The War on Women

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The War on Women

Postby elfismiles » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:25 am

In light of the "Cologne Mass Sex Assaults" thread/meme...

2012 Delhi gang rape

INDIA'S DAUGHTER - Documentary is streamable on NetFlix:

http://indiasdaughter.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India's_Daughter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4058426/
http://www.netflix.com/title/80073593

Past RI forum refs:
search.php?keywords=2012+Delhi+gang+rape
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:13 pm

Planned Parenthood Sues “Complex Criminal Enterprise” Behind Deceptive Videos
—By Nina Liss-Schultz | Thu Jan. 14, 2016 3:00 PM EST

Planned Parenthood officials announced Thursday that the organization is suing the Center for Medical Progress, the group behind last summer's series of misleading and heavily edited videos that created a firestorm over whether the Planned Parenthood's fetal tissue donation program broke the law. The federal lawsuit, filed in San Francisco, also named David Daleiden, the face of the Center for Medical Progress, Troy Neumann, the CMP's secretary and a well-known anti-abortion activist, and several other CMP members as defendants.

The series of videos, released this summer by the secretive CMP, purported to show Planned Parenthood staff and other abortion care professionals discussing how to traffic fetal tissue for profit. Donating fetal tissue for medical research is legal in the United States, as is receiving reimbursement for the costs associated with the donation. Only two states have fetal tissue donation programs, and Planned Parenthood has categorically denied that it has profited from them. Both state and federal investigations into the health care group's donation programs have found no evidence of wrongdoing. In the fall, Planned Parenthood announced that it would no longer accept reimbursement for the tissue donations but would pay for them.

Planned Parenthood in California is one of two state affiliates that donates fetal tissue.

The federal lawsuit accuses the CMP of racketeering, illegally creating and using fake driver's licenses, and invading the privacy of and illegally recording Planned Parenthood officials and staff. The suit describes the CMP as a "complex criminal enterprise conceived and executed by anti-abortion extremists," and says that "the aim of the fake enterprise—which stretched over years and involved fake companies, fake identifications, and large-scale illegal taping, was to demonize Planned Parenthood."

Harassment, threats, and attacks against abortion providers surged ninefold after the release of the first video in July. And Cgongressional and state lawmakers have used the debunked videos as reasons to defund or restrict the activities of Planned Parenthood. Ten states have introduced legislation restricting either the process of fetal tissue donation or its use in biomedical research. The House and Senate both approved measures to defund the group, which is the nation's largest provider of women's health, serving nearly 3 million Americans every year. States have also moved to cut off Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood affiliates, though those attempts have largely been blocked.

"This case is about a network of anti-abortion extremists and the laws they broke in order to spread lies and harm Planned Parenthood," Dawn Laguens, executive vice president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, told reporters. "This is a fraud build on illegal acts and a web of lies. They lied about who they were and what they wanted to discuss with Planned Parenthood. They colluded with right wing state legislators and members of Congress."
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Supreme Court Throws Out Arkansas' Abortion Ban
One of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country is toast.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:43 am

Anti-Abortion Ads That Make the Rude Pundit Want to Stab His Computer Screen
Young Marco Rubio, he of the dry mouth and bat-wing ears, may be marginally less skeevy than the cock-nosed, cold-hearted Canadian, Ted Cruz, or slightly more sincere than the febrile snake oil salesman, Donald Trump. But he is, without a doubt, just as much of a shit-bit as either of the two leading Republicans.

As the Rude Pundit has previously noted, Rubio put out one ad with his head talking against a black backdrop about how much he loves hisself some Jeebus with a capital goddamn J. Now, never one to let a good hategasm go un-ejaculated, Rubio has put out an anti-abortion ad in Iowa just in time for the 43rd anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision. Obnoxiously titled "Life," the ad shows the Rubio head talking about not abortin' the babies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csjYH6wj8A8

One thing sticks out in this plea to the evangelicals of the Iowa GOP to love him. It ain't when Rubio says that he wants to limit abortions, especially "those late-term abortions where children who are viable outside the womb are still being killed," even though that's buying into an extremist conspiracy theory about the incredibly rare late-term abortion. And it ain't when the ad ends with Rubio surrounded by his own litter of children, showing that he's a virile man capable of impregnating his wife multiple times (although it's unclear how helpful it is for Rubio to show that he is causing the number of Hispanics to rise in the country).

No, what really sticks out is this line: "If I have to make a choice, I am going to choose life." See, that's the end of the fucking argument. If you have a choice and you make a choice, you are pro-choice. You can't be anti-choice and say that there is a choice. One you choose, whether you choose "life" or choose to have an abortion, you can't then say, "But I'm against choice." Fuck you. If you get to choose, so does everyone else. Marco Rubio is pro-choice. He says so himself.

But not content to practice his motherfuckery in a 30-second commercial, Rubio penned an editorial for the Quad-City Times in Iowa. "Even one abortion is too many," Rubio says, without clarifying that he really means it: no exceptions for victims of rape or incest. So fuck you, 13 year-old who get pregnant when you were raped by your stepdad. You're having that fuckin' baby because God wants you to.

And then he offers, "We are a nation that encourages parents to dream big when they first catch a glimpse of their child in an ultrasound." And dreaming is all that the parents can do since Rubio's own "plan" to provide parental leave is bullshit. This is not to mention Rubio's desire to repeal the Affordable Care Act and defund Planned Parenthood, thus taking away the ability of many women to have healthy pregnancies and births.

Rubio says he doesn't "want to tell anybody what to do with their bodies or their lives." That's such an obvious lie in an ad where he invokes "our Creator" that it's surprising that God didn't reach down His Mighty Huge Hand and squeeze Rubio's head until it popped like a grape.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:03 am

Justices Won't Let North Dakota Enforce Tough Abortion Law
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON — Jan 25, 2016, 9:43 AM ET

The Supreme Court will not allow North Dakota to enforce a law banning abortions when a fetal heartbeat is detected as early as six weeks into a pregnancy.

The justices on Monday turned away the state's appeal of lower court rulings that struck down the 2013 fetal heartbeat law as unconstitutional. The law never took effect, and abortion rights supporters said it was the strictest anti-abortion measure in the country.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:05 am

A well-known, well-connected indie music publicist named Heathcliff Berru has been accused of various sexual assaults and harassments by a couple dozen women over the past week. Some of my friends have worked with / been skewed out by this guy.

Dirty Projectors' Amber Coffman, Best Coast & more accuse publicist Heathcliff Berru of sexual assault (he stepped down)
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:48 pm

There's going to be a rally this weekend called "Make Rape Legal" by Return of Kings run by anti-feminist Roosh V, in coordination with their international meetup day. They will be demonstrating in 165 cities in 43 countries. I'll be attending the counter-protest mostly just to keep my eyes on them and gauge their danger.

Some backgrounder:
http://jezebel.com/ladies-quit-paying-a ... 1469942571

In order to not give them any additional traffic, let me know via PM if you're curious as to whether they're hosting a rally in your city - I have the full list of locations.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 am

I'm not sure if it's disinfo or not (seems a bit difficult to coordinate), but the pro-rape "neo-masculine" international meetup day is reportedly cancelled. That's not before the counter-demonstration page was seemingly infiltrated by a bunch of these MRAs threatening women with violence and rape.

I'm hoping that the counter-protest still moves forward as a demonstration "just in case". It's kind of a weird part of town on a Saturday night.
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:06 am

A mirror so as not to give them traffic — they have some pretty serpentine instructions for how to get the new secret locations for rallies: https://archive.is/F1Acu
Luther Blissett

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 am

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:07 pm

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:38 am

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/0 ... ord-vagina

From WWMT News:
A West Michigan substitute teacher says she was fired for using an anatomical word during a teaching lesson. The Battle Creek substitute teacher was fired on Friday, and says she had no clue saying the word "vagina" would cost her her job. If you ask Allison Wint why she was fired from Harper Creek Middle School, she will tell you it's because she uttered the word "vagina."

"Yes, I did say that word however I was saying it in the context of art history; I wasn't being vulgar," she said.
The substitute art teacher claims she said it to a room full of 8th graders trying to explain historical interpretations of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings. But to school officials, Wint crossed the line—and violated school policy.

I don't know how you could avoid using the "vagina" or "vaginal" in a discussion of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings—unless you went with the more accurate "vulvar" or the more colloquial and Battle-Creek-friendly "hoo-haa-esque."

School administrators insists they had to no choice but to fire Wint because teachers at Harper Creek Middle School "are required to get advanced approval when discussing any form of reproductive health." Wint says she wasn't aware of this idiotic policy—she also wasn't discussing reproductive health. She was discussing an artist and sharing the most common interpretation of O'Keefe's iconic paintings of flowers. (This isn't the first time a Michigan woman has been punished for uttering the word "vagina" in front of bunch of children.)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... a-comments

During a heated debate on the floor of the Michigan state House, Rep. Lisa Brown made an impassioned speech against a bill that seeks to put new regulations on abortion providers and ban all abortions after 20 weeks.

Brown, a Democrat, argued that her Jewish faith allowed for therapeutic abortions when the mother's life is in danger without regard to length of pregnancy.

"I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?" she said. But what came next is what got her in trouble: "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'"

The Detroit News reports today the House Republican leadership did not allow Brown to speak on a bill about the retirement of school employees.

The News reports:

"'What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. 'It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.'
"Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, determined Brown's comments violated the decorum of the House, said Ari Adler, spokesman for the Republican majority."
Brown called a press conference, today, the Detroit Free Press reports. She defended her use of the word "vagina," saying it is the "anatomically medically correct term."

"If they are going to legislate my anatomy, I see no reason why I cannot mention it," she said according to the Free Press.

"Regardless of their reasoning, this is a violation of my First Amendment rights and directly impedes my ability to serve the people who elected me into office," Brown added in a statement released by her office.

Brown was not the only woman silenced on the floor today. Rep. Barb Byrum was also not allowed to speak on the floor.

"Byrum, D-Onondaga, caused a disturbance on the House floor Wednesday when she wasn't allowed to introduce an amendment to the abortion regulations bill banning men from getting a vasectomy unless the sterilization procedure was necessary to save a man's life," the Detroit News reports.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Karmamatterz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 am

"Byrum, D-Onondaga, caused a disturbance on the House floor Wednesday when she wasn't allowed to introduce an amendment to the abortion regulations bill banning men from getting a vasectomy unless the sterilization procedure was necessary to save a man's life," the Detroit News reports.

Wow, just wow. Talk about wacko extremist nut job. Holy sh*t!

No woman is going to regulate my right to a vasectomy if I so choose to have the procedure. Well, I already did and didn't bother to ask for any woman's opinion, especially the wacko who tried introducing the repugnant legislation. Get a grip and go play with some other kind of balls.

My sister is an elementary school teacher in Michigan, and is a very liberal, intelligent woman. She thinks the substitute was an idiot and typical of this entitled attitude that is now so pervasive.
Karmamatterz

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:59 am

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:02 am

Lake George Reflection she painted during her time at Lake George, NY will be auctioned by Christies on May 19.

A monumental painting by Georgia O'Keeffe that can be viewed horizontally or vertically is coming to auction and it could bring up to $12 million.

"Lake George Reflection," created in 1921-1922, will be offered at Christie's New York on May 19.

Measuring 5-feet by 3-feet, it was inspired by O'Keeffe's visits to Alfred Stieglitz's family compound on the upstate New York lake. She married the celebrated photographer in 1924.

Horizontally, it's a landscape of rolling hills reflected in a body of water. Vertically, it becomes abstract, more reminiscent of her iconic flower paintings.

O'Keeffe herself hung it vertically when it was first exhibited in a New York gallery in 1923.

Apart from its sale at auction in the 1990s, it hasn't been seen publically since the 1923 exhibition.

The current O'Keeffe auction record is $44.4 million.

http://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Unusual-Georgia-O-Keeffe-painting-of-Lake-George-7348995.php#photo-9897458

Alfred Stieglitz
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion