Edward Snowden, American Hero

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Edward Snowden, American Hero

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 am

brekin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 am wrote:
JackRiddler wrote:
brekin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 pm wrote:Balls, big brass ones. That's all I got to say. Thank god for Stone. Even if in the end, its just some weird shuffling of the intelligence deck he's just allowed to express the minority report of the Star Chamber, at least he does, and often does it well. Stone, Pakula, DePalma, the antidote to Clooneyism.

Pithy, that last sentence.

Who's Pakula, I ask hesitantly...

Alan Pakula, he directed Klute, The Parallax View, All The Presidents Men, Sophie's Choice and was producer for To Kill A Mockingbird. He was said to be getting to work on a big film on FDR but then died in a car accident, truck sent a pipe through his window impaling him. Interestingly, (and that could just be what it sounds like, a freak accident) a bio I read about him, written while he was still alive I believe, was talking about something along lines of what a methodical, anticapatory individual he was as a director and person, and then by way of illustration mentioned what a careful driver he was.

Wow, did not know those details about Pakula's death. Thanks... I just watched Klute. Very RI tone. His "paranoia trilogy" of Parallax View, Klute and All the President's Men was essential 70s cinema.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:02 am

I've seen all three and must now pay penance for not associating them with their director as I do with movies by people like Scorcese, Coppola, Kubrick, etc., even fucking Spielberg.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Code Unknown » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 am

brekin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 am wrote:
seemslikeadream wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSAiI3xMh4

Published on Apr 27, 2016
Academy Award®-winning director Oliver Stone, who brought Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street and JFK to the big screen, tackles the most important and fascinating true story of the 21st century. Snowden, the politically-charged, pulse-pounding thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Shailene Woodley, reveals the incredible untold personal story of Edward Snowden, the polarizing figure who exposed shocking illegal surveillance activities by the NSA and became one of the most wanted men in the world. He is considered a hero by some, and a traitor by others. No matter which you believe, the epic story of why he did it, who he left behind, and how he pulled it off makes for one of the most compelling films of the year.

Balls, big brass ones. That's all I got to say. Thank god for Stone. Even if in the end, its just some weird shuffling of the intelligence deck he's just allowed to express the minority report of the Star Chamber, at least he does, and often does it well. Stone, Pakula, DePalma, the antidote to Clooneyism.

You're all still taking Edward Snowden at face value? This place used to be a little skeptical…
Code Unknown

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:07 pm

^^Why shouldn't we? Do you know something we don't?
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Code Unknown » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:44 am wrote:
brekin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:45 am wrote:
seemslikeadream wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSAiI3xMh4

Published on Apr 27, 2016
Academy Award®-winning director Oliver Stone, who brought Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street and JFK to the big screen, tackles the most important and fascinating true story of the 21st century. Snowden, the politically-charged, pulse-pounding thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Shailene Woodley, reveals the incredible untold personal story of Edward Snowden, the polarizing figure who exposed shocking illegal surveillance activities by the NSA and became one of the most wanted men in the world. He is considered a hero by some, and a traitor by others. No matter which you believe, the epic story of why he did it, who he left behind, and how he pulled it off makes for one of the most compelling films of the year.

Balls, big brass ones. That's all I got to say. Thank god for Stone. Even if in the end, its just some weird shuffling of the intelligence deck he's just allowed to express the minority report of the Star Chamber, at least he does, and often does it well. Stone, Pakula, DePalma, the antidote to Clooneyism.

You're all still taking Edward Snowden at face value? This place used to be a little skeptical…

do tell ..maybe you should have been posting more in the last 6 years ...we probably missed something...huh?
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Is something cooking?

Huge Edward Snowden leak incoming. He just posted this code and then deleted within minutes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/com ... st_posted/

ffdae96f8dd292374a966ec8b57d9cc680ce1d23cb7072c522efe32a1a7e34b0

Snowden's Dead Man's Switch
Schneier on Security
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... ead_m.html

Dead man's switches have a long history, both for safety (the machinery automatically stops if the operator's hand goes slack) and security reasons. WikiLeaks did the same thing with the State Department cables.

"It's not just a matter of, if he dies, things get released, it's more nuanced than that," he said. "It's really just a way to protect himself against extremely rogue behavior on the part of the United States, by which I mean violent actions toward him, designed to end his life, and it's just a way to ensure that nobody feels incentivized to do that."

Also, ...

Anybody still got Snowden's insurance file?
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Novem5er » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:29 am

Grizzly » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 pm wrote:Is something cooking?

Huge Edward Snowden leak incoming. He just posted this code and then deleted within minutes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/com ... st_posted/

ffdae96f8dd292374a966ec8b57d9cc680ce1d23cb7072c522efe32a1a7e34b0

All this mystery and it's probably just that his cat walked across his keyboard.
Novem5er

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:13 pm

I thought all the skepticism around Snowden, Poitras, Greenwald et. al. comes from the idea that we've only read what, about 2% of his data dump?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby coffin_dodger » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:35 am

Edward Snowden streaming LIVE at StartPage.com on November 10!

Join us on Thursday, November 10, for an exclusive free post-election livestream Q&A with Edward Snowden. The world’s most famous whistleblower will address questions about how the US Election results will affect your privacy and his pardon, as well as other questions submitted via social media.

...starting at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern time on November 10...

cont - https://www.startpage.com/blog/our-latest-developments/edward-snowden-streaming-live-at-startpage-com-on-november-10/#hmb
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:49 am

Trump's CIA Director: Execute Edward Snowden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1kQsSB72c
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:42 am

Snowden: Donald Trump could get pal Putin to kick me out of Russia
Ex-NSA geek is trying not to let extradition possibility worry him

Snowden on Periscope today

13 Dec 2016 at 22:09, Iain Thomson
NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has warned Donald Trump, as US President, could do a deal with Russian leader Vladimir Putin to extradite or imprison the whistleblower.

In an hour-long live-streamed video interview on Periscope with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey today, Snowden argued the US had trapped him in Russia when it cancelled his passport. The ex-NSA IT nerd added the incoming White House administration – which seemingly has better relations with the Russian government than the Obama regime – may be able to get him kicked out of the country and delivered into the hands of Uncle Sam, or otherwise imprisoned.

"It could happen, sure, but am I worried? Not really – I am very comfortable with decisions I made and know I did the right thing," he said.

"If my personal security was the only thing I cared about I never would have come forward and revealed myself in public. I would have stayed at NSA making an incredible amount of money for very little work and [would] be spying on you."

Up until now the US had worked hard to keep him in Russia – even going so far as to force down the President of Bolivia's private jet to make sure Snowden wasn't trying to flee. Snowden said he may also have to leave the Putin-led nation because he criticizes the Russian administration. There is no suggestion at this stage that Russia will eject or punish the American fugitive.

Snowden said that he had made asylum requests to 21 countries but hasn't had any luck yet. If he does get sent to the US for a "show trial," Snowden will argue that he has released no secrets personally – giving that job to the press – and none of the information has harmed anyone nor the American government itself, according to two White House studies.

Ultimately, Snowden said he wanted to make the US, and the wider world, a better place. Citizens need to have privacy and legislators need powers of scrutiny, and the balance was changing, in part due to the information he handed over to journalists.

On fake news and the internet generation
During the presentation, Snowden also took questions from Twitter users on a variety of topics. One of the first questions concerned fake news, and Snowden suggested a solution.

Journalists have a tough time of it these days, he opined, because good and true stories don't excite people in the same way fake ones do. As a result, the fakes get social media traction while actual news gets left by the wayside.

Governments are going to try to use the fake news fracas as an excuse to censor news media, he said. But instead, readers need to pay more attention and do the job themselves.

"The answer to bad speech is not censorship, it's more speech calling out fake news," he said. "We need to spread the idea that critical thinking is important."

When asked what people could do to protect against government intrusion, Snowden said the only way was to get organized. He said he understood that someone working two jobs and running a family wouldn't have time, so he encouraged them to "invest" in the ACLU, EFF, or Human Rights Watch. ®

PS: On the subject of privacy and government, Google has published some redacted national security letters it has received from the FBI demanding personal information – such as names and addresses – associated with particular Google account holders.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/13 ... extradite/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Grizzly » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Putin might be giving Snowden over to trumpty dumbty

yep

Russia Considers Returning Snowden to U.S. to ‘Curry Favor’ With Trump: Official
by CYNTHIA MCFADDEN and WILLIAM ARKIN

U.S. intelligence has collected information that Russia is considering turning over Edward Snowden as a "gift" to President Donald Trump — who has called the NSA leaker a "spy" and a "traitor" who deserves to be executed.

That's according to a senior U.S. official who has analyzed a series of highly sensitive intelligence reports detailing Russian deliberations and who says a Snowden handover is one of various ploys to "curry favor" with Trump. A second source in the intelligence community confirms the intelligence about the Russian conversations and notes it has been gathered since the inauguration.

Image: American whistleblower Edward Snowden is seen on a screen as he delivers a speech during the Roskilde Festival in Roskilde
American whistleblower Edward Snowden is seen on a screen as he delivers a speech during the Roskilde Festival in Roskilde, Denmark, June 28 2016. Mathias Loevgreen Bojesen / Scanpix Denmark via Reuters
Snowden's ACLU lawyer, Ben Wizner, told NBC News they are unaware of any plans that would send him back to the United States.

"Team Snowden has received no such signals and has no new reason for concern," Wizner said.

Former deputy national security adviser Juan Zarate urged the Trump administration to be cautious in accepting any Snowden offer from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"For Russia, this would be a win-win. They've already extracted what they needed from Edward Snowden in terms of information and they've certainly used him to beat the United States over the head in terms of its surveillance and cyber activity," Zarate said.

"It would signal warmer relations and some desire for greater cooperation with the new administration, but it would also no doubt stoke controversies and cases in the U.S. around the role of surveillance, the role of the U.S. intelligence community, and the future of privacy and civil liberties in an American context.

"All of that would perhaps be music to the ears of Putin."

Image: (Left) Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Moscow State University in Moscow, Russia on Jan. 25. (Right) President Donald Trump in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 25.
(Left) Russian President Vladimir Putin at the Moscow State University in Moscow, Russia on Jan. 25. (Right) President Donald Trump in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 25. Alexey Nikolsky/Sputnik/Kremlin Pool via EPA and / Jonathan Ernst/Reuters
The White House had no comment, but the Justice Department told NBC News it would welcome the return of Snowden, who currently faces federal charges that carry a minimum of 30 years in prison. Putin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said talk about returning Snowden is "nonsense."

If he were returned to American soil, Snowden — a divisive figure in America who is seen by some as a hero and others as treasonous — would face an administration that has condemned him in the strongest terms.

"I think he's a total traitor and I would deal with him harshly," Trump said in July. "And if I were president, Putin would give him over." In October 2013, Trump tweeted: "Snowden is a spy who should be executed."

CIA Director Mike Pompeo has also called for Snowden to face American justice. "I think the proper outcome would be that he would be given a death sentence," Pompeo said last February.

Related: Congress Calls Edward Snowden a Liar in New Report

Snowden was working as a contractor at a National Security Agency facility in Hawaii when he began stealing top-secret documents that he gave to journalists in 2013, exposing details of U.S. domestic surveillance programs.

After Snowden fled to Hong Kong and was charged with violating the U.S. Espionage Act, he ended up in Russia. Moscow granted him refuge and officials say his residency permit was recently extended until 2020.

Related: Snowden's Lawyer Says He Can Apply for Russian Passport in a Year

In an interview streamed on Twitter in December, Snowden said being forced to return to the U.S. would be a human-rights violation but would also put to rest to accusations that he is a Russian spy.

"A lot of people have asked me: Is there going to be some kind of deal where Trump says, 'Hey look, give this guy to me as some kind of present'? Will I be sent back to the U.S., where I'll be facing a show trial?" Snowden said.

"Is this going to happen? I don't know. Could it happen? Sure. Am I worried about it? Not really, because here's the thing: I am very comfortable with the decisions that I've made. I know I did the right thing."

More than 1 million people signed a White House petition calling for then-President Obama to pardon Snowden. Snowden himself did not file an application and tweeted that Army leaker Chelsea Manning should get clemency ahead of him. Obama commuted Manning's sentence but took no action on Snowden.

Play Edward Snowden Makes Case for Pardon Facebook Twitter Google PlusEmbed
Edward Snowden Makes Case for Pardon 1:04
Snowden's Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, told the state-run news agency last month that his client would like to return to the United States — with no criminal charges hanging over his head.

"We hope very much that the new U.S. president would show some weighted approach to the issue and make the one and only correct decision — to stop prosecution against Edward Snowden," Kucherena said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rus ... al-n718921
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Wild’s tame retelling of Snowden saga

CHRIS BOYD
The Australian12:00AM May 15, 2018

In his first online conversation with constitutional lawyer turned blogger Glenn Greenwald, Edward Snowden revealed that his one fear was that his act of conscience might be received with apathy and indifference; that he had “unravelled his life and risked imprisonment for nothing”.

Mike Bartlett’s play Wild is considerable cause for despair, Snowden’s and ours. It’s a trivial play that treats the issues raised by Snowden’s revelations like poles in a slalom skiing comp: things to be avoided where possible or clipped, at the highest possible speed, and forgotten.

A young man — Snowden except in name, articulateness and intelligence — is holed up in a Russian hotel room after outing himself as the leaker of a vast trove of highly classified US documents. Moments before the curtain rises, he meets his host and guard, a representative of WikiLeaks.

She introduces herself as Miss Prism, Miss George Prism, a reference to the governess in The Importance of Being Earnest and to the US National Security Agency’s internet-hoovering surveillance program (PRISM), which “Andrew” (Nicholas Denton) has just informed the world about. (George, incidentally, was the name of the actress who played Miss Prism at St James’s Theatre in 1895, Mrs George Canninge.)

George fetes and courts the gormless whistleblower. He is to be “their man” in Moscow, she says. Andrew demurs. WikiLeaks, he reasons, needs his credibility more than he needs its patronage. Rather than trying to soothe the shell-shocked Andrew, George winds him up. “You are Trotsky in Mexico, John Lennon in New York, Kennedy in Texas … That’s the club you’re part of now.”

The estimable Anna Lise Phillips plays George as a clown Mata Hari. She eats up the stage like a cross between Ms Pacman and Norman Gunston. With little to work with, Denton plays Andrew as a paranoid catatonic.

The third player — also named George (Toby Schmitz) — looks as if he has been modelled on Colin Firth in the Kingsman franchise, a smarmy Mephistopheles in pinstripes. He, too, torments Andrew about identity and trust. Andrew is fated to live in a purgatory of doubt and mistrust.

Dean Bryant’s weightless production ends with a spectacular coup de theatre, the set showing a finer grasp of the issues at hand than the writing.

Is this what we are? What we have become in the West? More interest in the punishment of our martyrs — ghoulishly interested in their torture — than their example?
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/w ... 08a0deb4f8
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Belligerent Savant » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:35 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 pm wrote:
Rory » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:23 pm wrote:Isn't Snowden a blatant CIA asset, btw?

You are certainly not alone in thinking that; been my conclusion for awhile and little has nudged me to reconsider it.

Oliver "World Trade Center" Stone gifting him a hagiography is a strong indicator, too.

Listen to him during interviews. Nary a pause and/or "uhhhmmm". He's clearly a sharp mind, but also far too polished to be an inside asset turned impromptu* rogue whistle-blower. He was the star attraction at a TED conference via remote teleconference from his 'clandestine' location.‎ A documentary was filmed of him while in hiding from Intel agencies and broadcast on HBO. John Oliver interviewed him. He's accessible to media for myriad Q&A sessions -- from his 'undisclosed' location in Russia.

*impromptu, as in not groomed in advance. He's too type-cast and too well-spoken. Or perhaps it's simply a wild anomaly; he just happens to be very well-spoken AND telegenic in a tech-dork way.

But the one tell-tale sign that he's an asset:

HE'S STILL ALIVE.

AND given a continued platform to speak in front of cameras and/or in the press.

How anti-status quo is his message, really, when Bill and Melinda Gates are listening? I'd be interested in the small print in any 'final draft' policy inspired by Snowden's call for stronger 'encryption' methods and better oversight/watchdog groups to oversee internet traffic.

But I'm far too cynical to think clearly anymore -- don't mind this rambling.

This week at TED 2014 - The Next Chapter, the 30th anniversary of the conference series, Edward Snowden, Whistleblower, was invited to address the audience from Russia via the internet in a Q&A session Tuesday moderated by TED curator Chris Anderson, including a brief appearance by Tim Berners-Lee.

TED also offered the NSA equal time and later in the week was represented by Deputy Director of NSA Richard Ledgett, who appeared Thursday, also in a Q&A moderated by Anderson

Plenty of the usual TED celebrities like Bill & Melinda Gates, Larry Page and Charlie Rose appeared as well as some pleasant surprises such as Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly, Chris Kluwe and the juggling Raspyni Brothers.
Belligerent Savant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion