The Hum.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Hum.

Postby elfismiles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Cordelia ... another good thread on this subject.

Cordelia » 18 Aug 2017 18:03 wrote:Forgot about this thread I started back in 2009 about the 'Taos Hum'.

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... =8&t=25737

(Haven't 'heard' the hum in the last few years.)
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

The Song of the Talking Wire Henry F. Farny

It's the sound one hears from speakers when the sound is turned all the way down. The 60 cycle per second, 60 Hz hum indicating an electrical current. AC is alternating direction, out of phase, I believe. The more I write, the less sense I make of it. Don't know how this would differ in Europe, which operates their grid at a different, higher voltage current than our 120V system

If my theory was right, we'd always hear the hum. So it's gotta be wrong.

Never mind!
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm in the early phases (pun intended) of studying elecrical engineering, so I understand just enough to be dangerous. That said, AC transmission in the U.S. is out of phase, ideally by 90 degrees for each phase, which allows multiple voltages to be sent on the same wires in a typical 3 phase system (of which there are several types).

Some electrical hums may result from "standing waves" that can develop on transmission lines under certain conditions. Or so I speculate. I've been on summer break, so my mind is rusty at the moment.

The mathematical concepts involved can be quite daunting even with the tools and formulas already developed. It astounds me how the electrical pioneers figured them out in the first place.

The basic concepts, however, specifically the relationships between electricity and magnetism, do lend creedence to the idea of particular locations that exhibit unusual characterics due to the Earth's electro-magnetic field and the condictivity/flux of the surrounding geology amd topopgraphy.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for being more precise, mentalgongfu2. Yes, ideally, at 90 degrees. I purposely didn't mention 3-phase circuitry before some understanding of the particle/wave movement of electrons had been established.

I think I was alluding to our commonplace electrical lines hung between poles acting like HAARP, but if in phase, could sympathetic vibrations be induced in wires set at a distance that could create what seems to be being described as low frequency audible sounds that vary somewhat in pitch. Just a brain fart ~
Iamwhomiam

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 pm

I think I was alluding to our commonplace electrical lines hung between poles acting like HAARP, but if in phase, could sympathetic vibrations be induced in wires set at a distance that could create what seems to be being described as low frequency audible sounds that vary somewhat in pitch. Just a brain fart ~

I'm not sure you're entirely off base, but like I said, my understanding is muddled since I haven't studied the material in several months and wasn't anywhere near expert level even when it was fresh of mind. Classes resume Monday, and I do have one instructor who seems to have a deep grasp of such things - perhaps I will bring up the general idea with him.

Since I live in an agricultural area, I do know that many farmers take major issue when high-voltage, long-distance transmission lines are routed across their properties. Not only because of the frequent use of eminent domain and what they view as insufficient financial compensation for the land lost, and I haven't heard much about hum sounds specifically as a concern, but because livestock producers especially (but also row crop farmers) say they have observed ill effects on their cattle and hogs (or corn and beans, as the case may be), and sometimes ill effects on themselves and family members depending on proximity. Which would make theoretical sense at least, given that electricity=magnetism, and biological/physiological functions are known to respond in various ways to electro-magnetic waves.

I hope this isn't considered veering off topic, as I suspect the seemingly natural occurrence of odd Hums may result from the same type of interactions induced by those caused by artificial human constructions.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 pm

There was a movie made, I think in the '70s, about a community battling high tension high voltage power lines. One memorable scene is of a person standing below the high wires holding a 4'fluorescent tube, brightly lit by the wires surrounding EMF. You should try it sometime.

I don't know, but I was really worried going into an MRI the first time. MRIs aligns all your hydrogen atoms. Something like that.

I thought it might 'straighten me out', whatever that means.

:backtotopic:
Iamwhomiam

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Iamwhomiam » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 pm wrote: MRIs aligns all your hydrogen atoms.

Jonathan Gardner, BS in Physics ~

Magnetic fields have very little, if any, affect on any organism. It's not hard to see why: magnetic fields have little effect on *anything*. Unless you're a charged particle moving at very high rates of speed, the magnetic forces you will experience are practically zero.

The dangers of MRI machines have to do with having anything with iron nearby. The magnets are so powerful that just a few ounces of iron can be deadly. Iron is special: It reacts to magnetic fields such that it multiplies their power. It is pretty much unique in this regard. No other element is like iron. The rest are hardly noticeable diamagnets or paramagnets.

I want to correct a small misconception you have. It's not the protons that are aligned. It's the hydrogen atoms. Hydrogen atoms consist of a probability cloud of a single electron around a proton. This cloud can either have a spin up or spin down. Depending on which spin it has, it will have a magnetic moment pointing up or down. Other atoms have more than one electron around them, and so have very, very weak magnetic moments and interact with the powerful magnetic fields only slightly. When you apply a powerful magnetic field, the hydrogen atoms will align with the magnetic field. When the field is removed, the hydrogen atoms go back to one or the other spins, emitting a very faint signal that the electronics in the MRI machine can detect.

EDIT: The above paragraph is partially wrong. The electrons are affected by the magnetic field, but MRI actually relies on the proton magnetization.

Now, if I were able to create a powerful magnetic field and *rapidly* alternate it, I would be able to create radio waves. However, the amount of power required would be enormous compared to more typical ways of creating radio waves. The frequencies would also be so low that they wouldn't even interact with your body, it being far too small. But that's not what is happening in an MRI machine. A magnetic field is created, then released. The loud clicking you may hear is a single toggle from off to on. The fact you can hearing the clicking and buzzing means there are no harmful EM radiation.

MRIs do not cause chemical reactions. They do not touch your DNA, nor do they interfere with the normal function of any of the chemicals or proteins or such in your body. This is very different from, say, an X-ray, which has enough energy to knock an electron out of orbit around an atom, or knock an entire atom out of a chemical bond. Thus, an X-Ray can change the chemical property of a molecule and could have profound effects. What little iron you do have in your body is spread out and isolated so that the atoms cannot align to create the effect that chunks of iron normally have.

I am not a doctor, but I have a BS in physics and I know what kind of forces I am talking about. As long as you thoroughly inspect yourself for any kind of metal objects before approaching the MRI machine, you will be perfectly fine

https://www.quora.com/How-is-it-that-an-MRI-can-align-the-hydrogen-atoms-in-your-body-along-the-direction-of-the-magnetic-field-yet-this-alignment-causes-no-known-effects-on-a-molecular-scale-Why-isnt-your-biochemistry-disrupted-on-a-noticeable-level-Arent-there-vital-hydrogen-bonds-in-your-cells-or-in-proteins-that
Burnt Hill

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 am

It's difficult to tell what is being quoted from your own words, BH. This bit a quote: "want to correct a small misconception you have. It's not the protons that are aligned. It's the hydrogen atoms." or your words?

Not sure who's talking, BH. I'm pretty familiar with MRIs and how they function. The tiniest sliver of a burr thrown off from grinding metal and buried deep in your skin could migrate and do all sorts of damage when the magnet is operational. I had to undergo a full body series of x-rays before being cleared for an MRI. My concern was knowing I've pulled steel splinters from my eyes several times, could I have missed any?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:15 am

Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 am wrote:It's difficult to tell what is being quoted from your own words, BH. This bit a quote: "want to correct a small misconception you have. It's not the protons that are aligned. It's the hydrogen atoms." or your words?

Not sure who's talking, BH. I'm pretty familiar with MRIs and how they function. The tiniest sliver of a burr thrown off from grinding metal and buried deep in your skin could migrate and do all sorts of damage when the magnet is operational. I had to undergo a full body series of x-rays before being cleared for an MRI. My concern was knowing I've pulled steel splinters from my eyes several times, could I have missed any?

You are right Iam, that was confusing.
The entire passage is quoting Jonathan Gardner, in response to another's questions on MRI's.
.None of it my words.

And yes, the Iron shavings in your eyes, or under your skin are a real risk.
Burnt Hill

Postby Elvis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm

I've always speculated that the Hum came from underground tunnel-boring machines (which I'd guess are in constant use in any case). But some interesting theories coming up here, it's perplexing.

I don't recall ever hearing such a Hum.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Re: Mystery Hum Master Thread

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am

Here is video of my presentation to the Anomaly Archives monthly meetup circa September 2017 about his February 2016 Mystery Hum Experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgKSm5eCg4

http://www.anomalyarchives.org/public-h ... m-lecture/

elfismiles » 17 Aug 2017 20:03 wrote:Miles' and Mack's Mystery Hum Experiences discussed on PsiOp-Radio 184 - 170402

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNw-vBw3W8M

PsiOp Radio 184 – 170402

Mystery Hummmm Mind Control

Meanwhile, in this week’s Anomaly News round-up there are several articles of interest including a New York Times article, United States of Paranoia, about the people who feel they are the victims of Gang-Stalking. That article even touches on those who feel they are being attacked by E.L.F. mind control technology and Mystery Hum related phenomena. Two years ago, Jared Keller wrote another excellent and comprehensive article on the Mystery Hums that also touched on the mind control element but also documents the various research into finding the sounds ultimate source. Earlier this year, I myself experienced a series of mysterious deep humming like effects over a period of time. In this week’s news round-up we also have a new article from The Guardian about the Windsor Hum.

SOURCE: Anomaly Archives eNews 6/15/2016 | Anomaly Archives
http://www.anomalyarchives.org/public-h ... s-6152016/

SMiles’ experience entry in The World Hum Map and Database

Do you know what it is? Mystery surrounds ‘hum’ in Cromer
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/do-you-know ... -1-4936660

Anomaly Archives: Mystery Hums / Sounds
http://www.anomalyarchives.org/public-h ... tery-hums/

TheHum.info – The World Hum Map and Database by Glen MacPherson, British Columbia
http://www.thehum.info / https://hummap.wordpress.com

What is causing the mysterious worldwide hum’? – Al Jazeera (Youtube.com Video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuSdzxhWpU0

Cracking the mystery of the ‘Worldwide Hum’ – Glen MacPherson Lecturer, University of British Columbia, TheConversation.com
https://theconversation.com/cracking-th ... -hum-60296

A Maddening Sound Is the Hum, a mysterious noise heard around the world, science or mass delusion? Colin Dickey, NewRepublic.com
https://newrepublic.com/article/132128/maddening-sound

http://www.psiopradio.com/2017/04/psiop ... 84-170402/

See also...
search.php?keywords=%22mystery+hum%22
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 am

The Atlantic Selects
The Unexplained Noise 2 Percent of People Can Hear
A man is tormented by a low-frequency humming sound emanating from his house, which he believes is caused by a nearby gas pipeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwE8kIBd1xY
video by Garret Harkawik

posted by Emily Buder
Jul 18, 2019

Some describe it as sounding like an engine idling just outside the house. Others report hearing a low-frequency rumble. But almost everyone who can hear it—2 percent of the population, by some estimates—agrees on one thing: “the hum,” as it has come to be called, is a persistent, maddening noise for which the scientific world has no known explanation.

Since it was first reported in Bristol, England, in 1970, this elusive phenomenon has plagued thousands of people across the globe, slowly eroding their sanity. One of them is Steve Kohlhase, an industrial-facilities mechanical engineer living in Brookfield, Connecticut. In Garret Harkawik’s short documentary Doom Vibrations, Kohlhase describes the noise: “Your ears are ringing real bad. If it’s a bad day, it feels like your brain is being squeezed. It’s nauseating.” Kohlhase says his dog, too, seems to suffer from the noise; once Kohlhase started hearing it, the canine became lethargic, and has never recovered.

In the film, Kohlhase lays out the extensive evidence he has collected on the unexplained noise pollution. The quest for answers has consumed him; he estimates that he has spent $30,000 on legal fees and equipment related to his independent investigation. The single through line in all reported cases Kohlhase has studied, he says, is that the locations are along high-pressure gas pipelines, or at least in close proximity to them.

The phenomenon has spawned many conspiracy theories. Sufferers, known as “hummers,” have pointed fingers at sources such as electrical power lines, wireless communication devices, and low-frequency electromagnetic radiation. For decades, doctors dismissed patients’ complaints as tinnitus, an auditory problem that affects 15 percent of people. But the latest research suggests that the noise is not a hallucination and that many hummers do not suffer from impaired hearing.

Dr. David Baguley, an audiologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, estimates that about a third of cases can be attributed to environmental causes, such as industrial machinery at a nearby factory. But the majority of cases remain unexplained. Baguley himself believes that many of his patients suffer from extreme sensitivity to signals outside the normal range of human hearing.

“I think most people view the hum as a fringe belief,” Harkawik told me, “because it’s so subjective—people say they hear something that most people can’t hear. But when you look at the vast number of people who say they hear it, it’s obvious that there’s something going on.”

