The War on Women

Moderators: DrVolin, Wombaticus Rex, Jeff

The War on Women

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:54 pm



Will Sandra Fluke sue Rush Limbaugh for calling her ‘a slut’?

When Rush Limbaugh called Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke "a slut" and a "prostitute," he set off a firestorm of criticism. Some advertisers are leaving Limbaugh's show.

On Facebook, the Citrix computer systems company announced, "We have listened to our customers & have decided to cease our advertising on The RUSH LIMBAUGH Show immediately."

Pro Flowers told Twitter followers: "Rest assured, your feedback is heard. We heard about the comments and we will reevaluate our marketing plan."

Carbonite CEO David Friend intends to confront Limbaugh directly. He posted this open letter to his customers:

“Over the past two days we have received a tremendous amount of feedback on Rush Limbaugh’s recent comments. I too am offended and very concerned about his comments. Limbaugh’s remarks have us rethinking our future use of talk radio.
“We use more than 40 talk show hosts to help get the Carbonite message out to the public. The nature of talk radio is that from time to time listeners are offended by a host and ask that we pull our advertising. This goes for conservatives like Limbaugh and progressives like Stephanie Miller and Ed Shultz. We even get customers who demand that we pull the plug on NPR. As an advertiser, we do not have control over a show’s editorial content or what they say on air. Carbonite does not endorse the opinions of the shows or their hosts.
“However, the outcry over Limbaugh is the worst we’ve ever seen. I have scheduled a face-to-face meeting next week with Limbaugh during which I will impress upon him that his comments were offensive to many of our customers and employees alike. Please know your voice has been heard and that we are taking this matter very seriously.”

Democrats, who try to portray Limbaugh as the voice of the Republican Party, see the recent kerfuffle as part of the GOP’s “war on women.”

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D) of New York has suggested that legal action might be taken, particularly since Fluke is a private citizen and therefore might more easily win a charge of slander than would a public figure – an elected official or entertainer.

“I’ve certainly been told I might have a case, but it’s not something I’ve made any decisions about at this point,” Fluke told Allison Yarrow of Newsweek’s The Daily Beast.

It’s not only a fight for women, Fluke told Yarrow.

“Men are on board,” she said. “A lot of them write to me. They say ‘I support you. I’m doing this for my granddaughters.’ They really do care.”
User avatar
seemslikeadream
 
Posts: 22987
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:28 pm
Location: into the black
Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Image

Definitely seen that thread throughout the police response to #Occupy -- violence towards women and women being clearly targeted / singled out. The photos have been stunning, indicating that there's either a serious lack of training or the darker and sadly more probable possibility that there's plenty of training, and it's very very bad. Serve and Protect as Control and Contain.

Image

(Agree with HMW about a decades-long Pentagon program to morph masculinity into something more violent and willfully ignorant than actual manhood. Media programming has warped 3 consecutive generations, each one worse than the last.)

Image
User avatar
Wombaticus Rex
 
Posts: 9927
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Vermontistan
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Nordic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 pm

What Rush is doing is trolling. Nobody is better at it then he.

I think what we need to do regarding this is look at the motivations behind it.

Not that Jeff Christie doesn't hate women. He most certainly does.

But he is the Propaganda Minister of the corporatocracy. And right now he's controlling the discourse while our government is planning to start what could turn into WWIII -- the final battle to completely dominate mideastern oil.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
User avatar
Nordic
 
Posts: 14120
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 am
Location: West Los Angeles, CA
Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: The War on Women

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:22 pm

The Witch-Burners are Alive and Sick in Kansas: Stand Up for Dr. Kristin Neuhaus against the Kansas Theocracy's Anti-Abortion Jihad
Sat, 03/03/2012
by:
Dave Lindorff

A few hundred years ago in colonial Massachusetts, the theocratic fascist men who ran that society had a way of dealing with free-thinking women in their midst: they burned them at the stake or drummed up hordes of frightened and unthinking neighbors to stone them to death.

Most of us today imagine that if we had lived in those dark times, we would have stood up against such an outrage. Now is the time to find out.

Salem, Massachusetts of 1690 is alive and well in the state of Kansas, where a thuggish regime of charlatans currently led by Republican Governor Sam Brownback and supported by the terrorist organization Operation Rescue have been hounding doctors who have dared to provide desperate pregnant women of the midwest with access to safe abortions out of business and literally to death. (It was after a botched attempt by these theological fascists to charge and convict Dr. George Tiller of operating his abortion clinic in the state illegally that Scott Roeder, a fevered backer and confidante of activists in Operation Rescue, made the decision to kill the doctor, shooting him in the face as he greeted parishioners at his church on Sunday.)

Today, the target of Gov. Brownback and his fellow women haters and religious fanatics is Dr. Ann Kristin Neuhaus. A courageous physician, Neuhaus was long one of the few doctors in this benighted state, dubbed Brownbackistan by Neuhaus and her journalist/farmer husband Michael Cadell, to offer abortions. From 1999-2007 she acted as a consultant to whom Dr. Tiller could refer women and young girls -- many the victims of rape and incest -- for a second opinion required by the state.

Kans Gov. Brownbeck and the anti-abortion hordes want to take away Dr. Neuhaus's medical license and clap her in jailKans Gov. Brownbeck and the anti-abortion hordes want to take away Dr. Neuhaus's medical license and clap her in jail (photo by Angela C. Bond)

The urgent issue today is a hearing, set for March 8 -- ironically on International Women’s Day -- of the Kansas Board of Healing Arts -- a body that oversees the licensing of doctors, chiropracters and other medical professionals. This board has been stacked over the years of Republican control of state government with hacks and shills for the anti-abortion movement, including people with close links to Operation Rescue, the anti-abortion organization that has terrorized women seeking abortions at clinics across the country, and that has inspired a number of clinic bombings and even the murders of abortion doctors. Some of the members aren’t even doctors. For example, a recent Brownback appointee to the board was Rick Macias, a lawyer for Operation Rescue and other anti-abortion organizations.

Neuhaus’s problems began in 2006, when a convicted felon, Cheryl Sullenger (who served time in federal prison for her role in a 1988 plot to blow up a California abortion clinic, who was and is a close associate of Roeder and who is a senior policy advisor to Operation Rescue), filed a complaint with the Board of Healing Arts, alleging on no evidence that Dr. Neuhaus had not been adequately evaluating the women seeking abortions at Dr. Tiller’s clinic, or properly documenting their files.

During a lengthy investigation, based upon the word of this convicted felon, the board used lies and deception to steal Dr. Neuhaus’s confidential patient medical files, first asking her to bring them with her to a hearing “for reference purposes,” with the promise that they would not be taken from her, and then confiscating them all at the hearing.

Although Dr. Neuhaus now has no medical practice, having herself placed her medical license in inactive status while studying for a master’s degree in public health at the University of Kansas Medical Center, where she sees patients on welfare, the rabid fundamentalist thugs doing Brownback’s political bidding on the Board of Healing Arts are nonetheless continuing their inquisition against her.

A negative ruling by the board permanently revoking Neuhaus’s medical license would be bad enough, but Neuhaus and her husband worry that this would only be the beginning. There are rumors that state and county prosecutors in the pocket of the governor have been preparing to jump in after that with a criminal indictment against her. As the family (the couple have a teenage son) is already in dire financial straits because of the years of unrelenting attacks by the anti-abortion movement and the political charlatans playing this Medieval theme for all it’s worth in this Bible-belt state, even an indictment could land her in jail, unable to post bail.

It’s time for all those Americans out there who like to think that they would have stood up against the witch-burners of Salem to take that stand now in defense of this current victim of the same kind of religious witch-hunting. Stand up for Ann Kristin Neuhaus and women everywhere against the politically grandstanding Gov. Brownback and his religious fanatic backers.

For information, articles about the case, transcripts of last fall’s Board of Medical Arts hearings, to sign a petition of support, and to offer any financial help you can, please go to: http://brownbackistan.wordpress.com

For an excellent story about Dr. Neuhaus, go to: ThisCantBeHappening

And be sure to listen Sunday at 3 pm Eastern time (2 pm Central) to Mike Cadell’s Radio Free Kansas “Secular Sunday” radio program on Blog Talk Radio.
User avatar
seemslikeadream
 
Posts: 22987
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:28 pm
Location: into the black
Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Stephen Morgan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:53 am

Storm, meet teacup. Children still can't see GPs if they don't have medical insurance because of America's fundamentally awful healthcare system, and you're worrying about the provision of a convenience to completely healthy women. Then there's a media circus because someone Moxy Fruvous did a song about is acting exactly as he has been acting for the last thrity years or so. And getting paid huge sums for it. But those facts go unnoticed because he slandered, or possibly libelled, or maybe acurately described, some woman of no great significance.

Still, good to see free condoms available. Far greater health benefits than contraceptive pills, as they also stop things like HIV, and without fucking about with your hormones. And they normally have to be paid for. The NHS will pay for contraceptive pills, will pay for vasectomies, will not pay for condoms. Even in Sweden you have to buy one, and they're trying to put Julian Assange in prison for not using one. I assume they give out condoms free, anyway, that's what the video title says. Obviously I didn't watch it. It's Rush Limbaugh.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
User avatar
Stephen Morgan
 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:37 am
Location: England
Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Project Willow » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:16 pm

Edited to remove trollbait bite.

http://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/pro-choice-rally-turns-raucous/Content?oid=1674656

Pro-Choice Rally Turns Raucous
State Police descend on state Capitol, arrest dozens of protestors.
About a thousand women’s rights protestors descended on the state Capitol Saturday afternoon to protest anti-abortion legislation in the General Assembly, and then things got ugly.

About 20 State Police officers, many in swat gear with face shields and body armor, were called in to assist Capitol Police in controlling the crowd. Some of the State Police officers wore green camouflage and carried rifles and canisters of tear gas (no tear gas was used, however). After being warned to vacate the south steps of the Capitol, police officers arrested 31 people -- 14 men and 17 women -- on charges ranging from unlawful assembly to trespassing, according to Capitol Police.

The rally ended a raucous two weeks in the statehouse, with anti-abortion legislation generating national headlines in a Republican-controlled General Assembly. While legislation granting unborn children “personhood” status was shelved until next year and a bill requiring invasive, transvaginal ultrasounds prior to abortions was watered down at the request of Gov. Bob McDonnell, women’s rights protestors descended onto Capitol Square nonetheless.

Organizers for the event, Speak Loudly With Silence, say that an estimated 1,000 people participated in the rally, which also involved members of the Occupy Richmond movement.


Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Project Willow
 
Posts: 4730
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Simulist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm

That pisses me the fuck off.

"Fetuses" are supposed to be people.

"Corporations" are supposed to be people.

But female PEOPLE are supposed to shut up.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
User avatar
Simulist
 
Posts: 4713
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Here, and now.
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Project Willow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Spirited counter attacks.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/312979/20120312/contraception-controversy-2012-democrats-push-back-regulating.htm
Several Democratic women across the nation are spotlighting the hypocrisy of the nation's reproductive health debate with satirical laws that specifically target men.
March 12, 2012 5:38 PM EDT

As Republican lawmakers across the country continue to introduce legislation to regulate women's access to reproductive health services, some of their Democratic colleagues have responded in kind with intentionally ridiculous proposals that spotlight the hypocrisy surrounding the issue.

The most recent gambit came late last week, when Ohio state Sen. Nina Turner, a Cleveland Democrat, introduced a bill that would effectively regulate the sex lives of men. The legislation, Senate Bill 307, would require men seeking prescriptions for the erectile dysfunction drug Viagra to see a sex therapist receive a cardiac stress test and obtain a notarized affidavit signed by a sexual partner affirming the man's impotency.

While the legislation may seem outlandish, Turner insists that it isn't a joke.

"I'm just as serious as the men policymakers across the nation who introduced bills to regulate a woman's reproductive health," Turner said during an appearance on MSNBC on Monday.


http://www.truth-out.org/us-army-pulls-ads-rush-limbaughs-show/1331745224

US Army Pulls Ads From Rush Limbaugh's Show
by: Adam Peck, ThinkProgress | Report

Responding to mounting pressure from veterans groups, the U.S. Army confirmed that they would be joining at least 140 other advertisers in pulling their support from Rush Limbaugh’s radio show. As ThinkProgress reported on Monday, a memo circulated by Premiere Radio Networks included a list of 141 advertisers that requested their spots be pulled from the show after Limbaugh’s misogynistic tirade. The Army is on that list. While the military is pulling its ads from Limbaugh, Armed Forces Radio continues to air the show. Veterans groups and Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) are urging the Pentagon to drop Limbaugh.


http://jezebel.com/5893040/smartasses-deluge-pro+ultrasound-male-lawmakers-facebook-page-with-detailed-vagina-updates

Smartasses Deluge Pro-Ultrasound Male Lawmaker’s Facebook Page With Detailed Vagina Updates

Virginia Republican caucus chairman Ryan McDougle has proven himself a fearless, uterusless supporter of Getting all up in The Commonwealth's Ladybusiness. He backed the state's now-tabled Personhood bill and stood behind the law that will force women seeking abortions to receive medically unnecessary ultrasounds. And Virginia's women, touched that he cares so much for what's happening inside their female anatomy, have taken to his Facebook page in order to give the lawmaker detailed updates on what's going around in and around their babycaves. It should go without saying that hilarity ensued.


You know, Senator, I've wished all my life that a man would know more about my own vaginal issues than I do, and now you're here! So here it goes, during my last period, I had to use the Super tampons because I had some chunky blood issues. You know, that pesky uterus and all. Maybe you could tell my uterus that all the blood will ooze out in its own time, and not to rush itself into shooting clots out every month. Also, I find it very inconvenient that I wake up in a pool of my own blood on the first and second days of my period. Maybe you can help a sister out?

Senator McDougle, I am almost 49 and STILL menstruating with no sign of slowing down! Frankly, I've had enough of this inconvenience- the cost of pads and pain reliever and all the mess- well YOU know how it is. You're an expert on this lady stuff. I was going to ask my gynocologist [sic] about this issue, but since you know so much about women's reproductive health, I figured I'd just stop by your Facebook page and ask you. So, when will I finally go through the change? My mister and I want to donate the money we spend on birth control to the Richmond Reproductive Freedom Project to help women pay for those unfunded government mandated ultrasounds.

Hey, since you're so interested in my health, I just wanted to let you know that I've been really horny lately because I'm ovulating. But don't worry, I won't engage in dangerous heterosexual sex that could result in a pregnancy. This is because I"m a really fat and hairy Lesbian and I plan on having sex with women for the rest of my life, the really butch dykey kind. The current object of my affections, and the central character in the majority of the sexual fantasies at the moment, is Alison Bechdel (pictured below). Thanks for showing me the light in regards to my own sexual health, in affirming that having sex with men in [sic] more trouble than it's worth. The fact that women are sexier anyway, it just a happy coincidence.

Hi senator. I seem to be irregular and my cramping is pretty bad- so bad that I can't sleep at night or get anything done. Imagine being repeatedly kicked in the crotch for hours, but move the pain up to the whole lower abdomen, because that's the only way I can describe it to someone who doesn't have a uterus that can cramp so badly that it restricts blood flow to surrounding tissues. I thought you would be concerned.

Hey senator! just a quick hello to let you know that I'm currently ovulating! my vaginal discharge is thick and sticky and smells acidic (probably all the garlic i've been eating!) if you want to note that in the charts you must be keeping on me and my vulva. i'll let you know how i'm doing next week!
User avatar
Project Willow
 
Posts: 4730
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The War on Women

Postby brekin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Conservative Group Uses Bill Maher and David Letterman to Raise Money
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... oup-298109


She-PAC on Friday released a video montage of Maher and Letterman making rude comments directed at Republican women like former vp candidate Sarah Palin and Rep. Michele Bachmann.

“Warning: All should find the following video offensive,” begins the two-minute video, before it launches into Maher and Letterman – especially the former – using profane language to describe females whom they disagree with politically.

PHOTOS: 6 of Bill Maher's 'New Rules' for Hollywood

Included in the video is President Barack Obama and MSNBC anchor Ed Schultz, as well as images of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, radio host Laura Ingraham and others.

The video (below) is designed to drum up publicity and financial support for the organization, which also released a letter on Friday that calls on Priorities USA Action, a liberal PAC that supports Obama, to return a recent $1 million donation from Maher.

The letter contrasts offensive things that Maher has said to describe his political opposites with insults Rush Limbaugh recently directed at Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke.


If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
User avatar
brekin
 
Posts: 3072
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The War on Women

Postby justdrew » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

GOP led Wisconsin legislature votes to ban private abortion coverage

The Republican led Wisconsin assembly voted to ban private insurance coverage for abortions and mandate abstinence-only sex education classes Wednesday morning, according to The Green Bay Post Gazette.

The Assembly voted 61-34 Tuesday evening to ban abortion coverage from a health insurance exchange set up by the Affordable Care Act in 2014. The federal law allows states the option to prohibit abortion coverage under the exchange, set up primarily by individuals and small businesses to buy health insurance coverage. Plans offered in the exchange would only cover abortions under the terms of the Hyde Amendment (rape, incest or when the health of the mother is at risk).

Rep. Donna Seidel (D) chastised Republicans for not focusing on the economy and creating jobs, feeling Wisconsin’s residents would be disappointment with the assembly’s focus.

“They feel let down,” Seidel said. “And what are we doing in these last hours to get that important work done? We are arguing about advancing an extreme social agenda that is nothing about that.”

RH Reality Check’s Andy Kopsa described the vote would “eliminate coverage for abortion services in Wisconsin even when individual citizens are using their own dollars to purchase private insurance.”

The Assembly also voted 60-34 to overturn the Healthy Young Act, which required Wisconsin schools to teach sex education classes about contraception information along with abstinence-centered education. Instead, the vote will allow schools to provide abstinence-only classes.

Both bills are expected to be signed by Governor Scott Walker.

Eight other states have already restricted abortion coverage in all private insurance plans, according to the Guttmacher Institute.


the GOP must be destroyed utterly
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
User avatar
justdrew
 
Posts: 11966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: unknown
Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: The War on Women

Postby druff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Stephen Morgan wrote:Children still can't see GPs if they don't have medical insurance because of America's fundamentally awful healthcare system, and you're worrying about the provision of a convenience to completely healthy women.


Worthwhile point about perspective.

Also, a bill in the Missouri House of Reps provides a little evidence that the "war on women" may be more accurately described as "merely" a "war on sex":

HB 1853

Prohibits a vasectomy from being performed on a man unless it is to save his life or prevent substantial and irreversible physical impairment


Edit: IT'S A WAR ON MEN!! ?

http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB1853&year=2012&code=R
User avatar
druff
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Project Willow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:59 pm

^See my earlier post and the abortion thread for the context of these male sexuality related bills, or just this:

U.S. legislatures enacted a record number of anti-abortion laws in 2011, according to the Guttmacher Institute, which reports 92 of the 125 reproductive health-related provisions that passed in state chambers last year restricted access to abortion services. This year -- which has thus far featured an intense political debate over the merits and religious implications of requiring contraceptive services to be covered by health insurance providers -- is looking similar.



druff wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:
Children still can't see GPs if they don't have medical insurance because of America's fundamentally awful healthcare system, and you're worrying about the provision of a convenience to completely healthy women.


Worthwhile point about perspective.


No, it isn't, unless you consider control over your own body a convenience.
User avatar
Project Willow
 
Posts: 4730
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Simulist » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm

druff wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:Children still can't see GPs if they don't have medical insurance because of America's fundamentally awful healthcare system, and you're worrying about the provision of a convenience to completely healthy women.


Worthwhile point about perspective.

Really? Then maybe you and Stephen should get some.

"Convenience"?!! Feh.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
User avatar
Simulist
 
Posts: 4713
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Location: Here, and now.
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Allegro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 am

.
Sam Brownback REFER report posted upthread by Slad.
Sam Brownback REFER Uganda essay posted by Allegro
Sam Brownback, Roman Catholic REFER WIKI
First RI reference of Brownback was Nov, 2006.

_________________
Two snippets transcribed from Jeff Sharlet’s book, The Family; pp. 261-262.

    “…He [Brownback] believes he can feel it when people are praying for him.”

    …“When he [Sam Brownback] ran for the House, Brownback was a Methodist, simple and proper. When he ran for the Senate, he was an evangelical, filled with the Holy Ghost power. Now he’s a Catholic, baptized not in a church but in the “Catholic Information Center,” a chapel tucked in between lobbyists’ offices on K Street in Washington, run by Opus Dei, a secretive lay order founded by a saint who saw in Generalis-simo Franco, the late dictator of Spain, an ideal of worldly power. Brownback prefers Mother Teresa. He studies torah with an orthodox rabbi. “Deep,” say the rabbi. His daughter once told him that different churches have different aromas, and that there is a scent for everyone. Brownback wants to huff them all. “I am a seeker,” he told me, an understatement of grand proportion. Brownback’s faith is complicated, like American fundamentalism in the twenty-first century. The movement’s two great strands—the populist, pulpit-pounding tradition of its masses and the mannered evasions of its elite—are coming together, intertwining to become the mutant DNA of men such as Sam Brownback, the next generation of spiritual warriors.”

_________________
REFER The Prosperity Gospel; Prosperity Theology | Dominion Theology | Reconstructionism | The Joshua Project | 1040 Window | Christian Fundamentalism | Christian Dispensationalism | Christian Evangelism | Campus Crusade for Christ | Focus on the Family | Family Research Council | The Family | Opus Dei

POST 2087
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist
_________________
User avatar
Allegro
 
Posts: 4456
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:44 pm
Location: just right of Orion
Blog: View Blog (144)

Re: The War on Women

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 am

Yeah, that vasectomy thing is obviously not to be taken as something they intend to get passed. Vasectomies never save lives, to start with. That's part of the "counterattack" willow was talking about, which is nothing of the sort.

Project Willow wrote:
druff wrote:
Stephen Morgan wrote:
Children still can't see GPs if they don't have medical insurance because of America's fundamentally awful healthcare system, and you're worrying about the provision of a convenience to completely healthy women.


Worthwhile point about perspective.


No, it isn't, unless you consider control over your own body a convenience.


Except no-one is being forbidden from aborting, are they? Rather, it's being made less convenient for them to do so. If they want an abortion, they can still get one, they just might have to jump through a couple of extra hoops to get to it. People with no medical coverage, on the other hand, die slow and painful deaths every day because of the lack of healthcare in America, which isn't the case in the rest of the civilised world.

But obviously you don't control your own body, the state does. The state can conscript you, can allow others to benefit from your labour (although at least debtors prisons are partly abolished these days), an convict you for not following a policeman's orders or providing your property to him when asked, or can take your property in the supposed public interest. Obviously they can also stop you receiving medical treatment, or force you to receive it, or force feed you, or do whatever they want to. Americans have stupid ideas about this, for example that the state shouldn't pass laws about abortion, because they believe the constitution gives them rights, which it does only when the government allows it to. Therefore things like abortion or, heavens to betsy, school prayer, become political issues when they aren't in more sensible countries. OF course the state randomly murdering, kidnapping and silencing people goes on unabated. So, rest assured, if you think you have the "right" to an abortion, you're wrong. You can still get one only because you're allowed to, because the powers that be don't give a shit, and the people who want to stop abortions an only inconvenience those who want them, because the power resides elsewhere. No amount of "counterattacks" against people in no way responsible for these efforts will change that, and no amount of attempts to stop abortion will work, because the government likes things as they are, lots of conflict, very little change either way.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
User avatar
Stephen Morgan
 
Posts: 3735
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:37 am
Location: England
Blog: View Blog (9)

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 22 guests