Engagement, Attention, and Death

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Engagement, Attention, and Death

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:49 pm

Joao » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 pm wrote:I'm not really HMW.

No, but you're a clever one.

3. Seems best if one person runs the tool and collects the data, as opposed to everybody (loosely used) running it individually and hitting Jeff/George Soros with a big bandwidth bill. Ideally, that person would review the files for issues like those above, and post samples for knowledgeable members to assist with remediation. Once complete, that person could zip up the whole thing and post it to a file-sharing site.

That sounds like the right idea. Especially since an equivalent to Forum Downloader doesn't exist for osx. There are site-suckers, of course, but can't find one specifically designed for forums.

Just ideas and several other possibilities are imaginable. As it stands, anybody using Windows can download the software now and pull down a nearly perfect version of the forum. I wouldn't be surprised if this tool produces a more user-friendly end-product than even what somebody with admin access could provide. Voilà, wookies.

Thanks for setting it in motion.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joao » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 am

After spending more time with the software, the process has proven more difficult than expected.

Thread and forum pagination aren't detected properly by the automated algorithms, which leads to significant gaps in the downloaded archive. User details associated with each post are also captured erratically.

Manually configuring the "detection" screen has promise, however, and some headway was made with the pagination issue. It would take careful review of the forum's HTML source to get all the specifics right.

I'm also encountering an issue where the software is misreading forum links, resulting in File Not Found errors. Again, configuring the "detection" screen properly may help.

Perhaps someone else has the patience and interest to pick this up. This is still the best tool I can find for this purpose. Searching the web reveals a lot people trying to do the same thing but very few helpful answers. I did see some purported solutions which rely on Ruby or Python, but those are over my head.
Joao

Postby tron » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 am

how is jeff doing? does he still pay the bill for this place? maybe someone who deals with the tech side of the forum could ftp dump it and share it in one big chunk?
tron

Postby Luther Blissett » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:37 am

We raised funds a few years ago, maybe we exceeded. Might be time to kick again.

Yeah Ruby or Python would do it. I'm sure there's some script kid on youtube with a tutorial.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby psynapz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Luther Blissett » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:37 am wrote:We raised funds a few years ago, maybe we exceeded. Might be time to kick again.

Yeah Ruby or Python would do it. I'm sure there's some script kid on youtube with a tutorial.

In the Python world there's Scrapy, which is a framework for building a task-specific web scraper. This guy posted one for phpBB a year ago (haven't tried it):

https://github.com/rlacherksu/phpBB_crawler
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:53 am

Dudes, like, what if we missed bigfoot disclosure because of the election?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Re: Happy New Year, first of all...

Postby IanEye » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Luther Blissett » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:53 am wrote:Dudes, like, what if we missed bigfoot disclosure because of the election?

Bump.

IanEye » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm wrote:Let's start here. Time: it's finite.

Thank you for your time.

1 night while sleeping in my bed
eye had a beautiful dream

all the people of the world got together
on the same wavelength & began helping one another

now in this dream
universal love was the theme of the day

peace & understanding
it happened this way

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:As the cycle of Mundane & Meaningless accelerates, I do wonder what RI might return to on November 12th (after the riots die down).

eye am gonna pick up my axe
& fight like a farmer

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Previous

Return to General Discussion