How Gravity Works ?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Gravity Works ?

Postby slimmouse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm

slimmouse wrote:
slomo wrote: Where I am personally unwilling to go is discussing concepts that are framed in terms of existing theories but clearly nonsense when considered from within those theories (e.g. theories of gravity that apply Newtonian physics at quantum scales). I doubt many other scientists (who are usually more intellectually conservative than I) would disagree with my position, other than to say that I am being too open minded by considering anything fringe at all.

Well I dont actually have a dog in this fight. I aint sold on it by any means - I just like it albeit for what you and the vast majority of scientists would appear to consider nonsensical reasons ,the worst of which being of course that otherwise, once again we appear to be left with the usual , "well we think we know how gravity works, we just cant explain it in any way that would make any sense to you ".

I guess it didnt seem to matter much furthermore be it Macroscopic or Microscopic that it was Einsteins equations that led to the splitting of the atom and the nuclear bomb ? Or is that yet another exclusion in both your own and ( I have no doubt ) the vast majority of "Sciences" opinion "nonsensical" view of Cotterells theory ?

What happens WRT the strange goings on and hidden influences in quantum mechanics when those little biddy atoms are imploded ? My best guess is that they dont have any choice in the matter. So why should that be any different WRT Cotterells ideas ?
Last edited by slimmouse on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:51 pm

bks wrote:
elfi wrote:

If you think you might be dreaming, try raising both legs off the ground simultaneously ... if you float (defying gravity) you are probably dreaming.

I would say if you can tell yourself to "try" anything in order to determine whether you're dreaming, then you're not dreaming. Dreaming happens to you, kinda like gravity. It's precondition is its seeming reality at the time its occurring. Any awareness one has that one might be dreaming signals a state other than a dream state. Maybe you're lucid dreaming, but I think lucid dreaming is a misnomer. "Lucid dreaming" is a form of being awake [even though it is not defined as such]; dreaming is not.

I've been thinking about this because I had the alarm clock dream again the other day.

I've had this dream at least 20 times and probably more like 50. In the alarm clock dream, an alarm clock goes off. I hit snooze. This doesn't work. The alarm keeps ringing, and it's killing me. So I unplug it. I fumble with opening the battery case and finally remove the batteries. I am astonished that it is still ringing. Sometimes, like the other day, I engage in speculation about why this is happening: Does the clock have a transformer that must discharge fully before it stops? Is someone playing a trick on me? Are laws of physics being violated? At times I have submerged the alarm clock in water, hidden it in airtight containers, smashed it, thrown it around the room, asked others to help me, and so on. In all cases it continues to ring.

At this point you probably need not be told that every time I had this dream, a real alarm clock was actually going off, and of course nothing I'd do could stop it short of my actually waking up and stopping it. You've also possibly guessed that I keep alarm clocks on the other side of the room, because anything within arm's reach will never achieve the intended aim of waking me up.

Am I dreaming is the one obvious question that I've never asked during the alarm clock dream. Which, given how often this has happened, you would think by now would have also happened. I never know it's a dream until it's over. So I have yet to turn this into a lucid dreaming experience, as Mr. Robert Anton Wilson once recommended to me (in a book, not a person) as the thing to do whenever you realize you're dreaming.

In the dream I hear the real alarm clock noise, which functions as a metronome in allowing me to judge afterward how long the dream lasted. My alarm clock dreams have definitely exceeded the supposed maximum 10 seconds of dream activity, and have run up to 20 or 30 seconds. Which is a lot of opportunity to create the universe as you would have it, if you can take command of the dream - assuming you can also decide that the alarm clock noise is a beautiful necessity.

I think bks is right, however. What is called lucid dreaming is a still-waking state of colorful imagining you achieve (in my case, generally by surprise) while drifting off, or in meditation, and is not the same as dreaming while asleep.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:38 pm

JackRiddler wrote:
bks wrote:
elfi wrote:
I think bks is right, however. What is called lucid dreaming is a still-waking state of colorful imagining you achieve (in my case, generally by surprise) while drifting off, or in meditation, and is not the same as dreaming while asleep.

Thanks for the comments bks and JR. However, I must respectfully disagree.

While I get the ideas you are both suggesting, all the research I've read points to lucid dreaming as occuring during times when brain function exhibits all the signs of sleeping / dreaming:

http://www.google.com/search?q=eeg+lucid+dream

Anyways, I don't want to derail the gravity of this thread so would suggest continued discussion move here:

Lucid Dreaming
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33640
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby slimmouse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the Ad break Jack. I cant begin to tell you how refreshed it makes me feel. Ive deleted the rest of my post cos it was actually genuine nonsense LOL.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to General Discussion