So, does the filmmaker subscribe to Kohlhase’s gas-pipeline theory? “Some parts are definitely believable; others less so,” Harkawik said. He admits that some of Kohlhase’s wilder extrapolations veer into conspiracy-theory territory. “I don’t think we will ever know for sure, though, since it would require an extraordinary amount of coordination and work to prove it.”

But Harkawik was drawn to Kohlhase’s story regardless of the relative plausibility of his claims. “When I make something about a person with unusual beliefs, I no longer go into it thinking, What will it be like if they realize they’re wrong?” he said. “I spend more time on how they arrived at their beliefs and what of myself I see in them.”

In this case, the filmmaker identified with Kohlhase’s obsessive devotion to his project, despite the fact that it had very little broad appeal. “The response to his research was underwhelming to him, but the people he has positively impacted keep him going,” Harkawik said. “I often feel the same way about documentary film—I spend years on a project, inevitably feel underwhelmed by the response, but ultimately keep working because one or two people email me to say it meant something to them. I think most creative people would identify with Steve’s story.”
Emily Buder is a film curator at The Atlantic.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/video/593992/
elfismiles

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:46 am

https://www.fox4news.com/news/nine-torn ... orth-texas

Many of you have probably heard about the storms in N Texas Sunday around 9:30. There were a total of 9 tornados, but fortunately, 7 were F 1 and 0. Where I'm located it started with some crazy lightning with the majority of it cloud to cloud. I decided to sit on the patio and watch. There was a huge cloud mass to the west which I presumed to be the front line itself. While I was sitting there, I began to hear a low roaring sound. At first I thought it was a tornado and began to scan the skies for one. However, I never saw anything and the sound continued without changing direction or volume. I've never heard anything like that during a thunderstorm. I had to go back inside upon receiving a tornado warning for my immediate area. After going through one that came right up my backyard 12/26/15, I take these things seriously.

Anyone else living up here observe anything strange during this weather event?
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Cordelia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Pele'sDaughter wrote:https://www.fox4news.com/news/nine-tornadoes-confirmed-from-sunday-night-outbreak-across-north-texas

Many of you have probably heard about the storms in N Texas Sunday around 9:30. There were a total of 9 tornados, but fortunately, 7 were F 1 and 0. Where I'm located it started with some crazy lightning with the majority of it cloud to cloud. I decided to sit on the patio and watch. There was a huge cloud mass to the west which I presumed to be the front line itself. While I was sitting there, I began to hear a low roaring sound. At first I thought it was a tornado and began to scan the skies for one. However, I never saw anything and the sound continued without changing direction or volume. I've never heard anything like that during a thunderstorm. I had to go back inside upon receiving a tornado warning for my immediate area. After going through one that came right up my backyard 12/26/15, I take these things seriously.

Not in Texas or this past weekend, but last month the sky suddenly darkened and I anticipated a thunder storm, only it never came. I just heard a roaring sound like you mentioned. It was unlike anything I'd ever heard before--didn't sound 'natural' but almost mechanical. The sky then turned a greenish-yellow but no tornado, no wind, no thunder. Then it was over. Strange.

Glad you're okay.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Great to see you / hear from you PD! Glad you are okay. And thanks to both of you for chiming in...

Yeah, there have been some interesting quake related news headlines of late in Texas:

Four earthquakes rattle Texas in less than 24 hours, geologists say
BY DAWSON WHITE
OCTOBER 01, 2019 07:56 AM, UPDATED OCTOBER 01, 2019 10:55 AM
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/nati ... 63322.html

Three earthquakes in less than 12 hours rattle western Texas, experts say
BY DAWSON WHITE
OCTOBER 21, 2019 08:56 AM, UPDATED OCTOBER 21, 2019 08:56 AM
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/stat ... 78923.html

Strong storms generating earthquake-like seismic activity
Date: October 15, 2019
Source: Florida State University
Summary: Researcher have uncovered a new geophysical phenomenon where a hurricane or other strong storm can spark seismic events in the nearby ocean as strong as a 3.5 magnitude earthquake.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 115401.htm

Pele'sDaughter » 23 Oct 2019 11:46 wrote:https://www.fox4news.com/news/nine-tornadoes-confirmed-from-sunday-night-outbreak-across-north-texas

elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion