CISA Passes Senate

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/e ... ses-senate
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Google Eats the World

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Nice that the chameleon decided to reveal its true name and nature, Alphabet.

The one and only Alphabet corporation just absorbed all the other alphabet agencies.
Iamwhomiam

Postby backtoiam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 am

If there are any youtube videos that you really want you better start grabbing. Starting now, they will slowly disappear. Ad policy changed and they are going to start stripping videos daily.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:25 am

backtoiam » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:36 pm wrote:If there are any youtube videos that you really want you better start grabbing. Starting now, they will slowly disappear. Ad policy changed and they are going to start stripping videos daily.

Do you have any more information, or a link, about that?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby backtoiam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:35 am

elvis i read several things about it over the last few days. let me look because i don't remember right now where i read it. it will be slow burn. stuff won't suddenly disappear overnight but it has already started happening. its called youtube red. basically, in a nutshell, content providers have a new contract. youtube has always had a "contract" even though i don't think anybody has actually ever seen one. its an ad revenue change, but mainly a trojan horse, to start clipping "problematic" content. you know how trojan horses work, slow and effective like a fabian turtle. how fast will content disappear? i have no idea, but the process has begun.

and with the TPP trade agreement, we can probably eventually kiss this little guilty pleasure of ours goodbye eventually, which will break my heart. it would be like the death of a family member for me to lose this place. copyright laws are going to eventually kick us all out of here. we need to figure that out somehow, or as i would rather say...

"figure the answers in"

after they get rabid with TPP, they could turn the lights out on us overnight someday simply because the database will become "illegal", if you get my drift

and while we are on the subject i will just say this right now. i will hand the wombat, or jeff, or whoever, a thousand bux, if some other people will also do it, to build us a fallout shelter.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:15 am

It's called extortion. Maybe time to collectively fire up the old Internet wild west RealPlayer daze again. We pay enough as it is and they need to figure it out amongst themselves. I'm sure a portion of their revenue comes out of contracts with ISPs. I'll just torrent shit (which I don't really do all that much).

How far fetched is it that a simple search will cost you a certain sum in order to get a result in the future? Wire centers and data centers were not built because "hell, we got no money but let's just do it anyway". . .

I pay Google through my phone contract for instance (Google Play). Every month a good $150 is extracted from my cell/data account. I don't "demand" shit as I didn't ask to be born, but they offered something for seemingly free and became one of the biggest companies in history. How many times have we logged in and saw the GOOGLE BOT was logged in as well here?

Oh and while I'm at it and I use your Internet searching services GOOG as I would use the "dumb" phone. Go fuck yourselves. I'm already paying it in triplicate. Phone, routers in two joints. Yes, we get it, you are powerful and have a shit ton of technology that makes our lives easier, but no I won't be paying you because I, we already have.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby backtoiam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:30 am

I don't know 82 i'm not a techno wizard. Im the last person that needs to be in charge of building a server fallout shelter. I'm just saying up front that if this database gets hit we are history. Its that simple. I'm willing to chip in if some other people will to build us a system so that we can hang out. Eventually, and I could be wrong, this database will become "problematic." I don't see it happening in the next few days, but eventually? oh yeah....

Cutting the nut off repositories of information and sending it in the memory hole is high priority. This database is a goldmine. It qualifies. Eventually, they will start cutting the nuts out of databases because of copyright law. You can take that to the bank.
backtoiam

Postby zangtang » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:51 am

encapsulate the whole goldmine & distribute it a thousandfold over (under?) the Darktor gangsterweb?

I can't afford a thousand till my boat comes in but er...yes count me in.
zangtang

Postby DrEvil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:48 pm

backtoiam » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:36 am wrote:If there are any youtube videos that you really want you better start grabbing. Starting now, they will slowly disappear. Ad policy changed and they are going to start stripping videos daily.

They won't disappear, but people who don't sign the new user agreement will have their videos set to private. It's all tied in to Youtube's new paid service Youtube Red (yes, that's really what it's called :) ).
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 am

It's so stupid, nobody is going to pay ten bucks a month for YouTube.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby backtoiam » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:49 am

It's so stupid, nobody is going to pay ten bucks a month for YouTube.

Nordic you just hit the nail exactly on the head. This is not about revenue. This is about control. Control comes with ambiguous terminology. Meaning, we they will do whatever the hell they want to.

Rabbits run fast and get noticed. Turtles move slow and win the race because nobody sees a turtle and it gets to its destination. Slowly, ever so slowly, they will clip content they don't like.

Anybody that does not like it? Well thats just too damn bad. Within this process, the ignorant will never truly understand why the previously available content is no longer available.

They don't care about the money. They print that. They have plenty. I'm surprised it has taken this long for content clipping to happen. But this is the way it works. They do not like to spook the herd.

Spooking the herd makes the herd notice, and they hate that. This causes them to have to kill some herd animals, which of course further spooks the herd.

They hate stampedes, because they cannot withstand that, without blowing up the whole apparatus. And so it is.

And, when you are in total control anyway, why spook the herd anyway? Unless you just feel like a killing spree.
backtoiam

Postby Elvis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:21 pm

Instead of bitching about YouTube, perhaps someone should just create a new video posting site? Others exist, of course, but maybe this one would emphasize user control and "user experience" etc. Maybe it would be a not-for-profit cooperative. Maybe its charter could prohibit its sale. And don't call it anything "____Tube" ("freetube" is taken anyway).

I mention this because, years ago before YouTube, I asked a computer-savvy friend if there was a website where you could post/host videos. Nope, no site like that, they told me. So I said, well goddammit let's MAKE one! I didn't know how to do it, but they did. Their response was a yawn, "eh, don't really see a point to it or a future in it."

Of course not long after that, YouTube came along.

Recently, one of the guys admitted to me, "yeah, I guess we should have listened to your 'youtube' idea..." :wallhead:

(Add that to the list of ideas I suggested to these guys in the early days of home computing, e.g. computer image 'morphing' -- "cute idea but can't really see a profitable application" -- and of course a few years later, 'morphing' was the hot thing in every new sci-fi movie.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Elvis:
I mention this because, years ago before YouTube, I asked a computer-savvy friend if there was a website where you could post/host videos. Nope, no site like that, they told me. So I said, well goddammit let's MAKE one! I didn't know how to do it, but they did. Their response was a yawn, "eh, don't really see a point to it or a future in it."

Sorry Elvis - I'm being mischevious here, but aren't you actually saying, in a round-about way:

I had this fantastic idea for a web site, that would have consequently made me a billionaire - but because my friend who could do that sort of thing didn't think it was a good enough idea to bother with, I gave up.

:rofl2

Sorry mate :hug1:
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Now Google wants to decide if you're mentally ill or not. Your phone may one day have you institutionalized.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... -mind.html

Google wants to monitor your mental health. You should welcome it into your mind

The use of technology to track and treat mental illness is deeply worrying but sadly necessary

Next week, Dr Tom Insel leaves his post as head of the US National Institute of Mental Health, a job that made him America’s top mental health doctor. Dr Insel is a neuroscientist and a psychiatrist and a leading authority on both the medicine and public policies needed to deal with problems of the mind. He’s 64 but he’s not retiring. He’s going to work for Google.

More precisely, he’s going to work for Google Life Sciences, one of the more exotic provinces of the online empire. He’s going to investigate how technology can help diagnose and treat mental health conditions. Google doesn’t just want to read your mind, it wants to fix it too.

It’s not alone. Apple, IBM and Intel are among technology companies exploring the same field. IBM this year carried out research with Columbia University that suggested computer analysis of speech patterns can more accurately predict the onset of psychosis than conventional tests involving blood samples or brain scans. Other researchers theorise that a person’s internet search history or even shopping habits (so handily recorded by your innocuous loyalty card) can identify the first signs of mental illness. Computers can now tell when something is about to go terribly wrong in someone’s mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We now live in a world where your phone might observe you to help assess your mental health."
That development is striking enough in itself, but the way in which researchers like Dr Insel want to use this new technological power raises even more questions.

Wearable technology has been a hot topic in medical innovation for several years now. A growing number of people choose to track their own physical condition using FitBits, Jawbones and other activity trackers, tiny wearable devices that monitor your movements, pulse rate, sleep patterns and more. Once the preserve of obsessive fitness fanatics, “self-monitoring” has the scope to transform healthcare. The ever-increasing number of people with chronic conditions can track and electronically report their symptoms, reducing the number of routine (and expensive) consultations they need with medical staff and ensuring a quicker response to changes that do require direct professional attention.

Self-monitoring will also surely play a bigger role in preventive public health. Wearing a pedometer that counts the number of steps you take in a day has been shown to spur people to walk more. What would happen to your consumption of alcohol and sugar if a device strapped to your wrist displayed a continuous count of your calorie and unit intake for the week?

Dr Insel is part of a school of thought that suggests this technology is even better suited to mental health. The symptoms of depression, for instance, are inconstant, ebbing and rising without obvious pattern. A short consultation with a doctor once every few weeks is thus a poor means of diagnosis. But wearable technology allows continuous monitoring. A small portable device might monitor your tone of voice, speech patterns and physical movements, picking up the early signs of trouble. A device such as a mobile telephone.

Yes, we now live in a world where your phone might observe you to help assess your mental health. If you don’t find that prospect disturbing, you’re either fantastically trusting of companies and governments or you haven’t thought about it enough.

But that feeling of unease should not determine our response to technology in mental health. In fact, we should embrace and encourage the tech giants as they seek to chart the mind and its frailties, albeit on the condition that we can overcome the enormous challenge of devising rules and regulations protecting privacy and consent.

Because, simply, existing healthcare systems are failing and will continue to fail on mental health. Even if the current model of funding the NHS was sustainable, the stigma that prevents us discussing mental health problems would ensure their prevention and treatment got a disproportionately small slice of the pie.

We pour ever more billions into dealing with the worst problems of physical health, and with considerable success. Death rates from cancer and heart disease have fallen markedly over the last 40 years. Over the same period, suicide rates have gone up.

Even as the NHS budget grows, NHS trusts’ spending on mental health is falling. If someone with cancer went untreated, we’d say it was a scandal. Some estimates suggest one in five people who need “talking therapies” don’t get them. In a rare bit of enlightened thinking, some NHS trusts are supporting Big White Wall, an online service where people can anonymously report stress, anxiety and depression, take simple clinical tests and talk to therapists.

Technology will never be a panacea for mental illnesses, or our social failure to face up to them. But anything that makes them cheaper and easier and more mundane to deal with should be encouraged.

If you think the idea of Google assessing your state of mind and your phone monitoring you for depression is worrying, you’re right. But what’s more worrying is that allowing these things is the least bad option on mental health.

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby zangtang » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Last paragraph:
'If you think the idea of Google assessing your state of mind and your phone monitoring you for depression is worrying, you’re right.
But what’s more worrying is that allowing these things is the least bad option on mental health.'

Did you like the bit about your search string history & buying habits being used to analyse/diagnose you?

A real journalist would have written that whilst clever & creative as a theme in a dystopian scenario thats already technologically possible & the
R&D testing is really coming along, it is of course a wholly fucking atrocious idea (therefore inevitable) & everybody willingly involved should,
for the good of humanity, be pre-emptively murdered.

insert usual arsecovering non-condonement blather here.
possibly equally sickening is these traitors probly think they're clever - I worked out that stringsearch
bellweather symptom shit years ago.
zangtang

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion