The Hum.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Hum.

Postby elfismiles » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks PD!

"Mystery solved? Annoying hum in Monterey Bay may be toadfish's sex call"

Pele'sDaughter » 23 Sep 2014 21:47 wrote:http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_26188830?source=inthenews

PACIFIC GROVE - It's "odd," "disturbing" and keeping Pacific Grove residents up at night..
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:30 pm

coffin_dodger » 25 Jan 2015 13:35 wrote:

New undergarments required. I'd have been off that beach in a flash.
elfismiles

Postby RocketMan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:04 am

elfismiles » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:30 am wrote:
coffin_dodger » 25 Jan 2015 13:35 wrote:

New undergarments required. I'd have been off that beach in a flash.

Weeeelll I can tell you that the sounds were added in post-production on that one. :) Not that the original footage without the added sounds wasn't creepy in itself.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Seems logical and probable but what indicates the post-production layer?

RocketMan » 27 Jan 2015 08:04 wrote:Weeeelll I can tell you that the sounds were added in post-production on that one. :) Not that the original footage without the added sounds wasn't creepy in itself.
elfismiles

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:44 am

I'm no audiovisual expert but what I am is a Finn and I remember when the original clip was published. :partydance: It was just people freaking out as the storm silently gathered. Now that I remember it, that was creepy as hell, too.

They did a very good job on the clip I think, I'd prefer if they didn't present it as authentic.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:48 am

Which makes me wonder ... with YouTube's "Content ID" music identifier algorithms monetizing/protecting aural copyrights and with google images reverse / match lookup feature ... is there a similar publicly available video image matching search engine one could use to match these hoaxes that utilize previously available layers?

RocketMan » 28 Jan 2015 10:44 wrote:I'm no audiovisual expert but what I am is a Finn and I remember when the original clip was published. :partydance: It was just people freaking out as the storm silently gathered. Now that I remember it, that was creepy as hell, too.

They did a very good job on the clip I think, I'd prefer if they didn't present it as authentic.
elfismiles

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 am

Without traversing the edges, the center is unknowable.
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:50 am

Hugo! Thank you SO MUCH for that link!

EDIT to add: SERIOUSLY! Thank you SO MUCH for this ... I suffered through a period of experiencing this earlier this year and so far this is one of the best articles I've read on this. :thumbsup

Also, RE: my old question about video matching tool...

elfismiles » 28 Jan 2015 15:48 wrote:Which makes me wonder ... with YouTube's "Content ID" music identifier algorithms monetizing/protecting aural copyrights and with google images reverse / match lookup feature ... is there a similar publicly available video image matching search engine one could use to match these hoaxes that utilize previously available layers?

... Researcher "Isaac Koi" (http://www.isaackoi.com) ... recently brought such a tool to my attention:

https://inteltechniques.com/OSINT/reverse.video.html
elfismiles

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:41 pm

elfismiles » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 am wrote:Hugo! Thank you SO MUCH for that link!

EDIT to add: SERIOUSLY! Thank you SO MUCH for this ... I suffered through a period of experiencing this earlier this year and so far this is one of the best articles I've read on this. :thumbsup

Also, RE: my old question about video matching tool...

elfismiles » 28 Jan 2015 15:48 wrote:Which makes me wonder ... with YouTube's "Content ID" music identifier algorithms monetizing/protecting aural copyrights and with google images reverse / match lookup feature ... is there a similar publicly available video image matching search engine one could use to match these hoaxes that utilize previously available layers?

... Researcher "Isaac Koi" (http://www.isaackoi.com) ... recently brought such a tool to my attention:

https://inteltechniques.com/OSINT/reverse.video.html

You are very welcome! I don't suffer from this, but I sense a "roar" that disappears when I leave Houston for an extended period. I call it the "Houston Roar". I have a pet theory about the Hum. It's possible that the upcoming reversal in the Earth's geomagnetic field may be the culprit. No evidence to support this whatsoever.
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:03 am

Vindication at last, if humans can detect geomagnetism then there is at least some kind of foundation for my pet theory. This just got posted on phys.org (please note the word "possible"): http://phys.org/news/2016-06-evidence-human-ability-earth-magnetic.html

Could the upcoming reversal and monostability of the earth's magnetic domains be the cause of the "hum"?
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:01 am

Hugo Farnsworth » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:03 am wrote:Vindication at last, if humans can detect geomagnetism then there is at least some kind of foundation for my pet theory. This just got posted on phys.org (please note the word "possible"): http://phys.org/news/2016-06-evidence-human-ability-earth-magnetic.html

Could the upcoming reversal and monostability of the earth's magnetic domains be the cause of the "hum"?

I enjoyed reading at that link Hugo Farnsworth. One minor problem is the idea that dogs orient themselves North to South to urinate. I've had dogs forever and have also heard this before- and have seen no evidence of this.
Just this morning one of my dogs lined up East/West one West/East and the other ran out back!
I know how anecdotal this is but its real life evidence.
The same thing has been said of cows grazing and what I have seen is that they align themselves with the prevailing winds and best availability to fresh grass.
I guess environment is the first factor in these behaviors, not sure if and when magnetic fields come in to play.
I don't doubt that animals have an inherent ability to detect magnetic fields, obvious in birds,
I just doubt that premise on dogs, and cows.
Minor point, I know, carry on!
Burnt Hill

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:14 am

It seems he's confused urination with defecation. Dogs will pee while facing any direction, but they almost always poop while facing north.

Perhaps needless to say, but I didn't believe it, so I observed several dogs over a period of a week and damn if it wasn't true more often than not!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Novem5er » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 am

Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:14 am wrote:It seems he's confused urination with defecation. Dogs will pee while facing any direction, but they almost always poop while facing north.

Perhaps needless to say, but I didn't believe it, so I observed several dogs over a period of a week and damn if it wasn't true more often than not!

Huh. I have a couple dogs of various breeds and they poop every day. I'll have to check that out now :p

On a related note, I had a disturbing encounter a few years ago with animals and polarity. Florida is home to large cockroaches called Palmetto Bugs. They grow to be about three inches long and live mostly in the woods where they eat decaying wood. Unfortunately they also get in our houses on occasion, where they will eat cardboard and foodstuffs. Thankfully they aren't as persistent as German cockroaches, but at three inches long (and flying!) they can give quite the start when encountered in the kitchen at midnight :p

One night a few years back I went into my backyard for some reason. We have a 6-foot tall wood fence that separated our yard from our neighbors. Directly behind my house was a 1,000-acre plot of woodlands, which means palmetto bugs crawl all over. In the moonlight I noticed a shadow crawling on the fence and I went to investigate. What I found perturbed me.

Atop each of the 6-foot fence posts was a palmetto bug, each standing perfectly still and each facing directly south. Not one bug, not two, but six of them in a row, each one separated by 6 feet of fencing. They were like soldiers guarding a wall. The moon was high in the sky, and full enough that I could see everything clearly at night. I've spoken to dozens of Florida natives about this and nobody has ever seen similar behavior, but then, when would they? People either run from these bugs or smash them on site. I went back for a few nights and never saw the bugs doing this ever again.

Among the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Novem5er

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

^^^^ They were praying. You were privileged to witness such a ceremony, so rarely observed by humans.
Iamwhomiam

Postby norton ash » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:11 pm

My wee dog took a dump just this morning with his arse pointed at the rising sun. He's a bohemian, though.
Zen horse
norton ash

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion