With a Bang

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

With a Bang

Postby bardobailey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Guy McPherson from Nature Bat's Last posted this item a few days ago:

http://guymcpherson.com/2013/01/climate ... nd-update/

The short article AND most of the comments have re-set my priorities in a major way. It appears that all hope for a smooth transition is gone. The end of us and ours and them and theirs is at hand. The links embedded in the original article and many of the comments check out. I don't want to become a death cult zealot! Please tell me I'm crazy or having a bad day.
bardobailey

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: With a Bang

Postby The Consul » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Ok...you're crazy, you're having a bad day. Sandy Hook is a convenient distraction from Super Storm Sandy. The airwaves are better off with only an argument over banning assault rifles as opposed to climate change.

We're all crazy. Even if we all jumped in the river at sundown, except for a handful of promising genetic superstars to carry on the line, the world would still hurtle through a horrible darkness that even they might choose not to survive. Bleak as stage 4 cancer. We cling to slender glimmers of hope or denial as it slowly unfolds before our eyes. Oh, no doubt there is a plan.

It just doesn't include any of us.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby undead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Well, look at it this way. Judging by the average age of the people who post here, you will probably be dead before the really terrible Eraserhead-like situation arrives anyway. Try to feel privileged that you got to live during the climax of the human species. The planet's going to be fine, anyway, its just us that are going to be gone. Everything else will grow back eventually.

That is of course assuming that we as a species are able to hold it together long enough to get fried into extinction. So smoke em if you've got em.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby bardobailey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks, consul & undead. Just accepting the premise of Near Term Extinction is hard enough to think about seriously. Beyond that is confusion. It feels like I imagine Noriega last's days in Panama. Surrounded not only by bad news but also angry, armed enemies, loud Tibetan chanting, flashing lights and explosions. All while trying to figure out what to do next. I guess I'm crazy AND having a bad day.
bardobailey

Postby bardobailey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm

After reading about the estimated recovery time for planet earth from runaway warming. I was led to the following article on the Arctic Methane Emergency Group blog:

http://a-m-e-g.blogspot.com/2012/12/ame ... -plan.html

Now it looks like our planetary fate will provide us with a Mars makeover by about 7,000 c.e. And the methane boffins plan, like all the other reasonable plans will NOT be adopted.
bardobailey

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

undead wrote:Everything else will grow back eventually.

Not all the warm and furry mammals, though. It's gonna be several million years of lizards, roaches and slime molds. And fungi. Poor trees. I hope the fish and sea mammals make a come back, but the acid levels!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Col. Quisp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 am

Anyone born in this century is in for a hellish middle age if they make it that far. Why would anyone continue to procreate now? How cruel. Sorry if I have offended anyone with kids.
Col. Quisp

Postby bardobailey » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:30 am

I'm with you Col. Quisp. I was lucky enough to attend a 4 day seminar w. Bucky Fuller at my college back in 1971. Decided to forego descendants as a simple act of humanity. Even with a lifelong eye on this issue, I didn't expect what is being forecast now. These guys are talking about five to ten years!
bardobailey

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:15 am

JackRiddler wrote:

Not all the warm and furry mammals, though. It's gonna be several million years of lizards, roaches and slime molds. And fungi. Poor trees. I hope the fish and sea mammals make a come back, but the acid levels!

The trees appreciate our concern, but they have no other choice than to live. Literally, I mean this literally, the trees will destroy "us" when they have to. They don't live like us and do not think like us. But I am certain they do think about us on much, much lower frames of time. Not in an infantile way, but much more amazingly, the trees will do war with us if we do not clean up our act. They fucking recognize our, as humans, blink of an eye or loss of a limb. It is a slow and very ancient language. Humans cannot recognize their language. Because we are too sped up.

I'm not fucking with you. This is true because they told me and yeah, call me a kook. But this is what trees in the old growth forest of Mt Rainier told me, like almost I could hear it. Alone. The old trees took pity on us and yet could not bother to save us, because "they couldn't" but wanted to. They still like us though, because how could they possibly care?

They care because they have seen enough. They will die in order to kill us and then grow again. Word gets around in the trees. Forests have consciences far more advanced than anything any human knows. But I was promised that they are kind. Not conditionally, unconditionally. They realize our need for them and they sacrifice because they are leaps and bounds more smart the we are, just their thoughts are so slow and their language so muddled, but their spirit extremely potent.

Tellin' you, this is what the fucking trees told me
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby justdrew » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 am

bardobailey wrote:http://a-m-e-g.blogspot.com/2012/12/ameg-strategic-plan.html

well, THAT'S pretty nightmarish. :shock2:
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby undead » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 am

bardobailey wrote:After reading about the estimated recovery time for planet earth from runaway warming. I was led to the following article on the Arctic Methane Emergency Group blog:

http://a-m-e-g.blogspot.com/2012/12/ame ... -plan.html

Now it looks like our planetary fate will provide us with a Mars makeover by about 7,000 c.e. And the methane boffins plan, like all the other reasonable plans will NOT be adopted.

Just to be clear, any plans involving geo-engineering are not at all reasonable and should be treated with extreme skepticism and "reasonably" with automatic rejection, as these people turn everything they touch to shit. Maybe that can help you calm down a bit in the short term - consider that anybody with an interest in selling geo-engineering has an interest in alarmist exaggeration and distortion. Granted that the severity of the situation is difficult to exaggerate but I'm sure they will find a way if it means profits.

Personally I would prefer to live out my remaining days under the blue sky than be caught up in their ham-handed attempts to prolong the species, which will ultimately fail anyway, and probably with a lot more cruelty and pain.
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
undead

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 am

82_28 wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:

The trees appreciate our concern, but they have no other choice than to live. Literally, I mean this literally, the trees will destroy "us" when they have to. They don't live like us and do not think like us. But I am certain they do think about us on much, much lower frames of time. Not in an infantile way, but much more amazingly, the trees will do war with us if we do not clean up our act. They fucking recognize our, as humans, blink of an eye or loss of a limb. It is a slow and very ancient language. Humans cannot recognize their language. Because we are too sped up.

I'm not fucking with you. This is true because they told me and yeah, call me a kook. But this is what trees in the old growth forest of Mt Rainier told me, like almost I could hear it. Alone. The old trees took pity on us and yet could not bother to save us, because "they couldn't" but wanted to. They still like us though, because how could they possibly care?

They care because they have seen enough. They will die in order to kill us and then grow again. Word gets around in the trees. Forests have consciences far more advanced than anything any human knows. But I was promised that they are kind. Not conditionally, unconditionally. They realize our need for them and they sacrifice because they are leaps and bounds more smart the we are, just their thoughts are so slow and their language so muddled, but their spirit extremely potent.

Tellin' you, this is what the fucking trees told me

Kook?

Man, compared to me, you're an amateur.

The oak in my garden speaks in and through me.

Slowly yes, oh so slowly.

Through the rhythm of moving slowly.

Heart of oak.

Pendragon of Albion.

The spirits gather round me.

Oak spirit is old and wise spirit, he helped me when I was born.

I guess he will be there to help me again if I need it.

But we still search for the entwives.

Treebeard says that the Entwives began to move farther away from the Ents because they liked to plant and control things, while the Ents preferred forests and liked to let things take their natural course. The Entwives moved away to the region that would later become the Brown Lands across the Great River Anduin, although the male Ents still visited them. The Entwives, unlike the Ents, interacted with the race of Men and taught them much about the art of agriculture.

The male Ents resemble wild forest trees that they guard (oaks, rowans, etc.), but the Entwives guarded agricultural plants, and Tolkien seems to imply that they resembled the various agricultural plants they guarded. Treebeard remarks that their hair was the hue of ripe corn (grain).

The Entwives lived in peace until their gardens were destroyed by Sauron, whereupon the Entwives themselves disappeared. The Ents looked for them but never found them. It was sung by the Elves (as the Ents were content simply to "chant their beautiful names") that one day the Ents and Entwives would find each other. Indeed, in The Return of the King, Treebeard implored the Hobbits not to forget to send word to him if they "hear any news" of the Entwives "in your land."... (Fimbrethil was) Treebeard's long-lost wife, also known as Wandlimb the lightfooted. The pair were beloved since before even Morgoth first arose in power during the youth of the world. Translated, her name meant according to the 1966 Index 'slim-birch' (according to Appendix F 'slender-beech'). As with all of the other Entwives, Fimbrethil had been missing since Sauron's forces destroyed the gardens of the Entwives during the Second Age. At the time of the War of the Ring, Treebeard had not seen his beloved Fimbrethil for over three millennia.

Three millennia?

Jeez, I wouldn't be so patient.

Where is my Fimbrethil?

Just for you mr 82 because I love ya, and because you own your shit;

Rhythm Method.

With the rhythm moving slowly,
We equate with the most lowly.
In we tune to lower tempo,
Even slower! Lento, lento!

In time we perceive frequencies,
Vast range of possibilities.
The mind may range both far and near,
To seek to mend the final tear.

This meditation truly should,
Recall Treebeard of darkened wood.
Ancient giant of oaken girth,
Plant Man be spirit of the earth!

Hammer of Los

Postby Hammer of Los » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am

A whimper? Like a whipped cur?

Or with a big bang?

The right kind of big bang can create a new tomorrow, people.

Hammer of Los

Postby bardobailey » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:34 am

sorry undead...I meant to all caps REASONABLE as in mild sarcasm. I agree that geo engineering is unlikely to do us proles much good, it might provide enough time for the space cadets to warp drive their alpha teams to the next likely sucker planet for more of the same, however. Shit, this is not good news.
bardobailey

Postby NeonLX » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:48 am

A decade or two ago, I would have dismissed what 82_28 said about trees communicating with a shrug and a laugh. Now I take it completely seriously. I don't know if I've been "enlightened", or what...but I certainly experience things differently than I used to.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Next

Return to General Discussion