Jimmy Savile: I'd like to comment but I can't...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Jimmy Savile: I'd like to comment but I can't...

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 pm

"I think Savile was a Left Hand Path Adept"

Perhaps. More likely owned and directed by a left hand adept, enjoying all the while the power of the perverse.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:37 am

Former prime ministers, now deceased, are no longer off limits... I wonder when/if we will ever get to senior politicians still serving/recently retired...?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... chdog-ipcc

Ted Heath: IPCC to investigate alleged coverup of child abuse claims

The police watchdog is to investigate an alleged coverup of child sex abuse claims against the former prime minister Edward Heath.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission will investigate whether Wiltshire police shelved a criminal inquiry after a suspect in another case threatened to expose the former Conservative premier as a paedophile.

Investigators will also attempt to discover whether the force pursued the suspect’s claims against Heath, which were made in the 90s.

Separately, Wiltshire police has reopened its own inquiries into claims of abuse against Heath, who was the prime minister between 1970 and 1974 and lived in Salisbury for many years. He died in 2005 aged 89

The developments come amid a flurry of historical abuse allegations against prominent figures. The IPCC’s latest inquiry has been triggered by a retired senior officer who served as a constable in Wiltshire police in the 90s.

The watchdog said in a statement: “The IPCC is to investigate allegations that Wiltshire police didn’t pursue a prosecution when a person threatened to say Sir Edward Heath may have been involved in offences concerning children. In addition to this allegation, the IPCC will examine whether Wiltshire police subsequently took any steps to investigate these claims.”

The commission will investigate claims that a suspect in a criminal inquiry threatened to expose Heath as a child abuser if pursued for an alleged criminal offence.

Speaking outside Heath’s former home in the grounds of Salisbury cathedral, Supt Sean Memory said: “The allegation is that a trial was due to take place in the 1990s and information was received in that trial that Sir Ted Heath was involved in the abuse of children and the allegation is from the result of that information that the trial never took place.

“A retired senior police officer has come forward towards the end of 2014 indicating that they were aware of this information.”“So between then and March this year we have worked tirelessly to establish the facts of that allegation to a point where in March this year we have made a mandatory referral to the Independent Police Complaints commission who are leading the investigation into whether we did in fact mishandle that case in the 1990s.”

A spokesman for Wiltshire police added: “Following the announcement today regarding an independent investigation by the IPCC into allegations concerning how Wiltshire police handled an alleged claim of child sex abuse made in the 1990s, we are carrying out inquiries to identify if there are any witnesses or victims who support the allegations of child sex abuse.”

He confirmed Heath had been “named in relation to offences concerning children”, adding: “He lived in Salisbury for many years and we would like to hear from anyone who has any relevant information that may assist us in our inquiries or anyone who believes they may have been a victim.”

The Labour MP Tom Watson said: “I received information in 2012 concerning allegations of child abuse carried out by Edward Heath and a separate
claim concerning Heath was made to me subsequently. I passed them both to the police, who have confirmed to me that at least one of those allegations is being investigated and taken seriously.”

There have been repeated allegations of child sexual abuse in the 70s and 80s involving senior politicians and MPs. Ministers have appointed a New Zealand judge, Justice Lowell Goddard, to head an independent inquiry into child abuse, both connected to official institutions and elsewhere. Thousands of victims are being invited to testify.

Separately, the home secretary, Theresa May, has commissioned a review into whether there had been a coverup of the Home Office’s handling of child abuse allegations in the 80s. The report, by Peter Wanless, the chief executive of the NSPCC, concluded that this could not be proven.

The report into 114 missing Home Office files relating to child abuse in the 80s said last year there was no evidence that they were “deliberately or systematically removed or destroyed to cover up organised child abuse”.

“There might have been a coverup,” May said. “I cannot stand here and say the Home Office was not involved in a coverup in the 1980s and that is why I am determined to get to the truth of this.”

Government papers uncovered last month in the wake of the Wanless report revealed that the then director general of MI5 corresponded with the cabinet secretary in 1986 about an unnamed MP who was alleged to have “a penchant for small boys” but accepted the politician’s word that he did not.

These papers also mentioned the former home secretary Leon Brittan in the context of such inquiries, as well as Margaret Thatcher’s parliamentary private secretary, the late Sir Peter Morrison, former diplomat Sir Peter Hayman and former minister Sir William van Straubenzee.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Never thought it would get this far tbh, though as you say the proof that this is a genuine investigation and not just dealing with the low hanging dead people fruit will be if any living people are named.
gnosticheresy_2

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:18 am

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/j ... rion-jones

BBC forced out team behind Savile exposé, says ex-Newsnight journalist

Last modified on Friday 31 July 2015 12.58 EDT

Meirion Jones claims corporation bosses viewed as ‘traitors’ those who sought to expose the presenter’s crimes or criticised its mistakes

BBC journalists will be afraid of speaking out about the next big BBC scandal after seeing how those who tried to expose Jimmy Savile were forced out, according to the former head of investigations at Newsnight.

Merion Jones said the way he and other journalists who complained about the way the BBC handled the scandal were pressured to leave.

He said: “We were told at the time that you won’t be sacked, but over a year or two years you’ll realise you are being treated as an outsider, that you will never be trusted because you blew the whistle, and you will find yourself leaving,” he said. “I didn’t believe that, but I started watching what was going around me.

“I think journalists will be afraid of speaking out. This isn’t ancient history, I left in February. It looks like no lessons have been learnt.”

Jones earlier told Press Gazette that those who tried to expose the handling of the case were seen as “traitors” while executives who tried to suppress the scandal had continued their careers unhindered.

“Everyone involved on the right side of the Savile argument has been forced out of the BBC,” he said.

“There is still sadly a small group of people at the BBC who think that the only problem with Savile was that it was exposed and if it had stayed hushed up, everything would be fine.”

Jones’s investigation into Savile was pulled by the then Newsnight editor Peter Rippon in December 2011, just weeks before a tribute to the presenter – who is thought to have abused hundreds of children over decades – was broadcast.

Jones said he was told by an employment lawyer that if he sued the BBC, he would win and there would be “no cap on it because it will be a whistleblower case”, but the corporation would fight the case for at least a year before settling. Instead, Jones said he decided to take voluntary redundancy.

Among those who Jones says were also targeted by bosses over Savile included his colleague on the the investigation, Liz Mackean, who left after 23 years with the corporation in April 2014 and now works on Channel 4’s Dispatches.

Mackean told Press Gazette: “I didn’t feel encouraged to stay. I felt I would do better to work outside the BBC.”

Jones and Mackean gave evidence to the Pollard inquiry, which found that “rigid management chains” meant the BBC proved “completely incapable”of handling the Savile case. However, it decided Rippon’s decision to pull the Newsnight investigation was “done in good faith” without undue pressure from senior management.

Jones says he and Mackean were told they “would never work for the BBC again” if they co-operated with a Panorama investigation into the scandal called What the BBC Knew. “Lots of efforts were made to block that Panorama,” he added.

He says the editor behind the programme, Tom Giles, and the executive put in charge of Savile coverage, Peter Horrocks, who forced it through, were also subsequently squeezed out.

Giles was shifted to a strategy role in May last year and left to become head of ITV current affairs a year later. Horrocks left the BBC earlier this year to become vice-chancellor of the Open University.

Jones also said the way the BBC treated one of Savile’s original accusers, Karin Ward, when she was sued by Freddie Starr over comments she made on BBC and ITV, showed how the corporation was prepared to leave whistleblowers out to dry. Ward did not receive any legal support from the BBC until the eve of her trial, which she eventually won.

“It’s an extraordinary thing for the BBC not to support a whistleblower who had appeared on a BBC programme,” said Jones. “That’s unprecedented as far as I know.”

“If I was a whistleblower, I would not go to the BBC now unless they announce a big change in their policy.”

A BBC spokesman said: “Meirion Jones has made his views known before and we have always been clear that nobody was forced out of the BBC for exposing the Savile scandal.

“The Pollard report concluded, following a detailed investigation, that the decision to drop the initial investigation into Jimmy Savile was taken in good faith and not for any improper reason.”

The publication of the independent investigation into sexual abuse at the BBC overseen by Dame Janet Smith was indefinitely delayed in May after police said it could prejudice ongoing investigations.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby coffin_dodger » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 am

Can't find any mention of this chap at RI before - don't know much about his provenance, but it seems interesting.

THE LONG, STRANGE SAGA OF LEON BRITTAN
http://timtate.co.uk/category/blog/?anchor=177
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Project Willow » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:21 pm

^ All over the PIE and Magpie docs thread, unless I'm mistaken, he's central to this whole mess.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 am

Project Willow wrote:unless I'm mistaken, he's central to this whole mess.

is he understood to be a part of it, a 'normaliser' ?
coffin_dodger

Postby semper occultus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:02 am

..I think we are at cross purposes as to whether we are talking about Leon Brittan or Tim Tate...!?

afaik Tate comes from a Xtian perspective but is a pretty serious and objective professional researcher.....reputation poor with more convinced SRA denialists following all the fall-out of 90's satanic panic & high profile collapse of abuse cases....
semper occultus

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:29 am

ah yes, thanks semper - I was refering to Tate. Got it.
coffin_dodger

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 am

Coldplay will not 'give up' on Kids Company Treehouse 10 Aug 2015 - BBC News

Coldplay are "looking at options" to save the Treehouse, a facility run by the defunct Kids Company charity.

The venue in north London provided education and therapeutic help for vulnerable children.

The band, led by singer Chris Martin, have previously donated an estimated £10m to the charity, which closed down last week amid claims of financial mismanagement and sexual abuse.

It has been beset by problems, including allegations of financial mismanagement and accusations by former staff that the charity failed to deal with allegations of serious incidents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33846026

Kids Company accused of mishandling sexual assault allegations 7 Aug 2015 - BBC News

The Kids Company charity failed in its handling of allegations of serious incidents, including sexual assaults, former staff have said.

One former worker told BBC Two's Newsnight that staff were told of complaints about a client who sexually exploited girls he met there, off site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33813048

Cameron: Supporting Kids Company 'the right thing to do' 7 Aug 2015 - BBC News

Prime Minister David Cameron has defended the payment of £3m to the charity Kids Company, shortly before it was forced to shut down.

He said that it was "sad" that Kids Company had come to an end, adding that supporting the charity was "the right thing to do".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33822408

David Cameron 'mesmerised' by Kids Company boss 5 Aug 2015 - BBC News

Prime Minister David Cameron was "mesmerised" by the Kids Company boss Camila Batmanghelidjh and over-ruled concerns raised, it has been claimed.

A senior figure involved in funding talks with the high-profile charity told the BBC's Norman Smith: "We were all over-ridden by Number 10."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33787201
coffin_dodger

Postby tapitsbo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 am

"Batmanghelidjh was born on 1 January 1963 in Tehran. Her mother was a Belgian Roman Catholic, while her father was the controversial Iranian doctor Fereydoon Batmanghelidj."
tapitsbo

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Prime Minister David Cameron was "mesmerised" by the Kids Company boss Camila Batmanghelidjh and over-ruled concerns raised, it has been claimed.

A senior figure involved in funding talks with the high-profile charity told the BBC's Norman Smith: "We were all over-ridden by Number 10."

Well then... Thanks for posting about this.

"Batmanghelidjh was born on 1 January 1963 in Tehran. Her mother was a Belgian Roman Catholic, while her father was the controversial Iranian doctor Fereydoon Batmanghelidj."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Nov19.html

Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, 73, a physician who gained international attention with his claims about the natural healing power of water, died of complications from pneumonia Nov. 15 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had lived in Falls Church for 22 years.

[...]

Dr. Batmanghelidj, who was born into a politically prominent family, graduated from Fettes College in Scotland. He also was a graduate of St. Mary's Hospital Medical School of London University, where he studied under Sir Alexander Fleming, who shared the Nobel Prize for the discovery of penicillin.

He practiced medicine in the United Kingdom before returning to Iran, where he played a key role in the development of hospitals and medical centers. He also helped establish sport projects for youth in Iran, including the construction and management of the Ice Palace in Tehran, said to be the first ice skating and sports complex in the Middle East.

In 1979, after the Iranian Revolution, Dr. Batmanghelidj was a political prisoner in Evin Prison for two years and seven months. It was there his research into water's curative powers began.

"politically prominent family"

Nader Batmanghelidj, Iranian general

Iranian developer making an impact in U.S. - Bahman Batmanghelidj: Attracted to Virginia

RED INK COLORS TALE OF DEVELOPER KNOWN AS BATMAN

Iran nuclear deal has hungry investors circling - 6 April 2015

"Rather than speculating from the sidelines about the Iran 'gold rush', we need business leaders to think like stakeholders who will constructively shape Iran's future," says Esfandyar Batmanghelidj, who helped organise an investment conference on Iran in London last November.

He is already planning the second Europe-Iran Forum, this time focusing on Iran's banking and financial sectors, in Geneva in September.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 pm

I know that this is going out on a limb, providing more context about her father's education. But I find it worthwhile.

"graduated from Fettes College in Scotland"

Jersey investigation into child abuse

AhabsOtherLeg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am wrote:What is of interest here is what is not mentioned - namely, Fettesgate.

“Loch Ness Monster” – the Scottish paedophile nexus

semper occultus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:37 pm wrote:
Premier's `mentor' in child abuse allegations.

Daily Mail

Byline: COLIN LESLIE May 26, 1997

A FORMER chaplain at the exclusive public school where Prime Minister Tony Blair was educated was branded a child abuser yesterday.

It was alleged that the Very Reverend Dr Ronald Selby Wright who died aged 87 in 1995, was a persistent paedophile.

The claims about his private life were made in a Sunday newspaper following the emergence of diaries belonging to an unnamed former acquaintance who also died two years ago.

The article claimed that Dr Wright associated with young boys from the slums of the parish he served and required treatment for sexually transmitted diseases.

Dr Wright, a former Church of Scotland Church of Scotland Moderator and Chaplain to the Queen, had a close relationship with Mr Blair's former school Fettes College, Edinburgh, spanning nearly 40 years.

He was chaplain at the school from 1957 to 1960 and again between 1979 and 1993.

At the time of Mr Blair's election to the Labour leadership, the school's historian Robert Philip claimed that the youthful Blair looked up to Dr Wright as a `spiritual mentor'.

Mr Philip said: `When Mr Blair was having trouble with the establishment, he confided in Ronald. I think a lot of seeds for his religious faith were sown there.'

Fettes old boys defend ex-teacher accused of sex abuse

scotsman.com

By CLAIRE GARDNER 03 November 2002

FORMER Fettes College students - including a High Court judge - have rushed to the defence of a former teacher accused of sexual misconduct with boys.
Scotland on Sunday recently revealed that Charles Whittle, who taught Tony Blair history, left the school following allegations including fondling boys while he caned them, watching children on the toilet and becoming aroused while meting out corporal punishment.

Whittle, who died recently, left the school in the early 1970s. Fettes declined to comment on the allegations, saying they "pertained to another era".

Sources said sixth formers at the school attempted to deliver a petition to the headmaster complaining about Whittle’s conduct but it disappeared after the teacher was tipped off by a colleague.

"graduate of St. Mary's Hospital Medical School"

Jimmy Savile: 19 more hospitals to investigate links

The 19 hospitals extra to carry out investigations are Barnet General Hospital, Booth Hall Children's Hospital, De La Pole Hospital, Dryburn Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital, Leavesden Secure Mental Hospital, Marsden Hospital, Maudsley Hospital, North Manchester General Hospital, Odstock Hospital, Pinderfields Hospital, Prestwich Psychiatric Hospital, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, Royal Free Hospital, London, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, Seacroft Hospital, Leeds, St Mary's Hospital, Carshalton, Whitby Memorial Hospital and Wythenshawe Hospital.
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 pm

The charity's chairman, Alan Yentob, who is also the BBC's creative director, said: "There is no evidence that we were informed about a sexual abuse case. I think this amount of rumour and allegation and counter-allegation… is disgraceful."

Alan Yentob 'tried to halt' BBC probe into Kids Company: Corporation's £330,000-a-year creative director phoned Newsnight staff hours before it aired damning report

Newsnight was about to reveal that government officials were withholding £3million of funding from Kids Company unless its chief executive, Camila Batmanghelidjh stepped down.

It is claimed he tried to ‘influence the direction’ of the item – an action that would leave him open to allegations of a conflict of interest.

Mr Yentob did not stop there. The following morning he joined Miss Batmanghelidjh at the studios of Radio 4’s Today programme when she was interviewed.

Mr Yentob was not invited to the interview, which took place at around 7.50am, and did not speak on air.

He just ‘turned up and stood at the back of the cubicle,’ a source claimed. ‘We weren’t expecting him. It was a bit odd.’

The story, about the charity’s poor financial controls, helped trigger a series of revelations – including claims that children were given money for drink and drugs – which have brought Kids Company close to collapse. Miss Batmanghelidjh, who is paid £90,000 a year, is now due to leave her post by October 31.

Protective: Alan Yentob with Miss Batmanghelidj

Critics said Mr Yentob’s presence at Radio 4 the following morning could have piled undue pressure on Today’s staff to be gentle with Miss Batmanghelidjh.

Last night, Tory MP Andrew Bridgen said there was a ‘clear conflict of interests here’ and called for Mr Yentob to resign

‘Wittingly or unwittingly, this could have had an effect on how the interview went,’ a source said. ‘It is highly irregular for a senior BBC executive to have been hanging around the Today studios at that time of day. He doesn’t work on the programme and shouldn’t have been there.’

It follows revelations last month that Mr Yentob used a BBC email account to persuade the last Labour government that Kids Company should be let off a £600,000 unpaid tax bill dating back to 2002.

Last night, Tory MP Andrew Bridgen said there was a ‘clear conflict of interests here’ and called for Mr Yentob to resign.

‘Was Alan Yentob ringing Newsnight as a BBC executive or as Kids Company chairman? Either way, he must quit the BBC or Kids Company straight away,’ he said.

Last night, Tory MP Andrew Bridgen said there was a ‘clear conflict of interests here’ and called for Mr Yentob to resign
cptmarginal

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:05 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/p ... 84e65afa3/

Acheson, the chairman of the Smithsonian's executive committee, is a Washington lawyer who has been a regent since 1980 and an executive committee member since 1982. He had business associations in the Dulles area that date back several years.

In the mid-1980s, he served as counsel to prominent Northern Virginia developer Bahman Batmanghelidj. In 1986, Acheson notified the regents in writing that he was representing Batmanghelidj in an effort to donate land to the Smithsonian as a site for the annex. The plan was to set up a "space camp" -- a kind of theme park with educational facilities -- on Batmanghelidj's land near Dulles in conjunction with the Smithsonian and Walt Disney Co. Acheson set up a meeting between Batmanghelidj and a Smithsonian official and tried unsuccessfully to enlist Disney.

In his letter, Acheson offered to recuse himself if Batmanghelidj's offer came before the regents. But the developer's concept was rejected by Smithsonian staff as "too commercial" and never came before the board.

Batmanghelidj still hopes to build the space camp, but Acheson said in a recent interview that he has nothing further to do with that effort.

Still, his association with Batmanghelidj continues. With the developer, Acheson sits on the board of Dartrail, a private for-profit corporation that was co-founded by Batmanghelidj with the hope of building a light-rail system along the Dulles Toll Road.

This is the same David Acheson (son of Secretary of State Dean Acheson, also a Yalie)

Sex, Drugs & the CIA

American Dream » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:42 am wrote:Finally, a July 1978 memorandum from John Blake to the Director of
Central Intelligence, Stansfield Turner, refers to a strategy paper
for defending the CIA against lawsuits by victims of the MKULTRA
Program. The CIA's Assistant General Counsel Anthony Lapham composed
the paper. While serving as a special assistant to Assistant
Secretary of the Treasury David Acheson in the mid-1960s, Lapham
was responsible for liaison with the CIA regarding its relationship
with the Bureau of Narcotics. In this capacity Lapham was aware of
the existence and purpose of several MKULTRA "safehouses," the
first of which was established by George White in Greenwich Village
in June 1953. Indeed, in 1966, Lapham directed FBN agent Andrew
Tartaglino to shut down a second MKULTRA safehouse on 13th Street
in New York.

For what it's worth...
cptmarginal

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion