IS JOSEPH CAMPBELL AN ANTI-SEMITE?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: IS JOSEPH CAMPBELL AN ANTI-SEMITE?

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:42 pm

brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm wrote:Image

Bruce Dazzling wrote:
Brekin,
Can you cite actual Campbell quotes backing up your above assertions regarding his beliefs?
Apologies if they've already been posted, as I've arrived to this thread late in the game, but I'm always skeptical when I see characterizations of someone's beliefs as opposed to their actual words.

\<] Is this Burger King? Is it your way right away? How about you read the thread first before you make a request?
The whole thread is full of actual Campbell quotes backing up the assertions regarding his beliefs.

Fine, but I asked you for quotes backing up a small number of assertions that you made. Presumably, you knew where your backup was (his actual quotes) when you posted your assertions, and presumably, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you cite it, as opposed to me searching through 8 pages of data for it like the proverbial needles in the shitstorm.

brekin wrote:1. Early enthusiasm for the nazi regime
3. Saying the US should stay out of the war with Nazi Germany and Japan (even after pearl harbor and Campbell was no pacifist)
4. Saying that the moon would be good place for the Jews after the moon landing
5. During a seminar dismissing the Holocaust as someone elses problem because of his predator prey framework

Failing that, you could have been far more pleasant in your response to my reasonable request. Now I'm wondering if you responded the way you did because you're unable to provide the backup.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby compared2what? » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Jerky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm wrote:If the paltry evidence so far should be enough to banish Campbell's writings to the dustbin of history, then what should we do with the work of the following individuals?

I mean, Jerky. I have no idea why anyone would argue against saying that Henry Ford was an anti-semite, because (a) he was; and (b) it's a historically significant truth.

What we should do with his work (whatever that is -- the Model T? Voluntarily adequate compensation of the factory work force by the owner?) is a complete, total non-issue in those terms and always has been.

And even if it weren't, it wouldn't have any application to the same question wrt Campbell, to speak of.

So as far as I can tell****, you appear to be saying that accusations of anti-semitism are, a priori, all the same in some way that somehow both goes beyond the obvious and generally recommends against making them. On a universal basis. And I have zero clue how or why that works.

What's your point?

I also have no idea why you never see Edith Wharton's name on those lists. (Except that I do.) Stupid thing to say about her, imo. But if people are going to say it about Lovecraft, ffs, she meets the criteria. So it's sexist that she's not there.

****ON EDIT: Apologies. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I just don't understand what you're getting at.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:53 pm

really ....really ...Joseph Campbell sandwiched between David Icke and Hitler?

this is completely OTT.....crazy crap

and yea I'm pissed about it
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:
Fine, but I asked you for quotes backing up a small number of assertions that you made. Presumably, you knew where your backup was (his actual quotes) when you posted your assertions, and presumably, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you cite it, as opposed to me searching through 8 pages of data for it like the proverbial needles in the shitstorm.

Why should it be less trouble for me to scroll through 8 pages of data than you? When it is something you want?? I was referring to a list of things covered in the thread that people weren't addressing and I have to go back and provide links or copy and paste each one when I've already done so numerous times? The six or seven things I listed are spread across those 8 pages. (Really probably 4 pages if you minus slad's shrieking spamming.)

Failing that, you could have been far more pleasant in your response to my reasonable request. Now I'm wondering if you responded the way you did because you're unable to provide the backup.

Unbelievable, do you show up late to a lecture and expect a summary and review from the professor and students because you are late?? And when you don't get one dismiss the topic at hand? Dude, I'm not an extra in your movie.
You don't see how it can be inconsiderate to ask for evidence that has already been painfully provided and argued about for 8 pages because, um, I'd really like to be brought up to speed now?
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby compared2what? » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:26 pm

compared2what? » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:50 pm wrote:
I also have no idea why you never see Edith Wharton's name on those lists. (Except that I do.) Stupid thing to say about her, imo. But if people are going to say it about Lovecraft, ffs, she meets the criteria. So it's sexist that she's not there.

And Karl Marx.

I mean, Holy Mary, Mother of God (so to speak): To say that George Orwell was anti-Semitic is so devoid of meaningful truth that it's barely more sensible than inarticulate grunting.

At least Marx was a fairly straightforward, conventional 19th-century racial anti-Semite in his personal life. (Whose father was Jewish, who was pro-Jewish-emancipation, whose written work about Jews and Judaism was much more nuanced for the most part, who was categorically against religion anyway, and so on, in the usual, not-so-simple way.) So thinking about him in that light has some clear utility, in a stuff-people-thought-and-did-in-connection-with-Romantic-Nationalism-in-the-19th-century, perspective-enhancing kind of a way.

With Orwell, it's just semantics and cherry-picking, as far as I'm aware. Maybe reverse sexism, too, what the hell.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 pm

brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm wrote:
Bruce Dazzling wrote:Fine, but I asked you for quotes backing up a small number of assertions that you made. Presumably, you knew where your backup was (his actual quotes) when you posted your assertions, and presumably, it shouldn't be too much trouble for you cite it, as opposed to me searching through 8 pages of data for it like the proverbial needles in the shitstorm.

Why should it be less trouble for me to scroll through 8 pages of data than you? When it is something you want?? I was referring to a list of things covered in the thread that people weren't addressing and I have to go back and provide links or copy and paste each one when I've already done so numerous times? The six or seven things I listed are spread across those 8 pages. (Really probably 4 pages if you minus slad's shrieking spamming.)

I assumed it would be less trouble for you to provide citations than it would be for me to search through 8 pages of data because if I would have characterized another person's views, I would have done so expecting to have to back it up with the actual quotes, and if someone made such a request, I would have responded by citing the quotes, realizing that context is important.

And please back off of the attacks on slad. Referring to her as "shrieking" was completely uncalled for.

brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm wrote:
Bruce Dazzling wrote:Failing that, you could have been far more pleasant in your response to my reasonable request. Now I'm wondering if you responded the way you did because you're unable to provide the backup.

Unbelievable, do you show up late to a lecture and expect a summary and review from the professor and students because you are late?? And when you don't get one dismiss the topic at hand? Dude, I'm not an extra in your movie.
You don't see how it can be inconsiderate to ask for evidence that has already been painfully provided and argued about for 8 pages because, um, I'd really like to be brought up to speed now?

I do see how it's inconsiderate for you to have responded to a simple request in the dismissive way that you have. And you've done it multiple times now.

This is supposed to be a cooperative message board. I asked you for four citations (and apologized for putting you to the trouble) so that you could help me to understand your position, and instead of doing that, you've engaged in this combative behavior, which surely must be taking up more of your time and energy than simply providing the citations.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I really don't care about dissecting Campbell's letters from 1941 (or whenever they're from) to see if he ever uttered anything that could be construed as antisemitic. I mean, I'd prefer that he didn't because antisemitism sucks, but I'm not emotionally invested in proving this particular case one way or the other. I am interested in third-party characterizations of a person's views vs. their actual quotes, though, which is why I made my original request.

And here we are, 3+ hours (and lots of needless negative energy) later, and we've made no progress. This could have been so easy.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:
I assumed it would be less trouble for you to provide citations than it would be for me to search through 8 pages of data because if I would have characterized another person's views, I would have done so expecting to have to back it up with the actual quotes, and if someone made such a request, I would have responded by citing the quotes, realizing that context is important.

Oh, I see after providing the original quotes I need to repost them anytime some Johnny-Come-Lately wants them carted out again. How about that person do their due diligence first instead of asking someone who has provided the original content to do so again? Please recognize what you wanted is a request for already posted information, an unreasonable request, because you want someone to provide evidence again after they did so, just because you are too lazy to read. Maybe you have time to spend on here all day, but I don't, am I'm not going to spend it reposting for the unmotivated. (Or explaining my rationale for not doing so.)
And please back off of the attacks on slad. Referring to her as "shrieking" was completely uncalled for.

Wow, you really haven't read any of the thread have you? "Shrieking" is probably the most polite term for what she has posted. I think you need to read the thread and look at her posts which are full of personal attacks with profanity almost bordering on hate speech (F*ing cowards, asses, pos, etc)

I do see how it's inconsiderate for you to have responded to a simple request in the dismissive way that you have. And you've done it multiple times now.

Look, you wanted to be carried, I said no. I'm not going to feel bad for telling you to go read the thread. How long would it take you (the one who wants the info) to skim and find
the info I've provided? You've spent more time crying about me not running errands for you than reading the thread. I'm not going to spoonfeed you, and I'm not going to feel bad about it either.
You should of manned up when I said go read the thread and then we could of had a real conversation about the topic.
This is supposed to be a cooperative message board. I asked you for four citations (and apologized for putting you to the trouble) so that you could help me to understand your position, and instead of doing that, you've engaged in this combative behavior, which surely must be taking up more of your time and energy than simply providing the citations.

Look, I'm not here to convince you or persuade you. I'm providing information for those who haven't already made up their mind. What your asking for (to beat a very dead horse) is here for you already to find, really it what this whole (renamed) thread is about. Why can't you jump back to page 1 and start reading? Do you understand you are asking someone else to spend their time for you, because you don't feel like spending a few minutes reading what they have already spent more of their time finding??

I don't have a dog in this fight. I really don't care about dissecting Campbell's letters from 1941 (or whenever they're from) to see if he ever uttered anything that could be construed as antisemitic. I mean, I'd prefer that he didn't because antisemitism sucks, but I'm not emotionally invested in proving this particular case one way or the other. I am interested in third-party characterizations of a person's views vs. their actual quotes, though, which is why I made my original request.

So your what a tourist here? You want something = you go find it. Go look at what people have said Campbell said to them in conversation and seminars and stop with the special order requests. Why is your own learning of this topic being tied to me going to compile what I've already posted? Do you really need me to break down what I've posted for you? I usually intro quoted text and bold the important shit. Is that so hard to find?
And here we are, 3+ hours (and lots of needless negative energy) later, and we've made no progress. This could have been so easy.

Yes, so easy - for you!! Do you want me to grab a sandwich for you while I create the cliff notes version of this thread for you? Jesus Christ your sense of entitlement is amazing.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
brekin

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Well, now that my blood has cooled to room temperature I have to say to BruceDazzling that my delivery of the above could have been better.
I still think the content of everything I said stands. But apologies for being so rabid in the delivery.
brekin

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 pm

brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 pm wrote:Well, now that my blood has cooled to room temperature I have to say to BruceDazzling that my delivery of the above could have been better.
I still think the content of everything I said stands. But apologies for being so rabid in the delivery.

I've responded via PM.

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby brekin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:20 pm

I responded to your PM but it looks like it is sitting in my outbox saying Sent: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:17 pm, so maybe it will go it in two hours?
brekin

Postby compared2what? » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm wrote:
Jerky » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm wrote:If the paltry evidence so far should be enough to banish Campbell's writings to the dustbin of history,

I don't think it diminishes the value or power of his work one bit to acknowledge the fact there is ample evidence that he harbored some racist beliefs.

Agree, in theory. Because I'm not really on fluent enough terms with either the work or the evidence to know what I might think if I were.

FWIW, I've seen people use powerful stuff they'd gotten from his work in ways that were emotionally abusive towards themselves and others, once or twice. Twice, IIRC. But that's obviously not his fault. Or the work's. Some combinations of people and power are probably just bound to go that route wherever both occur, more like.

Not that pertinent, I guess. But maybe marginally. You never know.
compared2what?

Postby ShinShinKid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Reading through this, I really hope some levity will be appreciated:

Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby brekin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Here is another account from someone who worked with Campbell. I really don't see what agenda people would have in making up such accounts. I mean there could be one, but what is it? Hero Journey haters?

And most of the personal accounts smack of conversational verisimilitude. I mean if you are going to make up derogatory remarks about someone how creative would you have to be to to pull in the lunar landing? And the below exchange seems remarkable for how ordinary it is. No frothing just everyday ordinary racism.

Joseph Campbell Mixed Bigotry and Inspiration; His Anti-Semitism
Published: December 02, 1989
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/02/opini ... 60789.html
To the Editor: I am deeply grateful to Brendan Gill for detailing in public what many of us at Sarah Lawrence College privately knew all along about Joseph Campbell. Because Campbell has been proposed as a sage for our times, it is particularly important for those of us who have a different estimate of the man and his work to speak up. Mr. Gill's account of Campbell's scholarship, his politics and his views seems to me accurate. I offer a single anecdote from my experience by way of verifying his anti-Semitism.

I joined the literature faculty at Sarah Lawrence in 1968. With other younger faculty members, I was strongly opposed to the war in Vietnam, and I considered myself - as I do today - to be on the left. Campbell tended to keep his distance from this group, whose values he more or less correctly perceived - and disliked.

It was my good or ill fortune, however, to find that Campbell was disposed to be friendly to me. One reason for this was that I had, in 1967, completed a doctoral dissertation that, he had been told, made substantial use (I am embarrassed to confess it) of his book ''The Hero With a Thousand Faces.'' But I think Campbell was also disposed to be friendly to me because, in those days, I usually wore a coat and tie to teach, and this was not the costume he associated with leftists and war protesters; and because, when we happened to meet at some faculty function, I usually had a drink in my hand, and he had the notion that leftists and war protesters had sworn off alcohol for the relentless consumption of marijuana.

At one faculty function, in 1969 or '70, I found myself drinking with Campbell and another, older, equally right-wing teacher. At some point in the evening, Campbell, responding to a remark I can't recall, said something to the effect that he could always spot a Jew. I, a Jew, said, ''Oh?'' Whereupon Campbell went into a description of how the New York Athletic Club had ingeniously managed for years to keep Jews out. He went on and on, telling his story in the most charming and amiable fashion, without any self-consciousness about the views he was expressing and, indeed, without any overt animus - for all that he obviously relished the notion of keeping Jews out of anywhere any time, forever. As soon as I could, I said goodnight, and Campbell and I never had much to do with each other again.

Subsequently, in my many years at Sarah Lawrence, I heard over and over again that Campbell was contemptuous of women and that he missed few opportunities to disparage black people.

As in the similar case of Ezra Pound - an infinitely more talented man than Joseph Campbell - we cannot entirely separate the views of the individual from the views expressed in his texts. And some of Joseph Campbell's views were decidedly repugnant. ARNOLD KRUPAT Bronxville, N.Y., Nov. 8, 1989
brekin

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 pm

^^^^ TWO YEARS AFTER HE DIED....NOT ONE WORD BEFORE CAMPBELL TOOK HIS LAST BREATH AND COULD NOT DEFEND HIMSELF....FUCKING GOSSIP THAT'S ALL IT IS FUCKING GOSSIP PLAIN AND SIMPLE

no anti-semitism here
Joseph Campbell
January 23, 2011 by Bill
There is one man who profoundly changed my life… who opened my eyes and my brain/mind/spirit to a new world of scholarship and the mystery of the human spirit. That person was a man who became my dear friend, Joseph Campbell, the pre-eminent scholar in the history of religions and comparative mythologies.
Campbell changed many people’s lives. Mickey Hart, the drummer for the Grateful Dead, said it was because of Campbell that he became a leading scholar on the history of percussion. George Lucas said his “Star Wars” theme was due to the insights of Joseph Campbell.
My friendship with Campbell began when I spent three weeks with him one glorious summer in the Montana mountains. He lectured about 5 hours a day to the 30 of us who had been selected for the seminar. The rest there were all artists and university professors. His wife, Jean Erdman, the lead dancer for Martha Graham, had grown up in the home of her father, a Congregational minister. That may have been the bond that drew us together, as, at the time, I was a Congregational minister of the large downtown church in Tacoma, Washington while at the same time lecturing at the University of Puget Sound.
I remember vividly the day that changed my life, my thought, and the direction of my studies. It was a Sunday morning, one of those most glorious days, in the “Moon When the Ponies Shed,” as the Lakota call it. We were at 7,000 feet. The sky was an intense blue, undimmed by haze or smog. It was “like wine” as they say. Aspen leaves were quaking. Walking on such a day in such companionship is a spiritual experience, when in silence, or soft talk, you feel, smell… hear… see… touch and taste, everywhere, the Mystery. To move toward the Mystery of our being we must allow our spirit to soar and fly in the timeless, spaceless quest for the holy, the sacred. Throughout history, that quest has been described many different ways in the myths of humankind.
That morning, Campbell nailed it down in my mind forever. He said: “A LIVING mythology always points toward the Mystery, whereas an ARTIFICIALLY RETAINED mythology always points only to the support of an institution.” Artificially retained mythologies would be the Apostles and Nicene Creeds recited by millions every Sunday, like parrots in church. A LIVING mythology would be the creations of the American Indian with their weaving… pottery… baskets… while working their sacred symbols into their objects.
Campbell, of course, brought out the fact that many mythological themes are UNIVERSAL. Virgin birth… the flood… resurrected hero… “heaven” concepts… a sacred meal, or “ritualistic cannibalism”, where the leader is eaten in order to share in his “divinity.” These themes are everywhere and are organized and ritualized according to local needs. Misunderstanding consists in reading mythological spiritual symbols as though they were references to historical, factual events.
As Campbell often said: “the vast majority of the clergy do not even understand their own material.”
At the end of the seminar I was chosen by the group to present him with his thank you gift: four bottles of expensive Scotch whiskey. His wife gave us the clue as to the gift.
Personal observations: He refused to “waste time” as he put it, getting a PhD. He was easily the most intellectually brilliant person I have ever heard lecture. He was a very warm person. He had a radiance and a quality of peace, harmony and wholeness, a centeredness that I have known in few other people. He and I communicated until the time of his death, in Hawaii. I treasure all of his personal letters. Perhaps we have lost that precious art of writing letters with the advent of digital e-mail??
The Magazine section of the New York Times honored his place among the giants of the world. His picture was on the cover with an article on the fact that the term “comparative religions” has become archaic. “Comparative mythologies” is the only valid term after Joseph Campbell. Under his picture, they said this: “Joseph Campbell, the world’s pre-eminent scholar of comparative mythologies.”
He gave me my direction on one morning walk. “Bill, just keep pointing people TOWARD THE MYSTERY.

no anti-semitism here

Defending Joseph Campbell
A friend of mine asked me to explain to him why Joseph Campbell is my guru. It was an interesting conversation. My friend has never read Campbell, but he has heard me describe the impact that Campbell’s work has had on my life. My friend was thinking along the lines of self-help authors like Stephen Covey.

I explained that Joseph Campbell wasn’t really setting out to help anyone that way. He was merely a scholar, a man who devoted his life to researching the things that pleased him most to think about. This is what I admire best about Joseph Campbell. That it turns out that he and I found joy in the same topics is just a blessing beyond measure. He is definitely a kindred spirit.

What I ultimately shared with my friend was the story of my life at the time I discovered Campbell’s work. I was very much a church going Bible believer of the most literal sort and I had no real grasp of the concept of metaphor. Sometimes I think it is difficult for any devout Christian to truly grasp and appreciate metaphor.

I was introduced to Joseph Campbell in a college literature course about the Grail Legends. Joseph Campbell is an authority on the Arthurian legends, something I have loved almost my entire life.

It was in listening to Joseph Campbell lectures that I discovered that essentially everything is metaphor. All we have are symbols and stories to give meaning to our existence. Everything, even our lives, is metaphor for the fundamental truths of the universe. We are merely reflections of something much greater than ourselves. I believe that we each incarnate to create a mythology out of the life we have been given. And the great thing about this mythology we create is that we get to be the hero in the story. We don’t have to be the victim in our own life story. We are the ones writing it.

What Joseph Campbell did for me was give me another way of looking at God. It was not long after studying his work that I quit thinking about God as an entity separate from myself. And I will tell you this, that one discovery has brought more joy into my life that any other thing I have figured out.

So, while I understand my friend’s skepticism if he was equating Joseph Campbell with Stephen Covey, in my mind the two are incomparable. Stephen Covey offers people helpful hints to be a more financially successful person, Joseph Campbell offers people the keys that unlock the mysteries of the universe.

It is my opinion that you can’t read Joseph Campbell’s work without becoming a little smarter.

come and cellibrate the anti-semite with us

Joseph Campbell: Nature, Myth & Art

April 18 – May 31

Closing Night Reception
Friday, May 31, 5-7pm
Carl Cherry Center, Carmel

Joseph Campbell (1904-1987) was an American author, editor, and teacher whose work on comparative mythology and folklore examined the universality of recurring myths in human culture. While living on the Monterey Peninsula in early 1930, Campbell spent much time with Ed Ricketts, who greatly influenced his philosophy of myth. Campbell found that myth awakens a sense of awe before the mystery of being, explains the shape of the universe, validates the existing social order, and guides us through the stages of life.

» Schedule of Events

Join us from April 18-May 31 as we delve into Campbell’s world of myth in a series of programs that will be held on the Monterey Peninsula. In partnership with the Joseph Campbell Foundation, Opus Archives & Research Center, and the Carl Cherry Center for the Arts, we will explore timeless and timely myths through art exhibits, panel discussions, films, salon style dinners, lectures, performances and more.

Myth is the secret opening through which the inexhaustible energies of the cosmos pour into human cultural manifestation.– Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Sponsor & Donate

We appreciate financial support to make this series of events a success. Celadon Arts is a 501©3. All donations are tax deductible.

Recommended Reading

The Power of Myth, Joseph Campbell
The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Joseph Campbell
Historical Atlas of World Mythology, Joseph Campbell
Pathways to Bliss, Joseph Campbell
The Inner Reaches of Outer Space: Metaphor as Myth and as Religion, Joseph Campbell

Partners

Joseph Campbell Foundation

The Joseph Campbell Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization that was formed to (1) Preserve, protect, and perpetuate the work of Joseph Campbell, (2) further his pioneering work in mythology and comparative religion and (3) help individuals enrich their lives by participating in Mythological Round Tables and various related activities that the foundation undertakes. Joseph Campbell is a trademark and service mark of the Joseph Campbell Foundation in the United States and other countries. http://www.jcf.org

Opus Archives & Research Center

Opus Archives & Research Center is a 501(c)3 organization that holds the manuscript collections and libraries of eminent scholars in the fields of mythology and depth psychology. The Joseph Campbell collection and library was the first to come Opus, eight other legacies have followed through the years. The mission of Opus Archives and Research Center is to preserve, develop and extend to the world the archival collections and libraries of eminent scholars in the fields of depth psychology, mythology and the humanities. Opus is a “living archive” and offers scholarships, research grants, educational programs, community events, and research access to the collections, both physically and digitally. http://www.opusarchives.org.

Carl Cherry Center for the Arts

The Cherry Center mission is to enhance the quality and diversity of artistic, educational, and cultural programs in Monterey County by encouraging public programs and interactions between artists and the community. The Cherry Center’s artistic purpose is to present arts and theater that are timely, engaging, and cast light on contemporary issues, both aesthetic and intellectual.

Throughout the inhabited world, in all times and under every circumstance, the myths of man have flourished; and they have been the living inspiration of whatever else may have appeared out of the activities of the human body and mind. It would not be too much to say that myth is the secret opening through which the inexhaustible energies of the cosmos pour into human cultural manifestation. Religions, philosophies, arts, the social forms of primitive and historic man, prime discoveries in science and technology, the very dreams that blister sleep, boil up from the basic, magic ring of myth. http://www.carlcherrycenter.org

— Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces

no anti-semitism here

Joseph Campbell - Permanent Human Values
By Robert Baird

At the start of the US involvement in WWII Joseph Campbell was put in the position of having to defend culture and truth rather than go along with the crazed nationalism and outright invasion of so many public institutions through all manner of propaganda. He ended up being accused of being a Nazi by many who should have known better. The Bollingen Foundation was backed by Mellon family money and it sought to establish an integrative disciplinary approach including the mystical precepts of Mircae Eliade and Carl Jung. It was a truly good effort that still brings culture and Brotherhood values through the many books they published. Their efforts at Eranos deserve close attention for any scholar seeking to understand the positive side of the old-money families or elites. I wonder if the Elite sometimes do demonstrate a beneficent paternalism when I see these good efforts. The speech that follows stands as true or truer today, than when he gave it to the ladies at Sarah Lawrence College, where he was a professor.

"Permanent Human Values

I have been asked to tell you what seem to me to be some of the important things--permanently human--which men are likely to forget during hours of a severe political crisis.

Permanent things, of course, do not have to be fought for--they are permanent. We are not their creators and defenders. Rather--it is our privilege (our privilege as individuals: our privilege as nations) to experience them. And it is our private loss if we neglect them. We may fight for our right to experience these values. But the fight must not be conducted on a public battlefield. This fight must be conducted in the individual mind. Public conquerors are frequently the losers in this secret struggle.

Permanent things, furthermore, are not possessed exclusively by the democracies; not exclusively even by the Western world.

My theme, therefore, forbids me to be partial to the war-cries of the day. I respect my theme, and I shall try to do it justice. I am not competent to speak of every permanent human value. I shall confine myself, therefore, to those which have been my special disciplinarians: those associated with the Way of Knowledge.

Which of these are likely to be forgotten during the hours of a severe political crisis? All of them, I should say. I think that everything which does not serve the most immediate economic and political ends is likely to be forgotten.

I think, in the first place, that the critical objectivity of the student of society is likely to be forgotten--either forgotten or suppressed. For example: The president of Columbia University has declared that the present conflict is a war 'between beasts and human beings, between brutal force and kindly helpfulness,' Yet Columbia professors laboriously taught, during the twenties and thirties something about the duties of objective intelligence in the face of sensational propaganda: and no educated gentleman can possibly believe that the British Empire or the French Empire or the American Empire was unselfishly founded in 'kindly helpfulness.' without gunpowder or without perfectly obscene brutality.

It is not surprising, of course, that there should be a strain of opportunism in those public gentlemen who are in a position to tell the multitude what to think; but that our universities--those institutions which have plumed themselves in their dignified objectivity--should begin now to fling about the gutter-slogans of our newspaper cartoons, seems to be a calamity of the first order.

Perhaps our students must prepare themselves to remember (without any support for our institutions of higher learning) that there are two sides to every argument, that every government since governments began, has claimed to represent the special blessings of the heavenly realm, that every man (even an enemy) is human, and that no empire (not even a merchant empire) is founded on 'kindly helpfulness.'

When there was no crisis on the horizon, we were told that objectivity was a good. Now that something seems to threaten our markets--or to threaten perhaps even more than that--we are warned (and this by still another of our university presidents) that the real fifth-columnist in this country is the critical intellectual. What kind of leaders are these men, anyhow?--snorting through one nostril about the book-burnings in Germany, wheezing through the other at critical intelligences in our own Republic?

In the second place we are in danger of neglecting the apparently useless work of the disinterested scientist and historian. Yet if there is one jewel in the crown of Western Civilization which deserves to take a place beside the finest jewels of Asia, it is the jewel cut by these extraordinary men. Their images of the cosmos and of the course of earthly history are as majestic as the Oriental theories of involution and evolution. But these images are by no means the exclusive creation, or even property, of democracies. Many of the indispensable works which you must read, if you are to participate in the study of these images, have not even been translated into democratic tongues. Let me say, therefore, that any serious student of history or science who permits the passions of this hour to turn her away from German is a fool.

Whatever may be the language for hemisphere defense, German, French and English are the languages of scholarship and science. (Biblio: At Sarah Lawrence, as at many schools and universities, German and Italian were being eliminated from the curriculum, as if somehow the boycott of the language would enforce some kind of sanction on the country or its political leaders. It was probably this practice Campbell was decrying.) German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Scandinavian, English, Irish, Polish, Russian, Swiss, Christian, Pagan, Atheist, and Jewish have been the workers in these spheres. Chauvinism has no place here. The work is international and human. Consequently, whenever there is a resurgence of the nationalisms and animalisms of war, scientist and scholar have to cork themselves tightly in. They are not anti-social parasites and slackers when they do this. It is with them that Western Culture, as opposed to Western Empire, will survive.

In the third place, the work of the literary man and the artist is in danger. We need not worry about the popular entertainer: he will be more in demand than ever. But we may worry about the artists of social satire: theirs will be a plight very like the plight of the objective social scientist. And we may worry about the creative writers, painters, sculptors, and musicians devoted to the disciplines of pure art. The philistine (that is to say the man without hunger for poetry and art) will never understand the importance of these enthusiasts. But those of you whose way of personal discipline and discovery is the way of the arts will understand that if you are to keep in touch with your own centers of energy, you must not allow yourself to be tricked into believing that social criticism is proper art, or that sensational entertainment is proper art, or that journalistic realism is proper art. You must not give up your self-exploration in your own terms. The politicians are such a blatant crew and their causes are so obvious that it is exceedingly difficult to remember, when they surround you, anything but the surfaces of life....

The artist--in so far as he is an artist--looks at the world dispassionately: without thought of defending his ego or his friends; without thought of undoing any enemy; troubled neither with desire or loathing. He is as dispassionate as the scientist, but he is looking not for the causes of effects, he is simply looking--sinking his eye into the object. To his eye this object permanently reveals the fascination of a hidden name or essential form...

Now this perfectly well-known crisis, which transports a beholder beyond desire and loathing, is the first step not only to art, but to humanity. And it is the artist who is its hero. It cannot be said, therefore, that the artist is finally anti-social, even though from an economic point of view his work may be superfluous; even though he may seem to be sitting pretty much alone.

In the fourth place, the preaching of religion is in danger. God is the first fortress that a warlike nation must capture, and the ministers of religion are always, always, always ready to deliver God into the hands of their king or their president. We hear of it already--this arm-in-arm blood brotherhood of democracy and Christianity...

And how quick the ministers of religion are to judge the soul of the enemy; when the founder of their faith is reputed to have said: 'Judge not, that you may never be judged.' How quick they are to point at the splinter in the enemy eye, before they have looked for the plank that sticks in their own! 'Give to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's,' is not the phrase for a political emergency. 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' is not the phrase for a political emergency... And perhaps it would be well to remember that even the inhabitants of the democracies were born with original sin on their souls: and that not even the President of the United States has any objective assurance that he is the vicar of Christ on earth.

We are all groping in this valley of tears, and if a Mr. Hitler collides with a Mr. Churchill, we are not in conscience bound to believe that a devil had collided with a saint (Biblio: This phrase was quoted out of context, with a predictably horrifying impact on modern sensibilities, in the New York Times article of 1989 on Campbell's alleged bigotry.)--Keep those transcendent terms out of your political thinking--do not donate the things of God to Caesar--and you will go a long way toward keeping a sane head.

I believe, finally, that education is going to suffer during the next few years, as it did during the last war. You will be tempted to forget that you are educating yourselves to be women: you will imagine that you are educating yourselves to be patriots. Primarily you are human beings; secondarily you are members of a certain social class. Primarily you are human beings; secondarily you are daughters of the present century. If you devote yourselves exclusively, or even primarily, to peculiarities of the local scene and the present moment, you will wonder, fifteen years from now, what you did with your education...

I would not say that the Way of Knowledge is the only way to human fulfillment: but it is a majestic way; it is a way represented by the innumerable sciences, arts, philosophical and theological systems of mankind. The final danger is not (let me repeat this emphatically in closing), the final danger is not that mankind may lose these things (for, if Europe and America were to be blown away entirely, there would remain millions and millions of subtly disciplined human beings--who might even feel relieved to see us go!). The great danger is that you--unique you--may be tricked into missing your education." (4)

I am such a fan of Mr. Campbell and there are so many things of his which I quote in different books that some think I am nuts about him. The facts he presents have been added to in the archaeological and linguistic or anthropological, so I really end up quoting more of his pure spiritual ecumenicism thoughts. But when a potential editor from my alma mater who had 14 years post secondary education and had been a professor commented about Campbell being a Nazi sympathizer - I lost interest in him. He also was stupid enough to suggest the Pyramids had nothing unknown to academia - RIGHT!!

Columnist for The ES Press
World-Mysteries.com guest writer
Author of Diverse Druids

no anti-semitism here

Pueblo Aftican American Concern Organization

no anti-semitism here

“Follow your bliss”? Parsing Joseph Campbell’s famous advice
August 27, 2012
By David Yamada
in career planning, education and learning, lifespan issues, work-life balance

I recently began delving into the works of Joseph Campbell (1904-87), whose writings and lectures on mythology, faith traditions, and the world’s societies made him a singular authority on the human experience. Campbell first appeared on the radar screens of many people via a PBS series of televised interviews with Bill Moyers — “The Power of Myth” — that first aired in 1988.

Campbell’s intellectual depth and breadth were remarkable. His work mixed academic disciplines, especially literature, theology, history, anthropology, and psychology, in examining the stories and myths that create surprising commonalities among our different cultures. Even though he was a professor for many years at Sarah Lawrence College in New York, he connected the dots in ways that few people residing in the silos of academe ever manage.

Follow your bliss
Campbell’s most famous advice, repeated on many occasions, was follow your bliss. He suggested that following our bliss will lead us to the life paths that have been awaiting us. When we reach this point, opportunities and connections seem to materialize. In the PBS series, Campbell replies to a Moyers question about whether “hidden hands” guide and facilitate our work once we’ve found our path:

All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as the result of invisible hands coming all the time — namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open doors to you. . . .

Getting real

As an educator, Campbell’s advice is music to my ears. Throughout my career as a law professor and lawyer, I’ve encouraged law students to discover and pursue their passions. After all, the most satisfied lawyers are those whose work engages them, and I want my students to discover their true vocations.

And yet, I realize that follow your bliss can disintegrate easily into the most banal forms of encouragement. Joseph Campbell was not a superficial person, but his signature line is tailor made for every soon-to-be-forgotten commencement speech, from junior high to graduate school.

Furthermore, let’s acknowledge that many of us who might encourage others to follow their bliss are among those for whom that philosophy has more or less worked. In the meantime, there are other folks who have tried to follow Campbell’s advice and encountered frustration and disappointment, despite their best efforts.

Indeed, one of the myths generated by an ever-growing pile of self-help books and seminars is that if you just work hard enough at it, you can realize all your dreams. Campbell easily can be misread to suggest that. And nowadays, with the success of books such as The Secret, that message has devolved to suggest that if you simply wish for something to come true, it will.

Finally, remember what psychologist Abraham Maslow said about how basic survival needs must be met before we’re able to strive toward reaching our full human potential? Let’s understand that for those who are struggling mightily just to put food on the table and to keep a roof over their heads, these higher level aspirations may appear as far away as the moon.

Still…still…

Nevertheless, following one’s bliss remains a worthy objective and philosophy, whether for a young person just graduating from high school, an adult recovering from a personal setback, or a retiree who feels there is some unfinished good business before her. This is what fills our lives with hope, zest, and maybe even joy, right?

And if the idea of discovering and following one’s path in life resonates with you, perhaps you’ll benefit by taking a deeper look at Campbell’s work.

But be advised that you have to be open to this stuff, and on this point I speak from personal experience. Ten years ago I would’ve unfairly dismissed Campbell’s observations about mythology, legends, and stories as a lot of babble, but today I welcome his worldly insights. I’m especially appreciative that he brings these insights to the level of helping us understand our places on this planet. This is no small gift for anyone who is trying to create a more meaningful life.

To learn more

“The Power of Myth” PBS series, featuring Joseph Campbell being interviewed by Bill Moyers, is probably the best introduction to Campbell and his work.

The Joseph Campbell Foundation is an excellent source of information and offers free registration. This extended bio of Campbell is a nice complement to the PBS series.

Hat tip to career coach and consultant Terry Del Percio for urging me, during the course of a Facebook exchange, to finally break open and watch “The Power of Myth” DVDs that I had purchased months ago.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Lord Balto » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:42 pm

I never really liked Campbell, not because of any antisemitism [perfunctory nod to relevancy], but because he suffers from the disease rampant among such folks of confusing the mythologizing of real events with pure myth. Zeus, for example, the template for the myths of such characters as Jesus/Yeshu, Mithra, and even Amenhotep III, appears, from my research into the subject, to have been a real king of Lower Egypt before Menes/Minos/Manu marched north and either imprisoned or murdered him.
Lord Balto

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion