Apple and the tree of knowledge

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Apple and the tree of knowledge

Postby Nordic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 am

I recently FINALLY got an iPhone. Sorta had to; in my line of work there its now expected of you, and there are certain apps that you are simply expected to have now.

Anyway my awareness of all things iPhone has multiplied exponentially. And i find myself aware and disturbed by the willing obsession humanity now has with these little objects.

I do hate typing on them. The touchscreen makes it extremely difficult to write but perhaps that is by design since wirh the advent of these things the wrotten word seems on its way out.

I fond myself wanting to do everything now on my iPhone. Its almost like if i can't do it on my iphone i don't want to do it. Sitting at a big desktop computer just seems like so much work now! And i have to sit upright and there's this big clunky keyboard I have to deal with ..... But mainly i can take the little iphone anywhere, can curl up in my favorite comfy nook, away from prying eyes, even more so than with the laptop, which is still a bit clumsy and always threatens to burn a hole into my lap ....

And going on Instagram has now become a time filling hobby of mine, to literally go into the point-of-views of people from all arounf the earth! And see whete they live, what they're doing, see how pretty their girls are .... (and its astounding to see how young women all around the world seem obsessed with constantly photographing themselves and publishing themselves to the billions of prying eyes on the internet) ...... Its also clear, from doinf this, how mich the globalization of certain products has become, to the piint where very often you have no idea whatsoever what country the people you are viewing live in ...

And seeing how my own children have picked up these devices and suddenly become obsessed with them, their faces glowing in the darkening house ad twilight falls, somber as if lit by a private church candle ......

Then just tonight, spacing out, and realizing in a moment of panic when my phone seemed truly dead for a moment until i realized i had turned it off earlier, truly off, to reset it, and as i sat there staring at the screen as it rebooted it, staring at that little apple with the bite taken out of it .. .

Wait a second here .... an apple? With a bite taken out of it? Really?? Isn't there a little story about that in our culture's holy book, the bible? And didn't God warn the first people that bad things would happen if they took that bute out of that apple? Yet here we all are, obliviously carrying these little magic wands around with that exact same symbol on it?

It seems ridiculously obvious that the symbolism here is heavy and deliberate.

Am i just dense in not noticing this before, or has everyone been aware of this but me?

I dunno, maybe this should be in the lounge.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Apple and the tree of knowledge

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Nordic wrote:(and its astounding to see how young women all around the world seem obsessed with constantly photographing themselves and publishing themselves to the billions of prying eyes on the internet)

How else do we measure ourselves in the Kali Yuga? Where else will they turn for somatosensory feedback? How else can they know themselves?

Seriously, though. Zero sarcasm. What else matters?
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:56 pm

What does the Kali Yuga have to do with it?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby barracuda » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Just replace the sword with an Apple iPhone 4S, with the dual core A5 chip, iSight camera, iOS 5, and Siri.
barracuda

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:31 pm

barracuda wrote:Image

Just replace the sword with an Apple iPhone 4S, with the dual core A5 chip, iSight camera, iOS 5, and Siri.

So people will take pictures of cows?

Thats actually kind of better than killing them. (At least according to the origins of that image.)
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:47 pm

What's up with the identical topics and how nobody has noticed it yet? I thought I was going crazy there for a second. Perhaps this should be merged and Nordic stop posting on his ithing. ;)

That said, I for one, have never purchased an Apple product in my life unless you include the 2e's my parents paid for with their tax dollars when I was in elementary school.

That said, once more, my android phone is buggy as fuck and I constantly have to reboot it.

If someone would have told me that I would be "rebooting a phone" 15-20 years ago I would have told them they were nuts.

But yeah, I've never fallen for the worm bait. Don't know why. Kinda like how I have no tattoos. People these days now ask me (us) WHY I have no tattoos as opposed to WHY do I have them.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:26 pm

82_28 wrote:If someone would have told me that I would be "rebooting a phone" 15-20 years ago I would have told them they were nuts.

Around 1980 a friend told us, "soon you'll be able to send a long letter, or even a whole book, long distance over the phone in just a few seconds" and we were like, yeah, right. Now it seems ridiculous that we didn't have that then.

I like the two threads, sort of like parallel universes. Will one spin off into a completely different future? Maybe in one of them I'll get a cell phone. I'm ready to ditch my land line now if a cell is cheaper.

Note the two threads were caused (almost certainly) by the (clumsy typing arrangement of the) iPhone itself.

In the other universe, Joe H. said these devices might be dulling our natural telepathic abilities. The inevitable upshot of all this is chips in the head, isn't it? Plenty of people think that's a wonderful idea but I don't even want to be on Facebook.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Burnt Hill » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Sometimes an apple is just an apple.
I still intend to be the last person on earth without a cellphone.

:partydance:
Burnt Hill

Postby Saurian Tail » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:
Nordic wrote:(and its astounding to see how young women all around the world seem obsessed with constantly photographing themselves and publishing themselves to the billions of prying eyes on the internet)

How else do we measure ourselves in the Kali Yuga? Where else will they turn for somatosensory feedback? How else can they know themselves?

Seriously, though. Zero sarcasm. What else matters?

No kidding. WR gets it.
"Taking it in its deepest sense, the shadow is the invisible saurian tail that man still drags behind him." -Carl Jung
Saurian Tail

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 am

82_28 wrote:What's up with the identical topics and how nobody has noticed it yet? I thought I was going crazy there for a second. Perhaps this should be merged and Nordic stop posting on his ithing. ;)

ha, I was sort of waiting for one to 'win the day or be merged before replying, but it looks like both are going to roll.
Now its like some experiment.

No iphone here either. Lots of people need them for what Nordic said though. Pay phones aren't available much anymore either. They're vandalized and in disrepair.
I barely use my cell phone though. Really I just keep one now for travel. Its good to have in case of breakdown on the road. Paranoid me, I do pull the battery out too. No cancer or tracking for me!
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 am

But now, I will quote a post in the OTHER thread and post it here and see what happens. Crossing the streams! Also, since that thread has two pages, its better to post here so we can get this one to match. Not sure why, but I feel it would be better to have the 'clicker'/reader guess click on which one is the one they're following. :clown

Burnt Hill wrote:Sometimes an apple is just an apple.
I still intend to be the last person on earth without a cellphone.

I hate them. Everyone seems to have to answer right away and you are expected to as well. I know I'm a bit anti-social, but damn, I don't think its right to be having to answer. Thats the pressure having one puts on you though. What kind of ridiculous protocol is that?
Last edited by 2012 Countdown on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby Elvis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 am

2012 Countdown wrote:since that thread has two pages, its better to post here so we can get this one to match.

Agreed. If this thread ceases to exist, so will the parallel universe it created, and we'll all DIE.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Allegro » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:47 am

Elvis wrote:
2012 Countdown wrote:since that thread has two pages, its better to post here so we can get this one to match.

Agreed. If this thread ceases to exist, so will the parallel universe it created, and we'll all DIE.
:rofl2

Also, thanks Elvis :basicsmile for the top margin [hr] tip.
I love it and want to use it, too!
A.
Art will be the last bastion when all else fades away.
~ Timothy White (b 1952), American rock music journalist

Blog: View Blog (144)

Postby Nordic » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 am

Wow. That's strange, the 2 thread universe thing going on here. I don't know how or when that happened. If mod would want to merge them that would certainly be fine by me. Thought i was seeing things there. I just got home from a brutal job quite late at night and had to take a muscle relaxant so i'm not kidding about thinking i was seeing double.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:54 am

I think the fact that there are two threads is kind of appropriate.

I also think JB knew and was consciously and deliberately bring up the Kali Yuga in this thread as a was to promote a seperate discussion about it.
Joe Hillshoist

Next

Return to General Discussion