Engagement, Attention, and Death

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Perelandra » Sat May 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:I reject it, I rebuke it -- yea, verily the whole thing. I do not buy the contention that my recent extensive reading about the October Surprise is history or somehow less relevant to the Eternal Now of my subjective sensory reality than whatever's trending on Google News, you know, "right now." Temporality is real enough, but the pace and import of the news cycle is wholly manufactured by sociopaths who do not have your best interests in mind.
Can't be stressed enough.

Longevity as a goal could be an interesting topic, as touched upon earlier.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Engagement, Attention, and Death

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am

Bumping.

:fawked:

Food for thought from a community that closely parallels RI: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... opic=20259

This is a start of a new regime at the Forum. If any other member makes abusive comments about a fellow member, their membership will also be deleted. If anyone tries to subvert this measure by posting comments of banned members, they will also be removed from the forum.

This is the last chance for the JFK Forum. If this new approach does not work, the whole forum will be removed.

ASK YOURSELF IF YOU VALUE THIS PLACE ENOUGH TO KEEP IT ALIVE. Seriously.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby General Patton » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Oh little ticky tacky on the wall
Little ticky tack the bravest of them all
So proud and stiff, surviving on the wall

Lifted on high, little ticky tacky
I know you're mounted and happy
but you ain't nothin' like a blue berry muffin

штрафбат вперед
General Patton

you know who eye am, he said.

Postby IanEye » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Carol Newquist » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 am wrote:Who or what I am is not germane to this topic

Wombaticus Rex » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm wrote:
What if we all viewed this as our project rather than our property?

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby cptmarginal » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Bump...

Wombaticus Rex wrote:What if we all viewed this as our project rather than our property? Having been there for awhile now, I can report, quite subjectively, that I have never cared "who started it" when arguments and petty tit-for-tat, 30-quotes-deep, multi-page fuckery breaks out. Both sides are taking huge turds in everyone's punch bowl.

I just wanted to say that, really: it's poop, just poop, and it keeps floating in front of my screen. Also: you're going to die.

Thank you for your time.

Wombaticus Rex wrote:We moderators are not leaders so much as janitors.

If RI expects me to be in the middle of all your arguments, I resign from my position effective immediately. That's a waste of my life, and anyone elses.

I also relate quite well to this post:

8bitagent wrote:I literally, literally don't get the endless bickering/personal attacks/childishness. Never in my 20 years online have I ever seen it, particularly from folks well upwards of the typical 17-25 year old online nerd demographic.
But you guys are all smarter than the average online citizen so I can forgive it. Seriously, you guys are smart. It's a delicate balance to be that good of a seer and *not* fall too far into aspergers.
RI is for a very special breed of "conspiracy theorist" junkie, if I may use that term.

Go to any other political/social discussion forum. Go to left, and it becomes a stuffy shirt gatekeeper site where the slightest whiff of extra curricular positing lands you with a cold shoulder and stern warning.
Go even marginally to the right, and it ends up in Tea Party patriot militia world. And lean any other way conspiracy wise, you end up with mentally unstable paranoid tools who pass along each and every
youtube "illuminati rap" and "tragedy hoax" video like it's gospel. So good job on being the right balance of smarts, humor, social justice, deep politic and the right about of woo.
cptmarginal

Postby Elvis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 pm

cptmarginal » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm wrote:Bump...

Wombaticus Rex wrote:What if we all viewed this as our project rather than our property? Having been there for awhile now, I can report, quite subjectively, that I have never cared "who started it" when arguments and petty tit-for-tat, 30-quotes-deep, multi-page fuckery breaks out. Both sides are taking huge turds in everyone's punch bowl.

I just wanted to say that, really: it's poop, just poop, and it keeps floating in front of my screen. Also: you're going to die.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks for bumping that. I hope everyone fathoms the loss to this board.

Could this be a sticky?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 am

I try to treat it like a project. I know that I don't contribute very quality material very often, but for any given project I'm working on outside, in real life, this is where I start.

My excuse for the quality of my posts is that I am involved in design theory and systems design, so the projects are put together collaboratively, visually, and interactively. This involves research but not the same writing that you all are more than capable of.

The last few years or so I've found myself more drawn into direct action, of live meetings and discourse. That's tiresome too and I always come back to the clean cartographies that rigorous intuition has helped me create. I'm constantly torn between those two poles. On one hand the projects can be bullshit, on the other activism is slow and painful even for an optimist like me.

I used to view this place as a sort of analysis wing of the people's side in the global cyber war, crescendoing towards occupy wall street. It's as if few of us believed action or revolution was possible after Seattle 99 and the very bizarre set of circumstances that middle globalization period brought us, but then the pot finally boiled over. This huge realization / movement / letdown / disappointment / nuisance caused growing pains as we tried to envision how to do the most good or to love humanity the most in the foreseeable future in all our own ways.

Because of my perspective, I'm with 8bit, I can't figure out the fights. I just keep compiling notes and contributing where I can, reaching out to people to collaborate on projects, and hopefully I'll have something big to share with you someday because I'd owe it all to all of you.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:15 am

Nice one Luther.

I'll second that.
Hammer of Los

Postby Sounder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:23 am

Thanks for the bump Luther and HoL

stickdog99 wrote...
I have belatedly come to realized that it is just not that big of a deal. My solution to the problem is to attempt to heal myself. If I recall correctly, the Son of the Internet once said, "Do not do unto any thread that which you would not want to be subjected to read were you not personally involved."

Wombat wrote....
The media cycle isn't ours, it's not the global brain, it's inflicted upon us at great expense to the ruling class.

We are a bunch of funking jumping jellybeans.
Sounder

Postby jakell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 am

Nice window into RI's status shortly before I took the plunge here, to an outsider it quite plain to see arc the forum is on. Now I've been officially elevated to the status of 'newcomer', I'm possibly slightly more qualified to comment, but still not nearly enough IMO, and it will be interesting to see what the veterans have to say first.

Of course, if silence ensues once more, I may feel compelled to say some stuff.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:14 pm

^^^ Dude, It's been 9 months and the silence is killing me - so whadya got?

In the meantime,

He that can heroically endure adversity will bear prosperity with equal greatness of soul; for the mind that cannot be dejected by the former is not likely to be transported with the latter.

Henry Fielding

Been savin this for a while. Seems like as good place as any for it, late to the show as I am. (but I do remember reading at least some of it way back then)
Iamwhomiam

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm

As the cycle of Mundane & Meaningless accelerates, I do wonder what RI might return to on November 12th (after the riots die down).

The news has all been engaging and exciting, but it feels like snorting triple-stamped Hells Angel cocaine in a department store bathroom, doesn't it?

What? Not a relatable metaphor? Okay: it feels like a plastic fake.

When the head of CNN publicizes his own mea culpa about airing too many Trump rallies, I smell it. Wrestlemania is huge and heavy on nostalgia: bringing out Olbermann or Jon Stewart or Clint Eastwood is a guaranteed pop, the audience lives for that shit.

I've accepted never knowing if Trump is savvy actor or deluded dupe, considering his defense of his accomplishments is every bit as reasoned as his excuses for questions he didn't see coming, and considering nobody in his orbit can be remotely trusted before, during or after the fact. Inevitably, someone anonymous or tangential from the HRC2016 campaign will come forward in paramedia as a "whistleblower," saying that the Clinton/Trump fix was in since 2014, confirming everything I suspected, and I won't believe that, either.

I'm suggesting that what matters most about Election 2016 is the fact we will be in the same fundamental position once it's done.

I don't propose we discuss anything here; best not to, really. But, do think about it.

What got shaken loose during the past 12 months?
What happened in the past 8 years that got overlooked by everyone, including us?
What can we re-build actual American Majorities around now? I mean, Canadian Majorities.
What are people ready to think about in 2017 that they wouldn't admit to thinking about in 2015?
Where is global capital weakest? Mainstream media? Federal law enforcement?
What if there are no policy-level solutions for the problems we discuss here?
What if "lowering the bar" isn't necessarily bad? What if that creates more opportunities for candidates with fringe beliefs? Like you?
What value does engaging with pop culture have when nobody who loved Stranger Things will read A Terrible Mistake?

And the only serious one I'm posing to us:

What sub-forum should we move the actual research to? No, really.
Wombaticus Rex

Happy New Year, first of all...

Postby IanEye » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue May 14, 2013 7:43 pm wrote:Let's start here. Time: it's finite.

Thank you for your time.

1 night while sleeping in my bed
eye had a beautiful dream

all the people of the world got together
on the same wavelength & began helping one another

now in this dream
universal love was the theme of the day

peace & understanding
it happened this way

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm wrote:As the cycle of Mundane & Meaningless accelerates, I do wonder what RI might return to on November 12th (after the riots die down).

eye am gonna pick up my axe
& fight like a farmer

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby km artlu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:31 pm

What sub-forum should we move the actual research to?

How about the (not yet existing) one with zero-tolerance for ad hominem content?
km artlu

Postby brekin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 am

It seems the election cycle has started earlier, become ever-continuous, fraught with end time histrionics, and embued with so much promised coming conspiracy and violence that a long with threatened government shutdowns, regime change, and rumors of war, that to be considered up on current events these days means you are a hysterical burnout. Everyone I know is exhausted. Not since 9/11 have people been so goddamn morose. Some form of buddhist detachment seems to be almost mandated to just have some balance, but there is the sense that the whole ship could slip from ones hand and sink in a matter of weeks. I really feel like there should be a moratorium on politics for a year after this. A static hold on everything. And this from someone who honestly can't be bothered with most of this shit. All of it eats your time, your life force. Third party, fourth party candidates, etc. Just sponges of passion. The big two; there's just no escapin the machine.

Knowing everything about HRC, I'm still going to vote for her. Now I know I should say no. But that's kind of hard when shes ready to go. I may be dumb. But I'm not a dweeb. I'm just a sucker with no self esteem.

I wrote her off for the tenth time today
And practice all the things I would say
But she came over
I lost my nerve
I took her back and made her dessert

Now I know Im being used
Thats okay man cause I like the abuse
I know shes playing with me
Thats okay cause I got no self esteem

We make plans to go out at night
I wait till 2 then I turn out the light
All this rejections got me so low
If she keeps it up I just might tell her no

Chorus
When shes saying that she wants only me
Then I wonder why she sleeps with my friends
When shes saying that Im like a disease
Then I wonder how much more I can spend
Well I guess I should speak up for myself
But I really think its better this way
The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care
Right? yeah yeah yeah

Now Ill relate this little bit
That happens more than Id like to admit
Late at night she knocks on my door
Drunk again and looking to score

Now I know I should say no
But thats kind of hard when shes ready to go
I may be dumb
But Im not a dweeb
Im just a sucker with no self esteem
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion