an incredibly loyal, loyal friend."Just like Trump, her husband and her two children, Linda McMahon has a penchant for playing a direct part in the wrestling action. For example, in 2003 she was 'tombstoned' by a wrestler called Kane.

And in 2005, she got 'stunned' by WWE star Stone Cold Steve Austin in a clip that would come back to haunt her (as well several other videos which highlighted the WWE's treatment of women) during her unsuccessful U.S. Senate bids in 2010 and 2012.Not all wrestling aficionados are pro-Trump. In wake of his rise up the political ranks last year, a Change.org petition penned by a wrestling fan called for his WWE Hall of Fame honor to be revoked.

"Donald Trump is promoting a violent and discriminatory war on people of different religions and nationalities right here in our country, but WWE still has him in their Hall of Fame! Please sign my petition urging WWE to remove Donald Trump from the Hall of Fame," the petition reads.
The petition argues that if wrestling legend Hulk Hogan was removed from WWE promotional material for past racist statements he made, than Trump should be too for his own incendiary comments about Muslims and Mexicans. The petition currently has just over 10,000 signatures.

The Politics of Distraction
First Words
By MARK LEIBOVICH SEPT. 1, 2015
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/maga ... ction.html

We begin, as many discussions about politics today should, with an analogy to pro wrestling. Consider the ‘‘foreign object’’ routine: One combatant produces a concealed item, usually from under his tights — a pointed stick or some hand-size tool of menace — and proceeds to jab his opponent with it. He perpetrates this atrocity in full view of everybody except the referee, who remains oblivious because a complicit third party (perhaps a tag-team partner or a manager) is distracting him.

Now consider our current Republican primary battle royale. Foreign objects might not exist literally in modern campaigns. But there are figurative devices, known as ‘‘shiny objects,’’ that rely on the same principles of distraction, outrage and misdirection. They also involve a hapless dupe in the middle of it all — in this case, us.

There is pandemonium in the squared circle of public life. Pretty much every day someone (a candidate, or a campaign, or the media) will ‘‘hold up some bright, shiny object,’’ as Carly Fiorina put it on ‘‘Meet the Press.’’ That increasingly popular metaphor is an apt one, because the various images it conjures — an intergalactic body glowing brighter as it moves closer to dumbfounded earthlings, a ball on a string held by a hypnotist, a mobile hung above a baby’s crib — all, to varying degrees, seize attention, whether through their novelty or through manipulation. In politics, a shiny object is the preoccupation of the moment: the 14th Amendment, or so-­called birthright citizenship and anchor babies, or, inevitably, any poll.

In these dazzle-­me-­now days, there can be grave consequences for a candidate who comes off as gray and plodding and bogged down in nuance — let alone in shame or embarrassment. Writing in Esquire, Charles P. Pierce said he had expected that Scott Walker would be doing better with the Republican electorate at this point. ‘‘What I did not anticipate,’’ Pierce wrote, was “the rise of the shiny object that is The Man Called Trump.’’ Pierce added that he also did not expect that Walker himself ‘‘would turn out to be such an unimpressive lump of cheese.’’

Donald Trump ‘‘is the brightest and shiniest of all the bright, shiny objects,’’ said David Axelrod, a longtime Obama political adviser. Trump is like a one-man meteor shower of this genre. He sprays exhilarating antagonism upon all manner of Megyn Kellys, Mexicans or whoever his ‘‘loser’’ target of the day might be. He tweets around the clock, rides around in a shimmering helicopter and has that noggin of shimmering hair. He hurls us into the ropes until we find ourselves disoriented, careening against a turnbuckle: Where are we? How did we get here?

The shiny-­object metaphor is not confined to the realm of politics. Business ­strategy, technology and marketing consultants have all referred to ‘‘bright, shiny objects’’ (or ‘‘B.S.O.s’’) to describe the fickle tastes of modern life. Urban Dictionary identifies ‘‘S.O.S.’’ (‘‘shiny-­object syndrome’’) as ‘‘a condition which causes an inability to focus on any particular person while online dating.’’ (By the same token, a number of commentators have dismissed Trump’s recent success in the polls as ‘‘just a summer fling.’’) Its origin may actually lie with an older sort of stump performer. ‘‘Magicians use sleight of hand, dangling a shiny object in front of their audiences to distract them from the hidden deception going on elsewhere,’’ said Christopher Cerf, a co-­author of ‘‘Spin-glish: The Definitive Dictionary of Deliberately Deceptive Language.’’

To some degree, politics has always involved deception. The advent of television intensified this, shrinking attention spans, creating ways to distort and vilify and dramatizing the existential stakes of prosaic debates. Think Lyndon Johnson’s devastating ‘‘Daisy’’ ad in his 1964 re-­election campaign against Barry Goldwater, which showed a little girl picking petals off a daisy and the sudden explosion of a bright, shiny mushroom cloud.

In 1962, the historian Daniel Boorstin published ‘‘The Image: Or What Happened to the American Dream,’’ in which he identified the dawning of the ‘‘age of contrivance,’’ marked by ‘‘pseudo-­events’’: staged happenings that animate a cultural calendar (Hallmark holidays, anniversaries), as well as political set pieces (photo ops, candidate ‘‘announcement’’ ­speeches). Political pseudo-­events have been the engine of television advertising, which focuses on smaller-­bore matters, or ‘‘wedge issues,’’ that would have little relevance to an actual presidency but nonetheless shine a nasty glare on a candidate. George Bush attacked his Democratic presidential opponent, Michael Dukakis, by asserting that Dukakis’s support of a prison-­furlough program in Massachusetts represented a permissive liberalism that he would take to the White House. (The shiny object here was Willie Horton, the escaped convict featured in an infamous campaign ad.) If television was a major development in the creation of shiny objects, the Internet was an Ursa Major development. Even the most isolated outrages become outsize on our little, attention-burning screens.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, Obama and his campaign team warned against becoming too drawn to the ‘‘shiny objects’’ that preoccupied the press. ‘‘It was basically a not-­subtle way of saying that political reporters had attention-­deficit disorder,’’ said Dan Pfeiffer, a former top adviser to Obama. In our defense, though, the A.D.D. of political reporters is fostered by a warped and warping system. Media bosses demand a constant flow of material, which ensures that much reporting remains undigested. Customers want speed or will click elsewhere; competitors spew their own undigested news, and campaigns are only too happy to concoct it, or their opponents will. Shiny objects become tools of our least resistance. Polls and gaffes take less time and brainpower to comprehend than, say, Jeb Bush’s book on immigration policy.

In other words, the press colludes with politicians in this culture of distraction-­mongering. Meanwhile, a new class of political figures has built careers almost entirely on shiny-object status. It’s more fun than writing policy treatises and much easier than actual governing — and it pays better too.

Sarah Palin belongs on the Mount Rushmore of human shiny objects. She secured her place after John McCain made her his surprise running mate in 2008. In an appearance on CNN back then, the pundit Paul Begala lamented that Democrats seemed ‘‘to just not be able to resist’’ focusing on ‘‘the shiny object of Sarah Palin, who is not running against Barack Obama.’’ Less than a year after the campaign ended, Palin had quit her governor’s job and moved on to a lucrative career as a full-time media troll, pundit, author and rally headliner who has been paid eight figures since 2009. Like Trump, she became a reality-­TV star (on a short-­lived TLC series), which is always good for business in Shiny Object Land.

So is running for president. It’s good to convey a sense of being in play even if you clearly are not. Back in the innocent days of 2010, 2011 and 2012, reporters were always falling over one another to ask Trump whether he would run. NBC’s First Read memo summarized a Trump appearance on ‘‘Face the Nation’’ under the heading of ‘‘Your Sunday-­Show Shiny-­Object Alert: Donald Trump to CBS’s Bob Schieffer on whether or not he will eventually jump into the 2012 contest: ‘I hope I don’t have to. But I may — absolutely.’ ’’ No one really took it seriously.

But sometimes reality TV turns into reality. ‘‘The focus on the shiny object becomes a self-­fulfilling prophecy,’’ Pfeiffer said. ‘‘It turns the shiny object into the actual object.’’ And the Summer of Trump shines on.

Former wrestling exec casts herself as a job creator
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Donald Trump and WWE: How the Road to the White House Began at 'WrestleMania'
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... a-20160201

Edited to add:
Pro Wrestling's Greatest Angle Was Convincing Us It Doesn't Matter
http://deadspin.com/pro-wrestlings-grea ... 1619415553
brekin

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't know much, but I do know Russian wrestlers are the scariest of all. Terrifying!
Iamwhomiam

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

brekin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:22 pm wrote:This is where it started.

We agree. For a year I've been showing this to lots of academic types who of course never watched a minute of wrestling and trying to get them to understand its significance. Many do get it right away, because of the enactment of total power and cruelty and fake-torture in the hair-shaving scene. It was the moment he perfected his "art" so to speak.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby brekin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm

JackRiddler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 pm wrote:

We agree. For a year I've been showing this to lots of academic types who of course never watched a minute of wrestling and trying to get them to understand its significance. Many do get it right away, because of the enactment of total power and cruelty and fake-torture in the hair-shaving scene. It was the moment he perfected his "art" so to speak.

I was working with vulnerable populations in the late 90's and hadn't watched professional wrestling in a long time.
It had changed for the worst from the already slightly raunchy and over the top machismo to be openly misogynistic/racist/homophobic/sexual violent/depraved/anti-hero etc. I was surprised how many in the vulnerable population loved, loved, loved the new professional wrestling and not for the merely athletic/showmanship spectacle but the completely dysfunctional and assault orientated and criminal story lines. Many in this population obviously had been victimized and completely devastated by abuse/violence and most isms celebrated each night. It wasn't the escapist larger than life battle narratives I grew up with but large dysfunctional tribal clan pyschodramas. A flying kick to the head really had become the humanest thing you could watch most times. Professional wrestling has anticipated/cultivated/tapped in to the dark side of America where its not about ending victimization but just battling to be the top victimizer.

All the articles posted are good, but the last one is very interesting regarding where the professional wrestling industry came from and what its toll is on the players as an industry. As a template I think the American worker needs to be afraid, very afraid. One of my favorite lines is that the professional wrestling didn't need the mafia, it was its own mafia.

Pro Wrestling's Greatest Angle Was Convincing Us It Doesn't Matter
http://deadspin.com/pro-wrestlings-grea ... 1619415553
brekin

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 pm

JackRiddler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm wrote:

I agree with you in general of a highly effective strategy. Seems blatant.

But do you think that Trump has allies in the shadows who benefit rather than simply a highly effective lone wolf demagogue type politician?

The USA has become the Jerry Springer Show of electoral politics.
PufPuf93

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 pm

PufPuf93 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:59 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm wrote:

I agree with you in general of a highly effective strategy. Seems blatant.

But do you think that Trump has allies in the shadows who benefit rather than simply a highly effective lone wolf demagogue type politician?

The USA has become the Jerry Springer Show of electoral politics.

I don't know.

My guess is until the last decade or two his allies in the shadows and otherwise were in the NY-NJ development/construction/casino mobster and politician scene. People like Little Chris from Jersey, for example. Oh, the McMahons of course. So we're talking a small scale scene compared to the nation and empire that the "Trump Organization" is now attempting to swallow and puke out into a chop-shop. (Am I overdoing the metaphors?)

Since then he's more global, run so many more diverse scams, and must have picked up some mofos in the media industry. Of course he's been around the world many times, has lots of interests here and there. Who the fuck knows? I mean, we should be reading the two books, by that tax reporter Johnston and the other one, shit, I forgot.

However, my expectation is that the most important allies in the shadows as of now are the pirate capitalists and military extremists he picked up during the campaign, those who decided to bet on this relative long-shot play so that they could be in on the ground floor if it worked: Thiel, Paulson, Mercer, and just look at his cabinet for the billionaires and bankers, De Vos and thus Prince, and very obviously: Exxon-Mobil and Goldman Sachs running the most important ministries. Those two guys may be a large part of the show. And my expectation is he'll be more loyal to the early adopters than to the billionaire claquery who came in late, like the ones at his capitalists' cabinet meeting the other day. (Musk, et al. Musk. Sad.)

When Naomi says "corporate takeover," I have to demand a modification. Naturally the corps were always in charge. This is a specific factional takeover by highly piratical elements, scammers basically, and they're doing it in alliance with fucking Nazis.

Shit, when I say that... but let's not Godwin this just yet.

But who the fuck knows? Did you see the Real News Network documentary on Mercer?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion