Correlation does not imply causation

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Correlation does not imply causation

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 pm

"His case is compelling but not, of course, conclusive."

I get the feeling Kent missed the point but anyway some of what he says is fair enough. he misses the point that either everything in a human brain happens there or its all an interaction with an environment. He mentions how humans haven't invented a machine to see that stuff yet, but leaves out the yet bit as if it'll never happen.

For the record, if you actually encounter one of these things, don't move at all and don't try to understand what you're seeing. I wouldn't call them malevolent but they're definitely not particularly interested, either.

Which things? They all act differently for a start.

Yeah the really big ones don't even notice us. But the only time I ever saw one ... well anyway, it didn't notice me and I wasn't tripping at the time either. Thats the only time I've ever considered that "alternative time lines" thing might have had some validity.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby tazmic » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:16 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:The "hallucinations" line was written with this James Kent piece in mind: http://tripzine.com/pit/chapters/The%20 ... Action.htm

"From the quantum scale to the furthest reaches of space we have found no room for pixies, demons or demigods."

I like the language - we have looked into space at all scales and have found no room for anything but this space we were looking at. Perhaps, to complete the scientific picture (frame), they have also found no time, for pixies, demons or demigods.
"It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out." - Heraclitus

"There aren't enough small numbers to meet the many demands made of them." - Strong Law of Small Numbers
tazmic

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:42 am

Also, what about hyperreal numbers?
Joe Hillshoist

Previous

Return to General Discussion