How Do You Guys Do It?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Do You Guys Do It?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Elvis » 10 Jun 2013 07:28 wrote:
Alchemy wrote:I just couldnt live with myself thinking of him sitting in the window facing the carport every evening as he does, waiting for me to pull in from work, and me not showing up and the poor guy thinking I just abandoned him and dont love him anymore, brings me to tears just talking about it!

=)

That's beautiful, and exactly how I feel about my cat. She's an adorably "needy" creature, and I love making her safe and comfy, but I think some of my cynicism has rubbed off on her.

8bit, if you don't have one already, an animal friend can be most rewarding for both parties. (If you adopt one, make it a serious commitment, many people don't consider that animals have emotional lives of their own.)

Alchemy that is one of the best things I have read here. And Elvis, cheers.

My daughter just opened a cupboard into her head and was screaming.

Your cat pic turned her frown upside down.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Two things have worked well for me.

I try to do what needs to be done so I may feel free when doing what I want to do.

But the big rewards come from trying to make the lives of others easier.

I fake it well.

That too I suppose.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby KeenInsight » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:29 pm

8bitagent » 09 Jun 2013 06:52 wrote:Well seeing MLK always cheers me up. It's staggering to think a man like that existed.

He existed and was snuffed out by government perps. When good people of conscious try to end the corrupt, violent nature of Military/Bankster Industrial Complex, in the end it seems there is no room left for Good People. But, they did what was right, and I guess that's what matters. Unfortunately, that era left a nation in a state that was never healed. JFK, Oswald, Tippit, 1,400 witness deaths, RFK, MLK, Paul Wellstone, and many more.

Oh and then this:

"When he [Obama] was elected, I thought, thank god we're done with George Bush, and its worse! We're in 3 wars and gitmo still isn't closed. You know what that tells me? He ain't in charge. Thats what it says to me. Maybe he got in office and they sat him down and showed him the Zapruder film. Maybe they said, 'You know you better look at this, this is what we do to Presidents.'"

The way to keep it together is simply to stay informed and educated. Empires rise and fall, but good people always triumph. Not knowing information can't hurt them right?
KeenInsight

Postby OP ED » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:18 pm

coffee.
OP ED

Postby Col Quisp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:52 pm

I watch Mad Men to stay sane. I pretend I'm living in their timeline. That song from last week was dope, er killer, or whatever the kids say today. The one by the Fly-bi-Nites, "Found Love," in the scene where Don Draper is having a near-death experience. That was far-out. It scares me how many things in that show correspond to events in my own life. LIke the writers have reached into my mind and are using my time track for their own purposes! For real! Or they are sending me messages on the sly by letting me know they know me. Beam in on me baby, and we'll beam together! I know we've always been together. Big eyed beans from Venus! Oh my, oh my.

8bit? still think we're sane here?
Col Quisp

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:10 am

Sometimes you just gotta take a break. Don't think about it. Don't come here! Kill your tv, avoid all of it as much as you can. You'll know it when you're ready to dive in again.

Also, i always think of it this: was there any particular Roman who was able to do anything about the decadence and evil that Rome fell into? Probably not. Some day we'll be like the long forgotten Romans who wanted to stop their evil government but could not --utterly meaningless. In so many ways we're just along for the ride. It's history being made. Yes we are that helpless.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby OP ED » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Nordic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 am wrote:Sometimes you just gotta take a break. Don't think about it. Don't come here! Kill your tv, avoid all of it as much as you can. You'll know it when you're ready to dive in again.

Also, i always think of it this: was there any particular Roman who was able to do anything about the decadence and evil that Rome fell into? Probably not. Some day we'll be like the long forgotten Romans who wanted to stop their evil government but could not --utterly meaningless. In so many ways we're just along for the ride. It's history being made. Yes we are that helpless.

it sounds so kinky when you put it that way.

its a sound point though.

[not having tv at all is one of the best decisions i've ever made, btw, if you haven't tried it you should, its nice]

[unplug your computer occassionally too, take a couple weeks off]

grab some vacation.

:: ::

8bit you need to chill. stop worrying so much. it doesn't really help anyway.

go get yourself some chemical intoxicants, or some flesh while you still can.

sleep all day.

fly a kite. adopt a puppy. or blow something up real good. do whatever it is that you need in order to keep your head on straight.

just get yourself taken care of. squared away. it is very important to do this regularly.

yes, the world needs people like you to be angry sometimes.

but it also needs you to be happy sometimes.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:19 am

OP ED » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 pm wrote:
Nordic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 am wrote:Sometimes you just gotta take a break. Don't think about it. Don't come here! Kill your tv, avoid all of it as much as you can. You'll know it when you're ready to dive in again.

it sounds so kinky when you put it that way.

its a sound point though.

[not having tv at all is one of the best decisions i've ever made, btw, if you haven't tried it you should, its nice]

[unplug your computer occassionally too, take a couple weeks off]

grab some vacation.

8bit you need to chill. stop worrying so much. it doesn't really help anyway.

go get yourself some chemical intoxicants, or some flesh while you still can.

sleep all day.

fly a kite. adopt a puppy. or blow something up real good. do whatever it is that you need in order to keep your head on straight.

just get yourself taken care of. squared away. it is very important to do this regularly.

yes, the world needs people like you to be angry sometimes.

but it also needs you to be happy sometimes.

Eeeep! I hope my post didn't give off *that* sort of sociological profile! I sometimes make snarky cynical observations in a pseudo Hicksian way but I'm far from angry or on edge. I joke that I've been hopelessly calibrated
to fun mercurial whimsical mode most the time. I guess I'm more Pee Wee Herman than Charles Bronson. Yeah trips are good. Finally planning to take a vacation to Portland for a couple weeks, possibly even Seattle.
I will say I feel much closer to my online friends than I do my "local friends".

My post wasn't about how do you guys keep within a set mental framework regarding all the shit going on in the world, but just life as a functioning adult. I still feel like a blank slate, as prolific as I've been with creative projects all these years. The positive thing is I don't feel too cynical and actually feel younger than I did even a decade ago.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:00 am

I fake it, hide depressions from public view, drink and think about girls and art and revolution all day, console myself with varied internal monologues on the sociology of it, and do good PR online. Cos real life is a train wreck, like with most people.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby justdrew » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 am

well, I didn't do it. At least not completely and consistently. How I'm going to do it is my main occupation atm. :eeyaa
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby gnosticheresy_2 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:00 am

When I remember to, I laugh at the utter ridiculousness of it all
gnosticheresy_2

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 am

8bit, you better come to Seattle. Drop by PDX, pick up Drew and Mary then roll up here! Me, Willow, Twyla and Elvis will figure out the rest.

Seriously, this is an order, young man.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:23 am

8bitagent wrote:Yeah trips are good.

:tongout
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 82_28 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:07 am

As to the OP.

How I do it is probably a lot like Jack does it. Drink, smoke, think about an ideal relationship and wander a sliver of the Earth afforded me.

It is quite odd how similar we all are. Everyone I've met from RI instantly sees into each other's eyes and sees a kindred spirit. Because we are.

Today this girl I've been hanging out with told me that, seriously, she told me that "I think too much" and I "brood over everything" and that she was "losing patience".

I told her that if you've lost your patience, I truly hope you're able to find it again. Not with me! I just truly hope that she can find what she has lost. I became angry with her and pointed out the shit she "broods" over herself. She told me that I am constantly changing subjects when I talk. She told me that a lot of what I talk about makes no sense. Ultimately, I wasn't offended at all, I just dealt with it. She dropped me off downtown after not inviting me to breakfast and I just wandered around ALL DAY. I probably walked 10 miles today. I wound up at Seattle Center and just laid in the grass, drinking beer in the shade and relaxed. Then the funniest thing happened.

A girl comes up to me and asks me if I have been attacked by any aggressive crows while I had been sitting there. She pointed out the squawking baby crows in the trees around I hadn't even noticed. I noticed the atmosphere of just taking it in, but she was on a mission. I didn't understand at first. But then she came back and asked if I would help her watch her camera as she conducted an experiment and survey of the language of the crows and how they recognize human faces, personas and what was making them aggressive when given food and babies are around. I know, right.

Well we wind up chatting a bit while she is meticulously jotting down the various calls of the crows, what other variants of bird were in the area and she's got this crazy ass freaky mask on in order to study the crows. I told her that I've read her professor's book.

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Crows-Rav ... 0300122551

All the while I am observing her observe and taking mental and creative notes of what the crows are thinking about being observed. I asked her if she thought the crows might know they were being observed. I wondered about the behavior of humans that crows understand some of us watch them in amazement.

I prefer the randomness and keeping things unlocked. All things unlocked in every which way of the term "unlocked". All is/are free.

http://www.earlyclues.com/2013/06/10/in ... or-advice/
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

That's great. I have to say dude. if I met someone on the street and they told me a story like that, and they had an American accent I'd assume it was you. You seem to do it a bit.

(BTW I last had an e in 1999.)
Joe Hillshoist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion