Sun's Hillsborough front page

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Sun's Hillsborough front page

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 am

ImageImageImageImage

Hillsborough Disaster: Secret Papers Released In 1989 UK Stadium Tragedy
By DAVID STRINGER 09/12/12 03:49 PM ET
In this April 15, 1989 file photo, showing police, stewards and supporters as they tend to wounded soccer supporters on the field at Hillsborough Stadium, in Sheffield, England. (AP Photo, File)
LONDON — British police and medics whose failures contributed to the deaths of 96 soccer fans in the country's worst sports disaster unfairly blamed the dead for the 1989 tragedy and sought to cover up their actions, newly disclosed documents revealed Wednesday.

The documents vindicated efforts by the victims' families, who had spent 23 years demanding a full accounting of the events at Hillsborough stadium that killed fans of the Liverpool soccer team. Most of the victims were crushed and suffocated in a standing-only section after they were herded there by police.

Prime Minister David Cameron issued a full apology Wednesday for the wrongdoing of authorities and the subsequent cover-up, saying that Britain had been shamed for more than 20 years by its reluctance to expose the errors that led to the deaths. Lawmakers in the House of Commons gasped and wept as he spoke.

Relatives of the dead had suffered the "failure of the state to protect their loved ones and the indefensible wait to get to the truth – and the injustice of the denigration of the deceased, that they were somehow at fault for their own deaths," Cameron said.

"I am profoundly sorry for this double injustice that has been left uncorrected for so long," he told lawmakers.

The tragedy took place during an FA Cup semifinal between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989, at the stadium in Sheffield, northern England. A total of 94 supporters died that day – two more died later, one in 1993 – and almost 800 others were injured when police officers herded around 2,000 Liverpool fans into caged-in enclosures that were already full.

The response to the disaster transformed British sports, bringing the introduction of all-seated soccer stadiums for elite clubs. That, in turn, helped the teams drive out the remnants of hooliganism that had long tainted British soccer and heralded a shift in the demographics of sports fans. Improved stadium safety meant more families and women attended matches, but having stadium seats also caused ticket prices to rise – pricing out some of soccer's traditional working-class fan base.

After an era in which violent English football fans had been the scourge of Europe, the changes eventually instilled new confidence in Britain's ability to host sports events. That attitude was reflected this summer in London's hugely successful – and trouble-free – hosting of the 2012 Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

Following a lengthy campaign by victims' relatives to learn the full details of the Hillsborough disaster, a government-appointed panel reviewed and released 400,000 pages of previously undisclosed documents from police, the government and local authorities.

Bishop James Jones of Liverpool, who led the panel, said the documents offered clear evidence of failures by British authorities. He said they showed authorities' extensive attempts to shift blame for the tragedy onto fans and some proof that a number of Liverpool fans were denied medical treatment that could have saved their lives

"The tragedy should never have happened," Jones said. "There were clear operational failures in response to the disaster and in its aftermath there were strenuous attempts to deflect the blame onto the fans."

Panel member Dr. Bill Kirkup, previously associate chief medical officer at Britain's health ministry, told reporters evidence showed 41 of the dead had at least the "potential to survive," although he could not be certain that a speedier response would have saved them all.

Tests were carried out on possible alcohol levels in the bloodstreams of the dead – including children – for "no apparent medical reason," and police officers had consulted a national database to check whether victims had criminal records, all in an effort to "impugn the reputations of the deceased," the report said.

Among its other conclusions, the panel found that:

1. Problems with overcrowding and crushes at Hillsborough were well known but ignored by authorities.

2. A total of 116 of 164 police statements were amended to "remove or alter comments unfavorable to" South Yorkshire Police, while the South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service also tampered with statements.

3. Police and ambulance staff were slow to act and interpreted crowd unrest as a prelude to a riot rather than a sign of distress.

4. The senior police officer at the stadium falsely told his superiors that Liverpool fans had broken into the stadium and caused the fatal crush, while then-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was told by police that drunkenness and violent crowd behavior were to blame.

Although some compensation payments have been paid by police, no individual or organization has ever faced criminal charges in connection with the Hillsborough calamity. James Saunders, a lawyer for the families of the victims, said Wednesday's disclosures meant that "those persons who have lied, concealed and distorted evidence should now be brought to account before the law personally."

Responding to the disclosures, lawmakers sharply criticized The Sun, Rupert Murdoch's tabloid, for its role in publicizing the false police allegations against Liverpool fans.

In an infamous front-page story headlined "The Truth," the newspaper inaccurately claimed that some fans had urinated on police officers who were attempting to resuscitate the dying and others had stolen from the dead.

Kelvin MacKenzie, editor of The Sun at the time, said he had "published in good faith and I am sorry that it was so wrong." Relatives dismissed his apology.

David Crompton, the current chief constable of South Yorkshire Police, also said he was "profoundly sorry for the way the force failed."

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, whose 10-year-old cousin Jon-Paul Gilhooley was the youngest fatality, praised the courage and dignity shown by the Hillsborough families and survivors.

"For 23 years they have fought for truth and justice on behalf of the victims and survivors of this terrible tragedy and all Liverpool supporters," Gerrard said. "Speaking as someone whose family directly suffered, I know the pain and hurt will remain. However, I hope that today's report helps bring some comfort, now that everyone knows what happened."

Cameron said Attorney General Dominic Grieve would likely apply to Britain's High Court to overturn the verdict from the original inquest hearing, which ruled in 1991 that the deaths were accidental. That would mean a new hearing into the Hillsborough deaths would take place.

Accidents at stadiums have plagued nations worldwide for decades. FIFA, the governing body for world football, says at least 1,500 people have died and about 6,000 were injured in 60 major incidents at sports events between 1971 and 2012.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Sun's Hillsborough front page

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 am

Although some compensation payments have been paid by police, no individual or organization has ever faced criminal charges in connection with the Hillsborough calamity. James Saunders, a lawyer for the families of the victims, said Wednesday's disclosures meant that "those persons who have lied, concealed and distorted evidence should now be brought to account before the law personally."

I sure hope and pray justice will be served at last.

I used to be a regular reader of the Liverpool Echo.

Good local paper.

Yes, I'm a scouser.

Fancy that.

With long scruffy hair.

I'm middle aged now of course.

But I never went to a rough comprehensive.

More the opposite.

No, Christian Brothers boys only Public School for me.

Quite prestigious.

And no-one ever called me a hooligan or anything.

I got a free place 'coz I wuz dead brainy.

They called me a swot, but I knew that I already knew more than my teachers.

The Lords of Karma are active in this sphere.

If you like Schadenfreude, it will be a gourmet banquet.

Me, not so much.

I regret all the misfortune in this world.

ps I practise Ahimsa. Non violence. I'm not like King Mob at all.

Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ShinShinKid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 am

Let's syncho up...I live on Liverpool Street!

:yay
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 am

Damn.

Forgot I wrote that.

Should have deleted that one!

It's a dead giveaway!

Anway, Kid.

Check yer pm's.

One day.

Hammer of Los

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Joe Hillshoist

Postby Rory » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/david_conn

See the whole timeline but this stands out

Hillsborough: PC Groome: Officers at the meeting to shift the blame were all freemasons. Duckenfield "was grand master of influential lodge"
6:35am - 17 Dec 14

80's Britain under Thatcher. A country ran by paedophiles and freemasons
Rory

Postby dbcooper41 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm

espn did a pretty good special on this as part of their 30/30 series.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espns-30-30-soccer-stories-694728
dbcooper41

Postby 82_28 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Not to be a dick or take anything away from the tragedy, but it's soccer! I cannot conceive of a more boring sport on Earth. I've worked in a sports bar and have had to put the Sounders on as well as world cup shit and do not understand why people care about this sport. It's timed wrong, it's scored wrong, penalties are all wrong, substitutions are wrong, the field is named wrong (pitch), they aren't games but "matches" and I've never seen anyone ever cheer over a 0-0 tie (sorry nil nil draw) before. I think it could be way improved.

Point being, I just don't know how or why anyone cares what happens, because nothing does happen. I think this frenzy was just the act of the hyped up crowd feeding themselves off themselves because there is no action in soccer. Many a mosh pit has been had since with little to no issue like this.

I'll never get soccer. And I played it for a year. Again not being a dick, just soccer sucks and that would be damned lame way to go.

BTW, I found out a few weeks ago that the reason why American football is called "football" is because the "ball" is a foot long, the game being played in inches, feet and yards.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:03 am

Hillsborough: 96 soccer fans unlawfully killed, jury finds
By Samantha Bresnahan, CNN
Updated 1248 GMT (1948 HKT) April 26, 2016

20 photos: Hillsborough disaster: The inquest concludes
The game was stopped at six minutes past three. Moments before the players were taken off the pitch, fans had begun climbing over fences behind Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar's goal to escape the crush.

Long fight for truth over disaster in which 96 fans died
Police planning errors 'caused or contributed' to disaster
Jurors find fan behavior played no part in tragedy
(CNN)After more than two years, a British inquest into the 1989 Hillsborough soccer stadium tragedy in which 96 men, women and children died, has delivered its verdicts on a series of key questions. It is the longest case heard by a jury in British legal history.

The jury's findings include:
-- The 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed, jurors concluded by a 7-2 majority.
-- Match commander Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield's actions amounted to "gross negligence" due to breach of his duty of care to fans.
-- Police planning errors "caused or contributed to" the dangerous situation that developed on the day of the disaster.
-- The 96 victims were killed due to crushing following the admission of a large number of fans through exit gates.
-- Fan behavior did not cause or contribute to the tragedy.
-- Both the police and the ambulance service caused or contributed to the loss of life by error or omission after the crush had begun to develop
-- UK Crown Prosecution Service will now consider criminal charges.
-- Relatives of victims sing Liverpool Football Club anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" as they emerge from court in Warrington after verdicts delivered.
Families break out in song after Hillsborough verdict

Families break out in song after Hillsborough verdict 01:39
The 14 questions the jurors were asked
Hillsborough disaster: 'Any fan would have known people were in trouble'
In his office in Yorkshire, Trevor Hicks takes a worn yellow envelope out of a binder. He carefully folds back the flap, pulling out a pair of gold hoop earrings and a small, square piece of paper.
The items belonged to his youngest daughter, and they are all he has left from the day everything changed.
He looks at the crinkled piece of paper that was her match ticket. "Well it was a death pass, wasn't it, in the end?" he says quietly.
April 15, 1989, began like any other big match day. Liverpool Football Club was to play Nottingham Forest in the semifinals of England's FA Cup. The chosen venue was a neutral ground -- Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, the home of Sheffield Wednesday.
Fans of both teams flocked to the stadium from across the country. Among them were the Hicks family -- Trevor, his wife Jenni, and their two teenage daughters, Sarah and Vicki.
"It was the one thing we did as a family," Trevor says. "Support Liverpool Football Club."
Trevor and Jenni Hicks with their daughters Vicki (far left) and Sarah
Trevor and Jenni Hicks with their daughters Vicki (far left) and Sarah
The girls were avid fans. They knew stats about all the players, and had posters on their walls. The 1980s were a great time to be a Liverpool supporter. The team had dominated English and European competitions for years, and the expectations for 1989 were no different.
Read: Liverpool defeat Dortmund in Europa League thriller
'The English disease'
But football itself was very different back then. It was scarred by hooliganism, with a minority of fans prone to drunkenness, organized violence and pitch invasions. In the prevailing attitude, all fans were painted with that brush. Across Europe, football hooliganism had become known as the "English disease."
Four years before Hillsborough, 39 fans had been killed in a stadium stampede at a European Cup final between Liverpool and Italian club Juventus.
Football grounds were also different. In the 1980s, the amount of seating was often limited, with many supporters instead standing on tiered concrete steps known as terraces.
Because of the problem of hooliganism, fences were constructed around these terraces, splitting them into individual pens and keeping fans corralled inside from the sides and the front.
On top of that, most stadiums were old and decrepit, not in any shape to be holding the number of people that they did.
"The condition of the stadiums... we took it for granted," says Phil Scraton, researcher and author of the book Hillsborough: The Truth. "We would cheer when people were handed down who fainted [on the terraces], and they were handed down to the front and passed over to the ambulance people. We cheered -- it was just part of the way it was."
Read: Spirit of Shankly -- the abandoned village that bred footballers
'I desperately wanted to stand with the girls'
On April 15, 1989, more than 50,000 football fans wove their way through the residential streets surrounding Hillsborough.
The Leppings Lane end of the ground would be dedicated to Liverpool's fans. Nearly half of them were expected to pass, single-file, through just 23 narrow turnstiles that led to the terracing on the lower level of the two-deck stand.
Included in that group was the Hicks family. "We had three tickets for the standing and one for the seating," says Jenni. "I desperately wanted to stand with the girls but, as it turned out, it was the girls who said: 'No mum, you're too little. You won't be able to see.'"
Liverpool players remember Hillsborough disaster

Liverpool players remember Hillsborough disaster 04:17
Jenni went off to her seat. Trevor wanted a cup of coffee, so the girls went down a tunnel marked "standing" that led to central pens three and four of the Leppings Lane terrace.
Back outside the turnstiles, a crush was beginning to develop. There were too many people trying to get through as kickoff approached. One decision made by police to ease the growing congestion outside the stand would prove to have devastating consequences inside.
The order to open Gate C
On matchday, Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield, of South Yorkshire Police, had a big task ahead of him. Just two weeks earlier, he had been assigned as the officer in charge of the Hillsborough semifinal. It was his first big match.
Faced with the overcrowding at the Leppings Lane turnstiles, Duckenfield made a decision. He gave the order to open Gate C, an exit gate, to ease the crush of Liverpool supporters trying to get in.
An additional 2,000 fans streamed in but, once inside, there were no officials on hand to tell them where to go. All they saw was the tunnel marked standing, taking them into pens three and four, which were already over-full.
"It didn't look right to me when I first took my seat," Jenni recalls. "All the supporters seemed to be in the middle."
"As things developed, you could see there was not just the normal crush in there," Trevor adds.
'It was obvious it wasn't a pitch invasion'
The game kicked off, as scheduled, at 3pm. Jenni doesn't even remember that happening. Her focus was solely on the two central pens, where her teenage daughters were standing.
As Trevor had gone to get himself a coffee, he had noticed a sign pointing to the side pens instead of to the tunnel. He was not in the central pens but, like his wife, was watching them intently. That's when he noticed that people were trying to climb over the fence.

"It was obvious to any of us -- it wasn't a pitch invasion," he says. "Any football fan in the world who was there would have known that people were in trouble."
The fences around the pens at Hillsborough trapped the fans at the sides and the front. And because of the surge of additional fans from the opening of the exit gate, they were trapped from the back as well. They couldn't move, they couldn't breathe. They were being crushed.
Six minutes into the game, play was stopped. The teams were sent from the pitch. Liverpool fans began helping their injured fellow supporters, using pitchside advertising boards as makeshift stretchers. Jenni made her way from the seats back out to Leppings Lane to wait for her family.
"You keep this hope that it doesn't happen to you," she says. "It's not going to be my family -- keep it together, it's not going to be your family. It was just chaotic really, and then more and more fans come out. And then finally nobody came."
'There were casualties all around us'
Back on the terrace, Trevor had been searching desperately for his two girls. When he found them, they were lying almost side by side on the grass of the playing area.
"There were casualties all over the pitch, all around us," he remembers. "We put Vicki in an ambulance, and we turned to get Sarah, but the ambulance started to move off. And what I've often said was one of the low points was do I go or do I stay?"
Trevor made the painful decision to leave 19-year-old Sarah behind. He figured there would be another ambulance right behind to help her. But none came.
He rode with 15-year-old Vicki to the Northern General Hospital. Shortly after they arrived, she was pronounced dead.
In a time before cellphones and social media, Jenni had no way of knowing where her family was. No one had any information. Families were bounced from hospital to hospital, and then sent to a run-down boy's club to wait.
Eventually, Jenni was reunited with Trevor. They still didn't know where Sarah was, or whether she was still alive.

They were taken to Hillsborough's gymnasium, which had become a temporary morgue. At the very least, they were told, they could see Vicki there.
"Before we could see her, we had to look at this big green board, and it had Polaroid photographs of all the dead on it," Jenni says.
"They asked us to identify our daughters, but I said we're only looking for Sarah. So we looked at the board, and I think there were 80 or so photographs at this point.
"I didn't see Sarah, and I can remember the sense of relief that she wasn't on this board. So I said to the police officer that was sitting beside the board: 'She's not there,' and I was really pleased because I thought this meant she was still alive somewhere.
"And he said: 'Look again, love.' And when I looked again, I saw her. And that's when I realized it was both of them."
"You're trying to get your head around it," Trevor says. "You go to a football match on a lovely sunny morning and you come home without your daughters, who are in a body bag back in Sheffield."
Sarah, Vicki, and 94 others lost their lives that day in April 1989. It remains Britain's deadliest sporting disaster.
The lie of 'the truth'
But the nightmare would continue. In the immediate aftermath, the police claimed drunk, ticketless fans had arrived late at the stadium, causing the crush and the deaths.
The lie went around the world almost immediately, spread on radio and television broadcasts. A few days later, the headline "The Truth," on the front page of British tabloid newspaper The Sun, made this tragic situation even worse.
Hillsborough survivor: 'It was like a war scene'

Hillsborough survivor: 'It was like a war scene' 03:46
"People initially were stunned that the truth could be so quickly fabricated," Scraton says. "Within days, they were being held responsible for the deaths of their loved ones or their friends.
"So it hit people at their most traumatized, and I think it united the city and the region around a search for what they considered to be the real truth."
The lie was obvious to Trevor and Jenni, too. The identification of their two girls turned into an interrogation, including endless questions about what they had had to drink that day.
"Trevor was talking about this being a cover-up," Jenni says. "He said: 'You can see by the questions we're being asked in the media, what the media is saying, that there's a dirty tricks campaign going on with the South Yorkshire Police. We've got to fight these allegations, we've got to make sure that the real truth is told about what happened.'"
The Hillsborough Independent Panel
The fight for the real truth spanned more than two decades. Through inquests, investigations, and denials, the "truth" of Hillsborough remained.
Then came a government agreement for all documents related to the tragedy to be released and handed to the Hillsborough Independent Panel, chaired by the Bishop of Liverpool.
The panel sifted through more than 450,000 pages. The evidence they found was overwhelming, and shocking.
As many as 41 of the 96 victims could have been saved if they had received prompt medical attention.
Hundreds of police statements had been altered -- lines removed, words copied, passages changed, to fit the storyline that fans were to blame.
The evidence didn't end there. The blood alcohol level of every deceased supporter, including from a child as young as 10, was taken on the night of the disaster. Criminal records were searched for in an attempt to "impugn reputations," the panel found.
Hillsborough's safety license was 10 years out of date, and the number of turnstiles at Leppings Lane was never going to be enough to accommodate the number of fans.
Duckenfield's admission
The report, delivered to the families on September 12, 2012, was a crucial turning point. The original inquest verdict from 1990, of accidental death, was thrown out.
A new inquest was ordered, and began on March 31, 2014. Trevor and Jenni were there. So were relatives of most of the 96.
"We think the truth will be out this time," Trevor said that day. "Obviously public opinion is more on our side than it was last time. All we're asking for is the facts, the truth, and only what we should have had 25 years ago."
Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy

Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy 02:51
Evidence was heard on the circumstances of each victim's death. Months passed by. And then, a year after the inquest began, Duckenfield was called to testify. After the disaster, he had claimed that the exit gate was forced open by fans.
On March 11, 2015, he took the witness stand to answer questions from counsel Christina Lambert.
Ms. Lambert: Did you believe that the unauthorised access of fans at 2:48pm was either a cause or part of the cause of the problem?
Mr. Duckenfield: Ma'am, the only thing I can think of, it was a chapter in a sequence of events. But being absolutely honest about the situation, I made a dreadful mistake, not realizing the consequences of what I was doing.
Ms. Lambert: So that we follow you, which dreadful mistake are you referring to?
Mr. Duckenfield: [It] was not telling Mr Kelly [Graham Kelly, the then chief executive of the Football Association] that the gates had been opened by me and that may have contributed to the disaster.
Ms. Lambert: Do you now consider that you told Mr Kelly and others something that was not true?
Mr. Duckenfield: Yes, ma'am.
Ms. Lambert: Do you consider now that you told them a lie?
Mr. Duckenfield: Yes, ma'am.
His admission was met with gasps from the relatives in the room.
'There can be no closure for Hillsborough'
April 15 this year will see the last official Hillsborough memorial service to be held at Liverpool's Anfield ground. The families, and the survivors, are ready to remember those lost in private after the public battle they have had to wage for the past 27 years.
"People talk about the word 'closure,'" Scraton says. "It is an arrogant word imposed by those who have not suffered on those who have.
"There can be no closure for Hillsborough. They have lost their loved ones in circumstances that were wholly avoidable. What you can do through delivering justice, and delivering the truth, is to help people cope with their loss better, and help them to live life better."
For Trevor and Jenni, life goes on, together, but apart. The strain of the aftermath of the disaster was too much for their 23-year marriage. Just 15 months after the events of Hillsborough, they were divorced.
But the constant that remains is the love for their two daughters, Sarah and Vicki.
"They're still a huge part of my life now," Jenni says. "I get so much love from them. My love has grown for them -- it hasn't diminished. And I know I get that love back."
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:23 am

Hillsborough disaster: South Yorkshire Police's David Duckenfield among six to be charged over deaths of 96 victims
Former South Yorkshire Police Chief Superintendent faces manslaughter charges

Lizzie Dearden @lizziedearden Wednesday 28 June 2017 17:02 BST

Former South Yorkshire Police match commander David Duckenfield Reuters
Six people are to face criminal charges over the Hillsborough disaster, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has said.

Among them is David Duckenfield, South Yorkshire Police's former Chief Superintendent who acted as match commander on 15 April 1989.

He ordered a gate into the Sheffield football stadium to be opened to ease overcrowding outside, without taking measures to prevent the rush of thousands of fans through a narrow tunnel into central pens.

​Duckenfield will be charged with the manslaughter of 95 people, while Sheffield Wednesday secretary and safety officer Graham Henry Mackrell is accused of safety contraventions.

Peter Metcalf, the solicitor acting for the South Yorkshire Police during the Taylor Inquiry and the first inquests, is accused of attempting to pervert the course of public justice, as are former Chief Superintendent Donald Denton and former Detective Chief Inspector Alan Foster, who stand accused of altering witness statements.

Metcalf is accused of recommending alterations, deletions and amendments to witness statements “for which there appear to be no justification” while defending South Yorkshire Police at the first inquiry in 1999.

Denton and Foster are accused of carrying out the changes.

Former Chief Constable Norman Bettison is to be charged with four offences of misconduct in public office relating to “telling alleged lies about his involvement in the aftermath of Hillsborough and the culpability of fans”, the CPS said.

All defendants apart from Duckenfield, will appear at Warrington Magistrates’ Court on 9 August.

Hillsborough survivors
To prosecute Duckenfield, the CPS is applying to the High Court to lift a stay imposed by a judge at the end of a private prosecution in 1999.

Families were overjoyed at the decision, announced 14 months after an inquest jury found the 96 victims had been unlawfully killed.

They had gathered in Warrington to be informed of the CPS’s decision by Sue Hemming, head of its special crime division, after a 28-year battle for justice.

She emphasised that the defendants have a right to a fair trial and it was vital that no reporting, commentary or online information should be published that could affect the proceedings.

“We will allege that David Duckenfield’s failures to discharge his personal responsibility were extraordinarily bad and contributed substantially to the deaths of each of those 96 people who so tragically and unnecessarily lost their lives,” Ms Hemming added.

“We are unable to charge the manslaughter of Anthony Bland, the 96th casualty, as he died almost four years later.”

Operation Resolve, which investigated the causes of the disaster, and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) passed files of evidence relating to 23 suspects, including individuals and organisations, to the CPS earlier this year.

Hillsborough families react to inquest conclusions

The body decided not to prosecute six other police officers, Sheffield Wednesday PLC, the Football Association (FA), the South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service or three specific ambulance service employees.

Television coverage of the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest showed the disaster unfolding as people were crushed against the front of metal pens.

In April 2016, an inquest jury found policing caused or contributed to a dangerous situation developing at the Leppings Lane turnstiles, as did the decision to open the exit gates.

The inquest also concluded that Liverpool fans were in no way to blame for the fatal crush, following police allegations in the aftermath of the tragedy that were published in newspapers, including The Sun’s infamous “The Truth” front page.

The jury also identified errors in the construction and layout of the stadium, the safety certification of the ground, its management by Sheffield Wednesday FC and the response by the ambulance service.

The fresh inquest began in March 2014, two years after the Hillsborough Independent Panel report quashed the original inquests’ verdict of accidental death.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 11691.html
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Return to General Discussion