Speculations on why socially observable time has stopped

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Speculations on why socially observable time has stopped

Postby dada » Wed May 27, 2020 4:02 pm

JackRiddler » Tue May 26, 2020 6:18 pm wrote:
dada » Tue May 26, 2020 4:23 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm wrote:
Total tangent, but it must mean something that TV Tropes is one of this universe's most elaborate, extensive and in many ways sophisticated wiki sites.

Other than that fans can love things, alot?

There's more to it than that. It wouldn't matter if the participants weren't even interested in most of the content they cite as examples. It's more to the point that obsessives can systematize things, and love doing that, or that systematizing observers acquire a sense of power over universes (fictional or "real") by the process of systematization.

Obsessive systematizers are contributing to TV Tropes in a bid for power over universes. It wouldn't matter that they are fans of, or even interested in these universes, or not. What matters is the quest for power through systematization. For the TV Tropes contributor.

How could anyone possibly argue with that?
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dada » Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm

8bitagent » Wed May 27, 2020 7:08 am wrote:This and the other older "hauntology" thread on a similar theme have been some of my favorite threads on RI. Even recently a friend called me up and said how odd it is that there's such a stark visual difference in film every decade til you get to the 2000s. The line in Arcade Fire's The Suburbs or Talking Heads Nothing But Flowers about abandoned shopping malls seems more eerily appropriate now more than ever.

And yet, Kracauer's critiques of the film industry and its product from the 1920s are just as relevant today. I have to wonder, if what he's saying has such contemporary relevance, can film have really changed so much.

But then I think, it's a medium that is barely more than a century old, how could it really have changed so much. It hasn't had the time.

For those, if any, who are interested, I recommend his collection of Weimar-era essays, 'The Mass Ornament.'

If you like that abandoned shopping malls asthetic, there's an outstanding essay in the book on the subject as well. Farewell to the Linden Arcade.' Feels like it could have been written just yesterday.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 pm

see the numbers

dada » Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm wrote:
Total tangent, but it must mean something that TV Tropes is one of this universe's most elaborate, extensive and in many ways sophisticated wiki sites.

There's more to it than that. It wouldn't matter if the participants weren't even interested in most of the content they cite as examples. It's more to the point that obsessives can systematize things, and love doing that, or that systematizing observers acquire a sense of power over universes (fictional or "real") by the process of systematization.

[1] Obsessive systematizers are contributing to TV Tropes in a bid for power over universes. [2] It wouldn't matter that they are fans of, or even interested in these universes, or not. [3] What matters is the quest for power through systematization. For the TV Tropes contributor.

Why do you do this?

1. Not a bid, a feeling. Fantasy is about feeling, often of power over a situation one doesn't have in real life. Is this a controversial thesis?
2. It wouldn't, but I didn't mean to suggest they generally aren't. Of course they are.
3. Not exclusively, didn't say that. And it's not about power in a reality. These aren't crazy people. It's about a feeling of sorting through a world. It doesn't have to be real to convey satisfaction.

Are you feeling that I'm being unjust to fans? That I'm trivializing their love?

Are you maybe big on TV Tropes? That would be great. Thanks for contributing to hours of fun reading.

Apropos of nothing, I'm a fan of plenty, and an obsessive categorizer too.

Apropos of something, did you ever read the Unabomber manifesto? I enjoy his discussion of the "power process."
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm

dada » Wed May 27, 2020 3:40 pm wrote:And yet, Kracauer's critiques of the film industry and its product from the 1920s are just as relevant today. I have to wonder, if what he's saying has such contemporary relevance, can film have really changed so much.

But then I think, it's a medium that is barely more than a century old, how could it really have changed so much. It hasn't had the time.

I would expect more changes in a new medium-technology in its first century than in its second. Not that it's a law, however.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 am

JackRiddler » Wed May 27, 2020 5:45 pm wrote:see the numbers

dada » Wed May 27, 2020 3:02 pm wrote:

[1] Obsessive systematizers are contributing to TV Tropes in a bid for power over universes. [2] It wouldn't matter that they are fans of, or even interested in these universes, or not. [3] What matters is the quest for power through systematization. For the TV Tropes contributor.

Why do you do this?

1. Not a bid, a feeling. Fantasy is about feeling, often of power over a situation one doesn't have in real life. Is this a controversial thesis?
2. It wouldn't, but I didn't mean to suggest they generally aren't. Of course they are.
3. Not exclusively, didn't say that. And it's not about power in a reality. These aren't crazy people. It's about a feeling of sorting through a world. It doesn't have to be real to convey satisfaction.

Are you feeling that I'm being unjust to fans? That I'm trivializing their love?

Are you maybe big on TV Tropes? That would be great. Thanks for contributing to hours of fun reading.

Apropos of nothing, I'm a fan of plenty, and an obsessive categorizer too.

Apropos of something, did you ever read the Unabomber manifesto? I enjoy his discussion of the "power process."

Why do I do this. I don't know, maybe I just like interacting with you, your replies are always thoughtful. It's fun.

Okay, so not a bid. A feeling of power. If people want to fantasize, I get it. I'm not the Fantasy Police. Maybe their fantasies are about escape. Escape from the world, escape into the world, all the same to me. If that's what they want to do, they get satisfaction from it, good for them.

I haven't read the unabomber manifesto. I have been a fan of this and that, I remember what it's like. My obsessive categorizing tendencies have abated greatly. Last year during my studies I decided to read up on the obsessive categorizing that is the art of Ramon Llull. I found it disappointing, a dead end for me. Systematization processes just aren't grabbing me like they used to. I think the best take away from that line of inquiry for me was something John Scotus Erigena wrote, about how the arrangement and order of categories belongs in the mind of the contemplator. The person engaged in contemplation can therefore vary the number and order of categories to suit the theories that they are building upon them. Something like that. My Latin ain't so great.

What else. No, not big on TV Tropes. I haven't been on the internet much the last few years, and from what I gather I'm not missing anything. I might look up a book, or translate a difficult phrase in one language or another. And I'm here, of course. Sometimes I'll follow a link to an article if I respect the boardmember that posted it. I never watch the youtube videos.

And no, I don't feel like you're being unjust to fans, trivializing their love, but just the opposite.
dada

Postby dada » Thu May 28, 2020 2:29 am

JackRiddler » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm wrote:
dada » Wed May 27, 2020 3:40 pm wrote:And yet, Kracauer's critiques of the film industry and its product from the 1920s are just as relevant today. I have to wonder, if what he's saying has such contemporary relevance, can film have really changed so much.

I would expect more changes in a new medium-technology in its first century than in its second. Not that it's a law, however.

Am I correct in thinking you're saying that these changes are a result of experimentation with a new medium in its first century? Like, before any laws are legislated for the new medium, it's the wild west. Things settle down once the sherriff is in town.

I can see that perspective. From the other side, the medium already comes with basic laws built in. It might take centuries of experimentation for it to mature, to realize its fullest capabilities.

It doesn't happen in a theoretical vaccuum, of course. There are all the basic limiting factors to be overcome that shape any medium. Culture, funding.

Maybe we should be clear. When we say medium-technologies, we're talking about formats for telling stories, evoking feelings, conveying ideas. We're talking about the flexibility of the format, what it is possible to tell, evoke, convey through it. And if there are more possibilities in the first century, or far beyond.

But leaving the question of medium-technologies in general aside, I'm curious if you think the particular medium of film has changed much in its first century or so.
dada

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 am

I continue to disagree strongly with the premise that socially observable time has stopped in the manner set out in the OP. Perhaps the wrong markers are being observed. The idea that references to past fashion and culture exclude evolution in those arenas is inherently false. All the old evolutions are built upon the past. The new exists only in reference (and sometimes reverence) to the old.

The perception of socially observable time having stopped is quite possibly just a symptom of being out of the loop from the part of culture where it continues to change, i.e. getting old. I would bet large sums that any random 15-year-old in any given nation/location in this wide world of ours would disagree that socially observable time has stopped and have better examples than I as to its continued observable momentum.

As far as film, the question is ripe. I wrote a reply and deleted it to hopefully consider a more accurate reply at a future date. Short answer: it has evolved more quickly than prior forms and has room to grow more, in ways we haven't yet imagined. It is possible we are now stagnating and awaiting that next break. To consider this question fully, I will need to re-immerse myself in McLuhan, or the socially-observable evolution of his thought.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Sounder » Thu May 28, 2020 7:15 am

Thanks for this dada,
Systematization processes just aren't grabbing me like they used to. I think the best take away from that line of inquiry for me was something John Scotus Erigena wrote, about how the arrangement and order of categories belongs in the mind of the contemplator. The person engaged in contemplation can therefore vary the number and order of categories to suit the theories that they are building upon them. Something like that. My Latin ain't so great.
Sounder

Postby JackRiddler » Thu May 28, 2020 7:46 am

dada » Thu May 28, 2020 1:29 am wrote:
JackRiddler » Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 pm wrote:

Am I correct in thinking you're saying that these changes are a result of experimentation with a new medium in its first century? Like, before any laws are legislated for the new medium, it's the wild west. Things settle down once the sherriff is in town.

Experimentation is part of a bigger process. More than that. Constant invention, development, discovery, even when the shaped results presented to audiences can be paradoxically repetitive, stifling, limited by a given culture and time.

Nobody knew what they'd eventually be doing with motion-picture film twenty years after they first invented such cameras in the 1890s. Even editing had to be invented! Such massive, revolutionary innovations are likelier to happen in the early phases of a medium-tech, although again it's not a law.

What huge differences to go from nickel-crank machines, to projection for audiences with orchestras to studio system, to soundtracks and talkies, to the four-hour show from newsreel to main feature inside air-conditioned palaces that are the apex entertainment and myth-making vehicles of society. This all happened in less than 30 years. Then faster film stock, cheaper color, wide-screen formats , all accompanied by further explosions of genre and ability to mass-produce features as well as to make independent productions more cheaply.

Motion picture is maybe too broad an idea to cover all that and also the entirely different set of medium-technologies common today, wherein the theater experience is the rarest mode of delivery, 98% or 99% of material arives via household/personal screen devices, less than half of these are now TV, HD video replaces film, CGI largely replaces live-shoot, etc.

And yet the biggest single thing in Angloworld entertainment by views and revenues currently going is the exact same-shit Star Wars stories of 45 years ago, as dopey as ever. Isn't that sort of the theme of this thread?

When we say medium-technologies, we're talking about formats for telling stories, evoking feelings, conveying ideas. We're talking about the flexibility of the format, what it is possible to tell, evoke, convey through it.

Not me, two different things. The medium-technologies (form of production, form of delivery) determine form and content and reception of the story-product (as is understood in modern media theory), and yet formats for telling stories or conveying information clearly cross media, so that epic, drama, comedy, short story, novel, serial, love story, didactic, religious play, documentary, are have been done in countless variations in all possible media. That's why "TV Tropes" is mostly not about TV shows. The tropes often go back through recorded civilization.

So I'm not sure what you mean.

But leaving the question of medium-technologies in general aside, I'm curious if you think the particular medium of film has changed much in its first century or so.

Enormously, dramatically, in every period, so that it's debatable whether we should speak of one particular "medium of film" or a dozen or more.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 am

mentalgongfu2 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:59 am wrote:I continue to disagree strongly with the premise that socially observable time has stopped in the manner set out in the OP.

You're right. I don't know why people keep bumping this one instead of the Hauntology thread, which OP describes the phenomenon much better. This is not about social or individual experience of time, the physical reality, or only partly about how we experience that in different cultural contexts.

It is definitely not about the "end of history," as new and in many ways unprecedented events keep coming.

It is about the exhaustion of a specific culture (the one we are participating in just by being here), and possibly about the ways in which cultures exhaust over time, generally if not uniformly.

In my opinion it is definitely about the unprecedented way in which this exhaustion currently is happening concurrently with the impact of blanket recording on cultures generally. The exponential growth and variety of recorded media is definitely a new factor of the last 150 years.

The idea that references to past fashion and culture exclude evolution in those arenas is inherently false. All the old evolutions are built upon the past. The new exists only in reference (and sometimes reverence) to the old.

True, but conditional. Obviously some things are invented or emergent for there to be something building upon them. The enactment of a variation excludes some of the originality of the next version, which can still combine other material into something new. At some point diminishing returns do set in. You can only sack Rome so many times, you know?

I would argue there really is an artistic cycle that goes from a moment of creation (determined by timing and environment usually more than inspiration or genius) that prefigures and evolves to a peak, followed by variations and complexifications and recyclings and retros and new subcurrents. In this baroques and post-moderns or neo-classicals and examples of new archaics that don't reach fruition can last many times longer than all archaic-to-classical peak periods put together.

The perception of socially observable time having stopped is quite possibly just a symptom of being out of the loop from the part of culture where it continues to change, i.e. getting old. I would bet large sums that any random 15-year-old in any given nation/location in this wide world of ours would disagree that socially observable time has stopped and have better examples than I as to its continued observable momentum.

oh absolutely! Why this discussion must distinguish between real experience (insofar as it can be known), subjective impression, and cultural development.

I do think the exponential accumulation of recorded material and its instantaneous availability via a single media network spanning from the ocean floor to the mountaintops and the space stations is a factor that accelerates the effects of diminishing return and deja vu that impact all subjectivities over time.

And if they don't die, everyone who's fifteen is soon enough thirty and then forty-five, sixty and seventy-five, and thus subject to both the effects of getting old as well as the present-era effects that come from the multiplication and constant, repeated consumption/playthrough/systematization of recorded cultural artifacts in which the 90s seem to be as accessible as the 10s or to an extent everything from the 60s to the 80s, with the 20s through the 50s also plentifully accessible.

(This is not a universal, of course -- I hear there are people living almost entirely outside the medium-world. But I will guarantee you that this incredible survey finding of the 1980s, that the number of people in India who had no knowledge of the existence of the United States exceeded the then-population of the latter, is far from the case today. Some nth-degree of global media-audience convergence has happened and continues. Fucking Avengers opens simultaneously in 17 time zones, etc.)

As far as film, the question is ripe. I wrote a reply and deleted it to hopefully consider a more accurate reply at a future date. Short answer: it has evolved more quickly than prior forms and has room to grow more, in ways we haven't yet imagined. It is possible we are now stagnating and awaiting that next break. To consider this question fully, I will need to re-immerse myself in McLuhan, or the socially-observable evolution of his thought.

Or watch some movies. There's such a variety of stuff and ways to approach and categorize that theoretically there will never be a shortage of things to say, including many opposite things that are both true. Thus I really appreciated dada's comments, especially the second one below:

dada wrote:I have been a fan of this and that, I remember what it's like. My obsessive categorizing tendencies have abated greatly. Last year during my studies I decided to read up on the obsessive categorizing that is the art of Ramon Llull. I found it disappointing, a dead end for me. Systematization processes just aren't grabbing me like they used to.

All also true of me. And yet they used to grab me, and apparently you too. And for me, and I think for most, this is a satisfying enactment of a power process however vicarious or fantasy-oriented. I don't really control the world (or a fictional universe that I didn't even author myself) but get the pleasurable/satisfying feeling that I do by sorting it and mapping it, in effect re-creating it. However inconsequential that generally is.

I think the best take away from that line of inquiry for me was something John Scotus Erigena wrote, about how the arrangement and order of categories belongs in the mind of the contemplator. The person engaged in contemplation can therefore vary the number and order of categories to suit the theories that they are building upon them.

Exactly what I was thinking. Pure positivism is fallacious and knowledge really is produced. And that's a power process that gives satisfaction, until it starts to give less and eventually doesn't, since it's also subject to
been-there-done-that,
seen someone else do it better,
enjoyed their version more,
done it but the returns diminish,
did it but a more insistent reality falsified it,
did it and passed it on to those who kept doing it,
did it and didn't pass it on,
realized I wasn't the same person who did it then
and no one was or ever was the same constant entity,
getting old and more willing to just accept
things unfold with or without you,
achievement is overrated or actually not the point,
or it's overrated as individual accomplishment,
there is greater satisfaction in peace,
so it goes
etc.

Peace.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Thu May 28, 2020 12:31 pm

In my experience, peace comes from satisfaction, and not the other way around. I derive satisfaction in knowing the world of the soul, through direct vision, and through a penetration into successive layers of certain texts. I know that other people have different ideas of what satisfaction is for them, and different ways of getting there. But that's what works for me.

I think what John Scotus may have been getting at is that since the categories, which are necessary, fit the theories, and the order and the quantity of categories are variable, it becomes the qualities that matter. Virtuous theories lead to virtuous categories. Divine theories, divine categories. Therefore all is not lost because the categories are subjective. The focus has shifted, the emphasis is on what is being categorized. The integrity, the goodness of the categories that follow reflect the integrity, the goodness of the theories. He's a religious phiosopher, contemplating god in theory.

A case can, and certainly is, made that film has come a long way from nickel-crank machines. But if I could borrow a film technique, the time-lapse, where car lights enlongate and merge into streaks, and people jitter by in halting rhythms. From here, the differences, the changes are much less pronounced. We got camera, lights, action. The viewer, the screen. What we see as significant changes only begin to appear as perception attenuates.

I wonder, though I doubt, if my opinion of modern media studies as a form of glorified fandom would be welcome here. So I'll say film as a subject is endlessly fascinating, isn't it. Something we can all agree on.

Neither here nor there, but this discussion is reminding me of Walter Benjamin's book, The Origins of German Tragedy. I seriously think it may be the greatest book I've ever read, I can't think of a better one. On the baroque 'mourning play,' and how it contrasts with classical tragedy. A masterful handling of a difficult, obscure subject, taking an original, groundbreaking idea from start to full flowering. It was his 'rehabilitation,' like what we'd call his post-doctoral thesis, and it was rejected.

I'm sure that many people knew exactly what they'd do with film as soon as it arrived on the scene, make pornography.
dada

Postby kelley » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

the universe is shrinking

it's possible the 'observation' in question is a reflection of this in cultural terms

which may generally be quantified and/or qualified in terms of innovation or style and the like on the 'human' end

but more and more it seems the species is on its way out

and there's a new 'time' being ushered in

as it were

it might be another multicellular post-anthropocene field or a machinic landscape where AI inherits the earth as mammals once did

in my darkest thoughts the latter occupies a special place in my mind as this virus rewrites codes of conduct and possibly the concept of 'history' itself
kelley

Postby dada » Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I think the refusal to include the subjective experience of time in the discussion creates more problems than it solves. By dismissing it, we're left with no time that isn't socially observable. Socially observable time then becomes our subjective experience, set over and against chronological time. Fine, except for the fact that real, chronological time is also a 'socially observable time.'

If we reintroduce the subjective experience of your time, which isn't socially observable at all, now we have a baseline from which to work. Chronological time is now socially observable time. And it only stops, if it stops, at the point where your subjective experience of time begins.

Can chronological time stop? For example, the prophet tipped over a water jug just before he was carried up to heaven. When he returned after the vision, the water jug still hadn't yet hit the ground. His experience lasted for hours, yet no time had passed. He didn't age chronologically, but he experienced hours of time. No chronological time passed for the duration of the vision.
dada

Postby kelley » Sat May 30, 2020 8:56 am

Earlier this week I sat looking across a small bay on the edge of Lake Ontario, far north of New York City near the Canadian border. It had been an unseasonably hot, still day, but as the sun began to set, its position in the sky cast a particularly hard, clear, cool glare across the water. A slight breeze arose. It began to agitate the surface of the bay, and the flickering of shadow and light created a mesmerizing interplay as small waves lapped against a nearby seawall. The reflection off the bay illuminated the foliage of a large maple at the water’s edge, casting brightness from below as the tree's leaves began to flutter and dance in the shade. This added to the layered, aleatory complexity of pattern and movement, which now resembled a kind of vivid scrim bordering on the holographic. A flash of clarity suggested this wasn’t something I was observing; my self dissolved, and was implicated within the moment, where matter was linked across an infinite network of massive effect.

It seems a sense of duration is somewhat different from an overall perception of time, or of the construction of it. The durational may be that which underlies the construct of the world not as it exists, but as it is experienced. The qualities of experience are varied. This might be evidence of what's called 'subjectivity'. It’s not possible to describe the core of the world as such, at least using the conventional terms which provide a scaffolding for that ‘consensual hallucination’ we agree to describe as 'the world'. Language exists to differentiate. When stripped of its efficacy, it begins to lose its purpose. It works best when excavating strata of sediment, but past this is of very little help.

Capital, which resembles a language, one with an interest in an endless replication of that which already exists, has brought the human species to the brink of profound change. That word in itself, ‘change’, is likely flawed in its usage, and in its understanding, since Heraclitus adopted a synonym of it many, many years ago . . . And there I go again. Supposing something about the nature of a time to which I’m not privy, save in an ancestral manner shared with a common cohort.

I forgot to mention the dog was sitting with me at the water.
kelley

Postby dada » Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 am

Subjective experience isn't able to comprehend the objective world through its subjectivity, but maybe it can through its capacity to be one thing. The qualities of experience are varied, but each is one quality. The core of the world is one core. This one-ness is what they have in common. One might say 'like can only be understood by like.'

For a thought exercise along this line, I'd go with Plato's Parmenides. There's some humorous moments, at times it reads like Abbot and Costello. But it can be pretty exciting, too. Like, 'oh, what a miracle is man' exciting.
dada

Previous

Return to General Discussion