Hollywood Scripting

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Hollywood Scripting

Postby Nordic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:51 am

They certainly do lie about budgets, though. I've seen it first hand. I've personally seen budgets being touted as more than double the actual budget. Makes people want to buy the film more. Who wants to drive a cheap car, right?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby MinM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:11 am

@GregMitch: Wild story of Truman censoring 1st Hollywood movie on Hiroshima--and getting actor fired-- 67 yrs ago this month.

When Harry Truman Censored 'the Most Important' Hollywood Epic Ever Made
Greg Mitchell on April 26, 2013 - 9:56 AM ET

One of the great tales of Hollywood “censorship” remains little known today, more than sixty-seven years after it transpired. And who was right at the center of it? None other than President Harry S. Truman. He even got rid of the actor playing him in the MGM movie. For good measure, protests by Eleanor Roosevelt led to the firing of the actor portraying her late husband.

The 1947 MGM film The Beginning or the End deserves special review, however, as the film emerged, after many revisions, as a Hollywood version of America’s official nuclear narrative: The bomb was absolutely necessary to end the war and save American lives, and we needed to build new and bigger weapons to protect us from the Soviets. And so the nuclear arms race began.

My fascination with the making and unmaking of the MGM film took me to the Truman Library, where I was the first to consult key documents. The story of the derailing of the movie, Truman and why it was important is told in my new book, just out this week, Hollywood Bomb: Harry S. Truman and the Unmaking of ‘The Most Important Movie’ Ever Made.

Several weeks after the Hiroshima attack, Sam Marx, a producer at MGM, received a call from agent Tony Owen, who said his wife, actress Donna Reed, had received some fascinating letters from her high school chemistry teacher, Dr. Edward Tomkins—who was now at the Oak Ridge nuclear site. Tomkins expressed surprise that Hollywood did not already have an atomic bomb feature in the works, and wondered if the film industry wanted to warn the people of the world about the coming dangers of a nuclear arms race.

Soon, MGM boss Louis B. Mayer gave the film a go, calling it “the most important story” he would ever film. President Truman provided the title himself. Marx and others from MGM met with the atomic scientists at Oak Ridge and elsewhere.

Early scripts, I discovered, raised doubts about the Hiroshima decision and portrayed the effects of the atomic bombing in a way that would have shocked many viewers, with Hiroshima pictured as ghostlike ruins and a baby with a burned face. The overall political message was alarmist and aligned with pro-disarmament scientists: It would have been better to lose half a million American lives “than release atomic energy in the world.”

Then something happened, and the sensibility of The Beginning or the End shifted radically. The decision to use the bomb, in revised scripts, was viewed as justifiable, even admirable. Now, after the bombings, no victims appeared, just a burning landscape observed from the air. Amazingly, General Leslie Groves, the director of the Manhattan Project, had secured the right of script approval—along with a hefty $10,000 fee—and played a vital part in reshaping the film. (See the trailer here.)

MGM hired Norman Taurog to direct the film and Hume Cronyn to star as Robert Oppenheimer. Everyone from famed columnist Bob Considine to author Ayn Rand were involved with early scripts. Nearly all of the scientists impersonated in the film signed releases, even Albert Einstein, but unlike Groves and President Truman, were not given script approval. Oppenheimer visited the set after being assured that his character, the film’s narrator, would display “humility” and “a love of mankind.” The Hollywoodization of the bomb had begun...

After a screening of the completed film for Washington journalists and White House officials in October 1946, famed columnist Walter Lippmann said he still found one scene “shocking.” President Truman felt uncomfortable with it as well. It pictured Truman making the decision to use the bomb, and the president and his aides objected to his deciding, after only a brief reflection, that the United States would use the weapon against Japan because “I think more of our American boys than I do of all our enemies.” This was actually true, of course...

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174057/wh ... ever-made#

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?c ... &pid=58516
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby minime » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Caught 'Django' the other night. Very much a cartoon ("more blood!"...), and deliberately so in my opinion. And even moreso the moment Shultz is killed. I don't know if it makes me think more of Tarantino as writer and director, or less.

One thing did pique my interest: the scene after dinner in which they were discovered. Leo explains, show and tell, why slaves are slaves, and Shultz reveals that A. Dumas 'was a Negro' (not exactly historically accurate, though of course 1/4 black is black to some). It is very much a recapitulation of the eggplant scene in 'True Romance'. I wonder who wrote it.

Also saw 'Cosmopolis' and noticed that Delillo used my 'Spectre of Capitalism' idea. I guess I'll have to scrap that. Hard to be original anymore. Great minds and all that...

[edited for crucial exclamation point and imaginary quotation marks]
minime

Postby MinM » Mon May 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Image@Gawker: Seth Rogen is not pleased with Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday.

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 am

^^^^^^ :adore:

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby MinM » Wed May 28, 2014 8:32 am

Ann Hornaday responds to Seth Rogen.
MinM » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm wrote:
Image@Gawker: Seth Rogen is not pleased with Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday.

Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed May 09, 2012 4:20 pm wrote:Now, can you find the military-recruiting-of-females themes in that 'Spy vs Spy' pictogram?
Exactly where on her body is the word "war?"

Slate responds to Ann Hornaday.
MinM

Postby MinM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 am

@TimothyS: Stoners buy into assassination & racism -way to go, idiots."Rogen & Franco's new film on invading North Korea." huff.to/1loNSUz

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/477154338125541376
MinM

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:13 pm

MinM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 pm wrote:
@TimothyS: Stoners buy into assassination & racism -way to go, idiots."Rogen & Franco's new film on invading North Korea." huff.to/1loNSUz

You beat me to the punch, MinM. This just... nauseates me. Never liked Rogen much, but I had a soft spot in my heart for James Franco, oddly enough. American triumphalism dressed up as edgy satire just irritates the fuck out of me. How is it even satire if it regurgitates official American foreign policy? Jesus.

Staging the assassination of Dubya when he was in office wasn't quite as funny, I seem to remember...
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby MinM » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:46 pm

RocketMan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm wrote:
MinM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 pm wrote:

You beat me to the punch, MinM. This just... nauseates me. Never liked Rogen much, but I had a soft spot in my heart for James Franco, oddly enough. American triumphalism dressed up as edgy satire just irritates the fuck out of me. How is it even satire if it regurgitates official American foreign policy? Jesus...

Hollywood help you if you're not on board the MIC Express ..
Image@RT_America: Hollywood execs may blacklist Cruz, Bardem for accusing Israel of 'genocide' http://on.rt.com/ibv548

@MaxBlumenthal: Israeli arms makers expect to cash in after testing new weapons on besieged refugees of Gaza: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.609919
MinM

Postby smiths » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 am

but, why would Hollywood, as an entity, take exception to Cruz and Bardez making political comments about Israel's brutal and excessive treatment of the Palestinians?
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:07 am

smiths » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:31 am wrote:but, why would Hollywood, as an entity, take exception to Cruz and Bardez making political comments about Israel's brutal and excessive treatment of the Palestinians?

A flash from the past. Dangerous territory I know, but there you have it.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/oli ... e-1.304108

Jewish control of the media is preventing an open discussion of the Holocaust, prominent Hollywood director Oliver Stone told the Sunday Times, adding that the U.S. Jewish lobby was controlling Washington's foreign policy for years.

In the Sunday interview, Stone reportedly said U.S. public opinion was focused on the Holocaust as a result of the "Jewish domination of the media," adding that an upcoming film of him aims to put Adolf Hitler and Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin "in context."

"There's a major lobby in the United States," Stone said, adding that "they are hard workers. They stay on top of every comment, the most powerful lobby in Washington."

I seem to remember some Jewish commentator/public figure discussing how top tier Hollywood movers & shakers are mostly Jewish. Anyone? Am I totally off?

Of course, it always has to be remembered that there's a major Jewish American contingent out there in violent opposition to Israel's policies regarding Palestine.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:21 am

Again: it takes "balls" to make a movie about how over-the-top authoritarian and repressive NORTH KOREA is? Yeah rrrriiight. This is truly transgressive satire... :uncertain:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i ... k_20141211

Seth Rogen celebrated the premiere of his upcoming Sony Pictures comedy The Interview by thanking Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal — and he used some colorful language to do it.

"I'd like to thank Amy Pascal for having the balls to make this movie," Rogen said onstage, standing next to his co-director and producing partner Evan Goldberg before the screening at The Theatre at the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. A packed house came out for the film as the fallout over a cyberattack on Sony Pictures continues.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:35 am

Hello, smiths.

Perhaps you'll find this in your local library:
An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Empire_of_Their_Own

Iamwhomiam

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 am

smiths » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 am wrote:but, why would Hollywood, as an entity, take exception to Cruz and Bardez making political comments about Israel's brutal and excessive treatment of the Palestinians?

This is sorely missing sarc tags or green text.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby RocketMan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 am

Well, the critics slammed The Interview. I hope the ticket-buying public buries it as well... Though I may be too optimistic.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion