Gold.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Gold.

Postby justdrew » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:18 pm

so Labor isn't a commodity?

of course, they can give to labor a simple and perfectly legal ultimatum, take what you're given or go die in the streets.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

$2.50 an hour

Postby IanEye » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 am

I do think tax structures will have to move away from taxing payroll because society has a desire to have employment. Of all the inputs, you know, wood, coal plastic, cement, there’s one that plays a special purpose, which is labor. And the fact that we’ve been able to tax labor as opposed to capital or consumption, you know, just shows that demand for labor was good relative to other things.

Well, technology in general will make capital more attractive than labor over time. Software substitution, you know, whether it’s for drivers or waiters or nurses or even, you know, whatever it is you do – (laughter).

And that’s going to force us to rethink how these tax structures work in order to maximize employment, you know, given that, you know, capitalism in general, over time, will create more inequality and technology, over time, will reduce demand for jobs particularly at the lower end of the skill set.

And so, you know, we have to adjust, and these things are coming fast. Twenty years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower, and I don’t think people have that in their mental model.

http://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/-bill-gates-event-transcript_082217994272.pdf

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Nordic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:08 pm

justdrew » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:18 pm wrote:so Labor isn't a commodity?

of course, they can give to labor a simple and perfectly legal ultimatum, take what you're given or go die in the streets.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/61c33324-3788 ... z3hVdMrMtX

US wages increase at slowest rate since 1982
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Elihu » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:19 pm

US wages increase at slowest rate since 1982
in that Gilder abstract referred but not linked to (sorry bout that) the screeds were some of the best, and most lucid i've read. however i didn't want it to appeal to that. It came from a place called the American Principles Project. i agree with the review of it that i quoted: It's breeziness. but insight can be a curious thing.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elihu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 am

But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby Elihu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 am

Take a shopping trip if you haven't already
Elihu

Postby NaturalMystik » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Canada sells off most of its gold reserves

Canada is selling off most of its remaining gold reserves, mainly by selling gold coins, figures from the Bank of Canada and Finance Department show.

The country held just $19 million US worth of gold as of last Monday. Through most of 2015, the country's gold reserves stood at more than $100 million US.

Finance Department figures show that Canada sold 41,106 ounces of gold coins in December and another 32,860 ounces of gold coins in January. That left Canada holding 21,929 ounces of gold as of the end of January, worth $24 million US.

With our gold holdings worth $19 million US as of three days ago, that suggests further sales this month, as the price of gold has been rising — up to $1,245 US per ounce today.

The figures don't say which coins Ottawa has been selling. The Royal Canadian Mint has produced pure Maple Leaf gold coins in a variety of denominations for more than 40 years. They've proven to be popular around the world, with more than 25 million troy ounces of coins sold since 1979.

Canada also produced $5 and $10 gold coins in the 1912-1914 period. The mint began to sell off its stash of that vintage gold in 2012.

Canada's shrinking gold reserves

Canada may be one of the world's biggest gold-mining nations, but the government of Canada hasn't been a big buyer of gold coins, or any other gold, for years. That's not too surprising, since no country now uses a gold standard to value and back its currency.

Year-end data from Finance for each of the last 10 years shows that Canada's gold hoard has been worth a maximum of $181 million US during that span.

At current levels, our gold holdings amount to less than 0.1 per cent of the $82.6 billion US that Canada has in official international reserves.

The U.S., by comparison, had 8,133 tonnes of gold (261.5 million troy ounces) as of the end of 2015, according to the World Gold Council, worth almost $300 billion US. That amounted to more than 72 per cent of its total foreign reserves.

Back in the 1960, Canada held more than 1,000 tonnes of gold. But it began steadily selling off its hoard, and by 2003, the country had just 3.4 tonnes.

Now, Canada has less than one tonne.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gold-ca ... -1.3443700
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby elfismiles » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Investors 'go bananas' for gold bars as global stock markets tumble
Bullion dealers report record sales as buyers "queue round the block" to purchase the precious metal
By Elizabeth Anderson / 11:50AM GMT 11 Feb 2016
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... umble.html

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:58 pm

can't eat gold

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Elihu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Can barter with gold silver
as I'm sure one could with cucumbers.
Elihu

Postby Elihu » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:36 pm

As well as speculate. As well as store value. But whatever.
Elihu

Postby NaturalMystik » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Yeah for that reason, despite the extra space required to store, I think silver is the better bet for survival. 1 ounce silver coins establish a pretty good trade baserate, going up to 10oz bars for larger ticket item. Gold would be much harder to trade for small fair value items unless you had a bunch of 1g bars, which could be helpful. I digress...
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling the transmission.
NaturalMystik

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:04 pm

If any of you get abducted, can you ask them how dumb we are for using money?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby General Patton » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:08 pm

For survival, I'd recommend condoms, booze and chocolate. Good barter items, people fuck and drink a lot when times are tough. Beyond that knowing people in your area to form a m̶i̶l̶i̶t̶i̶a̶ neighborhood watch is important, also gotta set up logistics networks beforehand if possible.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:16 pm

Elihu, I believe it would be wise to stock up on cukes. You too DNC, have what counts.

Some have so much silver and gold they could dump it into the market and devalue its worth dramatically, and make it all but worthless. Much like the Hunt brothers did decades ago, if you'll recall. I read one investment banker or hedge fund manager mad half a billion last year, nearly twice his previous year's earnings. I cannot compete with the likes of him. Besides, I've got a hoard of Indian Head Pennies! (It was the only thing my friends kids didn't steal when they got my other silver and rare coins. You might have heard about that early American coin that sold for a couple of million? It was my grandfather's and his before him. I know how unbelievable this sounds, but it is true. That summer I got lots of my silver nickles back from the ice cream man in change after they cashed them in for goodies. C'est la vie.
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion