Blackwater, late called Xe, become Academi

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Blackwater, late called Xe, become Academi

Postby vanlose kid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 am

Elvis wrote:Image

Ted Wright, president and chief executive officer, said Monday that the choice of the name Academi reflects an intent to refocus on training.

"We chose the name because we want to let people know that part of our strategy is to lead with training and focus on training," Wright said.

The word "academy" is traceable to a school run by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato.

"Excellenci, digniti, disciplini, honori, integriti," Wright said. "That's the ethos that we want this company to have."
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/12/first-blackwater-then-xe-now-company-academi

So, these guys are gonna be like teaching philosophy 'n shit.

make that philosophi 'n' shi'.

barracuda wrote:
Simulist wrote: I'd assumed the name had been truncated, too.

Not me. I'm ashamed to admit I've been on brand development teams in charge of designing corporate monikers, and about one-quarter of the six-hundred or so we'd put forward in the rough cut to the client usually ended in a vowel, mostly "i". Why? The "i" ending is friendli and somewhat effeminati, has a high-techi look to it, and quickly renders most any word remarkabli trademark-able. In other words, it is the standard, easy way to approach a corporate name that you don't want to really mean anything at all. Personally, I think this name could have been made even a shade more lame if they had really, really tried by demanding within the usage standards that it must always be printed lowercase:

academi™ - we kill people

Needs a better tagline, though, for market positioning.

academiTM
building the future of kinetic military action one body at a time

barracudi

:bigsmile
"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:17 am

The word "academy" is traceable to a school run by the ancient Greek philosopher Plato.

I call bullshi.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Nordic » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:36 am

The Consul wrote:Eric Prince will realize the genius of his name sake's marketing dexterity and eventually change the name to an unpronounceable symbol.

Yes! Like The Artist Formerly Known as Prince!

The Company Formerly Known as Mercenary Murderers and War Criminals.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby AlicetheKurious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 am

Elvis wrote:

Plato's Academy? More like Dante's Inferno:

They keep playing their shell games but the stink of blood and brimstone won't go away. "Kingfish", aka Erik Prince, has greatly expanded his multi-billion dollar "desert empire" of cold-blooded killers, servicing any client who combines oodles of hard cash with a driving need to prove to "pro-democracy" protesters that they are "not to be messed with".

...The Colombians had entered the United Arab Emirates posing as construction workers. In fact, they were soldiers for a secret American-led mercenary army being built by Erik Prince, the billionaire founder of Blackwater Worldwide, with $529 million from the oil-soaked sheikdom.

Mr. Prince, who resettled here last year after his security business faced mounting legal problems in the United States, was hired by the crown prince of Abu Dhabi to put together an 800-member battalion of foreign troops for the U.A.E., according to former employees on the project, American officials and corporate documents obtained by The New York Times.

The force is intended to conduct special operations missions inside and outside the country, defend oil pipelines and skyscrapers from terrorist attacks and put down internal revolts, the documents show. Such troops could be deployed if the Emirates faced unrest in their crowded labor camps or were challenged by pro-democracy protests like those sweeping the Arab world this year.

The U.A.E.’s rulers, viewing their own military as inadequate, also hope that the troops could blunt the regional aggression of Iran, the country’s biggest foe, the former employees said. The training camp, located on a sprawling Emirati base called Zayed Military City, is hidden behind concrete walls laced with barbed wire. Photographs show rows of identical yellow temporary buildings, used for barracks and mess halls, and a motor pool, which houses Humvees and fuel trucks. The Colombians, along with South African and other foreign troops, are trained by retired American soldiers and veterans of the German and British special operations units and the French Foreign Legion, according to the former employees and American officials.

In outsourcing critical parts of their defense to mercenaries — the soldiers of choice for medieval kings, Italian Renaissance dukes and African dictators — the Emiratis have begun a new era in the boom in wartime contracting that began after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. And by relying on a force largely created by Americans, they have introduced a volatile element in an already combustible region where the United States is widely viewed with suspicion.

The United Arab Emirates — an autocracy with the sheen of a progressive, modern state — are closely allied with the United States, and American officials indicated that the battalion program had some support in Washington.

“The gulf countries, and the U.A.E. in particular, don’t have a lot of military experience. It would make sense if they looked outside their borders for help,” said one Obama administration official who knew of the operation. “They might want to show that they are not to be messed with.”

Knowing that his ventures are magnets for controversy, Mr. Prince has masked his involvement with the mercenary battalion. His name is not included on contracts and most other corporate documents, and company insiders have at times tried to hide his identity by referring to him by the code name “Kingfish.” But three former employees, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of confidentiality agreements, and two people involved in security contracting described Mr. Prince’s central role.

The former employees said that in recruiting the Colombians and others from halfway around the world, Mr. Prince’s subordinates were following his strict rule: hire no Muslims.

Muslim soldiers, Mr. Prince warned, could not be counted on to kill fellow Muslims.
Link
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Hammer of Los » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 am

My God its beyond hideous, isn't it.

Nice post Alice.

The former employees said that in recruiting the Colombians and others from halfway around the world, Mr. Prince’s subordinates were following his strict rule: hire no Muslims... Muslim soldiers, Mr. Prince warned, could not be counted on to kill fellow Muslims.

Damn their unreliable muslim hides!

Bunch a lily livered cowards!

How outrageous that anyone should show any compunction in murdering their very own kin!

That Mr Prince comes quite close to getting me to accept the reality of evil in the world.

But I bet he does not confront the truth of what he does as we confront it. Or worse yet, as all his murdered victims confronted it.

I trust that poor Mr Prince will not meet a good end. He who lives by the sword etc.

:angelwings:

Hammer of Los

Postby Stephen Morgan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:28 pm

norton ash wrote:How about MyGoons? ThugsOnCall? FullMetalJackoffs?

Murder, Inc. and Thievery Corporation were taken.

Synonyms: bedlam, booby hatch, bughouse, funny farm, insane asylum, laughing academy, lunatic asylum, madhouse

Laughin Academi. All the way to the bank.

Why have I heard of Laughlin Academy?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:28 pm

ʾIblīs has a nice ring to it.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Avalon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Darn, I'd finally gotten used to pronouncing Xe as "Che" or "Christ-ee".
Avalon

Postby AlicetheKurious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:ʾIblīs has a nice ring to it.

Yeah, but then that would defeat the purpose by giving too much away.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Plato's Academy. Used to have a swinger co-worker who would tell me all he got up to in the NY establishment of that name.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby The Consul » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Elvis wrote:

I call bullshi.

Me, too, while finishing a glass of chiant .
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Elvis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Since several reports put "ACADEMI" in upper case, I wondered if it was an acronym. Apparently it isn't, and the "i" is just to make it 'edgy'.

Maybe it really is a secret acronym that only 'qualifying clients' get to see?

Amalgamated Corporate Action Division: Extralegal Military & Intelligence

On the other hand, it looks suspiciously like an anagram.
The closest match is "CIA MADE." :mrgreen:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby undead » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Academi for training interni brand human chattel. 100% certified homegrown grass fed terrorist.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Consul » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:36 am

To think it was all begotten by those little mirrors in sun visors.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Stephen Morgan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am

Bruce Dazzling wrote:ʾIblīs has a nice ring to it.

Wasn't he only called Iblis before rebelling against God?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion