OK - we're back !

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

OK - we're back !

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:32 am

more of the same DB problems. Removed a huge vastly huge single post that may have been the root of the problem (or perhaps just a minor sticking point in my efforts to cope with the problems). We lost something like an hours worth of posts from my midnight to about 1am when the posts_DB died.

An attempt is underway to reduce the posts_DB size by pruning old messages. An archive of the old messages will be maintained at http://rigorousintuition.ca/board_archive/index.php Your password and username are the same as it currently is for the live board. Everyone has readonly access to the archive. So even if you can't log into it, you could use the guest account to access it. We'll have to see how this works out in the long run. I plan on keeping the last three or four years on the "live" board, and that's per-thread. so an old thread like images-only won't have any posts removed from it, because the aging is based on the last post to the thread.

hit me up with any questions.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: OK - we're back !

Postby Simulist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:52 am

Hi Drew. First of all, thank you for your tireless efforts. I'm sure that not only Jeff and the moderators appreciate you, but regular posters like me are also grateful you're there.

And there really isn't any "second of all." Just that: thanks! :)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 am

Drew, you're awesome and I can't wait to meet you some day. Just really a truly great person you are. I've waded into database malfunctions before and never want to ever again.

Dude, you're awesome and thank you. Merry Christmas, amigo.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 am

ImageImageImage

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:04 am

If RI had a secret Santa exchange, Drew, I would see to it that everyone would draw your name. Thanks again! :thumbsup
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:08 am

:eeyaa thanks for all your kind words folks! :partyhat

Note that we do now have a post-size limit. It's still big, but let me know if anyone runs into an issue with it. (our problems _might_ have been exacerbated by a single ~two+ megabyte post that also broke a lot of people's browsers when they tried to load the page that had it.

BTW - I am still unemployed, so if anyone knows a job opening for a jack-of-most-trades computer guru, let me know. I remain un-certified and un-college edumacated. :D
justdrew

Postby Nordic » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:11 am

Was that a photo, or a post that was too full of photos?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 am

Nordic wrote:Was that a photo, or a post that was too full of photos?

no, it was that complete leaked list of BNP party members. Which is, no doubt, still available elsewhere should anyone want it.

pictures don't actually go in the DB luckily! When a pic is posted, the image host holds the file, and all we get is the link to it. (we had to stop accepting attachment style pictures, which would be hosted on our server, due to space issues.)

It's easy to see how someone could copy and paste that, without realizing just how big it was.
justdrew

Postby Elvis » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:32 am

Thank you, justdrew!

:adore:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Allegro » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:54 am

You are the best, Drew!
We've got the music back,
Thanks to You.ImageImageImage
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:35 am

justdrew wrote:no, it was that complete leaked list of BNP party members. Which is, no doubt, still available elsewhere should anyone want it.

Sorry about that. I'll keep my christmas card list to myself in future..

:yay I broke it :praybow

Honest, apologies all round, and I'll try to be less of a fuckwit next year.

Sorry.

i feel like bradley manning now
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Stephen Morgan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:42 am

justdrew wrote:BTW - I am still unemployed, so if anyone knows a job opening for a jack-of-most-trades computer guru, let me know. I remain un-certified and un-college edumacated. :D

And how would that effect your 24/7 availability to fix major board issues? Not to be selfish or anything.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby wordspeak2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 am

Tragic that the likes of justdrew doesn't have a job in this cruel world. Someday RI will raise lots of money... by coming up with a slogan or t-shirt that goes viral or something like that. And we shall employ justdrew.
wordspeak2

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:09 am

Seamus OBlimey wrote:
justdrew wrote:no, it was that complete leaked list of BNP party members. Which is, no doubt, still available elsewhere should anyone want it.

Sorry about that. I'll keep my christmas card list to myself in future..

:yay I broke it :praybow

Honest, apologies all round, and I'll try to be less of a fuckwit next year.

Sorry.

i feel like bradley manning now

s'okay, there's no absolute proof that that was the sole source of problems, but it was the one record that the sql import failed on. heck, (of course to find that out I has to install mysql locally and bring the whole dang thing down here) and it could have been gotten around by changing a paramater on the DB server, but no way could I talk bluehost into doing that. sooo... anyway, we're all better now, until the next time :wink:

more info to come...

crap. it looks like I took out the whole thread, and possibly other ones too. going to have to look into it more. Now I think I know why too, you see, sql dump files are not record based, like a csv file. Ima hafta do a diff on these files and see if I can bring some of them back to life, should be do-able, needs to be done... but picking through 880+ meg text files is not a thing I wish on anyone, the files are so big, most crappy text editors can't handle them well.
justdrew

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks, drew. (Just adding my voice to the chorus.)
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Next

Return to General Discussion