Cabin In The Woods: The Ultimate RI Movie?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 pm

(kind of a pseudo reply to this post in the Mirage Men thread viewtopic.php?p=456836#p456836 )

Just saw Cabin in the Woods the other day, which is the most hyped movie before the early summer season starts. It's a bit of a 'meta-meta horror comedy', using the generic overdone trope of pretty high schooler guys and gals naively going to vacation in a secluded area.

But the real thrust of the story reminds me of something right out of a HMW response to 'woo' or a Jeff Wells blog. Not a spoiler, as it's in the trailer, press promotion and in the opening scene...
but the basic premise is that all the supernatural "woo" stuff going on is being controlled and created by a CIA like intelligence agency as a sort of psychological operation.

Least...that's the basic premise. Imagine if the cabin in evil dead 2 and all the stuff Ash went through(or Close Encounters, or The Shining) was a CIA operation.

But......(SPOILER ALERT)

...turns out that all the CIA manipulation is to create these elaborate occult death rituals for dark forces, and that not everything "woo" is CIA concocted.

At any rate, given Im usually bored by most horror films, I found it a pretty fun ride. And for anyone who digs video games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, or classic stuff like Evil Dead youll definitely dig it.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cabin In The Woods: The Ultimate RI Movie?

Postby LilyPatToo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 am

I haven't seen it yet, but the fact that it's got an RI kinda plot isn't surprising when you see who wrote it--Joss Whedon, of Buffy fame, who also wrote Doll House with its creepy sex slavery/mind-control-related premise. What did you think of Cabin?

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Fresno_Layshaft » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:25 am

I just watched it tonight and I don't recall any overt CIA references, maybe I missed it though.
Nothing will Change.
Fresno_Layshaft

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 am

(kind of a pseudo reply to this post in the Mirage Men thread viewtopic.php?p=456836#p456836 )

Just saw Cabin in the Woods the other day, which is the most hyped movie before the early summer season starts. It's a bit of a 'meta-meta horror comedy', using the generic overdone trope of pretty high schooler guys and gals naively going to vacation in a secluded area.

But the real thrust of the story reminds me of something right out of a HMW response to 'woo' or a Jeff Wells blog. Not a spoiler, as it's in the trailer, press promotion and in the opening scene...
but the basic premise is that all the supernatural "woo" stuff going on is being controlled and created by a CIA like intelligence agency as a sort of psychological operation.

Least...that's the basic premise. Imagine if the cabin in evil dead 2 and all the stuff Ash went through(or Close Encounters, or The Shining) was a CIA operation.

But......(SPOILER ALERT)

It sounds like an absolute must-miss.

Surely "The Ultimate RI Movie" is a contradiction in terms, especially when it's as pointless and asinine as this one sounds.

Why are so many Americans so obsessed with movies? Why do they think movies -- especially (!) horror movies, and most especially high-profile Hollywood horror movies (!!) - are going to grant them some special privileged subversive insight into (a) the actual doings of the really powerful, and (b) the nature of Reality per se?

Sorry, but there's no getting round it: It is just fucking ridiculous. It is also an insult to this board. As if the CIA would ever let itself be endangered by a Hollywood film!

Be serious. Pull yourself together. Get a grip.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:34 am

MacCruiskeen wrote:

Sorry, but there's no getting round it: It is just fucking ridiculous. It is also an insult to this board.

People need to lighten up. I mean a "real" RI movie would be something like Waking Life, as a lot of the conversations there seem like conversations I've had.
On a poptainment level I found Cabin in the Woods fun, and again I hate 99% of most horror films.

Fresno_Layshaft wrote:I just watched it tonight and I don't recall any overt CIA references, maybe I missed it though.

For real? Everything about the 'controllers' was right out of Langley/NSA, least the image both hollywood and para-politics paints with the CIA and western intelligence agencies.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 am

On a poptainment level I found Cabin in the Woods fun

You mean you snickered knowingly? Honestly, I can't think what you might possibly mean by that, except that.

On a poptainment level

ffs
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:44 am

MILABin in the woods :)
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:50 am

you know, I've talked about a group project before, thanks to some comments above I may have just hit on the perfect thing. Not a 'waking life' like movie, but....

Spoiler:.
Our Dinner with Wells (a my dinner with andre homage)
we'd need a script, but each participant could write their own lines (exquisite corpse* style in 1st draft), get their own PoV across, nothing presented as unquestionably absolute.

anyway, it's a concept... :shrug:
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 am

"RI" means being like totally freaked out by stuff while still kind of snickering about it at the same time and also vaguely worrying about the CIA & stuff while posting links about "leftfield" mainstream Hollywood movies that like totally rock (for some undefined reason)?

I hope I've got this right.

ON EDIT: Probably not. Please correct my mistakes.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 am

I haven't looked up 'Cabin in the Woods.'
Barely heard of it.

SO. My initial association with the title is....'The Unabomber,' infamous for being a wilderness loner genius terrorist.

Hmm.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 am

Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:I haven't looked up 'Cabin in the Woods.'
Barely heard of it.

SO. My initial association with the title is....'The Unabomber,' infamous for being a wilderness loner genius terrorist.

Hmm.

Thanks for supplying us mere mortals with your initial association, Hugh. How on earth would we have coped without it?

This, too, is "RI". Literally anything goes in.

But what comes out?

Call me eccentric, but I think it depends on what goes in.
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 am

The ultimate RI movie is "Dogtooth" ("Kindontas," Greece, 2010). Done.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31795

But I'm mildly intrigued by "Cabin." It's the only multiplex movie out right now that I might decide to watch in the theater. Though "Hunger Games" has its endorsers, I just can't do it.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Nordic » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 am

JackRiddler wrote:The ultimate RI movie is "Dogtooth" ("Kindontas," Greece, 2010). Done.
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... =8&t=31795

Thanks for that. Now I know what I can do tonight.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:04 am

LilyPatToo wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but the fact that it's got an RI kinda plot isn't surprising when you see who wrote it--Joss Whedon, of Buffy fame, who also wrote Doll House with its creepy sex slavery/mind-control-related premise. What did you think of Cabin?

LilyPat

How on earth can you not mention Firefly?
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 am

I know it's unfashionable, and indeed truly geeky, but I have to admit I'm fascinated by ancient history :D :D :D , e.g., what happened to The Black Knight, not to mention V for Vendetta? I know that even mentioning either one of them is akin to wearing last year's jeans or farting in church. But wasn't there something kind of revolutionary about at least one of those movies, or even about both of them? Weren't they must-sees, for some reason? So why did the revolution fail?

Maybe I've got this wrong. (But what, exactly?) And you're like, dude... :roll: :oops: . (I know, I know, I must pay more attention.)

The next movie will be The One, until the one after that.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Next

Return to General Discussion