Idle No More

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Idle No More

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 am

I know there's a Canada Thread I could post this to, but this is getting to be too big for Canada.

Idle No More calls on all people to join in a revolution which honors and fulfills Indigenous sovereignty which protects the land and water. Colonization continues through attacks to Indigenous rights and damage to the land and water. We must repair these violations, live the spirit and intent of the treaty relationship, work towards justice in action, and protect Mother Earth.

Even though it's been a long time coming, IMO this has been even more Didn't see that coming than Occupy Wall Street.

Why it's happening now is the Conservative omnibus budget Bill C-45, which abolishes federal protection of waterways and abrogates treaty rights by facilitating the sale of reserve land without consultation. So there's that, the Tar Sands, and the hundreds of years of atrocities preceding. (And still no national inquiry into the hundreds of missing and murdered aboriginal women.)

Last year, the conditions in the community of Attawapiskat scandalized the country and embarrassed the government, which proceeded to blame the victim.

The Chief of Attawapiskat, Theresa Spence, is now in her 13th day of a hunger strike. She's camped on an island close to the parliament. Her demand is to meet with Stephen Harper. He's refused. But he has tweeted "mmm... bacon." Some find this to be inappropriate.

And this is perfect:

Canadians are a tolerant people, right? It’s certainly something we pride ourselves on. The Idle No More movement provides an ideal opportunity to test this notion, as Canadians turn to mass media outlets online to express their thoughts about the matter.

Let’s take, for example, the comments on articles about Idle No More from a variety of media outlets: Globeandmail.com, CBC.ca, NationalPost.com and CTV.ca, just as easy examples. By this I mean the comments that have not been removed for being blatantly racist, sexist, homophobic, violent, vulgar, or hateful. The ordinary stuff, in other words. The ideas and opinions that are helping to form and reflect actual public opinion on this important issue.

Now, it would, at first blush, be easy to read some of the comments on those articles as intolerant. But let’s face it: people often misread online communication. So it’s only fair to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, and try to understand where they are coming from. It’s the Canadian way, eh?

Here, then, are examples of several of the most common statements made in comments on these articles, thoughtfully translated so the tolerance really stands out.

What they say: All people are equal, and should be treated the same.

What they must mean: I’m willing to trade situations with any Inuit or First Nations person at any time.

What they say: First Nations and Inuit people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

What they must mean: I never had a single opportunity in my life. My people were downtrodden for a few hundred years, my language was beaten out of me, my family was broken by residential schools, my access to health care was poor, I was economically and socially isolated, I had little opportunity for jobs or education, and yet I became the selfless contributor to society that I am today all by myself.

What they say: Native people need to get with the times and join the rest of Canadian society.

What they must mean: A wasteful, polluting materialist culture for everyone!

Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Idle No More

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:48 am

First Nation blockade of CN track in Sarnia, Ont., into 4th day

The CN Rail blockade in Sarnia, Ont., by First Nations activists is into its fourth day with still no end in sight.

Dozens of Aamjiwnaang First Nation members set up camp on and around the railroad track Friday as part of national anti-government demonstrations.

Sarnia Mayor Mike Bradley says police do not plan to shut down the blockade as long as no one gets hurt.

CN obtained a court injunction that leaves it to police to decide whether to end the blockade, Bradley said.

Blockade spokesman Ron Plain says the protests are led by young Aamjiwnaang First Nation members, who met Sunday with representatives from CN, as well as Bradley and Sarnia's police chief.

Protesters say the blockade of the commercial-rail corridor will continue until Prime Minister Stephen Harper meets with Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence, who is on a hunger strike to bring attention to aboriginal issues.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Naomi Klein today:

Idle No More: Chief Theresa Spence's hunger speaks to all of us

I woke up just past midnight with a bolt. My six-month-old son was crying. He has a cold -- the second of his short life -- and his blocked nose frightens him. I was about to get up when he started snoring again. I, on the other hand, was wide-awake.

A single thought entered my head: Chief Theresa Spence is hungry. Actually it wasn't a thought. It was a feeling. The feeling of hunger. Lying in my dark room, I pictured the chief of the Attawapiskat First Nation lying on a pile of blankets in her teepee across from Parliament Hill, entering day 14 of her hunger strike.

I had of course been following Chief Spence's protest and her demand to meet with Prime Minister Stephen Harper to discuss the plight of her people and his demolition of treaty rights through omnibus legislation. I had worried about her. Supported her. Helped circulate the petitions. But now, before the distancing filters of light and reason had a chance to intervene, I felt her. The determination behind her hunger. The radicality of choosing this time of year, a time of so much stuffing -- mouths, birds, stockings -- to say: I am hungry. My people are hungry. So many people are hungry and homeless. Your new laws will only lead to more of this misery. Can we talk about it like human beings?

Lying there, I imagined another resolve too -- Prime Minister Harper's. Telling himself: I will not meet with her. I will not cave in to her. I will not be forced to do anything.

Mr. Harper may relent, scared of the political fallout from letting this great leader die. I dearly hope he does. I want Chief Spence to eat. But I won't soon forget this clash between these two very different kinds of resolve, one so sealed off, closed in; the other cracked wide open, a conduit for the pain of the world.

But Chief Spence's hunger is not just speaking to Mr. Harper. It is also speaking to all of us, telling us that the time for bitching and moaning is over. Now is the time to act, to stand strong and unbending for the people, places and principles that we love.

This message is a potent gift. So is the Idle No More movement -- its name at once a firm commitment to the future, while at the same time a gentle self-criticism of the past. We did sit idly by, but no more.

The greatest blessing of all, however, is indigenous sovereignty itself. It is the huge stretches of this country that have never been ceded by war or treaty. It is the treaties signed and still recognized by our courts. If Canadians have a chance of stopping Mr. Harper's planet-trashing plans, it will be because these legally binding rights -- backed up by mass movements, court challenges, and direct action will stand in his way. All Canadians should offer our deepest thanks that our indigenous brothers and sisters have protected their land rights for all these generations, refusing to turn them into one-off payments, no matter how badly they were needed. These are the rights Mr. Harper is trying to extinguish now.

During this season of light and magic, something truly magical is spreading. There are round dances by the dollar stores. There are drums drowning out muzak in shopping malls. There are eagle feathers upstaging the fake Santas. The people whose land our founders stole and whose culture they tried to stamp out are rising up, hungry for justice. Canada's roots are showing. And these roots will make us all stand stronger.

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Col. Quisp » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Ha! I thought the title of this thread meant you had posted a new entry on the blog. Merry Yuletide!
Col. Quisp

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Col. Quisp wrote:Ha! I thought the title of this thread meant you had posted a new entry on the blog. Merry Yuletide!

I might be the first mammal to quote this and say hot damn, moi aussi, but I doubt I'll be the last.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:53 pm

I knew I was asking for it with that subject line.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 pm

oh great, another hopeless useless battle to loose.

far as I can tell Harper will pay no political price if she starves to death. The canadian voters wunt dem jawbs.

all I see are angry comments demanding the police clear the tracks.

humans are shit

but, maybe there's more support out there than I'm seeing. anyway, comments are highly questionable these days, as most are very very possibly done by a bot network for hire.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby bks » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:16 pm

justdrew wrote:
but, maybe there's more support out there than I'm seeing. anyway, comments are highly questionable these days, as most are very very possibly done by a bot network for hire.

They have to be. I'm thinking the bots aren't even human, so it's even less expensive than one might think.
bks

Postby 82_28 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:33 am

Jeff wrote:I knew I was asking for it with that subject line.

I thought the same thing. I heard some shit about how you're distancing yourself from here a bit and other caveats of gossip. I thought "you were back!!!!!".

Thanks for temporarily pulling the plug on you know who, though.

Merry Christmas, all my amigos here! Which is everyone, unless otherwise specified. Merry Christmas, nonetheless, whoever you are.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Jeff » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:06 pm

I was distancing myself, though not just from here. Wasn't fun or healthy. I needed to quit doing that.

And re Drew's comment about the comments. I should stop reading them, because it confirms my most misanthropic presumptions and makes me despair. But I have to remember these are just the loudest and most deranged and not a representative sample, which would be somewhat softer spoken and less irrational, though perhaps no better informed.

Idle No More is a Christmas gift to us all
by Brigette DePape on Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The gift I will cherish most this holiday wasn’t a new pair of new slippers, another bar of soap, or an iPod. It was an unexpected offering, and one that many people have been asking for years.

In the face of a Harper majority government, which was elected with a mere 39 per cent of the vote in 2011, we’ve been asking for an end to unjust policies, and a transformation of a broken system.

In the face of climate change that threatens the survival of humanity, coming to the public consciousness in the 1970s with Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring and then by the UN Commission in the 1980s, we’ve been searching for a solution to a path towards a clean future.

Since the beginning consumer culture, we have been searching for some kind of meaning amid all the stuff.

Since the 15th century and the beginnings of colonization, we’ve been searching for a way to face our history, and to transform relations between settlers (non-Aboriginal people) and First Nations.

All the things we have been asking for have arrived at a shopping malls near us – in the form of the Idle No More movement.

Instead of big signs of advertising for perfumes and shampoos, Idle No More is filling our shopping malls with posters and signs against Harper. I’m incredibly inspired by the young Indigenous women who began Idle No More to not only build in opposition to Bill C-45, which would reduce protections over waterways, but also to build a revolution for Indigenous sovereignty and to defend the earth. Idle No More is exposing the ruthlessness of the Harper government. Chief Theresa Spence is risking her life for all of us. Harper is letting Chief Spence starve, refusing to meet the simple ask of a meeting. But the strength and resolve of this leader in her 14th day without food is galvanizing opposition.

At shopping malls for Idle No More actions, our solution to climate change is not just buying another cloth bag or green toilet paper, but listening to elders talk about another relationship with the land and the water.

For so long, I felt isolated from much of my family because I felt I couldn’t talk to them about these issues and it created distance between us.

But, for the first time ever, I shared the joy of democratic demonstration with my family — my Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma, and brother-in-law. There was nothing more special than huddling near the sacred fire with my brother in-law to listen to a former soldier speak in support of Idle No More. There was nothing better than making signs with my grandpa that read: “Harper, have you packed your bags yet?” and “Support Aboriginal Rights”. What an incredible joy!

Many gifts, think laptops and iPods, often make me feel further away from the people who are dear to me. But by joining in Idle No More, I feel closer now to my family and closer to a place of shared understanding.

And in the wake of the Idle No More demo we’d just participated in, at our family dinner this year, we didn’t just talk about the gravy, but about the ugliness and destructiveness of some of our history and our reality, and the incredible opportunity of this moment to be part of creating a brave and bright future for us all.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/12/25/idle ... to-us-all/

Brigette DePape:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:36 pm

Polar bear trade ban divides campaigners
By Matt McGrath
Environment correspondent, BBC News

Wildlife campaigners are at odds over a new attempt to ban the global trade in polar bear parts.

Some activists say the market for rugs and ornaments made from the bears is driving them to extinction.

But others argue that the most pressing problem for the species is climate change and the disappearance of polar ice.

The issue will be decided at a UN wildlife conservation meeting in Thailand in March 2013.

The Humane Society International/UK says that polar bears have been brought to a tipping point by climate change but that increased hunting in recent years is pushing the species "beyond the brink"

"The drivers for the increase in recent years in the trade in polar bear parts are the extremely worrying and rapidly increasing prices being paid on international markets for polar bear parts," said Mark Jones, executive director of the Humane Society International/UK.

He points to the fact that in the five years up to 2012 there has been a 375% increase in the number of polar bear skins offered at auction, some selling for as much as $12,000 (£7,400).
Opinions divided

Every year around 600 bears are legally killed by hunters in Canada and in the decade to 2010 more than 30,000 bear parts were traded as trophies, rugs and ornaments.

Opponents of the trade have now proposed a ban on the international sales of polar bear parts. It will be tabled at the next meeting of the Convention on the trade in endangered species (CITES) taking place in Thailand next March.

The move is being supported by the US and Russian governments. The last time an attempt was made to change the ruling in 2010, it was defeated after the UK and the EU voted against. Mark Jones believes the UK government's position is very influential and wants them to support the ban.

"We urgently need the British government to step forward and be a champion for polar bears by supporting their maximum protection," he added.

But some prominent campaigners are against changing the protected status of the bears. WWF has had a long association with the iconic species but believes that the threat from international trade is not significant compared to the threat from climate change.

"If we were tempted to support it on the basis of trade being a major threat, it is not," says Dr Colman O'Criodain, WWF's wildlife trade policy analyst.

"We have to focus on what is the major threat and not distract ourselves with a relatively minor one. We can't be arguing for the science when it suits us and then ignore it when it doesn't suit our case," he added.
Little impact

WWF are supported by other groups including Traffic International and IUCN. But Mark Jones says the Humane Society International have broad support for their position as well.

"We're members of a very big campaigning group called the species survival network and we do believe we have a very wide consensus among groups on this particular issue," he said.

Dr Colman O'Criodain says that WWF won't actively campaign against the ban and will accept it if it is voted through. But he argues that would be a bad outcome for polar bears.

"You could say that this is just a distraction factor and that it could have the effect of making people think something has been done to address the threat when the net effect will be almost negligible," he said.

Indigenous groups in Canada are actively working against the proposed ban. And they particularly resent the fact that the US is leading the charge for change.

"The American government is using the threat of climate change to justify banning the international trade in polar bear parts while utterly failing to do anything to reduce their own activities," said James Eetoolook of the Nunavut Tunngavik, a group that represents Inuit interests.

They argue that their own research in the western Hudson Bay region carried out earlier this year indicated that bear numbers were increasing rather than declining.

Campaign groups in favour of the new ban are taking comfort from the fact that some governments are still undecided.

A spokesperson for the UK's department of the environment, farming and rural affairs added:

"We are currently considering the proposals ahead of the Conference of the Parties meeting next year."

Follow Matt on Twitter.

BBC

It's us or them, innit?
Seamus OBlimey

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 am

I will gladly support any stateside Idle No More activities.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Just discovered this on Google Maps:

#IdleNoMore Events
Although far from a complete list, this map highlights some of the teach-ins, rallies, blockades, flash mob round dances and hunger strikes that have taken place or are being planned, as well as international solidarity actions taking place on four continents. So far over 110 events in over 90 places have been added.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 am

A friend of mine wrote a piece about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... -more.html
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Next

Return to General Discussion