video/audio/etc of note...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

video/audio/etc of note...

Postby justdrew » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:50 am

Emile de Antonio (1919 1989 R.I.P.) was a director and producer of documentary films, usually detailing political or social events circa 1960s - 1980s. He was born in 1919 in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He attended Harvard with John F. Kennedy and would later go on to make a film about Kennedy's assassination called Rush to Judgment. After serving in the military during World War II, de Antonio frequented the art crowd, often associating with such Pop artists as Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and Andy Warhol, in whose film Drink de Antonio appears. De Antonio chronicled this art scene in his documentary Painters Painting (1972).
In 1959 de Antonio developed G-String Productions in order to distribute the Beat Generation film Pull My Daisy. It was at this time that de Antonio discovered filmmaking. His first film, Point of Order, a compilation film made in 1964, regards Joseph McCarthy and the Army-McCarthy hearings.
De Antonio went on to make many politically motivated films that attracted a substantial amount of controversy and also tended to align himself with Marxist thought. Most, if not all, of his films criticize aspects of American culture or politics or reflect a certain degree of political dissension, because of which, along with his Marxist affiliation, the FBI documented 10,000 pages of de Antonio's activities.
&
Warren Hinckle became editor of Ramparts Magazine in 1961. The magazine became the voice of the American New Left. It was also highly critical of the Warren Commission.

At the end of 1966 Desmond FitzGerald head of the Directorate for Plans, took charge of Operation Mockingbird, discovered that the Central Intelligence Agency had been secretly funding the National Student Association. FitzGerald ordered Edgar Applewhite to organize a campaign against the magazine. Applewhite later told Evan Thomas for his book, The Very Best Men: "I had all sorts of dirty tricks to hurt their circulation and financing. The people running Ramparts were vulnerable to blackmail. We had awful things in mind, some of which we carried off."

This dirty tricks campaign failed to stop Ramparts publishing this story in February, 1967. As well as reporting CIA funding of the National Student Association it exposed the whole system of anti-communist front organizations in Europe, Asia, and South America was essentially blown.

After the closure of Ramparts Magazine, Hinckle was editor of the City of San Francisco, a radical weekly newspaper owned by Francis Ford Coppola, Scanlan's Monthly and Argonaut, a literary and political journal. He has also written for the San Francisco Independent and the San Francisco Chronicle. He also edited War News during the 1991 Gulf War.

Hinckle is also the author of several books including his autobiography, If You Have a Lemon, Make Lemonade (1974), The Richest Place on Earth (1978); The Fish is Red : the Story of the Secret War Against Castro (1981) and The George Bush Dilemma (1989). Hinckle was co-author with William Turner of Deadly Secrets (1992), a book about the CIA operations against Fidel Castro and the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

Emile Francisco de Antonio (May 14, 1919 -- December 16, 1989) was an American director and producer of documentary films, usually detailing political or social events circa 1960s--1980s. He has been referred to by scholars and critics alike, and arguably remains, "...the most important political filmmaker in the United States during the Cold War."

de Antonio was born in 1919 in in the coal-mining town of Scranton, Pennsylvania. His father, Emilio de Antonio, an Italian immigrant, fostered the lifelong interests of Antonio by passing on his own love for philosophy, classical literature, history and the arts. Although his intelligence allowed him the privilege of attended Harvard University alongside future-president John F. Kennedy, he was also familiar with the working class experience, making his living at various points in his life as a peddler, a book editor, and the captain of a river barge (among other duties).

After serving in the military during World War II as a bomber pilot, de Antonio returned to the United States where he frequented the art crowd, often associating with such Pop artists as Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and Andy Warhol, in whose film Drink de Antonio appears. Warhol was famously quoted praising de Antonio with the words, "Everything I learned about painting, I learned from De."

The book Necessary Illusions (1989) by Noam Chomsky and the documentary Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media (1992) by Mark Achbar and Peter Wintonick are dedicated to Emile de Antonio.

Filmography Point of Order (1964) McCarthy: Death of a Witch Hunter (1964) Rush to Judgment (1967) America Is Hard to See (1968) In the Year of the Pig (1968) Charge and Countercharge (1969) Millhouse: A White Comedy (1971) Painters Painting (1972) Underground (1976) In The King of Prussia (1982) Mr. Hoover and I (1989)

a new THREAD!

This thread doesn't say "only" in the title, so feel free to post your reactions, additional info, back and forth arguments, etc. whatever :thumbsup

Maybe you run across good stuff, bring it here, I'd like a thread of "quality" longer form sources. The video-only thread should stay for shorter and/or less talkative stuff. Make sense?
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: video/audio/etc of note...

Postby justdrew » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:17 pm

an old LP...

A1 --Nat Feedland Intro To Nat Freedland 0:33
A2 --Louise Huebner Witchcraft 6:33
A3 --Stanton T. Friedman UFO's 10:09
A4 --Barbara Birdfeather Astrology 8:52
B1 --Rosemary Brown Spiritualism 6:26
B2 --Rosemary Brown Spiritualism (Grubelei) 3:09
B3 --Black Widow (5) Satanic Inspired Rock Recording "Come To The Sabbat" 4:50
B4 --Black Widow (5) Satanic Inspired Rock Recording "Conjuration" 5:40
C1 --Allan Watts Meditation 5:18
C2 --Dr. Thelma Moss ESP Research (Parapsychology) 11:58
C3 --Indra Devi Yoga 5:43
D1 --Peter Hurkos Psychics 4:46
D2 --Craig Carpenter (2) Indian Magic 8:31
D3 --Anton LeVey* Satanism 11:26
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:23 am

this guy may be on to something... the rest of the post is just background, go read the link, it's a neat idea.

Time Variation in the Gravitational Constant
Schieber, W. (2011).
http://philica.com/display_article.php?article_id=235

Paul Dirac was led to a time-varying gravitational constant from the large number coincidence. The large number coincidence can be summarized as the ratio of the product of the speed of light and the age of the universe divided by the Classical electron radius is about 1040 and the ratio of the electrical to gravitational forces between a proton and an electron is also about 1040. Dirac found that in atomic units, G had a value of 10-40. He interpreted this as G varies inversely with time.

In general relativity, G needs to be constant or conservation of energy is violated. Dirac resolved this problem by introducing a gauge function and proposed the concept of continuous creation of matter in the universe.
justdrew

Postby Grizzly » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:58 am

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:20 am

http://www.BillMoyers.com

In the midst of all the end-of-the-year lists and reminiscences, there is a speech that made the social media rounds recently that we thought deserved a special mention here at BillMoyers.com.

In accepting the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters at this year’s National Book Awards, eminent sci-fi writer Ursula Le Guin made a knock-out speech about the power of capitalism, literature and imagination that, as she put it afterwards, “went sort-of viral on YouTube.”

The 85-year-old writer started with a shout-out to her fellow fantasy and sci-fi writers, who have for so long watched “the beautiful awards,” like the one she’d just received, go to the “so-called realists.” She continued:

I think hard times are coming when we will be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now and can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine some real grounds for hope. We will need writers who can remember freedom. Poets, visionaries — the realists of a larger reality. …

Books, you know, they’re not just commodities. The profit motive often is in conflict with the aims of art. We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings. Resistance and change often begin in art, and very often in our art — the art of words.

I have had a long career and a good one. In good company. Now here, at the end of it, I really don’t want to watch American literature get sold down the river. We who live by writing and publishing want — and should demand — our fair share of the proceeds. But the name of our beautiful reward is not profit. Its name is freedom.

Le Guin’s speech was fully transcribed by Parker Higgins, an activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. You can read the entire speech at Higgins’s blog.

In 2000, Bill Moyers interviewed Le Guin about the 1980 PBS adaptation of her 1971 book, The Lathe of Heaven, that became the most requested film ever in the PBS archives. The plot revolves around the main character’s dreams altering reality. Le Guin tells Bill she was very skeptical that it could be adapted for television. We’re working on adding the show to our archive, but in the meantime, here’s a version from YouTube.

justdrew

Re: hanging at Chester's with Fred

Postby IanEye » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:59 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Laodicean » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:58 pm

SFW version of the most amazing music video I saw this year:

Recommend watching it on Vimeo for the proper experience, though.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby justdrew » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:35 am

this is making the rounds, you might as well take a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp7mM2TP_1A
justdrew

Postby justdrew » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

justdrew

Postby jingofever » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:08 am

I ran across that Anton LeVey et al. thing some time ago on archive.org. But I think that one of those things does not belong with the others. I am talking about Stanton Friedman. Alan Watts is probably out of place as well. But here is Charlie Brooker's 2014 Wipe:

I have not watched it yet and being American I will probably not understand a lot of it but I do like the guy.
jingofever

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:36 am

Awesome and beautiful actress Gillian Jacobs talks Jack Parsons, Aliester Crowley, sex magick, satanism at the Jet Propulsion Laboratories, Black Dahlia, Source Family, the Gratitude cult, high weirdness in L.A on Marc Maron's "WTF" podcast. Gillian, do you post here?

It's not free but if you already subscribe, you might be able to hear it.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... ian_jacobs
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Jacobin is slowly becoming one of my favorite publications.
This is a long interview with David Harvey on his new book, 17 Contradictions and the End of Capitalism.

The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby slimmouse » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm

May I humbly recommend an approximately hour long, Confessions of an ecstasy advocate by Lorenzo Hagerty - of Psychedelic Salon fame.

http://vimeo.com/67246327
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 pm

A poem with themes relevant to rigorous intuition interests:

Luther Blissett

Next

Return to General Discussion