Everyday Sexism

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Perelandra » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Harassment in Science, Replicated

By CHRISTIE ASCHWANDEN
AUG. 11, 2014

As an undergraduate student in biology, I spent several weeks in Costa Rica one summer with an older graduate student on a research project deep in the cloud forest. It was just the two of us, and upon arriving at our site, I discovered that he had arranged a single room for us, one bed.

Mortified but afraid of being labeled prudish or difficult, I made no fuss. I took the lodge owner aside the next day and requested my own bed. The problem ended there, and my graduate student boss never made any physical advances.

Reflecting back, I’m struck by how ill equipped I was to deal with this kind of situation, especially at 19. My university undoubtedly had a harassment policy, but such resources were thousands of miles away. I was alone in a foreign country and had never received any training on my rights and resources in the field.

I’d forgotten about this experience from two decades ago until I read a report published July 16 in the journal PLOS One. Kathryn Clancy, an anthropologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and three colleagues used email and social media to invite scientists to fill out an online questionnaire about their experiences with harassment and assault at field sites; they received 666 responses, three quarters of them from women, from 32 disciplines, including anthropology, archaeology, biology and geology.

Almost two-thirds of the respondents said they had been sexually harassed in the field. More than 20 percent reported being sexually assaulted. Students or postdoctoral scholars, and women were most likely to report being victimized by superiors. Very few respondents said their field site had a code of conduct or sexual harassment policy, and of the 78 who had dared to report incidents, fewer than 20 percent were satisfied with the outcome.

The findings are depressingly similar to the data some colleagues and I collected this year from an online questionnaire sent to science writers. We received responses from 502 writers, mostly women, and presented our results at M.I.T. in June during Solutions Summit 2014: Women in Science Writing, a conference funded by the National Association of Science Writers.

More than half of the female respondents said they weren’t taken seriously because of their gender, one in three had experienced delayed career advancement, and nearly half said they had not received credit for their ideas. Almost half said they had encountered flirtatious or sexual remarks, and one in five had experienced uninvited physical contact.

Given their voluntary nature, neither report can be expected to tell us the true incidence of sexual discrimination and harassment among scientists and science writers. Still, the volume of responses sends an unmistakable message: Four decades after Title IX outlawed sex-based discrimination in public education and 23 years after Anita Hill pushed sexual harassment into the limelight, bias and harassment continue to hinder women’s progress.

Dr. Clancy says she decided to collect data after being overwhelmed with responses to a post she published on her blog at Scientific American in 2012. A female student, “Hazed,” recounted life in her graduate program:

“My body and my sexuality were openly discussed by my professor and the male students,” the woman wrote. “Comments ensued about the large size of my breasts, and there was speculation about my sexual history.” Her professor, she said, “often joked that only pretty women were allowed to work for him, which led me to wonder if my intellect and skills had ever mattered.”

Comments and emails poured in, Dr. Clancy said: “One story quickly became two stories, and quickly became what felt like 100.”

Similarly, our survey of writers grew out of well-publicized harassment accusations against a prominent male editor who was a mentor to many female writers. Those incidents led women to come forward with their stories of discrimination throughout the profession.

In academia, accusations of sexual harassment or assault are usually handled internally, Dr. Clancy says, and this can create powerful incentives to cover up bad behavior, especially among perpetrators with tenure and power. “I’ve heard too many stories about the professor who isn’t allowed to be in a room with X, Y and Z anymore,” she said. Sometimes perpetrators even benefit by getting out of dreaded teaching assignments while keeping their jobs.

Harassment among science writers spawned a hashtag, #ripplesofdoubt, to describe how harassment undermines women. Some women who had been passed over for jobs wondered if they had been rejected for their looks rather than their work. Others worried that they might not have attained their positions on merit.

Indeed, data suggest bias in mentoring decisions. In a study published this year, a team of researchers led by Katherine L. Milkman at the University of Pennsylvania sent identical letters, purportedly from students, to more than 6,500 professors at 259 universities asking to discuss research opportunities. Professors were more likely to respond to email from “Brad Anderson” than from fictitious aspirants with names like Claire Smith or Juan Gonzalez. Such bias perpetuates discrimination.

“Our world is small and our resources are scarce,” said another author of the PLOS One report, Julienne Rutherford, a biological anthropologist at the University of Illinois at Chicago. If women are dissuaded or excluded from even a handful of opportunities, she continued, the loss to science is enormous.

Last year, at the annual conference of the National Association of Science Writers, I joined five leading female science writers to present data we had collected on gender disparities in bylines, top-level jobs, awards and salaries, and to recount personal stories of times when our gender had stood in the way of our careers.

Afterward, long lines formed at the microphones as people in the audience stood up to share their stories. Young women told of being harassed by sources. Seasoned journalists recalled male bosses with wandering hands.

Men rose to offer support. The director of a prominent science writing program said that the next time one of his students confided she was being harassed in an internship, he was going to intervene. (Apparently it had not occurred to him before.)

Most men are not creeps, and they have a powerful role to play here. During a field trip at a journalism conference a few years ago, I had an engaging conversation with a keynote speaker. As we parted, he told me, in front of two other men, “Your husband shouldn’t let you out of the house.”

The two bystanders brushed off this insulting attempt at a compliment. It was easier for them to let it go than to call out a friend, and their behavior said it was all right to treat me like that.

Whether harassment or discrimination takes place at a field site in Costa Rica or in a conference room, the problem will not be solved with new rules archived on unread websites. The responsibility for pushing back should not rest solely with the victims. Solutions require a change of culture that can happen only from within.

It will take chief executives, department heads, laboratory directors, professors, publishers and editors in chief to take a stand and say: Not on my watch. I don’t care if you’re my friend or my favorite colleague; we don’t treat women like that.

Christie Aschwanden, a science writer in Colorado, is a frequent contributor to Science Times.
Links in original.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/12/science/harassment-in-science-replicated.html?ref=science
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Everyday Sexism

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:11 pm

^^WOW.

What an erudite and casually devastating essay!

Highly recommend checking out the goldmine of links in the original.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:33 pm

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 88441.html

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 • Updated at 12:29 PM EDT

A man who police say tried to defend a group of women from catcallers landed in the hospital after he was brutally assaulted in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square early Saturday morning.

Police say the 39-year-old man who was visiting from Texas was walking along 18th and Walnut Streets around 2:45 a.m. when he observed several men inside a Black Nissan pull up next to a group of women.

The men inside the Nissan began taunting and catcalling the women, according to investigators, prompting the victim to get involved.

"The male victim took offense to something that the guys were saying to the girls and said 'hey, watch what you're saying,'" said Philadelphia Police Captain George Fuchs.

Police say one of the men inside the Nissan then got out of the car and punched the victim once in the head. The man was knocked unconscious after he fell and struck his head on the concrete

The suspect then ran back into the Nissan which fled west on Walnut. The victim was taken to Hahnemann Hospital where he is currently in stable condition.

"This is a tragic, tragic story," Captain Fuchs said. "Here's a guy trying to stick up for these girls and he gets victimized."

Police say the suspect's Nissan had Delaware tags. They are currently looking through surveillance video to see if they can find the license plate number. They are also speaking to a witness at Central Detectives.

If you have any information on the attack, please call Philadelphia Police.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 pm

I've heard stories like that before. This is not a very safe city for standing up to street harassment. I was scarred and given a permanent click in my jaw for telling a small group of guys to cool it on my two friends and at-the-time partner. I probably could have been killed; I found out later that one of my attackers later died a violent death.

When Hollaback started here it made me nervous. I imagined that any retort or response whatsoever only increases the threat of violence manifold. I had determined that this was not a problem to be solved peacefully.

Maybe it's better to just focus on younger boys while they are still formulating their worldview. Street harassment here is bonkers and always has been.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby LilyPatToo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:34 pm

A guy who lives in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco got stabbed 9 times for speaking to a catcaller who was harassing his girlfriend as they walked home together. Sobering story about the perils of calling a jerk on his behavior...

I carry pepper spray or Mace everywhere I walk alone, but I'm usually just too afraid of the aggressive catcallers to confront them. I want to though. And I carry the weapon clearly visible in my hand to discourage the cowards from getting too close to me. Years ago, when I was approached by a strange man on a dark street in Oakland and was in real danger, I dissociated and a very scary alter took over long enough to shove the Mace right into his face. He backed down immediately, but I nearly had a heart attack afterwards, thinking about how it could have gone :zomg

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Here's a story I was just reminded of. Me and and my girlfriend were driving home from a night out in Denver and some guys in a car pulled up as we were driving telling her to get out of the car and totally threatening me. I was scared as fuck, but I told them to go fuck themselves. Well that pissed the them off. I didn't back down and didn't escalate. I just went about my business, stopped at a 7-11 for some smokes. They followed us into the parking lot. When I got out of the car they told us that they were going to kill me, fuck my girlfriend, her mother and my mother. Then some cops rolled up, not knowing a thing. I'm at the counter and the cop is right behind me in line to buy some chew. One of the guys in the car comes in and is behind the cop and asks the cop if he was going to be leaving after his purchase. He replies with a "yeah, why?"

The dude says just wondering or something. So I go outside and wait for the cop to come out and asked him if he wanted to know why he asked him that. He said yeah. So I told him the above. He said get the fuck out of here and no sooner had he done so, like three cop cars swarmed their car and I just drove home.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby LilyPatToo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:28 pm

This crap happens in Germany too--a young woman intervened in 2 teenaged girls' harassment and was beaten with a baseball bat later in a parking lot :( Here's the sad story. And toward the end several other cases are mentioned--including one that I hadn't heard of, in Philadelphia--where a defender attempted to intervene.

This and the creepy Cosby case and the disgusting UVA response to a violent gang rape at a frat house that I just read about have combined to make me really depressed right now. Even though I still firmly believe that most people are decent, the sociopathic, predatory group that hides among us is seeming larger and more unstoppable than even I realized...and given my past, that's pretty horrifying.

But what can be done?

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Wed May 27, 2015 2:26 pm

We just acquired a new waitron. He's about my age and married. The first thing he said to me was "Hi Honey. Are you the Chef's Helper?"

I was floored. I went thru some hellacious hazing when I entered this ugly profession but I haven't been talked to that way in 20 years.

He hies from Vegas, which might explain some of the culture and I think he is drinking in the back bathroom and covering up with aftershave as well. I am waiting for my boss to respond to his verbal and olfactory onslaught. Most of the rest of the female staff have complained as well.

We'll see what happens. I am dreading having to look for another job.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed May 27, 2015 3:30 pm

I hope you don't either. It doesn't sound like he's going to be good for business.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Thu May 28, 2015 10:55 am

Pele'sDaughter » Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 pm wrote:I hope you don't either. It doesn't sound like he's going to be good for business.

That's a worry too. Although the brewery moving in next door is probably more worrisome. :zomg

I'm hoping some of the worst of that is going to age out eventually. I work on weekends with a very smart young man of about 16 and I can tell he is taking this in and is aghast at this man's behavior. So are the 20 something waiters at the taproom. When I told my son, who is also still quite a young man, he was quite derisive about sexist/overly familiar language and assumptions. Long story short, the younger guys I know are appalled by that sort of blatant sexism. Now whether they have absorbed more subtle sexist messages remains to be seen, but it is not flattering or acceptable to young male peers to appear to be a MadMen era trogledyte.
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Previous

Return to General Discussion