Gold.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Holy gold prices batman...

Postby bks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:30 pm

chump wrote:
Another note: One would probably have to pay 100% + a premium for physical gold; as opposed to only having to come up with 12% of the value to secure a certificate for gold that is (supposedly) being stored in a Swiss vault. Is that Correct? I ain't buying, but I'm curious: Which is the better deal?

Physical gold can usually be had from a dealer for a small-ish premium (3-5%), chump; silver too. My experience. Actually, a bit more for silver.
bks

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby SonicG » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Chavez would have some trouble with the logistics:

How to get $12 billion of gold to Venezuela
Ever since the news broke last week that Hugo Chávez wanted to transport 211 tons of physical gold from Europe to Caracas, I’ve been wondering how on earth he possibly intends to do such a thing.

There are 99 tons already being held at the Bank of England; according to the FT, the plan is to transfer other gold to the Bank of England from custodians such as Barclays, HSBC, and Standard Chartered; then, once it’s all in one place, um, well, nobody has a clue what might happen. Here’s the best guess from the FT:

Venezuela would need to transport the gold in several trips, traders said, since the high value of gold means it would be impossible to insure a single aircraft carrying 211 tonnes. It could take about 40 shipments to move the gold back to Caracas, traders estimated.

“It’s going to be quite a task. Logistically, I’m not sure if the central bank realises the magnitude of the task ahead of them,” said one senior gold banker.

I put the ever-resourceful Nick Rizzo on the task, but he came up with little more: the market in physical gold is tiny, and largely comprised of nutcases. The last (and only) known case of this kind of quantity of gold being transported across state lines took place almost exactly 75 years ago, in 1936, when the government of Spain removed 560 tons of gold from Madrid to Moscow as the armies of Francisco Franco approached. Most of the gold was exchanged for Russian weaponry, with the Soviet Union keeping 2.1% of the funds in the form of commissions and brokerage, and an additional 1.2% in the form of transport, deposit, melting, and refining expenses.

more at link

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2 ... venezuela/
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby chump » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Gaddafi will try to sell Libyan gold: ex-central banker

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... XO20110825

... There are gold reserves worth $10 billion in Tripoli and Gaddafi could have taken some of that amount, he said.

Bengdara said he believed that Gaddafi had fled Tripoli and could be heading toward the Algerian border.

"Now he is looking to pay and corrupt some tribes and some militia to have protection and to create further chaos," he said.

The former central bank governor, who is a director of Italian bank UniCredit, said Libya needed $5-$7 billion as a bridging loan to get the banking system restarted and to pay for imports.

"We don't need donors. Libya is a rich country. The state activities from the Libyan Investment Authority, the central bank and gold reserves are worth $168 billion. But it is all frozen," Bengdara said.

It will take months and a U.N. Security Council resolution before these sums are freed up, he said.
chump

Postby Nordic » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:22 pm

The invasion of Libya will turn out to have been nothing but a massive bank robbery. The gold. Oh, and the oil, too, but that's a given. How many "contractors" are gonna go back to the States, now, via the Cayman Islands, holding a few pounds of gold?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Gold.

Postby barracuda » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Should we advocate for a return to the gold standard and away from fiat money? How would this work in practical terms?

The vast majority of outstanding debt in this country - 18 trillion dollars of it - is held in dollar denominations, and there is only about 450 billion dollars worth of gold held by the federal government.

Speculative attacks on the currency are what forced Great Britian off the gold standard - they are remarkably easy to muster in an environment of outstanding government debts. So, once the bullion is dispersed among the populace, how does the government go about paying it's bills? Do they levy taxes in gold? Issue specie? How do smaller market exchanges transpire? Do you pay your rent or buy cigarettes using actual gold? How would a return to the gold standard effect the dollar?

Most of all, I wonder what the political subtext is in gold standard advocacy?

The greatest financial depressions in this country's history all occurred during the use of the gold standard. That's the history here. Historically, deflationary depression is the endemic hallmark of gold standard economies (see: 1928, which can't be blamed on the gold standard, but surely wasn't helped by the adherence), because out of all the ways to produce wealth, only one produces gold and that is mining, so anytime you have actual growth in productivity and output within the economy, the money supply suffers practical contraction and subsequent deflation.

I honestly feel like I could argue either side of this question, but at the moment I'm happy to serve up some of my reservations with the gold standard. But I'm not particularly vehement about much of it, at least partly because I successfully counseled my immediate family to embrace gold in their portfolio when it was around $750, and they love me for the many thousands of dollars they feel they've made or saved. But now I'm trepidacious about at exactly what point they might wish to sell off and take profit in FRNs, or if this is even a good idea.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Re: Gold.

Postby Elihu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 pm

well let the games begin! suffice it to say that the whole economy and production and consumption would be completely different. it's inimical to large-scale centralized corporate production and distribution and the withholding of taxes at the source with government and banks getting first dibs on the loot. today, under the FR empire war machine, the gov is sovereign over the citizens and the fed is sovereign over the gov via irredeemable currency. with sovereign money in the hands of the people it would be the other way round. i hope to add to the discussion time permitting. try not to picture it as life today, just substituting all the payments we now make with gold. apples/oranges. some things needed to make it work: free coinage at the national mint for gold and silver, no legislated ratio in the exchange rate between gold and silver, and no interference in a gold "bill" market that includes free "discount" houses (like a bank but that trade only gold bills). that way actual physical gold coins need not change hands at every transaction. gov? get ready for some local democracy. the situation would also be inimical to a large centralized, gov.

from a practical standpoint as we have discussed before, the only way to transition is to legalize a standard gold (and silver) coin as payable for debts alongside the currently protected federal reserve notes, at the totally free option of the parties. if they don't agree, no deal and no one's gold or silver can be taken away without going through a court first. the us gold reserves should be dispersed to the citizens via tax return information at the IRS. they should not be the conduit however.

hope this doesn't turn into a dog like the debt thread, but thanks to you cuda for bringing it up. it might be a joke and i (and others like me) might be an idiot (i concede the possibility). but we should be able to have a good-faith discussion. congrats to your relatives on a successful investment!

"A greater result is obtained by producing goods in round-about ways than by producing them directly . . . . That round-about methods lead to greater results than direct methods is one of the most important and fundamental propositions in the whole theory of production."
– Eugen von Bohm-Bawerk
Last edited by Elihu on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Elihu

Postby Nordic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:48 pm

The banks and the speculators would have a much harder time coming up with "exotic financial instruments" with a gold standard in place. Also, how would they make all these debilitating loans to people and nations, and thus force everyone into debt slavery, if they had to actually have the gold to loan, rather than literally creating money simply by the act of loaning it??

I wish I could literally create money by creating a loan. That's better than alchemy!!
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Elihu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Nordic wrote:Also, how would they make all these debilitating loans to people and nations, and thus force everyone into debt slavery, if they had to actually have the gold to loan, rather than literally creating money simply by the act of loaning it??
i think that question answers itself :) for example, if it was real depositor money they were loaning, and they actually ran a risk of loss, who would have loaned me the credit card balances i now carry? doh. who would deposit their gold in that bank? puts things in a different light.
Elihu

Postby barracuda » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Elihu wrote: well let the games begin!

No games, just trying to iron out some thoughts which stuck with me after our earlier discussion of this topic.

free coinage at the national mint for gold and silver,

Alright, but would these coins be denominated? Here's a decent article on free coinage:

At the dawn of the 20th century, gold was the world's money. A British Pound was 7.32 grams of gold, and the coin which contained that amount of gold was called the "Sovereign"; it had no numeric value engraved upon it, which is significant: gold was money and the Sovereign did not require a numeric value in terms of something else. A US dollar was the name for a monetary unit that contained 1.505 grams of gold. A Mexican peso was the name for a monetary unit that contained .75 grams of gold. And so on, around the world.

The 20th century saw the birth and growth of the power of the State thanks to the idea that the State is to be responsible for prosperity and the amelioration of the economic condition of the poor - the Welfare State, in other words. The Welfare State requires expenses far beyond the resources of the State which can be provided by taxation.

Banking systems all over the world collaborated in providing their respective States with banking money (deposits) and bank notes created out of nothing.

Initially, it was possible to redeem this bank money by claiming gold against the delivery of bank money, but finally in the 30's, paper calims against gold were so excessive that general bankruptcy took place, and since then, no bank note in the world has been exchangeable for gold upon demand.

The last tenuous link between money and gold which existed in the world was expressed by the Bretton Woods Treaty of 1944. Only foreign Central Banks could claim gold redemption for dollars which they held. Their own monetary systems were based on the trust that their dollar claims upon US gold would be honored.

On August 15, 1971 those claims were dishonored. Nixon "closed the gold window" and the dollar, and with it the whole world, was freed from any constraint upon the increase of debt - debt could be "paid" with more debt, forever and ever, or so it was thought.

The international bankers were delighted. At last, they were free from that pesky limiting factor, gold! Free to expand credit, free to create more money ad libitum. The ensuing decades were a banker's dream!

By and large, the change to irredeemable bank money was enormously successful, if the creation of a world gone mad can be considered a success.

As the decades went by, people eventually forgot about the gold into which their bank notes (paper money) had once been redeemable. They began to think about their bank notes as money itself, when they are not so by any means; they are only a formerly redeemable representation of actual gold money.

The bank notes bear numbers which originally referred to the weight of metal they represented. The world has forgotten this entirely and now people everywhere regard the bank note as money itself and the quantity of money as equivalent to the number on the note.

The population of the globe today thinks of money in terms of numbers which refer to no quantity of anything. The more numbers you can add up, the wealthier you are! The world's money is simply numeric.

The author proposes a slow introduction of non-denominated silver coinage into circulation before gold:

A silver coin with no engraved face value can be granted a numeric value by means of an official quote on the part of a State Authority, either by the Central Bank, or preferably by the Treasury itself.

The numeric value will overvalue the silver in the coin, ideally by a small percentage. This numeric value, granted by the Central Bank or Treasury, will increase as the price of silver rises; the rise in the price of silver will be inevitable, due to the constant increase in the volume of numeric paper money and bank deposits.

The overvaluation of the silver coin by the Treasury or other Authority creates a profit for the Treasury or other Authority that mints and grants a virtual monetary value to the coin. This is can be called either a subsidy or a tax paid by the population to the issuing institution. This is a one-time-only cost of furnishing real, tangible silver money for the population, and it will willingly be paid by the population. The cost will not be paid by the Monetary Authority, but paid by the population to the Monetary Authority.

Temporary falls in the price of silver will not be allowed to affect the official numeric value, only rises, just as the value of a dollar bill does not depend upon the value of the paper it's printed on. (Though rises in the price of paper and costs of printing are making the printing of paper dollars uneconomical already, as shown by the attempts to introduce metallic dollars into circulation in the U.S.) A fall in the price of silver would mean greater profit for the Monetary Authority, and a larger over-valuation of the silver in the coin, regarding which the public will be totally indifferent. Absolutely no one will wish to turn in his over-valued silver coins for paper bills.

This coin will never disappear from circulation, as it bears no engraved value which cannot be modified when the intrinsic value of the silver in the coin begins to approach its engraved value.

This coin, due to its superior quality as incorporating a quantity of silver, will immediately be snapped up by the population and retained as savings. Daily expenses will be met with numeric money but silver will be kept back as savings, useable in emergencies directly as money in daily transactions.

The creation of this silver coin, now become money with a virtual numeric value, makes its use possible in numeric economic calculation and in daily needs in case of pressing circumstances. It can co-exist with numeric money. Whoever pays with the coin, the recipient of the coin will probably retain it in savings. It can be deposited for credit in a bank at its numeric value, in which case the bank manager will probably keep it for himself, by substituting an equivalent amount of paper money out of his own pocket for the silver coin.

This plan for monetizing silver is not a plan for "free coinage of silver". The Mint will coin such quantities of silver coins as demanded by the public. If the coin is scarce, a premium will be paid by savers anxious to own this coin. The Monetary Authority will be charged with the task of minting quantities of this coin sufficient to satisfy popular demand. If the coin is so abundant that its quantity exceeds the capacity for savings of the population, the excess will return, via the banking system, to the Central Bank, until the desire for saving on the part of the population once more manifests itself in further demand for the coin.

Thus, silver will come once again into use as money, with the help of a virtual numeric value granted by a Monetary Authority.

It is foreseeable that masses of this silver money, put away in savings, will be in the hands of the people as numeric money destroys itself, as it appears to be doing through its issuance in astronomic quantities. When the pernicious numeric money destroys itself, silver will remain in the field! When the Central Banks collapse through their own actions, silver will once again take its rightful and reasonable place in the lives of people, by default.

World demand for this coin, ideal for savings, will be so great as to drive industrial use of silver into second place in the determination of the price of silver. As silver is sought as a monetary refuge, minting of coins will become so great that demand for silver as money will determine limits to its industrial use and drive the price so high that the old ratio of 16:1 might become a reality once again. But, that would be far in the future.

The fixed ratios between silver and gold which existed in the past were actually mistakes of policy and theoretically, it is unsound to look for such a fixed ration, because of the difference between gold and silver. Gold does not have a diminishing marginal utility, while silver does have such a diminishing marginal utility. This indicates that the ratio between silver and gold must be a fluctuating ratio, where it is the value of silver with relation to gold that fluctuates.

It is important to place monetized silver in the hands of people once again so that the idea of silver as money does not totally disappear from the memory of mankind.

Our very civilization depends upon the use of real, physical money. We cannot have an industrial civilization along with the use of numeric money which is now either paper, or in bank accounts nothing more than imaginary money.

Man cannot deal with reality with what is the stuff of numbers of no substance.

Silver must be first in circulation, before gold, because silver is for use by the masses and gold is much more special. The way back to gold, which is so vitally important, is through silver as money in the hands of the people.

The issue of globalised value variations in the international market still obtains, as well as the problems of speculation and the miners advantage.

Also, I'm not seeing how bank depositing would function versus the commodity price volatility we see these days.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

eye've got a golden ticket

Postby IanEye » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Man cannot deal with reality with what is the stuff of numbers of no substance.

yes, yes. this is all well and good.
But how shall we address the ensuing dearth of wishes and rainbows?
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Elihu » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

would these coins be denominated?
no, just standardized as to design, weight and purity. there are alot of coins out there but the coin sanctioned by the national or state gov would be the standard. people could reasonably rely on it and the other coins would be measured by it. other coins are also freely spendable but the idea being the standard coin would be the most efficient. the mint is there to coin other gold and silver into the standard at the people's option.
The world has forgotten this entirely and now people everywhere regard the bank note as money itself and the quantity of money as equivalent to the number on the note.
imo, the situation sets up wonderfully because, initially, not knowing how to value goods and services in ounces, people will first do a conversion of a frn numeric price into ounces before transacting. i would be fascinated to see if, eventually and perhaps quickly, prices would be quoted in ounces instead of frn #'s. paper revolves around gold and not the other way round. i think people would embrace the chance to negotiate with both mediums in hand. they would quickly determine which gives them the most bargaining power and which they prefer. that choice thingy. it's a good thing. imo.

re silver, i confess i read salinas price's article and flat did not understand what he was saying. gold and silver are perfect complements to each other. au is low volume, high value, ag is higher volume lower value. together, depending on the needs of any given situation, they can answer all fiduciary needs. i see no need to denominate either in anything other than the prevailing gold/silver ratio. they have to be freely convertible into each other.

http://professorfekete.com/articles%5CA ... Silver.pdf

here was prof fekete's response to salinas price. fascinating speculation about the chinese. i always find his writing interesting. he is an academic and sounds like a scientist to me. i admire his erudition and mental acuity even if i don't understand all of it.
Elihu

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:28 pm

http://financialedge.investopedia.com/f ... z1YX977O11

Who Holds The Largest Gold Reserves?

Posted: September 6, 2011 11:06AM by Michael Sanibel

The chemical element Au with atomic number 79 "has never been worth zero." King Tutankhamen and the Incas had at least one thing in common - they understood the value and scarcity of gold and used it as a symbol of wealth and power. Nothing has changed since.

Even though gold is no longer used to back currencies like the dollar, it is still stockpiled by countries around the world. Since the price of gold has fluctuated dramatically, the holdings are expressed in metric tons (or tonne = 1000 kg) as documented by the World Gold Council in August 2011. One U.S. ton is approximately 0.9 tonnes. Here's a look at who holds the largest gold reserves and the amount of holdings.

TUTORIAL: The Industry Handbook: Precious Metals

United States - 8,133.5
While the U.S. permanently abandoned the gold standard in 1971, it has the largest holdings of any country by a wide margin. While most of the gold is held at Fort Knox in Kentucky, gold is also held by the U.S. Mints in Philadelphia and Denver and several other locations.

Germany - 3,401.0
Germany's central bank, the Deutsche Bundesbank in Frankfurt, is the manager of the country's reserves. However, reports have surfaced that the bulk of Germany's gold is in the physical custody of the New York Federal Reserve. Two years ago, international journalist, Max Keiser received an acknowledgment of these holdings in the U.S. directly from the Bundesbank. (The policies of these banks affect the currency market like nothing else. For more, see Get To Know The Major Central Banks.)

International Monetary Fund (IMF) - 2,846.7
The IMF overseas the economic activity of its 187 member countries around the globe. While its gold policies have changed over time, the reserves are intended to aid national economies and stabilize international markets. Depending on market conditions, it will buy or sell portions of its reserves in support of specific economic initiatives.

Italy - 2,451.8
Italy's reserves are held and managed by the Banca D'Italia. Italy is one of the PIIGS nations (along with Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain), all of which are suffering financial woes that threaten the entire eurozone. Parliament approved austerity measures in exchange for financial assistance, but the country is also embroiled in a political crisis that centers on Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. In addition to being charged with paying for sex with a minor, his government is under investigation for influence peddling and corruption.

France - 2,435.4
The Banque de France is the central depository for France's gold reserves.

After World War II, the Bretton Woods Agreement established a standard that pegged the dollar at the gold exchange rate of $35 (USD) per ounce. Subsequently, President Charles de Gaulle reduced French dollar reserves by exchanging them for gold from Fort Knox. As a result of this action and other economic considerations, President Richard Nixon ended the convertibility of dollars to gold in 1971. (For related reading, see The Midas Touch For Gold Investors.)

China - 1,054.1
While the world's most populous country is sixth on the list of total holdings, gold accounts for only 1.6% of China's foreign reserves. It is the largest foreign holder of U.S. Treasuries with a total investment of $1.166 trillion as of June 30, 2011.

China is the world's largest producer of gold and can buy gold from its own mines without reporting those transactions publicly. It has reasons to buy gold off the open market since open market transactions would push the price even higher and devalue its U.S. Treasury holdings.

The Wall Street Journal has reported that China dramatically increased its gold purchases in response to inflation fears. Because of possible stealth transactions, China's total gold holdings and the prices it pays are uncertain.

Switzerland - 1,040.1
Switzerland's seventh place rank on this list is notable considering its economy is the 38th largest and its population is the 95th largest in the world.

The Swiss National Bank is charged with managing the gold reserves and the country's monetary policy.

Russia - 775.2
Russia's gold reserves are in the custody of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation. The country has been on a buying spree, increasing its holdings by 21% in 2009 as it opened several new mines, and another 24% in 2010. The Wall Street Journal has reported that Russia plans to buy an additional 90 tonnes per year to replenish its reserves.

Japan - 765.2
Gold accounts for only 3.3% of Japan's total foreign reserves which are managed by the Bank of Japan.

Netherlands - 615.5
The gold reserves and national finances are managed by the Netherland Bank. (For related reading, see The Currency Board: Understanding The Government's Bank.)

TUTORIAL: Commodities: Gold

The Bottom line
The biggest holders of gold are governments, central banks and international entities that currently account for 30,500 of the world's estimated 160,000 tonnes. The current rate of new production from mining is about 2,497 tonnes per year. As the price has risen, more mines have become economically feasible to open or reopen.

Gold has gotten much attention lately as the price has risen to new highs, although it is still well below the January 1980 inflation-adjusted high of about $2,400 per ounce. Unlike money, you can't print more gold, so it's likely to continue to be a safe haven investment during uncertain economic times. (For related reading, see Gold: The Other Currency.)

That old high in gold price ($800 in 1980) lasted for about a day. It was at a time of 15% CPI in the US and near-20% interest rates, an engineered shock therapy to usher in the neoliberal age.

I learned today that close to 600 tons are held by the largest ETF (SPDR, which would be almost in the top 10 on the list of government holders), and there are many other ETFs.

ON EDIT: OOPS! According to this,
http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/who ... -gold/2491
SPDR Goldshares ETF owns 1126 tonnes of gold (double what I mistakenly calculated from a different stat) which would make it No. 6 on the above list!

ETFs buy more gold as more people invest in the fund, and would sell their physical gold if investors sold the ETF paper. ETF paper holders are, of course, not goldbugs, because they're not buying the precious gold that will turn edible after Armaggeddon. They're buying paper. They don't fetishize the physical gold, they're looking for ROI. Also learned that most gold is in the form of jewelry for retail sale. Also that this market has collapsed with prices so high. So right now if investors started cashing in their enormous winnings (from $300 to more than $1800 in what, seven years?), ETFs would accordingly sell the physical gold and the current gold price would prove to be a bubble.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_reserve, citing the Goldbugs International, oh sorry, the World Gold Council, here is where the gold is:

World gold holdings (2008)
(Source: World Gold Council[20])
Holding Percentage
Jewelry 52%
Central banks 18%
Investment (bars, coins) 16%
Industrial 12%
Unaccounted 2%

Also, here are the biggest ETFs - impressive total:

Rank Name Type Gold (Tonnes)
1 SPDR Gold Shares ETF 1,239
2 ETF Securities Gold Funds ETF 259.79
3 ZKB Physical Gold ETF 195.53
4 COMEX Gold Trust ETF 137.61
5 Julius Baer Physical Gold Fund ETF 93.50
6 Central Fund of Canada CEF 52.71[16]
7 NewGold ETF ETF 47.75
8 Sprott Physical Gold Trust CEF 32.27
9 ETFS Physical Swiss Gold Shares ETF 27.97
10 Bullionvault Bailment 37.1[17]
11 Central Gold Trust CEF 18.81[18]
12 GoldMoney Bailment 19.01[19]

I like how they put "physical gold" in their names even though that's not what they sell, they sell paper representing their big reserves.

I wonder if an institution like SPDR Gold Shares (HSBC, they keep their tonnes in one location in London) would be willing to screw the rest of the gold market? Naaaaaaah!

Last edited by JackRiddler on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 2012 Countdown » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:39 pm

===

Venezuela law: Gold mined to be sold to government
Originally published: September 19, 2011 8:15 PM
Updated: September 19, 2011 8:34 PM
By The Associated Press
---
In February, a Canadian mining company, Crystallex International Corp., sought international arbitration after Venezuela rescinded its contract to develop a major gold mine. The company claimed it was due $3.8 billion in compensation.
Chavez launched the changes in the mining sector last month while also announcing that Venezuela would repatriate about $11 billion in Venezuelan gold reserves, more than 211 tons of gold currently held in U.S. and European banks.
---
http://www.newsday.com/business/venezue ... -1.3184087
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby eyeno » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Just saw this posted today at a news aggregation site.
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/09/kei ... still.html

Max Keiser video that references the gold subject. The second half of this video is a guest interview with a guy named Bill Still. I think I will have to watch this five times to fully grok it and understand it. I understand all the fractional reserve banking parts, but as it exactly relates to gold I am a little foggy on it. It is my understanding that the bankers control most of the gold reserves anyway, so i'm not sure how the gold standard helps exactly because they will simply game the system? Right?

If the gold was sitting out in the open where everybody could watch it and account for it, and there was NO PAPER GOLD, I think the gold system could work because bankers could not game the system so easily?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSWpmtm ... r_embedded

eyeno

Postby freemason9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

I don't think that modern capitalism and the gold standard are compatible systems.
The real issue is that there is extremely low likelihood that the speculations of the untrained, on a topic almost pathologically riddled by dynamic considerations and feedback effects, will offer anything new.
freemason9

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion