Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

Postby tapitsbo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Slomo, I see truth in both your words and FourthBase's.
tapitsbo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby FourthBase » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:17 pm

slomo » 20 Jun 2015 15:44 wrote:It's really much much simpler. If you kill white persons you are a "terrorist". If you kill only (or mostly) non-white persons, then you are "mentally ill" (if you aren't an "American hero").

Except if you're using a leftist lens, and then it's the other way around. One just a manipulated patsy or sympathetic revolutionary, the other just the tip of an oppressive iceberg.

Recursive mutual hypocrisy: It solves nothing.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Postby slomo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:01 pm

FourthBase » 20 Jun 2015 13:17 wrote:
slomo » 20 Jun 2015 15:44 wrote:It's really much much simpler. If you kill white persons you are a "terrorist". If you kill only (or mostly) non-white persons, then you are "mentally ill" (if you aren't an "American hero").

Except if you're using a leftist lens, and then it's the other way around. One just a manipulated patsy or sympathetic revolutionary, the other just the tip of an oppressive iceberg.

Recursive mutual hypocrisy: It solves nothing.

Fair enough: I'll go with "tip-of-an-oppressive-iceberg patsy manipulated by elites willing to use both American racism and Islamist fanatacism to achieve their goals".
slomo

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:24 pm

I caught James A. Fox giving his 2 cents worth on Gun Control. (in relation to the President's comments after the Charleston tragedy.)

Kinda odd that he chimes in on every mass murder except the one that took place on his doorstep.
Iamwhomiam

Postby FourthBase » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Iamwhomiam, are you referring to the Marathon bombings or to a different massacre on some other doorstep of Fox's? Because he's been not only chiming in for the last two years, he moreover had a direct hand in the whole thing by playing the role of handler for "Danny" the carjacked Chinese national, aka Dun Meng. You...forgot?

Here's him chiming in:

http://www.boston.com/community/blogs/c ... _bond.html

http://www.boston.com/community/blogs/c ... or_ma.html

Here's him chiming in on "Danny":

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... story.html

Here's Russ Baker chiming in on Fox:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/arti ... aev-trial/

Why is the alleged carjacking victim, “Danny,” still anonymous?

“Danny” is the alias given to the anonymous Chinese immigrant who said the Tsarnaevs carjacked him. He also claimed that Tamerlan confessed to detonating the bombs and killing Collier.

Baker is critical of  Danny’s anonymity and his relationship to Northeastern University criminologist James Alan Fox, who has acted as an intermediary between Danny and the press. Baker calls Fox, who has publicly condemned the Tsarnaevs, “the least curious criminologist I remember encountering in a long time.” Fox, who regularly gives media interviews, tells me that he was asked to assume this role by Danny’s former academic adviser, a fellow Northeastern professor, who knew Fox by reputation. “It wasn’t because I was a criminologist,” he says. “It was because I have a good deal of experience dealing with the media.” Fox concedes that he is unaware of any other sensational case in which a key witness has remained anonymous, but says that question falls outside the scope of his expertise. He likens his role as Danny’s media gatekeeper to one that family members play in high-profile cases, adding that in this case, Danny’s family is in China. Through Fox, Danny declined to comment as he prepares to testify at Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s upcoming trial. “I know who Danny is,” Baker says. “He’s just a total liar.”
FourthBase

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Jeezus!

Witness the never ending surreality that is Alzheimer's!

Thank you.
Iamwhomiam

Postby FourthBase » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:04 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... vors-speak

Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: 'I am guilty and I am sorry'

Convicted bomber gives first public statement since 2013 attack
Judge formally sentences Tsarnaev to death
Court hears moving and defiant speeches from victims and family members
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
Convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. Photograph: Reuters
Alan Yuhas in Boston
@alanyuhas
Wednesday 24 June 2015 14.12 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 24 June 2015 16.28 EDT

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via Email Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Share on WhatsApp
Shares
Comments
Convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has given his first public statement since carrying out the April 2013 terrorist attack.

“I would like to now apologize to the victims, to the survivors,” he told a Boston court shortly before being formally sentenced to death for the bombing. “I want to ask forgiveness of Allah and his creation.”

He added: “I am sorry for the lives I have taken, for the suffering that I have caused you, for the damage I have done – irreparable damage.

“In case there is any doubt, I am guilty of this attack, along with my brother,” Tsarnaev said, standing at the defense table, referring to his older brother Tamerlan, killed during the manhunt following the bombing.

Boston marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev speaks in court – full text
Read more
To the victims attending the hearing at the US district court, he said: “I pray for your relief, for your healing.”

Tsarnaev’s voice occasionally faltered as he spoke, and he left meaningful pauses after each apology to the victims of the 2013 bombing and manhunt, which left four dead and more than 260 injured.

He also thanked nearly everyone who had been involved in the trial: his attorneys, his family, everyone who testified “with dignity” about their “unbearable” hardships.

He also touched on the accusation that he showed no remorse during the trial, saying: “I learned [victims’] stories, their names” and that he learned “more faces” with every hearing. His attorney, Judy Clarke, also mentioned the accusations of lacking remorse, saying her client had offered to resolve the case without trial in 2014..

Quoting the Prophet Muhammad, Tsarnaev said that there would be no mercy for those who showed none.

Judge George O’Toole invoked Shakespeare to Tsarnaev: “When your name is mentionedall that will be remembered is the evil you have done.”

Tsarnaev’s statement came after an emotional morning of testimony during which survivors and family members of those who died in the 2013 attack faced the bomber and made a series of defiant and moving speeches to the court.

Facing death for Boston bombing, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev remains an enigma
Read more
Tsarnaev met their anger and anguish with the same implacable blankness that he wore throughout his long trial. Dressed in a black suit, the 21-year-old sat impassive next to his lawyers.

He folded and refolded his hands, rested his chin in a fist, and occasionally scratched his beard or head. He tilted his gaze to the ground, and only rarely looked at the speakers as they described injuries, nightmares and lost loved ones.

In contrast, many of the survivors and victims’ families and friends made direct remarks to Tsarnaev, often in voices shaking with emotion.

Jennifer Rogers, the sister of Sean Collier, an MIT police officer killed by the Tsarnaev brothers after the bombing, vented years of anger at Tsarnaev.

“I will never have a complete family ever again,” Rogers said before describing her brother as a gregarious, generous man, whose love of “the small moments” was stolen by Tsarnaev. She said there was at least some solace in knowing Tsarnaev would not know the joy of those moments.

“He is a coward and a liar,” she said. “He is a leech abusing the privileges of American freedom.”

O’Toole was required to uphold the jury’s May recommendation that Tsarnaev be sentenced to death, but Rogers urged him to place exceptional restrictions on Tsarnaev’s incarceration wherever possible.

Elizabeth Bourgault, a runner who survived the blasts with injuries, also called Tsarnaev a coward.

“Whatever God that the defendant believes in is not going to welcome his actions,” she said. “The defendant’s God will condemn him to an eternity of suffering.”

Intense sadness mingled with the anger. Bill Richard, who lost his eight-year-old son Martin to the bombing, said: “There’s nothing we can say that will change anything for us.”

Tsarnaev “could have stopped his brother, he could have changed his mind”, Richard said. “He chose hate, he chose destruction, he chose death.”

But Richard said of he and his wife Denise: “We choose love,” and reiterated their opposition to the death penalty.

“We prefer he have a lifetime to reconcile himself with what he did that day, [but] he will not live that long,” said Richard.

The bombing killed three people, Krystle Marie Campbell, 29, Lu Lingzi, 23, and eight-year-old Martin Richard.

Days later Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan killed Collier as federal and state law enforcement hunted them down in the Boston area.

“This was an extraordinary case,” O’Toole said. “We will never forget the victims of these crimes and their stories.”

“You had to forget your own humanity, the common humanity you shared with your brother Martin, your sister Lingzi Lu,” he continued. “It is tragic, for your victims and now for you.”

O’Toole also repudiated the extremist rationale that inspired the Tsarnaev brothers: “Surely someone who believes God smiles on and rewards the killing of innocents believes in a cruel god. This is not and cannot be the god of Islam.

At 21, Tsarnaev now becomes the youngest person on death row in the United States. Following the hearing, he will be taken from custody in Massachusetts to a federal prison in Indiana. He probably faces over a decade of appeals before his execution could take place.

O’Toole said no one would remember that Tsarnaev’s teachers or friends were fond of him. He said what they what remember was that Tsarnaev “murdered and maimed innocent people” and “did it willfully and intentionally”.

Tsarnaev looked down and rubbed his hands together as the judge sentenced him. An appeal is automatic in death penalty cases.

During the testimony, police arrested a man outside the Moakley federal courthouse when he drove up in a Honda and took a large knife out of his license plate holder.

A Federal Protective Services Officer holds a meat cleaver found in a car in front of John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse after a man was taken into custody during the formal sentencing of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokar Tsarnaev.
A Federal Protective Services Officer holds a meat cleaver found in a car in front of John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse after a man was taken into custody during the formal sentencing of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokar Tsarnaev. Photograph: Scott Eisen/Getty Images
A handful of survivors spoke of forgiveness, and a few even mentioned closure. But many spoke of fighting for their future and of recovering despite the rippling consequences of the attack: medical costs, nightmares, children growing up without limbs, friends who no longer know how to communicate, and terror at the sounds of doors and sirens.

Survivor Johanna Hantel said that the trial “has not been healing” for her: “I do not believe in closure.”

But she did express pity for Tsarnaev, and was among a minority who asked him to try to do something good with the time he has left. In contrast, Michael Chase, a first responder who described the horror on Boylston Street in graphic detail, said: “I don’t want to speak to him. I’m here to say we’re OK.”

Stephanie Benz, whose left side had “frozen” as a result of injuries sustained in the bombing, said that she still had hope despite daily pain. Heather Abbott, an amputee, said that she did not care about Tsarnaev’s fate. “I care about what lies ahead for me and the other survivors and loved ones,” she said.

Rebecca Gregory, a double amputee, stood before Tsarnaev defiant. To deliver a victim impact statement, “I’d have to be someone’s victim. And I’m definitely not yours,” she said.

Gregory said she hoped Tsarnaev could be shown “the bigger picture” of his actions.

Demonstrators against the death penalty stand outside the US District Court in Boston as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev awaits his official sentence of death on 24 June 2015.
Demonstrators against the death penalty stand outside the US District Court in Boston as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev awaits his official sentence of death. Photograph: Brigette Dusseau/AFP/Getty Images
“Terrorists like you do two things in this world. One, they create mass destruction, but the second is quite interesting,” Gregory said. “Because do you know what mass destruction really does? It brings people together. We are Boston strong and we are America strong, and choosing to mess with us was a terrible idea.

“How’s that for your victim impact statement?”

Meghan Zipin, another survivor, summed up a sentiment felt by many of her fellows who have struggled to piece their lives together and make sense of the prolonged trial.

She said that while sitting in court she had reflected on her future – going home to her husband, doing yoga and having pizza – contrasted with Tsarnaev’s future in prison and the courts. “I realized I’m the one who’s alive. The defendant, he’s already dead.”
FourthBase

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:36 pm

'I am guilty and I am sorry'

Words that never came out of the mouths of Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, or Sirhan Bishara Sirhan.

To be clear, I'm not saying the Tsarnaevs weren't patsies. Just not in the same way as the patsies above. More like Marinus van der Lubbe.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby lyrimal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:04 pm

His loved ones may have been threatened, he may have been drugged, it may not have even been him. This confession changes absolutely nothing, the compulsive liars are still compulsive liars.
lyrimal

Postby IanEye » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:45 pm

lyrimal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:04 pm wrote:the compulsive liars are still compulsive liars.

Indeed.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby zangtang » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:14 am

well, somebody's lying................
zangtang

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:51 pm

...compulsively.
Iamwhomiam

Postby redsock » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 am

I thought he had an injury which did not allow him to speak. I didn't see any mention of that in the above story...
redsock

Postby FourthBase » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:57 pm

I thought he had an injury which did not allow him to speak. I didn't see any mention of that in the above story...

viewtopic.php?p=506342&sid=6a7198376fdbee3309ecde2927f838fa#p506342

seemslikeadream » 04 Jun 2013 20:19 wrote:
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Boston Bombing Suspect, Getting Donations From Supporters
Posted: 06/04/2013 6:02 pm EDT | Updated: 06/04/2013 9:10 pm EDT

Donations have been pouring in for Dzokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving Boston bombing suspect told his mother in a phone call from a military hospital, Channel 4 reported.

In the first released recording of Tsarnaev’s voice since the April 15 attacks, the suspect told his mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, that supporters have set up a bank account for him and have donated about $1,000, Channel 4 reported. Tsarnaeva, who spoke to the news outlet with her ex-husband in Dagestan, shared that she’s also been getting help from supporters, and has collected about $8,000.

The mother and son were forbidden from speaking about the attacks that claimed three lives and injured at least 260 people. But Tsarnaeva shared her son’s positive sentiments.

“Mama, do not worry about me. I do have money,” Tsarnaev said, according to his mother. “Somebody opened [an] account for me. People send me money here. I do have a lot of money.”

Tsarnaev’s supporters have also taken to social networking sites to make their voices heard. The “Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Free Jahar movement” Facebook page has more than 8,000 members. The group states that the 19-year-old’s “life has been stolen and has been made into a public object of hate, created by the inaccurate reports by the media.” His fans are also speaking out on Twitter and are using the hashtag #freejahar and handles that include, @FreeJaha @Fighting4Jahar and @PrayForJaharr.

The suspect’s parents insist that Tsarnaev, and his brother –- Tamerlan, who died after an explosive shootout with police –- are innocent.

"It's all lies and hypocrisy," Tsarnaeva told The Associated Press in Dagestan in April. "I'm sick and tired of all this nonsense that they make up about me and my children.”

Tsarnaev is currently awaiting trial and faces federal charges that carry the death penalty.
FourthBase

Postby FourthBase » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:19 am

FourthBase » 24 May 2015 23:25 wrote:As far as better questions, here's a couple I posed in an email a few days ago to Russ Baker, who said they were good questions:

Why hasn't Peter Furth's name ever appeared in print anywhere in connection to the carjacking story of Dun/Manny/Danny Meng given that he was Meng's advisor and was also quoted in a Moskowitz article circa 2011?

Also, is there any way to find out what Meng's family does in China? Perhaps they're prominent and that's the reason why he maintained anonymity for so long?

As far as I can tell, this post will be the first place anywhere online that mentions the name Peter Furth in the context of the bombings/carjacking. All I did was google "Dun Meng" + advisor. Second result. Then I googled "Peter Furth" + Moskowitz. First result. Voila, there's the mysterious advisor who hooked "Danny" up with Fox, and the mysterious Northeastern contact who got Moskowitz the scoop. He doesn't seem all that special, just a dry urban planning academic, except maybe for his position on the staff of the Dukakis Center. Looking forward to see if Baker turns up anything of significance or not.

So, still nothing from Russ Baker re: Peter Furth. You would think that, given all the attention on WhoWhatWhy to Danny/Dun's mysterious saga especially regarding the network of handlers, finally identifying the Northeastern advisor who connected Danny/Dun to both Fox and Moskowitz would be a significant step toward puzzle-completion. I guess not? And there's no urgency to further investigate Meng's background, to search for elite family connections, and so forth? No curiosity, even?

This -- the quoted post, and this post I'm writing now -- still seems to be literally the only place in the entire fucking world which mentions Furth in the context of "Danny" and the Tsarnaevs, etc. Although, technically, there is one other place from a month after mine which nearly does so, by providing a hyperlink to the abstract with Furth's name embedded but nothing more:

http://marathon-bombing-discussion.2346 ... 6p489.html

By the way, check out that whole thread. Whatever board that is, it's fucking awesome. Puts other wannabe sleuthers to shame. For example:

Ironically (or not), it appears Meng used to live at 3_4 Ocean Drive in Revere, virtually the same address for the Saudi national that was arrested after the bombing.

What a coincidence, eh?
FourthBase

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion