A new earthquake thread? May as well. . .

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: A new earthquake thread? May as well. . .

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Sweet, Willow. If you've never experienced an earthquake, fellows, once it gets into your head, it's hard to shake the feeling of how sudden they just happen and at any time. Think a shallow quake at 9.0ish would throw you feet into the air once it hits and would go on for minutes with thousands of aftershocks. The denizens of Seattle for sure would be trapped as this city is TOTALLY reliant upon bridges in and out. There's no way in or out or to get around the city besides bridges or by boat. The steep hillsides would probably liquefy and where Willow is will doubtlessly be washed to sea as it is built upon fill dirt from the skid row days she mentions above, not to mention the entire area is built upon glacial till. I believe the Space Needle was engineered to withstand an 8.3 (?), is that right? It will not be fun, but will be interesting if you survive it.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Before I moved here, in the early 1990's, I had dreams of the impermanence of the place. Psychically, the geography felt uncertain, dangerous, immediately changeable. About ten years ago, I had a post apocalyptic dream. I was wandering around in an urban area trying to find shelter and I came upon a building. It looked like an old hotel from the 1920's or 1930's. After I moved into Pioneer Square, I went walking and I saw the building from my dream. The facade is exactly how I saw it in my dream, and it is an old hotel, the bottom floors of which are populated with artists, but it is dilapidated. I walk by it two or three times a week now on my way to the grocery store.

Interestingly however, the first earthquake I ever experienced was in the dead middle of Illinois, far away from the famous rim and its fault lines. The quake was somewhere in the 3 point range, but I remember it vividly, watching as the waves made a ripple through the shelving housing my old stereo. The quakes I experienced here produced PTSD symptoms. After the first, I became hyper-aware of any seeming instability, and would startle at someone getting up from a couch upon which I was also sitting. The Nisqually woke me from a sound sleep, but after my initial panic, I rode it out as on a subway, swaying in between the uprights of the bathroom door jam.

For the last eight years, I've lived over train tracks. The trains have cured me well of my ground movement PTSD, but I can sense the difference between a heavy cargo load and a 3.3 nearby. The freight puts me to sleep.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Nordic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 am

I've lived through enough of them to get pretty jittery about them. The biggest were two in one morning, back in, oh, the early 90's, before the big Northridge one hit. I was in a Holiday Inn in Irvine, up on the 12th floor or so, and these big-ass earthquakes hit. They were epicentered out in the desert, and had the epicenters been actually in LA proper, they would have been more devastating than the Northridge quake. These actually scared the HELL out of me, and like I said there were two of them, about 3 hours apart. I had the same kind of jumpiness about buildings shaking and trembling for years after that, very similar to after you've been in a car wreck. Buildings that are built over parking garages annoyed me the most, because they would always sway and vibrate whenever a car drove by beneath the floor.

Anyway, I missed my prediction for 3/15. It is now 2:00 am on March 16! Very glad to be wrong about that. But yes, it is still March.

Every time I leave town I hope the big one hits. While I'm out of town. I missed the Northridge one by just a few months. I was getting a very strong feeling of being unsafe, and it was getting stronger and stronger. I finally moved away in October and the earthquake hit in January.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:47 am

Project Willow wrote:Before I moved here, in the early 1990's, I had dreams of the impermanence of the place. Psychically, the geography felt uncertain, dangerous, immediately changeable. About ten years ago, I had a post apocalyptic dream. I was wandering around in an urban area trying to find shelter and I came upon a building. It looked like an old hotel from the 1920's or 1930's. After I moved into Pioneer Square, I went walking and I saw the building from my dream. The facade is exactly how I saw it in my dream, and it is an old hotel, the bottom floors of which are populated with artists, but it is dilapidated. I walk by it two or three times a week now on my way to the grocery store.

Interestingly however, the first earthquake I ever experienced was in the dead middle of Illinois, far away from the famous rim and its fault lines. The quake was somewhere in the 3 point range, but I remember it vividly, watching as the waves made a ripple through the shelving housing my old stereo. The quakes I experienced here produced PTSD symptoms. After the first, I became hyper-aware of any seeming instability, and would startle at someone getting up from a couch upon which I was also sitting. The Nisqually woke me from a sound sleep, but after my initial panic, I rode it out as on a subway, swaying in between the uprights of the bathroom door jam.

For the last eight years, I've lived over train tracks. The trains have cured me well of my ground movement PTSD, but I can sense the difference between a heavy cargo load and a 3.3 nearby. The freight puts me to sleep.

Dreams: Crazy!

PTSD: Totally! Me too! A lot of people thought I just needed to chill out. I thought I was feeling them and sensing the onset of one all the time. For example one time I was at QFC in the beer aisle and the refrigeration fans popped on giving the bottles a little jolt. Just that slight little noise of jingling bottles set me off. I was, as they say, jumping at shadows. A few years later, I had my brother in town and he was over at my apartment in Cap Hill. We both were about to fall asleep and all of a sudden I heard all the old windows pop and felt a slight shudder. I said "that was an earthquake". My brother didn't think so. Went to the UW website and sho nuff. I think it was like a 4.3 or something if memory serves.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:20 am

Ants can sense earthquakes a day in advance
Subodh Varma, TNN | Apr 12, 2013, 06.36 PM IST

Red wood ants have special cells called chemoreceptors which can detect changes in carbon dioxide levels.

NEW DELHI: Ants know when an earthquake is about to strike, researchers have discovered. Their behavior changes significantly prior to the quake and they resume normal functioning only a day after it.

Gabriele Berberich of the University Duisburg-Essen in Germany presented these findings on Thursday at the European Geosciences Union annual meeting in Vienna according to LiveScience.

Berberich and her colleagues discovered that red wood ants preferred to build their colonies right along active faults in Germany. They counted 15,000 ant mounds lining the faults. These faults are fractures where the Earth violently ruptures in earthquakes.

Using a special camera mounted software that tracked changes in activity, Berberich and her colleagues tracked the ants round the clock for three years, 2009 to 2012. They found that the ants' behavior changed only when the quake was over magnitude 2. There were 10 earthquakes between magnitude 2.0 and 3.2 during this period, and many smaller ones. Humans can also sense quakes of over magnitude 2 only.

According to Berberich, normal ant activity consists of going about collecting food etc. during the day and resting in the night. But before an earthquake, the ants did not retreat into their mound in the night and bustled around outside it. This strange and abnormal behavior continued till a day after the earthquake, Berberich told a news conference, according to LiveScience.

How do ants know an earthquake is coming? Berberich suggested that they could either be picking up changing gas emissions or noting tiny changes in the Earth's magnetic field. Red wood ants have special cells called chemoreceptors which can detect changes in carbon dioxide levels. They also have magnetoreceptor cells for detecting electromagnetic fields, she said.

Berberich and her colleagues are planning to continue the research in areas where there are more and bigger earthquakes.

This is the first time ants' capability to react to future earthquakes has been reported. Earlier research had established another bizarre capability of some ants - the ability to withstand high radioactivity.

Earthquake sensitivity among animals and birds has been widely reported from across the world but in no case is it so much in advance and so predictable.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home ... 514232.cms
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 am

Oklahoma rumbles from swarm of earthquakes Tuesday
At least four earthquakes have been felt in Oklahoma early Tuesday. The U.S. Geological Survey reports a 4.3 magnitude quake east of Edmond and three others

FROM STAFF REPORTS | Modified: April 16, 2013 at 4:11 am | Published: April 16, 2013 5

At least four earthquakes shook parts of Oklahoma early Tuesday.
A 4.3 magnitude earthquake occurred at 1:56 a.m. with an epicenter about 7 miles east, northeast of Luther and 22 miles east of Edmond, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Rumblings were felt across a wide portion of central Oklahoma, but there were no immediate reports of damage.
Austin Holland, a geophysicist at the Oklahoma Geological Survey in Norman, said he is gathering data about the quakes Tuesday. He said it is possible there were more than four quakes early Tuesday.
“At this point it looks like a main shock, aftershock sequence. There are even a bunch of smaller ones,” Holland said.
Seismologist Amy Vaughan, who works at the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colo., said there have been reports of four Oklahoma earthquakes early Tuesday, but information is still being gathered.
Vaughan confirmed that a 3.0 magnitude earthquake was felt at 1:45 a.m. 3 miles west, southwest of Chandler.
And at 2:16 a.m., a 3.3 magnitude earthquake was felt 4 miles east of Luther and 19 miles east of Edmond, the U.S. Geological survey reports.
At 2:15 a.m., a 2.8 magnitude earthquake was felt 8 miles north, northwest of Boley, about 54 miles east of Oklahoma City, the U.S. Geological Survey reports.
Holland said the largest quake in state history was a 5.7 magnitude earthquake November 2011 near Prague.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:34 am

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... says?lite=

A magnitude-7.8 earthquake struck Iran on Tuesday, according to the United States Geographical Survey.

A state of emergency was declared in the region, and rescue teams were dispatched from the surrounding area to the remote site, state news agency IRNA reported.

IRNA called the earthquake a "huge disaster." State-run television Press TV reported that at least 40 people had been killed, including seven in Pakistan.

Reuters cited witnesses as saying that tall buildings shook as far as way as New Delhi, India, about 1,500 miles away, with the tremors sending people running into the streets. Intense shaking was also felt in southern Pakistan.

The quake struck at 3:44 p.m. local time (6:44 a.m. ET) in southeastern Iran, about 50 miles east of the city of Khash and near the Pakistani border, the USGS reported.

The epicenter was in a thinly populated area, according to maps from the European-Mediterranean Seismological Agency.

The nearest city of any size, Khash, has a population of 70,000, the agency said.

According to the USGS, about 232,000 people live in areas where the shaking was strong; more than 2 million occupy areas where it was moderate; and another million are in territories where it was classified as light.

Soon after the quake, reports from those who felt it came pouring in to the EMSA from places including Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

A witness in Karachi, Pakistan, which is almost 400 miles from the epicenter, said, "I felt my laptop and table shake noticeably."

Pakistan state television said aftershocks were rattling the region at 7:30 a.m. ET.

In Fujairah, UAE, slightly farther away, a witness reported to EMSA "some shaking and trembling" and "everyone on the streets," adding, "Hanging things were swinging."

A witness in Dubai, which is famous for its imposing skyscrapers, said her office building swayed for around 20 seconds and was evacuated.

In New Delhi, a witness reported feeling two shocks a few seconds apart. "The first was short and slight, and the second was stronger and lasted longer -- maybe 10 seconds."

Tuesday's quake was the second significant one in Iran in a week.

An April 9 earthquake near the country's only nuclear power plant killed 37 people and injured at least 850 more, leaving entire villages devastated.

Despite the scare caused by that quake, Iran pledged that it would continue to build more reactors in the heavily seismic region, which is hundreds of miles from the site of the latest temblor, on the other side of the country's south.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

seemslikeadream wrote:
Oklahoma rumbles from swarm of earthquakes Tuesday
At least four earthquakes have been felt in Oklahoma early Tuesday. The U.S. Geological Survey reports a 4.3 magnitude quake east of Edmond and three others

Five Earthquakes Shake Oklahoma Within Hours of Each Other This Morning…
(News 9) — OKLAHOMA CITY – Several earthquakes shook central Oklahoma in the early morning hours of Tuesday, including one that hit while News 9 was on the air.

News 9 received hundreds of phone calls, emails, Facebook and Twitter messages soon after the first earthquake hit.

The first quake was reported around 1:45 a.m. about three miles west of Chandler. The United State Geological Survey says it had a magnitude of 3.0.

Fifteen minutes later, the strongest earthquake of the morning hit the Oklahoma City metro area. The 4.3 quake was centered near Luther, 29 miles east and northeast of Oklahoma City. This earthquake awakened many residents and shook buildings from Oklahoma City to Stillwater.

The USGS reported a third quake at 2:15 a.m. near Boley, Oklahoma. This one had a magnitude of 2.8. One minute later, a fourth early-morning quake shook the area of Luther and Choctaw. The USGS says this one had a magnitude of 3.3.

At 5:16 a.m., a fifth earthquake measuring 4.2 was recorded four miles east northeast of Luther. This one struck while News 9 Meteorologist Jed Castles was on the air sharing the forecast, but he was so focused Stan Miller and Bobbie Miller had to interrupt him and point out the lights in the studio were swinging because of the latest earthquake.

There have been some reports of minor damage from Tuesday morning’s earthquakes, but no reports of injuries.

USGS information:

Magnitude, Location, Depth

1.3.0 Chandler, Oklahoma 4.9
2.4.3 Luther, Oklahoma 5.0
3.2.8 Boley, Oklahoma 5.0
4.3.3 Luther, Oklahoma 5.0
5.4.2 Luther, Oklahoma 5.0

http://www.news9.com/story/21987133/mul ... e-oklahoma
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Pele'sDaughter wrote:http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/16/17776319-major-earthquake-strikes-iran-usgs-says?lite=

A magnitude-7.8 earthquake struck Iran on Tuesday, according to the United States Geographical Survey.

Thanks for this PD!
elfismiles

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 am

crash boom bang quake

Around 30 earthquakes rocked a volcanic island south of Tokyo on Wednesday, the national meteorological agency said.

TOKYO: Around 30 earthquakes, one of them which measured magnitude 6.2, rocked a volcanic island south of Tokyo on Wednesday, the national meteorological agency said.

The biggest tremor shook Miyake Island, which lies 175 kilometres (110 miles) south of Tokyo, at around 5:57 pm (0857 GMT). Its depth was 20 kilometres and there was no risk of a tsunami, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

"There may be slight changes in the level of sea along Japan's coast but there is no fear of damage resulting from this quake," it added.

The volcano erupted in 2000, forcing all 3,800 islanders to evacuate. Many of them have since returned to the island.

According to the agency, there have not been any signs of increased volcanic activity.

Tremors were felt across a wide area, including Tokyo, where police said three people had suffered minor injuries.

The authorities on Miyake reported that landslides had blocked some roads.

In Tokyo, the Prime Minister's office set up a committee to monitor the situation.

Later Wednesday, a 5.8 magnitude earthquake with a depth of 60 kilometres was felt in Japan's northeast, off the coast of Miyagi prefecture -- the area worst hit by the tsunami of March 2011.

The quake hit at 9.03 pm local time (12.03 GMT), the meteorological agency said, and was felt across a large part of the northeast.

At least one person suffered minor injuries, according to local media.

There were no immediate reports of further damage in Fukushima and Onagawa, which were devastated in 2011.

Tokyo Electric Power Co said no abnormalities had been reported at its Fukushima Daiichi and Daini nuclear power plants, according to Kyodo news agency.

Fukushima was the site of the worst nuclear crisis in a generation triggered by the 2011 tsunami -- reactors went into meltdown and spewed radiation over a wide area, forcing tens of thousands of people from their homes.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby conniption » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 am

4/19/2014 -- Multiple 7.0M+ events -- Major Earthquake unrest showing Globally - BE PREPARED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcs6IStI6kw

Published on Apr 19, 2014

In the past 30 days, we've seen NINETEEN 6.0M+ earthquakes... SEVEN 7.0M+ earthquakes... and TWO 8.0M+ events (with tsunami warnings issued for each).

EXCESSIVE earthquake movement taking place over the past 3 weeks, internationally, and nationally in the US.

In the past 7 days we've seen FIVE 6.0M+ earthquakes, and THREE 7.0M+ earthquakes. This is something we need to be watching intently.

____

Watch the April 15th earthquake update video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBto...

____

In the same time frame, multiple volcanic eruptions in Central America, and South America.. as well as plume events from Oil / Gas wells, and dormant volcanoes in the USA.

Also, heavy swarm activity in the Western Yellowstone Supervolcano magma chamber, and now movement in Southern California. 5.0M event near Puerto Rico as well.

Plumes in the USA here:

http://dutchsinse.tatoott1009.com/418...

http://dutchsinse.tatoott1009.com/418...
conniption

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 am

I dunno. When the big shake comes and it surely will, it will be accompanied by an en masse shifting of the earth's plates, which, thanks to the hydrofracking that's been occurring in 30 of our US states, in an odd way gives me some sense of comfort.

At that moment I might feel differently, I don't know. Perhaps I should explain why such a disastrous event would be comforting, as I can sense most would take this view as based upon nothing more than a profoundly false sense of security. Hydrofracking as quite completely shattered our stable connection to earth's crust, so when the big shake comes the ground beneath us we believe to be solid, will swallow us as though it was dry quicksand, ending life quickly.

I really don't want to pretend to try to outrun flowing molten lava only to make an ash of myself and neither do I desire to choke to death with lungs seared by the earth's scorching toxic vomitus.

Who thinks about such things?!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Perelandra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 am

I do, but I live with a geologist, so there's much discussion of the natural world around here. Iam, I'm having trouble understanding this statement and would appreciate any further information:
Hydrofracking has quite completely shattered our stable connection to earth's crust, so when the big shake comes the ground beneath us we believe to be solid, will swallow us as though it was dry quicksand, ending life quickly.

Is seismic activity a new focus for the wacky radar dude? Not that I care.

Following article is from the USGS.

Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby elfismiles » Sat May 31, 2014 12:50 pm

Author Says Earthquakes Are Predictable (Audio)
By: Andrew LimbergMay 29, 2014 12:19 PM

PITTSBURGH (NewsRadio 1020 KDKA) – They are pretty rare in our area, but every few years the Pittsburgh area will feel an earthquake that will shake the ground enough to give us a scare. Mainstream science says that earthquakes cannot be predicted, but David Nabhan author of “Earthquake Prediction: Answers in Plain Slight” says otherwise.

Nabhan is a former teacher in California and now lives in Pittsburgh. He became interested in earthquakes while he was the earthquake preparedness coordinator for the school he worked at. He says he noticed every earthquake happened at dusk or dawn.

“I realized this sort of conscience doesn’t happen in science. These dawn and dusk quakes during new and full moons are the paradigm on the west coast,” he said. “All six great quakes that have struck in Los Angeles that have killed people since the 30s, all of them, dawn or dusk [quakes].

How can earthquakes be predicted? Nabhan says that it is the, “conjoined lunar and solar gravitational tides,” are what cause them.

“Just imagine the muscle required to move our oceans around every day. Our fractured fault lines are not immune to this [power],” he said.

Nabhan says that there has never been a new idea in science that wasn’t accepted without a fight.

So, when will the next big earthquakes happen?

Nabhan says July 12 and Sept. 9, between 4:45 to 7:55 a.m. and/or p.m.

For more information you can visit www.earthquakepredictors.com

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/05/ ... edictable/
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion