Global Warming, eh?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Global Warming, eh?

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Elihu wrote:devil's advocate here: i think the blatantly telegraphed effort by the oil and coal majors (how many are there, 6-12?) to fund "denier" groups is all part of the ruse. "protect our profits through greed the planet be damned" generates a visceral reaction in the target audience and indirectly reenforces belief in ACC. these entities are so far beyond "business supplying customer with product". profits ceased to thrill a long time ago. all the regulations in the world are no threat to their business. they're into social engineering in concert now. the global regulatory pall of "individual, low and monitored energy consumption" is not going to affect them at all. if anything, it's going to dry like cement around their entrenched positions as global energy suppliers.

From where Im sat theres Zero devils advocate involved in that. As usual youve hit the nail on the head .
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Rory » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 pm

slimmouse wrote:Brief interluede;
Meanwhile in a thousand facilities desperately lacking finance the world over some truly dedicated people are trying to find ways around this via exotic technology. Many have gotten very close. Some have probably actually gotten there. But most of them kind are dead, or get involved in long lawsuits, or have patents waiting for approval forever and a day, or have their patents surpressed in the interests of ....wait for it "National security"...

Dont worry folks, weve got the likes of Wintler assuring us that ALL these instances and researchers are either con artists or indulging in a pile of duff pipedreaming because the big energy giants cant and wouldnt apparently surpress such stuff.

Carry on...........

You keep bang this drum about exotic technology. What do you mean exactly?

Is it tech that produces no effective pollution?

Is it tech that is cheap, easily manufactured and distributed?

Does it require any expensive, hard to find/mine/extract metals, plastics or other composite materials? (and are any of these likely to be sourced from areas of conflict - such as where precious and rare metals are extracted (Congo region for example) or like the middle east?)

Is this technology some kind of miracle battery/energy cell for home/local use?

Is it big project, clean fusion type national/global use?

Is it some kind of 'energy from thin air' tech, or does it require a fuel of some description?

Now: Let's assume it is best case scenario; Clean, cheap, infinite fuel, local use. Powers houses and cars - no more hydrocarbons whatsoever.

Corporations are going to be even more efficient, able to reach further and further and, able to fulfill 'their customers desires' even better than before. The same psychopathic drive for profit and power will be there.

Military is gona be doing shit but off the leash. MIC r&d guys with unlimited energy point sources? *shudders*

Other stuff is going to need the same resources, such as is being aggressively mined in Africa and Asia. These are finite and massively destructive to the indigenous communities. And also to the Chinese factory workers. Meat will still be ground to a pulp by industry and the military.

And lastly, population and food required to sustain it. Well? It's been growing at an alarming rate with the hydrocarbon bonanza: it will be out of control with unlimited energy. We would turn into a metaphorical hoard of locusts and pick the planet clean. Maybe we get to colonize other planets as part of the gig. That'd be a very noble aim for us. Learning our lessons from Africa, Asia and the Americas and teaching the poor lifeforms on other planets these lessons at the point of a ray gun?

Have I gone to far or was I starting, pie in the sky , trying to rationalize your well thought out and realistic drum beat?

The problem is within us, collectively. We are each complicit in our own way (some more than others) in the destructive economic structures and planet affecting behaviors of our species. The first step to change comes from within, but without collective effort we are individually doomed to what fate brings for us.
Rory

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Rory wrote:
slimmouse wrote:Brief interluede;
Meanwhile in a thousand facilities desperately lacking finance the world over some truly dedicated people are trying to find ways around this via exotic technology. Many have gotten very close. Some have probably actually gotten there. But most of them kind are dead, or get involved in long lawsuits, or have patents waiting for approval forever and a day, or have their patents surpressed in the interests of ....wait for it "National security"...

Dont worry folks, weve got the likes of Wintler assuring us that ALL these instances and researchers are either con artists or indulging in a pile of duff pipedreaming because the big energy giants cant and wouldnt apparently surpress such stuff.

Carry on...........

You keep bang this drum about exotic technology. What do you mean exactly?

He may not know, not in any concrete form anyhow. There is nothing of substance there whatsoever.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Simulist wrote:There is nothing of substance there whatsoever.

A dollop of Nickel perhaps.

And Rory, Im just wondering how you actually get people to compete in a world of abundance ?

How much does recycling cost in a world of free energy, or daring to do what Gaddafi attempted to do in Libya by turning the deserts green, or food , or fresh water, or just about any of the basics whose essential costs revolve around energy costs ?

Dont get me started. Start thinking about that instead.

I guess we'll never know will we ?
Last edited by slimmouse on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimmouse

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 pm

slimmouse wrote:

Regarding those "exotic forms of technology" that "might" someday save us: even that dollop of nickel isn't worth a dime. :)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Elihu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm

pick the 100 top largest cities in the world. let's go out on a limb here and say they have an average of 5 million rooftops. why is there not a two foot solar panel on each one trickle-feeding the grid? why is there not a two foot windmill right beside doing the same thing? why does every moving water course in proximity to the grid with a bridge piling in it not have a turbine anchored to it doing the same thing? why so many lightbulbs (enter the poisonous mercury ones exclusively, thanks gov!) and so few skylights? free energy to be harvested? ...
woa, woa, woa that would be taking humanity in the total wrong direction.

and this is not even to discuss the potential existence of exotic energy sources, which btw, i do believe exist, based on nothing more than my negative expectations. will defer to those that have looked into it more but i am interested.

i believe there are more solutions to the problems than are being allowed into the discussion.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Simulist wrote:
slimmouse wrote:

Regarding those "exotic forms of technology" that "might" someday save us: even that dollop of nickel isn't worth a dime. :)

Well as our resident technology simulist, I bow to your deference.
slimmouse

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Elihu wrote:and this is not even to discuss the potential existence of exotic energy sources, which btw, i do believe exist, based on nothing more than my negative expectations. will defer to those that have looked into it more but i am interested.

i believe there are more solutions to the problems than are being allowed into the discussion.

By all means, Elihu, if you've got some EVIDENCE concerning these "exotic energy sources," then please present it.

Nobody's stopping you. Nobody's stopping Simmouse. Nothing is being dis-"allowed." In fact, I eagerly await the evidence.

Some evidence. Any. At all.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Elihu wrote:

:cheers:

Ssshhhhhh,

The schedule should be resuming soon ;

:hamster:
slimmouse

Postby Elihu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

i threw the exotic in as an "eyes toward the horizon" postscript. was hoping that the energy harvesting comment would point up the narrow oil and gas range of the global whatever discussion. big business teaming up with the big government they run to solve a problem they created in the first place is not a good idea imo.

Ssshhhhhh,

The schedule should be resuming soon ;
not if i can help it! anybody can proselytize!
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Simulist wrote:
Elihu wrote:and this is not even to discuss the potential existence of exotic energy sources, which btw, i do believe exist, based on nothing more than my negative expectations. will defer to those that have looked into it more but i am interested.

By all means, Elihu, if you've got some EVIDENCE concerning these "exotic energy sources," then please present it.

Nobody's stopping you. Nobody's stopping Simmouse. Nothing is being dis-"allowed." In fact, I eagerly await the evidence.

If you think Im going to sit here posting you evidence of this for you to diss it your wasting your time. Youre far better off embracing our better collective future by arguing futilities such as this thread as far as im concerned.

But whilst youre here, perhaps you can help me with this problem. There are any number of free energy boards that are full of trolls. Have these people got nothing better to do than to post hour on hour day on day on boards concerning topics they dont even believe in ?
slimmouse

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:02 pm

slimmouse wrote:
Simulist wrote:

If you think Im going to sit here posting you evidence of this for you to diss it your wasting your time.

This isn't about me, Slimmouse — it's about the fact that YOU HAVE NOTHING. No evidence at all. Nada.

Simply that. And you know it.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby slimmouse » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm

Simulist wrote:
slimmouse wrote:
Simulist wrote:

If you think Im going to sit here posting you evidence of this for you to diss it your wasting your time.

This isn't about me, Slimmouse — it's about the fact that YOU HAVE NOTHING. No evidence at all. Nada.

Simply that. And you know it.

OK. So you needed to reinforce that belief in us all that there are no better ways that a touch of funding couldnt help. Gotcha. And the trolls question ?
slimmouse

Postby Simulist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:14 pm

You have posted that there are exotic sources of energy available that are being withheld from humanity, which otherwise might change the equation.

I've asked, repeatedly, for evidence of this.

You offer NOTHING — and then suggest that it is I who is trolling? Come on.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby wintler2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:19 pm

slimmouse wrote:..There are any number of free energy boards that are full of trolls. Have these people got nothing better to do than to post hour on hour day on day on boards concerning topics they dont even believe in ?

The irony of this, on a global warming (that slimmouse doesn't believe in) thread, is superb. Project much, Slim?

[But i shouldn't distract from Slims failure to provide any evidence for Simulist, and from waiting for Bend to get to the point re temperature]
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion